art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7653

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > Forum Archives > Archived - WoT Discussion Boards > Book Tour: Towers of Midnight
User Name
Password

Old 01-24-2011, 01:35 AM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Terez
Default A new old report!

Marie managed to dig up a letter from RJ to Paul Ward on rasfw-rj. We've only had one quote from that letter for a long time now because the original had disappeared and only that one quote was on the old FAQ. Anyway, some good stuff in it:

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.a...ce5b151a?pli=1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Ward
(Possible questions: Does balefire affect itself? Can you balefire balefire? If you balefire another person, but then you get balefired, what happens to the person you balefire?)

1) "The balefire weave exists wholly or partly outside time, which removes it from its own effect."
-- This would have been helpful back during the balefire physics debates.

(Possible question: Who killed Asmodean?)

2) "I really think that the best suggestion for the murderer of Asmodean was that it was Moiraine acting under Compulsion imposed by Bela. Of course, that is not the answer, but it is the best suggestion from a fan."
--I can't remember who suggested that. It's the *best* suggestion?

(Possible question: Why did the ter'angreal doorway burn down when Lanfear and Moiraine passed through?)

3) "When Moiraine and Lanfear went through the ter'angreal, it burned in part because both were channeling, and the world on the other side of the doorway has a radically different set of natural laws. The odd optical effects witnessed in that other world are not artificially produced artifacts." (complete answer)
--The laws for channeling are different on the other side of the doorway...interesting.

(Possible question: What's up with the Accepted test ter'angreal?)

4) "Anyone being tested is merely a visitor, or rider, on whoever she is in [another reality.]"
-- Therefore, though Sharina may be a real person, it doesn't mean anything in terms of her future advising to the Malkier throne.

Verbatim:

"The places that novices visit while testing for Accepted are other realities, but it's not quite that simple. Anyone being tested is merely a visitor, or rider, on whoever she is in that world. Some of those who have not come back have died, and some have become absorbed in the different reality, but that is not to say that they are still alive in any sense that we would recognize. You really don't want to stay in the other reality, no matter how terrific it might seem."

(Possible question: Languages/accents?)

5) Seanchan -> Texas accent. TwoRivers->Irish/English accent. Illianers -> Dutch. Aiel -> somewhat Slavic. Tairen -> Spanish. Domani->Indian. Saldaean -> Egyptian/North African.

(Possible question: How did the 100 Companions link to make the seals on the DO's prison?)

6) "... they did not do it linked. They worked together individually, which made it more difficult, and that is part of the reason the seals have weakened so quickly. I never meant to imply linking. It is possible for large numbers to do a large project without linking, although it is more easily done in a circle."

(Possible question: Someone found a "Master Knifemaker" Herron. Was he the inspiration for heron-mark blades?)

7) "No... I am not familiar with him at all."

(Possible question: Is the DO pure TP? Why does the Creator ignore Randland except to talk to Rand at the end of TEotW?)

8) "No, the Dark One is not pure True Power. Who says the Creator takes little interest in the activities of mankind? And I will neither confirm nor deny that the Creator spoke to Rand."
-- Neither confirm nor deny? What's up with that?

(Possible question: ??)

9) "The taint and the True Power are both manifestations of the Dark One -- they are the same substance, but those who access it are not destroyed in the same way."
-- This would have been helpful -- but then again, may not -- during the taint theory debates.

There were a few other minor things as well, and of course:

(Lots of other questions)
10) "RAFO."
Those of you who are familiar with the interviews will recognize the one we already knew about (which raises the question about Farstrider's assumption that they used mirrors). The first question is not very helpful but still it's nice to have RJ commenting on balefiring balefire.
Old 01-24-2011, 02:43 AM
Elder

Juan has much to be proud ofJuan has much to be proud ofJuan has much to be proud ofJuan has much to be proud ofJuan has much to be proud ofJuan has much to be proud ofJuan has much to be proud ofJuan has much to be proud ofJuan has much to be proud ofJuan has much to be proud ofJuan has much to be proud of

Great info. Thanks, Paul, Marie, Terez.

I went to a garage sale. "How much for the garage?" "It's not for sale."
Old 01-24-2011, 04:45 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
3) "When Moiraine and Lanfear went through the ter'angreal, it burned in part because both were channeling, and the world on the other side of the doorway has a radically different set of natural laws. The odd optical effects witnessed in that other world are not artificially produced artifacts." (complete answer)
Then why did the doorway in Tear not burn down when Rand passed through it, channeling?
Mat saw him step out of it, holding that burning sword in his hand.

Quote:
5) Seanchan -> Texas accent. TwoRivers->Irish/English accent. Illianers -> Dutch. Aiel -> somewhat Slavic. Tairen -> Spanish. Domani->Indian. Saldaean -> Egyptian/North African.
I have an Illianer accent?
Old 01-24-2011, 06:28 AM
Hero of the Horn

Weird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonzoTheGreat View Post
Then why did the doorway in Tear not burn down when Rand passed through it, channeling?

Mat saw him step out of it, holding that burning sword in his hand.
The key is "In Part" -- Channeling alone won't ignite a doorway, but the other factors probably won't ignite it without the channeling being present.

(Now if I could just figure out which questions they go to. )

I met you in a past life. You were wrong then, too.
Old 01-24-2011, 10:03 AM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute

And that's the one quote we've always had.

Also, read the thread I linked. You aren't the only Dutchie to complain about that.
Old 01-24-2011, 11:43 PM
Hero of the Horn

Marie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond reputeMarie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond reputeMarie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond reputeMarie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond reputeMarie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond reputeMarie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond reputeMarie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond reputeMarie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond reputeMarie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond reputeMarie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond reputeMarie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond repute

It is intuitively obvious to the most casual observer that RJ's choice of 'best' answer for #2 must have been heavily influenced by Harriet. And that Bela received her orders directly from communing with the Dark One.
Old 01-24-2011, 11:49 PM
Ancient

Neilbert has a brilliant futureNeilbert has a brilliant futureNeilbert has a brilliant futureNeilbert has a brilliant futureNeilbert has a brilliant futureNeilbert has a brilliant futureNeilbert has a brilliant futureNeilbert has a brilliant futureNeilbert has a brilliant futureNeilbert has a brilliant futureNeilbert has a brilliant future

I know I've referenced number 1 in balefire debates over the years.
Old 01-25-2011, 12:18 AM
Youngling

Envelope is an unknown quantity at this point

"TwoRivers->Irish/English accent"

We speak NOTHING like the English! Don't group us all together..

But whatever, i'm chuffed RJ would base his best characters and greatest per-capita region of born leaders and talented channelers on the likes of yours truly

MANETHEREN ABU!
Old 01-25-2011, 12:33 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neilbert View Post
I know I've referenced number 1 in balefire debates over the years.
Yeah, there are a number of reports that were around at some point and disappeared for various reasons. We've found a bunch of them through Google like that one (Marie found the source for that), but there have been other scattered ones we've found through the Wayback Machine (thanks to SBC I think for that).

Thus Spake got most of them before 2000 or so (maybe it was more like 1998 - can't remember), and there are still a few (very few) from Thus Spake we haven't found the sources for, but we've found quite a few things that weren't on Thus Spake even though they were around at the time it was made. If you look at the link for that one you'll see Jason Denzel posting on the thread - he probably put it up at Dragonmount (but all their interview archives died a long time ago).

Basically, amateurs make sorry historians. But we try.
Old 01-25-2011, 12:55 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Envelope View Post
"TwoRivers->Irish/English accent"

We speak NOTHING like the English! Don't group us all together..

But whatever, i'm chuffed RJ would base his best characters and greatest per-capita region of born leaders and talented channelers on the likes of yours truly

MANETHEREN ABU!
I got the impression that RJ wanted the Two Rivers accent to pass for a variation of an Andoran accent, at least to foreigners - Rand's accent has been recognized as Andoran, and as Duopotamian. He probably pegged the Duopotamians with the Irish accent because we over here tend to see it as being more quaint and maybe backwoods in comparison to the posh English accent (sorry). We (in the US and Canada - our accents are more similar than Irish/English) can tell the difference between Irish and English accents but they sound more similar to each other than either does to our accent(s), so we see them as being closely related. We have a harder time (in general) differentiating between Irish and Scottish. Those sound very similar to us. It's probably the same in Randland.

Most of us (in the US and Canada) have a hard time telling the difference between standard American and Canadian accents, but there are regional accents that are easily identifiable to us within each country. A strange thing, that. A standard Canadian accent is like a mild form of the general Midwestern US accent, which is NOTHING like a standard Mississippi (MS) accent, for example. But an extreme New Orleans accent (a particular type) is very similar to an extreme Boston accent, which is also similar to the common accent of Point Cadet residents in Biloxi, MS (and no one else on the MS coast talks like that, though the towns close to the Louisiana border have a somewhat similar accent in certain social circles).

Etc.
Old 01-25-2011, 02:59 AM
Youngling

Fie is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I have an Illianer accent?
That didnīt astound me much, I have to say
I was dissapointed by Seanchan-Texan accent, you could see that coming, of course, but Iīd have preferred s.th. like an Osaka-drawl... I was mildly and pleasantly surprised about the Saldaean-Egyptian.

Thanks for the new old report, Terez.
Old 01-25-2011, 03:05 AM
Hero of the Horn

Thank Marie.
Old 01-25-2011, 05:38 PM
Ancient

Neilbert has a brilliant futureNeilbert has a brilliant futureNeilbert has a brilliant futureNeilbert has a brilliant futureNeilbert has a brilliant futureNeilbert has a brilliant futureNeilbert has a brilliant futureNeilbert has a brilliant futureNeilbert has a brilliant futureNeilbert has a brilliant futureNeilbert has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terez View Post
Basically, amateurs make sorry historians. But we try.
I'm pretty sure that losing track of source materials is par for the course, but I'm not a historian.
Old 01-25-2011, 06:15 PM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neilbert View Post
I'm pretty sure that losing track of source materials is par for the course, but I'm not a historian.
I'm not sure we quarrel enough, though, and we have never really tried to analyse the whole WOT from the viewpoint of the eternal class struggle either.
Old 01-25-2011, 06:26 PM
Hero of the Horn

Sure we have. Didn't we talk about Marxist principles re: the Age of Legends before? Not to mention the attitudes of the commoners vs the nobility under Hawkwing.

Just saying.
Old 01-25-2011, 10:37 PM
Youngling

Envelope is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I got the impression that RJ wanted the Two Rivers accent to pass for a variation of an Andoran accent, at least to foreigners - Rand's accent has been recognized as Andoran, and as Duopotamian. He probably pegged the Duopotamians with the Irish accent because we over here tend to see it as being more quaint and maybe backwoods in comparison to the posh English accent (sorry). We (in the US and Canada - our accents are more similar than Irish/English) can tell the difference between Irish and English accents but they sound more similar to each other than either does to our accent(s), so we see them as being closely related. We have a harder time (in general) differentiating between Irish and Scottish. Those sound very similar to us. It's probably the same in Randland.

Most of us (in the US and Canada) have a hard time telling the difference between standard American and Canadian accents, but there are regional accents that are easily identifiable to us within each country. A strange thing, that. A standard Canadian accent is like a mild form of the general Midwestern US accent, which is NOTHING like a standard Mississippi (MS) accent, for example. But an extreme New Orleans accent (a particular type) is very similar to an extreme Boston accent, which is also similar to the common accent of Point Cadet residents in Biloxi, MS (and no one else on the MS coast talks like that, though the towns close to the Louisiana border have a somewhat similar accent in certain social circles).

Etc.

Damnit i just typed out a big reply that got wiped somehow!

Anyways, when i read your OP I figured RJ meant that Andoran accent = typical well spoken English accent whereas Two Rivers was perhaps more rural or Irish.

Interesting thing about accents. I'd be able to differentiate say, typical Southern US, New York/Jersey, Boston, California, Louisiana but that's about it. I'd be hopeless with Canadian accents though or telling an atypical Canadian accent from middle of the road US accent.

No worries on the posh English as oppposed to backwoods Irish! Having said that, there's so many dfifferent English accents such as Birmingham, Liverpool, Lancashire, Yorkshire, Geordie as well as several different London accents, and lemme tell ya some of those are not posh by any stretch of the imagination .

Same thing with Irish accents, for a country that's only a fraction of the size of Texas we've got several very distinctive accents such as Kerry, Cork, Galway, Donegal, Dublin, Limerick or Derry. Some would sound very rough while others would be more... posh.. hmm that doesn't seem the right choice of word but whatever.

Anyway, this is all very interesting but not really in keeping with your OP so apologies.

P.S When in doubt of distinguishing between Irish and Scottish accents..
Scottish: Think Ewan McGregor, Braveheart and Shrek.
Irish: Think Gabriel Byrne, Bono or Liam Neeson but NOT the Boondock Saints!
Old 01-26-2011, 01:48 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Envelope View Post
Scottish: Think Ewan McGregor, Braveheart and Shrek.
What about Scottie?

Quote:
Irish: Think Gabriel Byrne, Bono or Liam Neeson but NOT the Boondock Saints!
I'd rather think of Desmond, my favorite pubtender in Dublin.
Old 02-13-2011, 01:55 PM
Hero of the Horn

Marie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond reputeMarie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond reputeMarie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond reputeMarie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond reputeMarie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond reputeMarie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond reputeMarie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond reputeMarie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond reputeMarie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond reputeMarie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond reputeMarie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Those of you who are familiar with the interviews will recognize the one we already knew about (which raises the question about Farstrider's assumption that they used mirrors).
Yeah, the Farstrider mirror thing bugged me when I first read it in TOM. And there are actually two quotes that indicate that the physical laws in Finnland are quite different, the one above and this one:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ
A Crown of Swords book tour 9 October 1996, Dunwoody, GA - Erica Sadun reporting

Q: Also, what was going on in Aelfland when Mat went round and round and round the same location? Were they traveling in time?

RJ: Not traveling in time, the physical laws of nature differ. Mentioning the Dark One here is bad luck. In Aelfland, it is really bad. You cannot go to Aelfland in Tel'aran'rhiod (similar to stedding).
So anyway, reading that section about the mirrors again, I think it was meant to show that Jain was just freaked out by the weirdness of Finnland:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ/BS
TITLE: Towers of Midnight
CHAPTER: 54 - The Light of the World

It had been a long walk before. Or had it been a short one? Time blended here. It seemed that they ran for many hours, yet it also felt like moments.

And then the doorway was in front of them, appearing like a striking adder. It had not been there a moment before. The rim of the opening was intricately carved wood, with an impossible pattern of weaving vines that seemed to double back on one another and make no sense.

All three pulled to a halt. "Mirrors," Noal said. "I've seen it before. That's how they do it, obscuring things with mirrors." He sounded unnerved. Where did one hide mirrors in a bloody straight tunnel?

They were in the right place; Mat could smell it. The stink of the Eelfinn was strongest here. He set his jaw and stepped through the doorway.
Old 02-14-2011, 05:44 AM
Hero of the Horn

Farstrider just tried to keep hold of his sanity, in an environment where that sanity was not actually rational.
Of course, just letting go of sanity would not have been guaranteed to have good results, either. There are bound to be a lot of ways of being bonkers that are incompatible with Finnland.

The "mirrors" thing allowed him to dismiss strange sightings and continue on, which was what he needed to do. So while he was factually wrong, it did work, which in a combat situation counts for a lot.
Old 02-18-2011, 11:17 PM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Farstrider just tried to keep hold of his sanity, in an environment where that sanity was not actually rational.
Of course, just letting go of sanity would not have been guaranteed to have good results, either. There are bound to be a lot of ways of being bonkers that are incompatible with Finnland.

The "mirrors" thing allowed him to dismiss strange sightings and continue on, which was what he needed to do. So while he was factually wrong, it did work, which in a combat situation counts for a lot.
Yes, lol, that was essentially my point - that Jain made up the mirrors thing in order to come up with some rationale for the strange physical laws he was experiencing in Finnland...