art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7611

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > WHEEL OF TIME FORUMS > General Wheel of Time Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 03-18-2011, 12:33 AM
Youngling

kenpoguy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How Can Moiraine Lie?

I had this thought and wanted to see if anyone else had had it previously. I didn't see anything with a quick search of the forum, so here we go...

How can Moiraine use an alias? Wouldn't her standing in front of someone stating "I am the Lady Alys" be a lie? Anytime she introduces her self as the Lady Alys, she is lying, which is not allowed based on the rules of the Aes Sedai and their oaths.

Does anyone recall if this was explained anywhere? Was Alys a nickname she had, or something like that?

I just had that thought after so many years of reading this series and listening to the audio books and didn't have an answer. Hopefully someone else with a better memory for this stuff has a theory on why.
Old 03-18-2011, 12:52 AM
Elder

Weiramon has a reputation beyond reputeWeiramon has a reputation beyond reputeWeiramon has a reputation beyond reputeWeiramon has a reputation beyond reputeWeiramon has a reputation beyond reputeWeiramon has a reputation beyond reputeWeiramon has a reputation beyond reputeWeiramon has a reputation beyond reputeWeiramon has a reputation beyond reputeWeiramon has a reputation beyond reputeWeiramon has a reputation beyond repute

No doubt she has foresworn the three oaths and gone over to the Shadow.

Here she will be known as Darkfriend.
Old 03-18-2011, 12:54 AM
Hero of the Horn

Isabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via MSN to Isabel

It's quite easy. it's also explained in the books.
She didn't say 'my name is lady Alys', but she said you may call me Lady Alys.
That's a big difference and not a lie.
'Rand al'Thor, Nynaeve shrieked, that is the most outrageous thing I ever heard out of your mouth. The very idea of telling three women you love them! You are worse than a lecher. You apologize right now!'

Isabel sedai of the Green Ajah, Amyrlin of the Official Nynaeve Fanclub, first sister to Gennie Sedai of the Green Ajah, bonded to Camel, Wolf Gaidin, Jachthond and ghostrider.
Old 03-18-2011, 12:56 AM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Terez

This seems to be a popular question lately. There was actually a debate about it on Twitter.
Old 03-18-2011, 01:56 AM
Elder

Juan has much to be proud ofJuan has much to be proud ofJuan has much to be proud ofJuan has much to be proud ofJuan has much to be proud ofJuan has much to be proud ofJuan has much to be proud ofJuan has much to be proud ofJuan has much to be proud ofJuan has much to be proud ofJuan has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isabel View Post
Right. I'll admit when reading the books I read the story and I don't look into the mysteries and theories and all that, so that usually results in me not being very observant. Therefore you may be able to find an instance of her "lying."
Note, however, that she can be wrong about things and has been before. But remember that in her mind she was being truthful. As far as I remember there are no instances of her lying. And as to you specific example, Isa has supplied the answer.

I went to a garage sale. "How much for the garage?" "It's not for sale."
Old 03-18-2011, 03:10 AM
Hero of the Horn

Weird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isabel View Post
This is also a very early example of "The truth an Aes Sedai speaks may not be the truth you hear" -- also known as "Aes Sedai Twisting of the Truth."

Quote:
Originally Posted by tEotW
Ch 9
[Tam Al'thor] "It's good enough. It has to be, doesn't it? You see, lad, Aes Sedai are tricksome. They don't lie, not right out, but the truth an Aes Sedai tells you is not always the truth you think it is. You take care around her."
Quote:
Originally Posted by TGH
Ch 3
Mat touched his coat over the dagger, not seeming to realize what he was doing. "'An Aes Sedai's gift is bait for a fish,'" he quoted. "Well, maybe I don't want to put the hook in my mouth. Maybe whatever she wants to do in Tar Valon is worse than if I don't go at all. Maybe she's lying. 'The truth an Aes Sedai tells is never the truth you think it is.'"
Quote:
Originally Posted by tDR
CH 1
Perrin did not ask what news. The women gave the information they brought only to Moiraine.

And the Aes Sedai tells us what she chooses. He thought. Aes Sedai never lied, but it was said that the truth an Aes Sedai told you was not always the truth you thought it was. Too late for qualms, now. Isn't it?

(Now if I could just figure out which questions they go to. )

I met you in a past life. You were wrong then, too.

Last edited by Weird Harold; 03-18-2011 at 06:28 PM.
Old 03-18-2011, 11:12 AM
Elder

nameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant future

All she needs is to convince one person to call her Lady Alys. Then she can tell the next person "I am called Lady Alys" and it won't be a lie.
Old 03-18-2011, 03:21 PM
Elder

One Armed Gimp is a name known to allOne Armed Gimp is a name known to allOne Armed Gimp is a name known to allOne Armed Gimp is a name known to allOne Armed Gimp is a name known to allOne Armed Gimp is a name known to allOne Armed Gimp is a name known to allOne Armed Gimp is a name known to allOne Armed Gimp is a name known to all

And Lan can always get it started too.

I can't believe this was debated on Twitter.
Old 03-18-2011, 04:23 PM
Youngling

csarmi is an unknown quantity at this point

Not to mention the fact that she IS Lady Alys. And why not? I AM csarmi, though that is not my real name. If I gave that on a forum, I wouldn't be lying.
Old 03-19-2011, 04:09 PM
Elder

Spasmodean is just really niceSpasmodean is just really niceSpasmodean is just really niceSpasmodean is just really nice

If you want to talk about Aes Sedai inconsistency with the Oaths I would offer the practise of stilling for discussion.
Old 03-19-2011, 04:16 PM
Hero of the Horn

Weird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spasmodean View Post
If you want to talk about Aes Sedai inconsistency with the Oaths I would offer the practise of stilling for discussion.
Why? How is Stilling relevant to discussion of the Three Oaths?

Old 03-19-2011, 04:34 PM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weird Harold View Post
Good question. It's not as if it is "using the OP as a weapon" in any way, is it?
Nor could the weave used be classified in any way as "a weapon for one man to kill another", as it is wielded by women*.

* In the case of stilling instead of gentling, it isn't even wielded against men.
Old 03-19-2011, 06:00 PM
Hero of the Horn

1Powerslave is a splendid one to behold1Powerslave is a splendid one to behold1Powerslave is a splendid one to behold1Powerslave is a splendid one to behold1Powerslave is a splendid one to behold1Powerslave is a splendid one to behold1Powerslave is a splendid one to behold1Powerslave is a splendid one to behold1Powerslave is a splendid one to behold1Powerslave is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via ICQ to 1Powerslave Send a message via MSN to 1Powerslave Send a message via Yahoo to 1Powerslave

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonzoTheGreat View Post
Good question. It's not as if it is "using the OP as a weapon" in any way, is it?
Nor could the weave used be classified in any way as "a weapon for one man to kill another", as it is wielded by women*.

* In the case of stilling instead of gentling, it isn't even wielded against men.
Lol. Stilling and gentling should be classified as severe battery. Even a switch of air could be used as a weapon.
Old 03-19-2011, 06:09 PM
Elder

Spasmodean is just really niceSpasmodean is just really niceSpasmodean is just really niceSpasmodean is just really nice

Quote:
What does practically Aes Sedai assume stilled woman go off and do?

You can find numerous quotes throughout the books where it's mentioned that stilled women basically crawl away to die.

As a result of the stilling.

It takes some really corkscrewy type logic for an Aes Sedai to detach the practise of stilling from the whole "not killing people with the power except etc etc".

But it's basically execution that takes a while to kick in; and many sisters express views to that effect.
Old 03-19-2011, 07:57 PM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spasmodean View Post
It takes some really corkscrewy type logic for an Aes Sedai to detach the practise of stilling from the whole "not killing people with the power except etc etc".
Which Oath is about "not killing people with the power?" It isn't the Third Oath:

Quote:
Upon being raised to the shawl, Aes Sedai swear three oaths on the Oath Rod which binds them to the oaths:

1. To speak no word that is not true.

2. To make no weapon for one man to kill another.

3. Never to use the One Power as a weapon except against Darkfriends or Shadowspawn, or in the last extreme of defending your own life, that of your Warder, or that of another sister.
An executioners axe or a surgeon's scalpel are not "weapons" they are tools for punishment and Stilling is a punishment; one does not use weapons to punish, one uses tools.

Semantic distinctions are the very lifeblood of Aes Sedai when it comes to the Oaths, but they are also the lifeblood civilization.

Old 04-17-2011, 08:13 AM
Elder

The Immortal One is just really niceThe Immortal One is just really niceThe Immortal One is just really niceThe Immortal One is just really niceThe Immortal One is just really nice

Quote:
An executioners axe or a surgeon's scalpel are not "weapons" they are tools for punishment and Stilling is a punishment; one does not use weapons to punish, one uses tools.
Wait.

You think a surgeon's scalpel is a tool for punishment?

RJ: Read And Find Out. I have grown so used to that answer, that when my wife asks me if I want to go out for dinner this evening, I sometimes say "Read and find out." That's usually when she hits me.
Old 04-17-2011, 10:48 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Immortal One View Post
Does it have any other uses?
Old 04-17-2011, 03:56 PM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Immortal One View Post
Wait.

When used to cause damage it is, much as the OP is a tool for punishment when used to sever someone's connection to the OP.

Old 04-17-2011, 04:17 PM
Elder

jana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond repute

I feel like I'm in a neverending loop (or wheel, if you will) with these questions.
Old 02-18-2012, 07:40 PM
Youngling

final death will become famous soon enough

Wieramon could be right i mean she could be a dark friend. Another possibliity is that she forgot her name and thought it was alys because she just read through the looking glass by lews carol a popular author in the wheel of time who writes nonsensical stories about a girl named alys.