art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7611

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > Forum Archives > Archived - WoT Discussion Boards > Book 13: Towers of Midnight
User Name
Password

Old 03-29-2011, 10:06 AM
Youngling

LewsTherin10 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moiraine and the Eelfin

Anyone have some ideas as to what Moiraine asked for from the Eelfinn? She mentions that her bracelet angreal is one of the gifts but won't tell Mat what the other two were.
Old 03-29-2011, 10:12 AM
Youngling

Grig has a brilliant futureGrig has a brilliant futureGrig has a brilliant futureGrig has a brilliant futureGrig has a brilliant futureGrig has a brilliant futureGrig has a brilliant futureGrig has a brilliant futureGrig has a brilliant futureGrig has a brilliant futureGrig has a brilliant future

Well, since she was naked we can assume she didn't ask for any other physical items. So that means she either requested knowledge, memories, or possibly ability augmentation? We don't really have a lot to go off of.
Old 03-29-2011, 02:17 PM
Youngling

Heinz will become famous soon enoughHeinz will become famous soon enough

Do we know specifically why Lanfear and Moiraine were held by the Eelfinn? I cannot recall off the top of my head, other than assuming that falling through the doorway while fighting may have upset the Eelfinn. I don't think that was ever confirmed though. Which would make sense for Moiraine to wish for Lanfear to be held, and the price was Moiraine herself would also be held.

The bond with Lan being snapped.. was she Stilled or burned out, and wished to be Healed? Would that have something to do with Cyndane's reduced Power? (I know many have speculated on that, but I don't think I ever saw a difinitive answer.)

I'm just thinking here, and trying to remember our reunion with Moiraine. I've only read ToM once, though I just reached that book again in my re-read now.
Old 03-29-2011, 03:37 PM
Elder

nameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant future

The implication is that the 'Finn prefer feeding off ta'veren and channelers to regular humans.

Moiraine wasn't stilled or burnt out, so the snap of the bond was likely caused by the collapse of the red stone doorway, which broke the only conduit the bond could use to link bondees across two different realities.
Old 03-29-2011, 03:54 PM
Youngling

Lightning is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't know why the bond with Lan was broken but I don't think she was stilled, and I don't know why they were held. It could have something to do with them channeling as they entered through the doorway and that being against the 'agreements'. I realize that both Rand and Moiraine were channeling when they left the doorway in Tear, but that could be the difference, channeling while entering or while leaving. Either way I don't think there is any solid evidence to support the thought.

Also whatever deal Moiraine made with the Finns I think the price she paid was her ability in the power, which they consumed. It should be pretty safe to say that whatever she asked for beside the bracelet has to do with Rand winning TG or being protected from the DOs influence. She is a blue after all, and her chosen mission is the Dragon Reborn.
Old 03-29-2011, 04:37 PM
Youngling

Heinz will become famous soon enoughHeinz will become famous soon enough

And, against my own thought, if she had been Stilled or burned out, she would no longer have the ageless features, which I don't recall were mentioned as having disappeared. So yea, that wasn't the reason.

Still, could Moiraine have asked for something so directly related to the Last Battle? Though we don't know as much about the doorway to the Eelfinn, the original questions they asked Mat were similar (though true, not exactly the same) to the Aelfinn. If those rules according to the Agreement were the same, the penalties for asking about things touching the Shadow may be the same as well. Though one could argue that her being held and reduced in power could account for the 'dire consequences' that can result.
Old 03-29-2011, 05:32 PM
Elder

nameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant future

I think the deal with Shadow-related questions and Finnland is that reality is different there and it's much easier to accidentally set off a "naming the Dark One" effect even if you don't actually say the name. It's not clear if the "dire consequences" are a direct result of attracting the Shadow to Finnland or something the Aelfinn do to punish you for putting them at risk.
Old 03-29-2011, 05:54 PM
Youngling

Quote:
Originally Posted by nameless View Post

Moiraine wasn't stilled or burnt out, so the snap of the bond was likely caused by the collapse of the red stone doorway, which broke the only conduit the bond could use to link bondees across two different realities.
I think this explanation makes sense in a lot of ways except the fact that Lan suffered all the physical effects of a broken bond and his bond was passed on to Myrelle. If the doorway acted as the conduit that linked them then it's collaps would block the contact between the bondees and in essence act similar to a masking of the bond. I believe that for the bond to disolve completely something a lot more profound needs to happen.

Which brings me to this question. How does the passing of time in the Finnlands relate to time in the real world? Could it be that the bond was severed when the Finn began feeding off of Moiraine? (assuming time went on much faster in the Finnlands). And if so have the three oaths been lifted as well?

From the events so far my understanding has been that whatever effects the three oaths would also effect the warder bond. Unless it was a deliberate act of unswearing the oaths or releasing a warder.

However upon being healed Siuan felt the bond again but was not bound by the oaths any more.

Ok I'm gonna stop rambling and arguing with myself.
Old 03-29-2011, 06:46 PM
Hero of the Horn

Crispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond repute

It's pretty clear she wasn't stilled, as she still retains the ability to channel AND the *Finn were feeding off her ability.

If Rand was able to ask about the Last Battle, so could Moiraine. However, she probably didn't ask any questions because she fell through to the Eel'finn, not the Ael'finn. I don't know if the same rules apply for requests of the Eel'finn. That is, could she ask for something that would help her defeat the Shadow? What would that even be?
Old 03-29-2011, 09:33 PM
Elder

Weiramon has a reputation beyond reputeWeiramon has a reputation beyond reputeWeiramon has a reputation beyond reputeWeiramon has a reputation beyond reputeWeiramon has a reputation beyond reputeWeiramon has a reputation beyond reputeWeiramon has a reputation beyond reputeWeiramon has a reputation beyond reputeWeiramon has a reputation beyond reputeWeiramon has a reputation beyond reputeWeiramon has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewsTherin10 View Post
Anyone have some ideas as to what Moiraine asked for from the Eelfinn? She mentions that her bracelet angreal is one of the gifts but won't tell Mat what the other two were.

A husband and a cup of hot tea.
Old 03-30-2011, 12:42 AM
Hero of the Horn

Frenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Frenzy Send a message via Yahoo to Frenzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightning View Post
I think this explanation makes sense in a lot of ways except the fact that Lan suffered all the physical effects of a broken bond and his bond was passed on to Myrelle. If the doorway acted as the conduit that linked them then it's collaps would block the contact between the bondees and in essence act similar to a masking of the bond. I believe that for the bond to disolve completely something a lot more profound needs to happen.
Ok, i've done my calming exercises for the last 10 minutes (the Moiraine scenes really really pissed me off.) The melted redstone doorway wasn't the only conduit into Finnland. The other door is still around, as
is the Tower of Ghenjei. Neither has to be "active" to provide a conduit, else the bond would've snapped when Moiraine went through in Tear.

No, i think all we'll get about the Bond is that it was severed because the plot needed it to be. It'll get a half-assed explanation, if we're lucky. Probably in the glossary.

Quote:
From the events so far my understanding has been that whatever effects the three oaths would also effect the warder bond. Unless it was a deliberate act of unswearing the oaths or releasing a warder.

However upon being healed Siuan felt the bond again but was not bound by the oaths any more.
I have a Theory about that.

"How the hell do you Godwin a thread with CUCUMBERS!!?" -- Tru

"I love cucumber prawn... " -- Ivhon

"Have to catch me first. Scared shitless always outruns mad as hell." -- Sinistrum

"Some days I'm happy Frenzy doesn't live next door." -- Tamyrlin

"So Frenzy is a scientist then?" -- Davian
"Well duh. An Evil scientist. " -- Khoram
Old 03-30-2011, 11:51 AM
Hero of the Horn

Crispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenzy View Post
Ok, i've done my calming exercises for the last 10 minutes (the Moiraine scenes really really pissed me off.) The melted redstone doorway wasn't the only conduit into Finnland. The other door is still around, as
is the Tower of Ghenjei. Neither has to be "active" to provide a conduit, else the bond would've snapped when Moiraine went through in Tear.

No, i think all we'll get about the Bond is that it was severed because the plot needed it to be. It'll get a half-assed explanation, if we're lucky. Probably in the glossary.

I have a Theory about that.
I was just telling T that I need to reread the scene. Do we have any actual proof that the bond has not been reinstated? Or might it have been if Moiraine hadn't arranged for the transfer? I guess we probably will never know...
Old 03-30-2011, 12:31 PM
Youngling

LewsTherin10 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have to agree with Frenzy on the whole bond thing. It was severed because it suited the plot. If it wasn't then everyone would have know that Moiraine was still alive.

It's the only evidence to suggest that Moiraine was stilled/burned out. However, I don't believe she was. The Eelfinn wanted to feed off of her power and that's why she is weaker. The same happened to Lanfear. Moiraine mentions that she awoke at one point in Finnland and a man was there who said that she wasn't the one he was looking for. This is most likely Moridin or Slayer coming to get Lanfear.

Moiraine says that no matter how she worded her request to escape that she knew-because of the Aelfinn visit in Tear-that she could only be rescued by Mat, so she used her wishes wisely. Mat asked her what her other 2 wishes were and she smiled replying that she was going to keep that to herself.

Maybe it has to do with Thom.
Old 03-30-2011, 12:44 PM
Elder

Zombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Zombie Sammael

"I wish for Mat and Thom to come and rescue me!

"I wish for Rand to be happy!

"I wish for... uh... I dunno, some sort of angreal I guess..."

Old 03-30-2011, 01:00 PM
Youngling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crispin's Crispian View Post
I was just telling T that I need to reread the scene. Do we have any actual proof that the bond has not been reinstated? Or might it have been if Moiraine hadn't arranged for the transfer? I guess we probably will never know...

The last scene in ToM was Lan confirming his bond being switched to Nynaeve. Was this before or after Moiraine's rescue? I don't know. Would Moiraine have asked to bond Thom if the bond had been re-established? Or did she ask because it wasn't? Or because it was and she meant to release Lan of his bond? It might yet turn out that Lan's original bond has been re-established, and we just haven't reached that point in his time line.

One more reason why the organization of this book in terms of timing takes away from the overall experience.
Old 03-30-2011, 03:43 PM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
The last scene in ToM was Lan confirming his bond being switched to Nynaeve. Was this before or after Moiraine's rescue? I don't know. Would Moiraine have asked to bond Thom if the bond had been re-established? Or did she ask because it wasn't? Or because it was and she meant to release Lan of his bond? It might yet turn out that Lan's original bond has been re-established, and we just haven't reached that point in his time line.

One more reason why the organization of this book in terms of timing takes away from the overall experience.
As I was writing that, I realized that the bond was definitely transferred to Myrelle, then Nynaeve (we assume). Even if it had been re-establishable, it's now been moved.

That said, I need again to reread the scene with Lan. Doesn't he just assume it was Nynaeve? Wouldn't it be hilarious if it was Moiraine? I mean...objectively.
Old 03-30-2011, 05:39 PM
Elder

fdsaf3 has a brilliant futurefdsaf3 has a brilliant futurefdsaf3 has a brilliant futurefdsaf3 has a brilliant futurefdsaf3 has a brilliant futurefdsaf3 has a brilliant futurefdsaf3 has a brilliant futurefdsaf3 has a brilliant futurefdsaf3 has a brilliant futurefdsaf3 has a brilliant futurefdsaf3 has a brilliant future
Default What are the conditions of bonds being passed?

If it's at will, then Moiraine could have set up some sort of logical if-then sequence to pass the bond. I'm just wondering if there's a way she could have set up something like "when I go through to the land of the 'Fins, pass my bond". She went through the ter'angreal in Rhuidean, so she saw glimpses of the future. Maybe she saw herself in the trance and knew to pass the bond prior to that.

I guess my main question is if the bond being passed requires immediate and conscious actions as opposed to pre-planned events.
Old 03-30-2011, 06:32 PM
Youngling

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdsaf3 View Post
If it's at will, then Moiraine could have set up some sort of logical if-then sequence to pass the bond. I'm just wondering if there's a way she could have set up something like "when I go through to the land of the 'Fins, pass my bond". She went through the ter'angreal in Rhuidean, so she saw glimpses of the future. Maybe she saw herself in the trance and knew to pass the bond prior to that.

I think Moiraine set up the bond's passing long before she ever learned any thing from the doorway in Tear or rings in Ruhidian. From what I remember she told Lan that she had passed his bond in TGH and considering the sequence of events and the fact that she said 'before we left the WT I did this' (I'm paraphrasing here) she had set up the bond's passing before they even went to Emond's Field. So I don't see how she could have made adjustments without Myrelle's presence. Then again, what do I know, I can't channel so that could be totally possible.
Old 03-30-2011, 07:07 PM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
I think Moiraine set up the bond's passing long before she ever learned any thing from the doorway in Tear or rings in Ruhidian. From what I remember she told Lan that she had passed his bond in TGH and considering the sequence of events and the fact that she said 'before we left the WT I did this' (I'm paraphrasing here) she had set up the bond's passing before they even went to Emond's Field. So I don't see how she could have made adjustments without Myrelle's presence. Then again, what do I know, I can't channel so that could be totally possible.
It's actually a great question, I think. I mean, I doubt it's the case, but why couldn't she have set it up to pass the bond voluntarily at any time? We don't know how it all works, so theoretically as long as you weave it into the spirit of the other AS you could set up a switch. A simple channeling "charm" and suddenly the bond is passed.

That neatly solves the problem.
Old 03-30-2011, 09:50 PM
Hero of the Horn

Frenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Frenzy Send a message via Yahoo to Frenzy

If she passed the bond, why did Lan suffer as if the bond snapped? Or was Myrelle lying when she said she had to work to keep him alive?

Something caused the bond to break as if one member had died. "The Finns used their evil magic to do it" may be the only logical explanation.

joy.

"How the hell do you Godwin a thread with CUCUMBERS!!?" -- Tru

"I love cucumber prawn... " -- Ivhon

"Have to catch me first. Scared shitless always outruns mad as hell." -- Sinistrum

"Some days I'm happy Frenzy doesn't live next door." -- Tamyrlin

"So Frenzy is a scientist then?" -- Davian
"Well duh. An Evil scientist. " -- Khoram