art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7653

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > Hey New Users of Theoryland!
User Name
Password

Old 06-18-2011, 12:22 AM
Youngling

the_collective has much to be proud ofthe_collective has much to be proud ofthe_collective has much to be proud ofthe_collective has much to be proud ofthe_collective has much to be proud ofthe_collective has much to be proud ofthe_collective has much to be proud ofthe_collective has much to be proud ofthe_collective has much to be proud ofthe_collective has much to be proud ofthe_collective has much to be proud of
Default I can stay silent no longer.

Hello, everyone. I will be posting a great many ideas I've been wanting to share as I continue my reread. It's all about the details, so it may take some time to gather evidence for said thoughts.

I've been a lurker here for quite some time and I'm familiar with most of what goes on, so as long as I can figure out these controls (I never post on forums of any kind, frankly, and am not very savvy), I will be participating.
Old 06-18-2011, 02:41 AM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Terez

Welcome. At first I thought you were a spammer. But I guess not.
Old 06-18-2011, 11:42 AM
Hero of the Horn

DahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant future
Send a message via MSN to DahLliA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terez View Post
you sound so disappointed

welcome Col !

<- beer
-> traps for spammers

(hint: go left)

"'Profound... huh.' Temper was silent for a long moment, studying the cobbles of the alley mouth. And then he lifted his helmed head, faced Shadowthrone, and said, 'Fuck off.'"
Old 06-19-2011, 06:41 PM
Elder

Madgod is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello and welcome to TL! Have fun in the insanity.
Old 06-20-2011, 12:29 PM
Youngling

the_collective has much to be proud ofthe_collective has much to be proud ofthe_collective has much to be proud ofthe_collective has much to be proud ofthe_collective has much to be proud ofthe_collective has much to be proud ofthe_collective has much to be proud ofthe_collective has much to be proud ofthe_collective has much to be proud ofthe_collective has much to be proud ofthe_collective has much to be proud of
Default Welcome?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terez View Post

I know you've got a fetish for putting noobs in their place, Terez, (not to mention assuming that each and every one of them has nothing important or worthwhile to contribute to the discussion in question - I've seen you admit as much) but does this count as a "welcome" message from you? I can't tell...

It is good to be here, and I hope to make a lasting impression. Thank you for the welcome messages (yours, too, Terez)!!
Old 06-20-2011, 12:32 PM
Hero of the Horn

Sarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to behold

Seems I'm late to the party, but...
WELCOME!!!

the Grey Viper, the Lord of Forsaken Roads, the Pink Sunset
Old 06-20-2011, 12:33 PM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_collective View Post
(not to mention assuming that each and every one of them has nothing important or worthwhile to contribute to the discussion in question - I've seen you admit as much)
You're twisting my words. Quote them, and we'll talk about it.

Quote:
but does this count as a "welcome" message from you? I can't tell...
Despite me saying so explicitly? I must say, not very promising...
Old 06-20-2011, 05:49 PM
Hero of the Horn

Crispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond repute

You're from Portland, eh? Is your name Matt?
Old 06-21-2011, 05:10 AM
Elder

The Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond repute

My best bud is a Matt in Portland. I'm in or myself, but we are both from the SF bay.
Old 06-21-2011, 02:10 PM
Hero of the Horn

Crispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Unreasoner View Post
My best bud is a Matt in Portland. I'm in or myself, but we are both from the SF bay.
I think you're saying you're in Oregon, but I'm not sure.

Whereabouts?

And a Matt from my high school is one of the two guys that introduced me to WoT. In Oregon.
Old 06-21-2011, 02:49 PM
Hero of the Horn

Don't go away now after you've finally worked up the nerve to break your silence; I don't hold grudges. I saw you hanging out in the question thread so I have a pretty good idea what comments you were referring to. Indeed, they were pretty harsh, but that was mostly because a certain person was being antagonistic and annoying. And the comments were true (and not quite what you said).

(In other words, noobs can feel free to answer other noobs' questions on the question thread, but when you give inaccurate answers, don't complain when someone else comes along and gives better ones with no regard for yours. Pretty simple.)

As for my welcome...I'm not much for ceremony. I like reading noob threads but I don't generally give the standard-type comments.
Old 06-21-2011, 02:50 PM
Elder

The Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond repute

Eugene. Funnily enough, I tried to interest him in wot myself, but I think the 11 books at the time may have seemed a bit daunting. When I started them myself I was in middle school and had the from the two rivers book, liked it, but for some reason thought that the books up to cot were all part of teotw, and I was a bit put off.
Old 06-21-2011, 02:53 PM
Elder

@Terez,
I certainly hope that wasn't me.
Old 06-21-2011, 03:00 PM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome!

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Theoryland: Just Some Crazy In A Pot
Old 06-27-2011, 06:41 PM
Youngling

Default Sorry to skip out on everyone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crispin's Crispian View Post
You're from Portland, eh? Is your name Matt?
To answer your question, Crispin's Crispian, no my name is not "Matt". Nor do I know any "Matt" that reads/has read the WoT. I don't mind telling you that my name is "Tony." I'm pleased to make your acquaintance, fellow Theorylanders. I am quite happy to be here, as I've followed the works presented on this site for a couple of years now.

It was mostly unintentional that I neglected this thread. I merely assumed no one would comment further on what little I'd said, and furthermore I'd made an ass of myself by making a comment to Terez about not welcoming me when she did in fact say the word "Welcome" as the first word of the post I gave her crap about (obviously I'd missed that the first time). Sorry, Terez. I sorta wanted to hide my shame by not replying, but you have my apology and my respect.

I live in North Portland, not just near the city - and certainly nowhere near Eugene. I've never been to a WoT signing here, nor do I know of anyone beyond my own circle of friends that has read/is interested in WoT, even though I do see a number of people reading it daily on the wonderful public transportation service we have here. I certainly would like to have discussions with live people about the WoT, but as it is, I am by far the most "hard-core" of all my WoT-reading friends.
Old 06-27-2011, 07:34 PM
Hero of the Horn

It's okay; like I said, no grudges. I just get a little antsy when noobs show up and it looks like the only reason they started posting was because they felt like they had a bone to pick with me. It happens a lot, and it gets old; surely we have better things to do. So, nothing personal - it's a cumulative thing.
Old 06-27-2011, 09:09 PM
Youngling

I likewise hold nothing against you or any of your posted views, Terez (including the aforementioned negative ones directed at me, as I deserved it). On the contrary, I've taken great pleasure in reading the tools you've painstakingly helped to organize so that people like me don't have to troll the entire internet to find relevant, reliable information about WoT.

It's because of this site and 13th Depository that I am currently so obsessed with all things WoT. I am a smart guy, but I haven't a mind for metaphor and symbolism; it not only took blatant references to point out that these were present within the books in the first place, I had to be told what each and every one of them meant, as I have never been exposed to the fact that writers use this stuff all the time. I've only recently learned that all the stories I've loved to read for so long, such as the WoT, LotR, the Dune series, the Death Gate Cycle, etc. have (and have always had) varying degrees of allegory/metaphor/symbolism that I'd completely missed (indeed, didn't even know to try to look for). In reading books, I took everything at face value and the only reading-into it I did was to try to cursorily come up with a moral the author might have been trying for.

Suffice to say you've all opened my eyes to a new world and I thank everyone that has contributed to the discussions that happen here. I hope that more casual readers of the WoT happen upon quality sites like this one over the years; RJ was an amazing writer, and he would've liked to have us all "read and find out" just how clever he was.
Old 06-28-2011, 11:45 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
To answer your question, Crispin's Crispian, no my name is not "Matt". Nor do I know any "Matt" that reads/has read the WoT. I don't mind telling you that my name is "Tony." I'm pleased to make your acquaintance, fellow Theorylanders. I am quite happy to be here, as I've followed the works presented on this site for a couple of years now.

I live in North Portland, not just near the city - and certainly nowhere near Eugene. I've never been to a WoT signing here, nor do I know of anyone beyond my own circle of friends that has read/is interested in WoT, even though I do see a number of people reading it daily on the wonderful public transportation service we have here. I certainly would like to have discussions with live people about the WoT, but as it is, I am by far the most "hard-core" of all my WoT-reading friends.
Hmm... It was a joke, man. I live in Beaverton, but grew up in Troutdale. Like you, I only know a few people here that read WoT, but then I don't talk about it that much. I haven't been to a signing, either, though I might break out of my shell if Brandon comes to town with aMoL.

There's one other guy in the Portland area that comes to TL...or used to. Sei'taer and I met him at Powell's a couple years ago--Herid Fel. He hasn't been around for a long time. He got busy with work and wives and kids.
Old 06-28-2011, 02:57 PM
Youngling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crispin's Crispian View Post
Hmm... It was a joke, man.
I hope it didn't seem like I took offense or anything; I was just answering what I saw as a perfectly legitimate question.

The majority of my close friends graduated from Reynolds in Troutdale; I'm curious if that's where you went as well, as a small possibility exists that we may have a mutual acquaintance. At any rate, thanks for your reply.
Old 06-28-2011, 03:21 PM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
I hope it didn't seem like I took offense or anything; I was just answering what I saw as a perfectly legitimate question.

The majority of my close friends graduated from Reynolds in Troutdale; I'm curious if that's where you went as well, as a small possibility exists that we may have a mutual acquaintance. At any rate, thanks for your reply.
No problem. Sent you a PM.