art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7653

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > WHEEL OF TIME FORUMS > General Wheel of Time Discussion
User Name
Password

Closed Thread

Old 06-20-2011, 04:09 PM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Terez
Default Because every forum needs rules.

As some of you may have noticed, this forum has about fifty moderators. About half of them are currently active members, and about half of those regularly check in on the WoT forums. As a general rule, Theorylanders are lazy, and therefore aside from spam-zapping you won't see much moderator action here and most of it will be from my direction because I live here and I like for things to be somewhat organized. So, rules (and not very prohibitive ones).

1. Tamyrlin and Nae'blis are known to step in and settle flamewars. I don't do this because I am usually involved. (Contrary to popular belief this is easy enough to avoid.) I will, however, be rather hard on trolling, because trolling makes me angry, and me being angry is bad for everyone.

2. Egwene-hate. It shall be confined to one thread only. It is totally irrelevant to most discussions, but somehow it always comes up. When it is relevant to discussions, it usually degenerates quickly into a series-spanning quotefest in order to prove how horrible she is. Threads which degenerate into this sort of thing will be subject to merging into the One Thread. Threadstarters should attempt to moderate their threads in this respect lest their threads become forfeit; members should respect the requests of the thread-starter. (Individual posts can be moved.)

3. The question thread. It should not degenerate into longwinded discussions about anything. If it's that interesting, start a new thread. I often will move posts and much more rarely even (soft) delete them.

4. Create interesting threads, but don't be intimidated. The question thread is for simple questions; otherwise, think outside the typical Wheel of Time discussions. We love it when noobs post a question or thought that we haven't considered.

5. Don't start fights, and please, for the love of the BIWIDNB, don't start fights with me. You may of course disagree with me, but consider the below.

6. Make use of the available resources (see my sig). We don't expect you to know everything or anything close to it; I don't know everything, and most of the old-timers here don't know as much as me (though I imagine some of them have forgotten more than I ever knew; I'm getting there myself). It's okay; you don't have to be an expert to be a Hard Core Fan Freak. But there should be a more or less balanced ratio between 1) how much you avail yourself of those resources and 2) how aggressively opinionated you are. It's only common sense. If you think you have this great theory, try googling it first off, like 'OLVER IS GAIDAL CAIN' and see what you get. If that doesn't get you anything, then dig into the resources in my sig.

7. Aside from the aforementioned exceptions, threadjacking is not prohibited in any way (aside from aggressive derailing, otherwise known as trolling), because that's just how we roll. Any thread (aside from the question thread) is subject to being jacked by an unrelated or even inane discussion (as long as it's not Egwene). If it's WoT-relevant, it usually helps to add tags to the thread so that people can see from the forum menu what each thread contains.

8. Quotes are good. Since we (the old-timers) often expect everyone to take our word for what we say about the books, we can often seem too demanding of noobs when it comes to quotes. Usually that's because we have a thorough-enough knowledge of the series to know when someone is saying something that isn't true. Sometimes we will know exactly which quote you are referring to, and exactly how you misinterpreted it, and we'll ask you to dig up the quote just to see if you'll figure it out on your own. That being said, we are happy to provide quotes for our own assertions upon request; we just get lazy. Every now and then, we are even guilty of having misinterpreted something ourselves.

9. Keep in mind that new members are by default noobs until we have reason to believe otherwise. No offense is meant; we simply remember what it was like when we were noobs and we didn't know anything, and we assume most noobs are like we were. In other words, don't be surprised if we assume you don't have a very thorough knowledge of WoT because you are a new member, especially if you have already made mistakes. We are very good at this; we can usually tell how much WoT-fu you have after a few posts.

10. From Tamyrlin himself: "We are HCFFs - You can be too." In other words, jump in, whether you have the fu or not. We only have a year or so left to theorize, and it should be good fun.

P.S. - From time to time we give special privileges to members that might run contrary to the rules above because the community seems to have accepted their brand of freak into the fold. If you encounter such and it is not your "cup of freak tea", don't forget the forums have a built in ignore feature.

Last edited by Terez; 03-30-2012 at 02:06 PM.
Old 06-21-2011, 06:57 PM
Youngling

cindy is just really nicecindy is just really nicecindy is just really nicecindy is just really nicecindy is just really nicecindy is just really nice

sorry, i didn't realize the thread i started was stupid, because it was interesting to me, which i know means nothing to most of the humans.

no hard feelings if you delete it. i don't think anyone else cares, either.
Old 06-21-2011, 07:13 PM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not sure which thread you're talking about. I'm pretty sure I haven't merged any of your threads, and I haven't deleted any threads at all. Just some posts here and there (and none of yours).
Old 06-21-2011, 07:50 PM
Youngling

cindy is just really nicecindy is just really nicecindy is just really nicecindy is just really nicecindy is just really nicecindy is just really nice

the silly one about the postscript from dickens our mutual friend in other books discussion. maybe it's ok to be dumb in other books discussion? cause i can't tell ahead of time how dumb i am. sorry. ignore me if i'm being even sillier here, please, again sorry.
Old 06-21-2011, 08:09 PM
Hero of the Horn

haha, well...I found your thread, and it's not dumb, but I suppose I can see why it didn't get much discussion. For one, there aren't many Dickens fans around here, despite RJ's love for the guy. For another, the point of the post seems to be anti-Theoryland? But I didn't see it till just now, so I wasn't purposefully ignoring it for those reasons. And no need to apologize.
Old 06-21-2011, 08:19 PM
Youngling

but it wasn't meant to be antitheoryland, just the opposite.

dickens was paving the way for the kinds of things RJ did, weaving threads of patterns throughout months (in RJ's case years) of publications, and expecting that at least some readers would be able to see the weave of the pattern by deduction and reason, and recall of the whole. something that was not assumed to be true when he started doing it. austen does it too, especially in emma, the concealing and revealing at the same time, the placing of small hints that only become obvious on re-reads.

so i'm glad that it wasn't dumb, but i'm sorry it sounded anti theoryland. it wasn't meant to be.

and now, though it is permitted, i'll stop this threadjacking, just wanted to clarify that, cause i never expected it to be taken that way.

i just took it as a dickensian baby step toward the kind of active, thinking, reading and solving that RJs writing would expand into a project of so many years, with so many threads to be recalled and understood.

'k, thanks for responding, bye
Old 06-21-2011, 08:23 PM
Hero of the Horn

Ah, I thought it was one of those 'you can't figure out what RJ intended so there's no point bothering' kind of things. And no worries about threadjacking. People are allowed to discuss the rules.
Old 06-22-2011, 06:11 AM
Hero of the Horn

Spidy is a name known to allSpidy is a name known to allSpidy is a name known to allSpidy is a name known to allSpidy is a name known to allSpidy is a name known to allSpidy is a name known to allSpidy is a name known to all
Send a message via MSN to Spidy

Actually, they don't.

But lets have some anyway.
Old 06-22-2011, 10:40 PM
Hero of the Horn

Ishara has disabled reputation
Send a message via MSN to Ishara

Spidy, come join us in Tel'aran'rhiod.

Rand: You are an insensitive bastard!!!
Mat: And you ruined another hat!

It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by lightening. -- Calvin

"Gee, I wish I could do magic! Maybe I'll try!" --SDog

Official Vixen of Theoryland and Theoryland Siren

Grain Goddess, the Rood Inverse, the Mad Glomper
Old 06-23-2011, 06:54 AM
Elder

greatwolf will become famous soon enoughgreatwolf will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terez View Post
I don't do this because I am usually involved. (Contrary to popular belief this is easy enough to avoid

What do you mean you're easy to avoid?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terez
4. Don't start dumb threads.

From you?

Quote:
5. Don't start fights,
Does that mean you want to reform?

Last edited by Terez; 06-24-2011 at 08:56 PM. Reason: trolling
Old 06-23-2011, 08:16 AM
Hero of the Horn

Jokeslayer has a reputation beyond reputeJokeslayer has a reputation beyond reputeJokeslayer has a reputation beyond reputeJokeslayer has a reputation beyond reputeJokeslayer has a reputation beyond reputeJokeslayer has a reputation beyond reputeJokeslayer has a reputation beyond reputeJokeslayer has a reputation beyond reputeJokeslayer has a reputation beyond reputeJokeslayer has a reputation beyond reputeJokeslayer has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Jokeslayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatwolf View Post
What do you mean you're easy to avoid?

From you?

Does that mean you want to reform?
I expect this to end well.

greatwolf, if you want to discuss the rules or Terez's enforcement of them, a more constructive tone would be helpful.

Last edited by Terez; 06-24-2011 at 08:57 PM. Reason: removed greatwolf's trollish comment
Old 06-23-2011, 09:59 AM
Hero of the Horn

Vardene is, like Felix, immanently ignorable.
Old 06-23-2011, 01:50 PM
Elder

The Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond repute

Am I allowed to cry now?

Last edited by Tamyrlin; 06-23-2011 at 01:53 PM.
Old 06-23-2011, 01:53 PM
Lord of the Board

Tamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Tamyrlin
Default Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Unreasoner View Post
Am I allowed to cry now?
Crying is allowed.
Old 06-23-2011, 02:05 PM
Elder

The Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond repute

You know however hilarious I find the existence of rules, it's not worth posting here.
It's like I'm under god damn compulsion.
Laughing/crying my ass off, whichever best pleases terez and the boss.
-The real Unreasoner
Old 06-23-2011, 07:43 PM
Hero of the Horn

Jokeslayer has a reputation beyond reputeJokeslayer has a reputation beyond reputeJokeslayer has a reputation beyond reputeJokeslayer has a reputation beyond reputeJokeslayer has a reputation beyond reputeJokeslayer has a reputation beyond reputeJokeslayer has a reputation beyond reputeJokeslayer has a reputation beyond reputeJokeslayer has a reputation beyond reputeJokeslayer has a reputation beyond reputeJokeslayer has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terez View Post
7. Aside from the aforementioned exceptions, threadjacking is not prohibited in any way (aside from aggressive derailing, otherwise known as trolling), because that's just how we roll. Any thread (aside from the question thread) is subject to being jacked by an unrelated or even inane discussion (as long as it's not Egwene). If it's WoT-relevant, it usually helps to add tags to the thread so that people can see from the forum menu what each thread contains.
Just to be clear, does this include non-wot-themed derailing of wot-themed threads on the wot boards?
Old 06-23-2011, 08:12 PM
Hero of the Horn

Eh, in general I think we should probably try to avoid it. But in certain cases, real-world things are relevant to discussion.
Old 06-23-2011, 08:29 PM
Hero of the Horn

That's pretty much what I figured, thanks.
Old 06-24-2011, 07:41 AM
Elder

greatwolf will become famous soon enoughgreatwolf will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jokeslayer View Post
I expect this to end well.

greatwolf, if you want to discuss the rules or Terez's enforcement of them, a more constructive tone would be helpful.
~groans~

You want me to get constructive with Terez?

Last edited by Terez; 06-24-2011 at 08:52 PM. Reason: trolling
Old 06-24-2011, 08:32 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Constructive or productive, that's just quibbling over words, isn't it?
Closed Thread