art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7653

Logged In (1): aalcazarwilb,

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > Forum Archives > Archived - WoT Discussion Boards > Archived: General Wheel of Time Discussion - 05/2008 - 03/2012
User Name
Password

Old 06-21-2011, 04:39 AM
Elder

The Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond repute
Angry I hate Gareth Bryne

Do you feel that maybe mat had it too easy?
Does siuan's sycophancy give you a headache?
Is rand getting more obnoxiously preachy by the day?
Perhaps you are nauseated by the plethora of dull characters with an inordinate amount of screen time.
If you hate...hate with all of your heart...common sense being passed off as uncommon cleverness...
If you find thom to be a smug little bastard, and Gawyn tiptoeing around decisions makes you itch inside...
If galad came across as creepy with Egwene...
If with Egwene herself you find yourself noticing the absence of scenes to demonstrate competence and cleverness and instead a double helping of ones featuring people talking about her competence...

Join me in hating Garth Bryne.
As boring as any Aes Sedai, as preachy as rand (as if we even care about Bryne's opinions), as incompetent as the forsaken, a bigger pervert than galad, a bigger stalker than min. A storyline devoid of challenges that even the biggest mat haters, few they may be, must acknowledge. A huge suck up. As much a smug little bastard as thom until Rahvin did the world a service and knocked him down a few pegs.

My biggest complaint with Egwene is that she somehow commands respect without, in my opinion, earning it, at least not in the amount she enjoys it. She is also thought of as clever somehow. I look for scenes where she solves a problem in a truly innovative way, finds a good solution where none are obvious, but I fail to locate one. There are several spots where one could potentially be, I was legitimately curious what to do with the aging Warder of the white (my gut says either release him or remind him that as Warder to a white battles are generally not an everyday occurrence and otherwise reassure him. But of course it couldn't be so obvious if there was a question, and the scene was missed anyway). Egwene's redemption comes from the existence of some sisters who do not, as lightning said, "fawn all over her"

Gareth has no such counterweight. He is considered one of the five great captains, and is so respected by the whole world, even by the seanchan. I am convinced he is number five, and it is a sharp drop from four to five. He is only included because he is andoran, and Andor enjoys being number one or two at everything. Great steel, heaviest coins, most beautiful capital, largest population, most powerful...andor was created by the author to be the clear number 1. So they get a great captain too, fine. The number becomes five only because for whatever reason the author wants to give andor a great captain. Ituralde is brilliant, resourceful, clever. Niall is clever, resourceful (he got balwer after all), and disciplined. Agelmar is disciplined, dutiful, and inspiring. Bashere is clever, disciplined, and inspiring. Bryne is sh*t. He may be inspiring but only because of some placebo effect. The lying little schmuck allegedly served three queens, but that still really only leaves needing to hold against pathetic murandians and cairhienin squabbling amongst themselves. And a bit for the aiel, but ill bet the coward fought as little as possible, which was smart, but likely taught him little. He beats women, chuckles when he threatens to rape them, and is a dirty old man anyway. He hasn't accomplished sh*t except following siuan to salidar. Any competent man who was captain general for andor would have been named a great captain.

He is a world class douchebag, totally incompetent, and boring to boot. Reading a scene with him makes me want to attend a book burning. He could be balefired to the First Day and the pattern would be fine. I can't wait until he is crushed by Trollocs in some fortified village around tar valon because he is such a spiteful lazy a** he didn't bother to plan a borderland defense, even though he knew the borderland armies are out of position. I would love Taim to literally tear him a new one before explaining to the prick that he is an obsolete, pathetic, unemployed, accident of creation.

Last edited by Terez; 08-21-2011 at 10:23 AM.
Old 06-21-2011, 05:19 AM
Elder

The Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond repute

Perhaps it bears mentioning that someone did actually ask me why I hated the guy, I'm not just bashing out of the blue.
Old 06-21-2011, 05:28 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Unreasoner View Post
Do you feel that maybe mat had it too easy?
Does siuan's sycophancy give you a headache?
Is rand getting more obnoxiously preachy by the day?
I feel that you are sounding like Anne Robinson. You are the weakest link. Goodbye.

As to Bryne:
"For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill." - Sun Tzu
Old 06-21-2011, 05:43 AM
Elder

Daekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond repute

Strangely enough, this is one of the best disguised Egwene bashing threads I've ever seen.

good stuff unreasoner.

Although, on your main point, Bryne is not really any of the things you describe. But hey, all literature is up for interpretation. Otherwise, what's the point?

He just got carried away a bit this time, probably as a result of his marriage-gonzothegreat

Son of Nazbaque, Lord of Fire
Old 06-21-2011, 05:57 AM
Hero of the Horn

Jokeslayer has a reputation beyond reputeJokeslayer has a reputation beyond reputeJokeslayer has a reputation beyond reputeJokeslayer has a reputation beyond reputeJokeslayer has a reputation beyond reputeJokeslayer has a reputation beyond reputeJokeslayer has a reputation beyond reputeJokeslayer has a reputation beyond reputeJokeslayer has a reputation beyond reputeJokeslayer has a reputation beyond reputeJokeslayer has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Jokeslayer

This thread is like a trainwreck, except I can look away.
Old 06-21-2011, 06:02 AM
Elder

It's not intended to be a veiled Egwene bashing thread. Bryne still has plenty of enemies around. The ones not around weren't subdued by any action or inaction on his part.

Maybe my annoyance is more with Jordan for creating him so badly. Certainly I got a little Unreasonable in some of the attacks.

Maybe its my love for the underdog, but every time yet another thing is claimed as awesome for andor, I get a bit more pissed off.

When he had his talks with Gawyn and gave him advice, the word "douchebag" saturated my mind.

I dislike Egwene. I hate Bryne. And moghedien, but that's easy to explain-she's incompetent and I like nynaeve.
Old 06-21-2011, 06:05 AM
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jokeslayer View Post
This thread is like a trainwreck, except I can look away.
Please do. I didn't want to write this at all, except that someone wondered why I hated Bryne so much, and I can't sleep from nicotine withdrawal.

I just quit smoking.
Old 06-21-2011, 06:05 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
When he had his talks with Gawyn and gave him advice, the word "douchebag" saturated my mind.
And what did you think of Bryne in those scenes?
Old 06-21-2011, 06:16 AM
Elder

Surely this is a joke, except I do not get it.
I must be the but of it lol

I thought he was a douchebag, speaking with such authority but just spewing common sense.

.......?
I must be the butt of it...
Old 06-21-2011, 06:38 AM
Elder

ChubbyAiel is just really niceChubbyAiel is just really niceChubbyAiel is just really niceChubbyAiel is just really niceChubbyAiel is just really niceChubbyAiel is just really nice

It's not an entire character that I find really annoying, but Rand's obsession about not harming women, even the really dangerous ones. I like Rand as a character as a whole, but I found the way he couldn't deal with Lanfear despite the danger she posed to Moiraine, Egwene and Aviendha a) sort of stupid and b) sort of misogynistic: I mean, are women not responsible for their actions in the same way that men are? I'm not advocating hitting women, but if one is bearing down on your friends and loved ones with murderous intent...

I'm sure that topic has been done to death but I still find it intensely irritating.

And I'm a fan of Egwene.
Old 06-21-2011, 06:41 AM
Elder

Bryne is a cesspit of vices, and if you think not wanting to hit women regardless of circumstances is one...well I'm sure he has it.
Old 06-21-2011, 06:52 AM
Elder

Zombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Zombie Sammael

He's not as bad as Valan Luca. As much as Felix loves Luca, I hate him.
Old 06-21-2011, 06:58 AM
Elder

But luca is what he seems- a greedy liar. Bryne pretends to be a dutiful guy but is three times as bad. I think it boils down to show, not tell. We were shown with luca, we were just told with Bryne.
Old 06-21-2011, 07:10 AM
Hero of the Horn

Jokeslayer has a reputation beyond reputeJokeslayer has a reputation beyond reputeJokeslayer has a reputation beyond reputeJokeslayer has a reputation beyond reputeJokeslayer has a reputation beyond reputeJokeslayer has a reputation beyond reputeJokeslayer has a reputation beyond reputeJokeslayer has a reputation beyond reputeJokeslayer has a reputation beyond reputeJokeslayer has a reputation beyond reputeJokeslayer has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Jokeslayer

Quote:
Surely this is a joke, except I do not get it.
I must be the but of it lol

I thought he was a douchebag, speaking with such authority but just spewing common sense.

.......?
I must be the butt of it...
The joke was that everyone else hates Gawyn. Your reaction to Gareth is what people would expect the reaction to Gawyn to be, so gonzo pretended to misunderstand.
Old 06-21-2011, 07:36 AM
Elder

Zombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Zombie Sammael

Any minute now Terez will come along and merge this into the Egwene-bashing thread. Not because she has no sense of humour, but because that is her sense of humour.
Old 06-21-2011, 07:39 AM
Elder

Daekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jokeslayer View Post
The joke was that everyone else hates Gawyn. Your reaction to Gareth is what people would expect the reaction to Gawyn to be, so gonzo pretended to misunderstand.
You see children, THAT is how to live up to your username.

I salute you jokeslayer And also rep you!

He just got carried away a bit this time, probably as a result of his marriage-gonzothegreat

Son of Nazbaque, Lord of Fire
Old 06-21-2011, 07:53 AM
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Sammael View Post
Any minute now Terez will come along and merge this into the Egwene-bashing thread. Not because she has no sense of humour, but because that is her sense of humour.
That wouldn't be very f**king funny. Egwene bashing is amusing when the offense takes it seriously, hilarious when the defense does. but it is simple entertainment. this is therapy

Are you British? (unrelated, I know)

Last edited by The Unreasoner; 06-21-2011 at 08:08 AM.
Old 06-21-2011, 08:48 AM
Elder

ChubbyAiel is just really niceChubbyAiel is just really niceChubbyAiel is just really niceChubbyAiel is just really niceChubbyAiel is just really niceChubbyAiel is just really nice

Quote:
... if you think not wanting to hit women regardless of circumstances is [a vice]...
Just to clarify, it would have to be in extreme circumstances, but that was exactly what Rand found himself in and he let those closest to him down in favour of a pyschopath. So while "vice" is not really the word, I would say he definitely did the wrong thing. I know at the time it was an on-the-spot decision, but even later he thinks to himself how he couldn't do things differently, and I think quite a lot was written about it from his POV. Idiot.
Old 06-21-2011, 08:56 AM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Most good advice is just common sense from a respected figure.

As to the rest...um, okay.

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Theoryland: Just Some Crazy In A Pot
Old 06-21-2011, 09:32 AM
Elder

Something interesting...
Not a single Bryne fan among the posters. Surely failure to inspire respect and elicit liking from a single fan is all the condemnation we need.

Tags
bryne, egwene, gareth, hate, lame