art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7611

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > Forum Archives > Archived - WoT Discussion Boards > Archived: General Wheel of Time Discussion - 05/2008 - 03/2012
User Name
Password

View Poll Results: What do you think about Egwene?
I love Egwene! 26 24.53%
She's alright. 26 24.53%
Meh. 22 20.75%
Egwene sucks. 15 14.15%
Egwene should die in a fire. 17 16.04%
Voters: 106. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-21-2011, 07:15 AM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Terez
Default Egwene thread (and poll)

Old thread is here. Had to close it because it was too huge. Any debates on Egwene's character will be merged here.
Old 06-21-2011, 07:29 AM
Elder

The Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond repute

I think the haters will be far fewer and just more vocal. of course haters may be more compelled to vote, though the reverse is possible too. In the last thread, I was surprised there were as many Egwene haters as there were. I thought they were just a very vocal minority
I am fascinated so many are strongly in favor of her character, I thought surely she inspired indifference in the majority. I would love to hear their arguments (legitimate points).
Maybe multiple "axes" were necessary. Like intentions/hypocrite/competence/personality/ overall
For me... Good/yes/yes/negative/negative Actually a great score for a villain. If she were a bad guy the last would be positive. The forsaken have sh*t in the competence field. And I wouldn't care that her competence wasn't very believable if she rolled for the dark.
To give credit where credit is due... The cuendillar chain plan really was brilliant. And no chance her little general came up with it.
Seems a lot of the earlier posts show-
One can think she is a hypocrite with good intentions.
The emotion level is set by the defense.
Hate is a strong word, and few feel it here.
Liking the character and thinking she is a good person are two different things.
Many who like Egwene dislike nynaeve, and vice versa. A psychological indicator of something, perhaps?

Last edited by The Unreasoner; 06-21-2011 at 08:19 AM.
Old 06-21-2011, 07:47 AM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
To give credit where credit is due... The cuendillar chain plan really was brilliant.
Quite brilliant...right up to the point where she got herself captured and gave her enemy a huge hostage. And she was such a moron on actually executing the plan that she didnt even think to hide her weaves through inversion. I mean, how stupid is that?

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Theoryland: Just Some Crazy In A Pot
Old 06-21-2011, 07:49 AM
Hero of the Horn

yks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Unreasoner View Post
Many who like Egwene dislike nynaeve, and vice versa. A psychological indicator of something, perhaps?
in my experience, it's more: everybody who's in love with Mat, hates Egwene. The stronger the love of Mat, the stronger the hate of Egwene. This might be because in a lot of ways Mat and Egwene are polar opposties. Where Egwene is responsible and conscientious, Mat is irresponsible and juvenile. Where Egwene plans and tries to solve (political) problems with diplomacy, Mat barges in and rolls the dice, consequences be damned. Where Egwene leaves her friends to fend for themselves (my way of interpreting this is that she trusts people to take care of themselves), Mat has this obsessive need to "rescue the maiden in distress". Where Egwene deliberately seeks out (emotional, educational, political and yes, even action-based) confrontation, Mat runs from it as much as possible. Where everything Egwene has had to learn the hard way, piece by painstaking piece, Mat got his information all in one go and where Egwene cherishes every bit of knowledge she's gained, Mat refuses to embrace his gift. There are, of course similarities also: they both can be hypocritical and judgmental, they're both curious and brave. The difference is that where Mat is funny, Egwene tends to be serious, and that's possibly what puts people off most.

I get this impression that every time that [teh awsumz] Mat interacts or thinks about Egwene, he does so in a negative or disparaging way. And vice versa. So, if one is a Mat-fan, they're likely to have the similar perception of Egwene as Mat does.

For me, Egwene is hands down my favourite character, followed by Min, then Perrin, then Moiraine, then Rand. however, I have a strong (and admittedly somewhat irrational) dislike of Mat.

Bonded to JWB

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
-- Winston Churchill

Last edited by yks 6nnetu hing; 06-21-2011 at 07:59 AM.
Old 06-21-2011, 07:55 AM
Elder

jana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by yks 6nnetu hing View Post
in my experience, it's more: everybody who's in love with Mat
You're both full of it :P

I love Mat, Nynaeve, and Egwene and I think they should have a threesome.
Old 06-21-2011, 07:58 AM
Elder

The Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond repute

I'm much more interested in how you regard nynaeve than mat. I like mat, but not very much.

And yeah, implementation sucked. But no one accused her of being the brains of the supergirls, a job better suited to nynaeve. And like I said, credit where credit is due. The bashing will have its chance.
Old 06-21-2011, 07:58 AM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jana View Post
You're both full of it :P

I love Mat, Nynaeve, and Egwene and I think they should have a threesome.
While Egwene the girl is in favor of a threesome, Egwene the Amyrlin is eternal and no mere girl interested in such silly things, blah blah blah...

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Old 06-21-2011, 08:02 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
I'm much more interested in how you regard nynaeve than mat. I like mat, but not very much.

And yeah, implementation sucked. But no one accused her of being the brains of the supergirls, a job better suited to nynaeve. And like I said, credit where credit is due. The bashing will have its chance.
The chain idea is a microcosm of everything that is wrong with Egwene as a person. She, in theory, comes up with a great idea to turn the chain into Cuendillar (nevermind that she physically tortured someone to learn how to make cuendillar and then passed it off as her own invention...that's another side point of her hypocrisy)...but she refuses all advice on implementation and then goes off on her own to do it instead of actually trusting anyone else to do it. At least Mat is smart enough to know not to lead from the front (as he's actually read Sun Tzu) but Egwene just has to be the big hero and do it all herself. Even Leane had the common sense to invert her weaves and was only caught due to betrayal. Egwene might as well have sailed into the Harbor with a giant bonfire going in the boat for all the precautions she took.

Zero execution ability on her part based on her complete lack of common sense, experience or any willingness to actually take advice. For all rights, she should have been executed on the spot but luckily for her, Elaida decided to play super-villain and put her enemy in an easily escapable situation instead of immediately killing her.

Old 06-21-2011, 08:06 AM
Hero of the Horn

yks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I have a neutral feeling for Nynaeve, more positive than negative though. I never really understood all the huffing that a lot of readers do about her tugging her braid and suchlike but I was also never that elated with her Big Feats (Bowl of Winds and breaking her block). Sure, they're awesome scenes but I just don't see them as so climatic as a lot of people seem to. The one that I did find awesome though, was her Healing Logain... but for the rest: meh.

Bonded to JWB

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
-- Winston Churchill
Old 06-21-2011, 08:11 AM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I thought the haters were far fewer and just more vocal.
Do you really think the old poll is invalidated by a couple of hours of voting in the new one? Really?
Old 06-21-2011, 08:16 AM
Elder

Yeah, I'm a moron. Or I took a little of the last three posts I made, bits still relevant, bits still fresh, and reported them in a single post. It's easily fixed-I will do it now. Or, of course you could edit it to whatever.
Old 06-21-2011, 08:17 AM
Elder

sleepinghour has a reputation beyond reputesleepinghour has a reputation beyond reputesleepinghour has a reputation beyond reputesleepinghour has a reputation beyond reputesleepinghour has a reputation beyond reputesleepinghour has a reputation beyond reputesleepinghour has a reputation beyond reputesleepinghour has a reputation beyond reputesleepinghour has a reputation beyond reputesleepinghour has a reputation beyond reputesleepinghour has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I thought the haters were far fewer and just more vocal. of course haters may be more compelled to vote, though the reverse is possible too.
It depends on where you go—the impression I get is that Dragonmount and RAFO have more Egwene haters, while Theoryland and Tor's discussion threads (the Leigh Butler reread) have more Egwene fans.

But it's hard to say when most people are lurkers and many are reluctant to post an opposing view if they think they are in minority. Which can be said of pretty much all opinions, not just Egwene hate/love.

Quote:
I think one reason many Nynaeve fans dislike Egwene is because of how she treats Nynaeve (the T'A'R episode in FoH, the testing in FoM). And some people resent that Egwene is getting a ridiculous amount of praise in the books while Nynaeve's still treated like a red-headed stepchild by the Aes Sedai. Some Egwene fans also seem to resent Nynaeve for getting so much love from fans over at Dragonmount while Egwene gets so much hate.
Old 06-21-2011, 08:25 AM
Elder

Ha. I'm a nynaeve fan. And Egwene's treatment of nynaeve was a major pulling point for me.

Of course there could be some kind of bizarre older/younger sister thing motivating some one way or the other.
Old 06-21-2011, 10:31 AM
Elder

Zombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Zombie Sammael

Not contributing in any way to the discussion, but I really think this ought to be pinned. There is every chance that in a week or two we will all get bored of talking about Egwene and the thread will drift away like the last one did for a bit. All it then takes is one noob to start a new "I don't like Egwene" thread and we're back in the mess we were before. The thread title is neutral enough that we won't appear to be backing up either the pro- or anti-Egwene camps.
Old 06-21-2011, 10:35 AM
Hero of the Horn

This thread tasks me...it tasks me and I shall have it!!!

Old 06-21-2011, 01:00 PM
Hero of the Horn

Crispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond repute

I don't really care one way or the other for her. She annoys me about as much as Mat annoys me.

That said, if she hadn't let herself get captured at the Chaining, things might have gone rather differently. She was able (and confident in her ability) to turn the Tower from the inside, which was probably far more effective than sending a bunch of traitorous negotiators.

But I'm sure she didn't think that far ahead. She can't be that smart, right?
Old 06-21-2011, 01:27 PM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Sammael View Post
Not contributing in any way to the discussion, but I really think this ought to be pinned. There is every chance that in a week or two we will all get bored of talking about Egwene and the thread will drift away like the last one did for a bit. All it then takes is one noob to start a new "I don't like Egwene" thread and we're back in the mess we were before. The thread title is neutral enough that we won't appear to be backing up either the pro- or anti-Egwene camps.
I will try to take care of them quickly so that there is little confusion. This thread is definitely not getting pinned. The rules are pinned; the thread is linked therein.
Old 06-21-2011, 01:46 PM
Elder

jana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond repute

RAFO doesn't have more Egwene haters, it just has the most insane ones.
Old 06-21-2011, 02:00 PM
Elder

Well, we all know insane men are hard to count, I tried with Felix and got at least two every time, and once got up to 300000000, but he was doing his Hindu incarnations trick. And I would be very sad if this thread gets stuckied. Questions for threadmasters, questions for team Jordan, and the rule thread for pranks.
Old 06-21-2011, 02:50 PM
Youngling

frenchie has much to be proud offrenchie has much to be proud offrenchie has much to be proud offrenchie has much to be proud offrenchie has much to be proud offrenchie has much to be proud offrenchie has much to be proud offrenchie has much to be proud offrenchie has much to be proud offrenchie has much to be proud offrenchie has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by jana View Post
RAFO doesn't have more Egwene haters, it just has the most insane ones.
Now now, leave Cannoli and Lilitempest out of this.