art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7611

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > WHEEL OF TIME FORUMS > General Wheel of Time Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 06-24-2011, 09:09 PM
Hero of the Horn

Ishara has disabled reputation
Send a message via MSN to Ishara
Default Character of the Week - Main Thread

Okay new kids: here’s the name of the Game. We’re resurrecting an old idea for new discussion and thoughts. Every week we’ll have a "Character of the Week" and discuss the merits, foibles, and plot devices that this particular character serves. We’ll be avoiding the “Mains” for several reasons: First, too easy; Second, too much information; Third, well, they’re my discussions and I say no Mains.

Are there characters that just confuse you? Make you rethink your opinion of them every time you re-read? Ones you feel are only there to serve a purpose and not as a true character of the cast with real thoughts and rationale behind their actions?

I’d like to link back to any existing theories, threads and ideas, but let’s try and integrate them into new theories, thoughts and ideas okay? This is less to do with whether we “like” characters – we are Theorylanders, and we are not vapid. If you want to be a Theorylander, practice thinking critically and objectively. Don’t worry, we’ll help!

Here’s the list for the next five weeks – suggestions welcome! PM me and/ or post here and we’ll consider it for sure! This thread will be used to keep track of our Characters of the Week – not for discussion of said Characters. Got it? Good!

Week One: June 24, 2011 – Tigraine Mantear Damodred

Week Two: July 1, 2011 – Tam al’Thor

Week Three: July 8, 2011 – Elmindreda Farshaw

Week Four: July 15, 2011 – Shaidar Haran

Week Five: July 22, 2011 – Moiraine Damodred

Week Six: July 29, 2011 – Fortuona Athaem Kore Paendrag

Week Seven: August 5, 2011 - Lord Dobraine, High Seat of House Taborwin

Week Eight: August 12, 2011 - Moghedien

Week Nine: August 19, 2011 - Berelain Sur Paendrag

Week Ten: August 26, 2011 - Graendal

Week Eleven: September 2, 2011 - Mazrim Taim

Week Twelve: September 9, 2011 - Alanna Mosvani

Week Thirteen: September 16, 2011 - Alviarin Friedhen

Week Fourteen: September 23, 2011 - al'Lan Mandragoran

Week Fifteen: September 30, 2011 - Aviendha

Week Sixteen: October 7, 2011 - Thom Merrilin

Week Seventeen: October 14, 2011 - Padan Fain

Week Eighteen: October 21, 2011 - Cadsuane Melaidhrin

Week Nineteen: October 28, 2011 - Olver

Week Twenty: November 4, 2011 - Leilwin Shipless

Week Twenty-One: November 11, 2011 - Valan Luca

Week Twenty-Two: November 18, 2011 - Logain Ablar
So: go start discussing!

Rand: You are an insensitive bastard!!!
Mat: And you ruined another hat!

It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by lightening. -- Calvin

"Gee, I wish I could do magic! Maybe I'll try!" --SDog

Official Vixen of Theoryland and Theoryland Siren

Grain Goddess, the Rood Inverse, the Mad Glomper

Last edited by WinespringBrother; 11-19-2011 at 06:46 PM.
Old 06-24-2011, 10:20 PM
Hero of the Horn

Frenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Frenzy Send a message via Yahoo to Frenzy

Woo-hoo! I remember those Great Debate threads. i Maybe i should go hunt them down & link them here...

"How the hell do you Godwin a thread with CUCUMBERS!!?" -- Tru

"I love cucumber prawn... " -- Ivhon

"Have to catch me first. Scared shitless always outruns mad as hell." -- Sinistrum

"Some days I'm happy Frenzy doesn't live next door." -- Tamyrlin

"So Frenzy is a scientist then?" -- Davian
"Well duh. An Evil scientist. " -- Khoram
Old 06-24-2011, 10:25 PM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Terez

I think they are on the KOD board at Yuku. They were around that time anyway.
Old 06-24-2011, 10:31 PM
Elder

The Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond repute

Love the idea, especially the bit about no mains.
Great choices too.
Although if I could request some to add to the queue...
Idrien (the headmistress)
Dain bornhald
Bethamin

And while I see him as a main, he's about on the level of Tuon, one of my personal favorites-dobraine.

Last edited by The Unreasoner; 06-24-2011 at 10:37 PM.
Old 06-25-2011, 04:44 AM
Elder

Rand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of light

How about that, we do Min's discussion on my birthday.
Old 06-27-2011, 04:34 AM
Elder

looqas is just really nicelooqas is just really nicelooqas is just really nicelooqas is just really nicelooqas is just really nice

I feel week is too little time to discuss. Why not make it 2 weeks or as long as the discussion is still fruitful and interesting?
Old 06-27-2011, 04:40 AM
Elder

The Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond repute

There needs to be some turnover, and if the conversation is interesting, we can post in the older ones. It's not like the threads will get closed after a week.

Of course, I could be biased, as i want Dobraine and idrien added to the queue.
Old 06-27-2011, 10:37 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by looqas View Post
I feel week is too little time to discuss. Why not make it 2 weeks or as long as the discussion is still fruitful and interesting?
Not a bad point, but we can continue to post in threads after the week. The idea is to get some discussion going, so we're cross-posting all the better!

It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by lightening. -- Calvin

Old 07-04-2011, 09:59 AM
Hero of the Horn

yks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond repute

I might have been awol the first time these were around. Are we avoiding the ones already done? is Moghedien already done? how about Berelain? I'd like a discussion on those 2 if possible... even though I know how you feel about Berelain, Ish!

Bonded to JWB

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
-- Winston Churchill
Old 07-04-2011, 12:45 PM
Hero of the Horn

LOL - nope, I checked and these were all we did, so let's add Berelain and Moghedien to the list. I'd also like to discuss Graendal and all her juxtspositional glory.

Old 07-04-2011, 08:28 PM
Elder

No Bethamin or Dobraine?
Old 07-05-2011, 07:10 AM
Hero of the Horn

Bethamin and Dobraine are 4th and 3rd league-type characters respectively. Not enough to create a solid foundation for reasonable speculation, and in Bethamin's case, not really that interesting beyond her plot-forwarding actions. I feel that bethamin falls under the "Ones you feel are only there to serve a purpose and not as a true character of the cast with real thoughts and rationale behind their actions?" category.

Generally speaking, we're looking for characters with more than one-liners and less than the Big Three (although, we could spread out Mains to more thanjust the Boys, I suppose).

But if you'd like to start a seperate thread to discuss them both, by all means, go ahead!

Old 07-06-2011, 01:09 PM
Youngling

the_collective has much to be proud ofthe_collective has much to be proud ofthe_collective has much to be proud ofthe_collective has much to be proud ofthe_collective has much to be proud ofthe_collective has much to be proud ofthe_collective has much to be proud ofthe_collective has much to be proud ofthe_collective has much to be proud ofthe_collective has much to be proud ofthe_collective has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishara View Post
"Not enough to create a solid foundation for reasonable speculation"

"Generally speaking, we're looking for characters with more than one-liners and less than the Big Three (although, we could spread out Mains to more thanjust the Boys, I suppose)."
I assume this would also apply to the person I was going to suggest: Nicola...
Old 07-06-2011, 03:10 PM
Hero of the Horn

Maybe. Prove it.

Old 07-06-2011, 03:59 PM
Elder

Zombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Zombie Sammael

I think Mazrim Taim would be a good choice, but he does get discussed a lot anyway.

Master of the lightnings, rider on the storm,
wearer of a crown of swords, spinner out of fate.
Who thinks he turns the Wheel of Time,
may learn the truth too late.

Light is held before the maw of the infinite void, and all that he is can be seized.

The one who Death has known
Old 07-06-2011, 05:52 PM
Elder

David Selig is a glorious beacon of lightDavid Selig is a glorious beacon of lightDavid Selig is a glorious beacon of lightDavid Selig is a glorious beacon of lightDavid Selig is a glorious beacon of lightDavid Selig is a glorious beacon of lightDavid Selig is a glorious beacon of light

Why not Faile? Too big of a possibility to turn into a bashing thread?
Old 07-06-2011, 08:35 PM
Hero of the Horn

Maybe - but also, she's transparent and honest, in both her conduct and her POVs. There isn't a whole lot of intrigue there - subtlety yes, intrigue no.

Old 07-06-2011, 08:48 PM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishara View Post
Maybe - but also, she's transparent and honest, in both her conduct and her POVs. There isn't a whole lot of intrigue there - subtlety yes, intrigue no.
I've never understood any of the Faile hate. Once you realize that Faile is simply a somewhat insecure 16-17 year old teenage girl, every single one of her actions makes sense. Overall, she's a very strong and smart young woman who learns from her mistakes. Of course Perrin doesn't make sense to her, she was raised in a completely different world. She even realizes this eventually. Even her game with Berelain makes sense when you realize 99% of it stems from pure insecurity over her own self-image when compared to a rich powerful "queen" who is considered one of the great beauties of Randland.

Yes, I'm a Faile Booster...I love Berelain too FWIW.

Haters gotta hate though.

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Theoryland: Just Some Crazy In A Pot
Old 07-07-2011, 02:27 AM
Hero of the Horn

yks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davian93 View Post
I've never understood any of the Faile hate. Once you realize that Faile is simply a somewhat insecure 16-17 year old teenage girl, every single one of her actions makes sense. Overall, she's a very strong and smart young woman who learns from her mistakes. Of course Perrin doesn't make sense to her, she was raised in a completely different world. She even realizes this eventually. Even her game with Berelain makes sense when you realize 99% of it stems from pure insecurity over her own self-image when compared to a rich powerful "queen" who is considered one of the great beauties of Randland.

Yes, I'm a Faile Booster...I love Berelain too FWIW.

Haters gotta hate though.
On all of that, we agree.

Bonded to JWB

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
-- Winston Churchill
Old 07-07-2011, 09:32 AM
Hero of the Horn

I like this new "homie" version of Dav. It's cool. LOL

Tags
character of the week