art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7611

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > Forum Archives > Archived - WoT Discussion Boards > Archived: General Wheel of Time Discussion - 05/2008 - 03/2012
User Name
Password

Old 07-07-2011, 06:24 AM
Elder

The Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond repute
Angry You know what will really piss me off...

neurotopia's prologue thread got me thinking:
What would really piss you off in A Memory of Light? a certain character not being acknowledged, a character having a certain storyline, one person dying, another living?

I will be seriously ticked if Logain doesn't get a pov, if Tuon conquers the whole world, if the sea folk play no larger role.

I am reminded of a post i saw back in my lurker days...
To paraphrase, "If it turns out Rand has been spending the whole month working through the kama sutra with min I'm going to be somewhere north of pissed"
Old 07-07-2011, 06:32 AM
Hero of the Horn

yks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond repute

the only thing that I can think of would be if the book wouldn't be published at all. The rest are just little annoyances.

Bonded to JWB

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
-- Winston Churchill
Old 07-07-2011, 07:08 AM
Elder

Rand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of light

1. ANY of the main characters dying (this includes Faile (suck it haters) and, surprise surprise, Eggy).
2. The Seanchan still having slavery.
3. The whole "I win again Lews Therin" BS.
4. All the other characters are dumbed down just so Eggy can be a "shining star."
5. No epilogue.
6. Rand and Galad NOT meeting again (the whole brothers thing).
7. Eggy NOT getting told off by an old friend/acquaintance.
8. No Logain POV.
9. Running out of ideas for this thread.
10. Finding out what happens with Rands kids in the future.
Old 07-07-2011, 07:12 AM
Elder

David Selig is a glorious beacon of lightDavid Selig is a glorious beacon of lightDavid Selig is a glorious beacon of lightDavid Selig is a glorious beacon of lightDavid Selig is a glorious beacon of lightDavid Selig is a glorious beacon of lightDavid Selig is a glorious beacon of light

If we see yet another "a woman gets captured and needs saving" plotline I'd be pissed off. It would be what, the 20th time or so in the series? Jordan really abused this plot device.
Old 07-07-2011, 08:18 AM
Elder

Lupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud of
Default I like adding titles too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Selig View Post
If we see yet another "a woman gets captured and needs saving" plotline I'd be pissed off. It would be what, the 20th time or so in the series? Jordan really abused this plot device.
-claps-

Not seeing an argument between Sori and Caddy.
Hanlon not being killed.
No Fain scenes (I think I am safe on this one!)
The Amyrlin's Palace Elaida was building not being put to good use. We haven't heard about it for so long!

I'd be minorly pissed if we didn't see a "turning" ceremony.
Old 07-07-2011, 08:24 AM
Elder

jana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond repute

Tuon continuing to be Suroth
Old 07-07-2011, 08:24 AM
Elder

Zombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Zombie Sammael

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupusdeusest View Post
The Amyrlin's Palace Elaida was building not being put to good use. We haven't heard about it for so long!
I thought Egwene had it torn down or turned into a hospital or something?

Master of the lightnings, rider on the storm,
wearer of a crown of swords, spinner out of fate.
Who thinks he turns the Wheel of Time,
may learn the truth too late.

Light is held before the maw of the infinite void, and all that he is can be seized.

The one who Death has known
Old 07-07-2011, 08:32 AM
Elder

Lupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Sammael View Post
I thought Egwene had it torn down or turned into a hospital or something?
Daaww mann! I missed that. It would have made an excellent Black Tower. If that makes sense.
(Makes me fear for the future of the white Tower building now!)
Old 07-07-2011, 08:48 AM
Elder

Zombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupusdeusest View Post
Daaww mann! I missed that. It would have made an excellent Black Tower. If that makes sense.
(Makes me fear for the future of the white Tower building now!)
I could be wrong, as I keep saying it's been a while, I may be misremembering, but I'm sure Egwene did something with it once she assumed the throne.

Light is held before the maw of the infinite void, and all that he is can be seized.

Old 07-07-2011, 09:14 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I could be wrong, as I keep saying it's been a while, I may be misremembering, but I'm sure Egwene did something with it once she assumed the throne.
I think that she contemplated what she was to do with it. I don't think she has gotten around to doing more with it, yet.
Old 07-07-2011, 09:41 AM
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonzoTheGreat View Post
I think that she contemplated what she was to do with it. I don't think she has gotten around to doing more with it, yet.
Ah, okay. Maybe that's right. I know she had at least thought about it. This re-read is going so painfully slowly, AMOL will be out by the time I'm done.

Maybe Elaida's palace is actually in some non-specified manner key to the whole "defeat the Dark One" project?

Old 07-07-2011, 01:06 PM
Youngling

Heinz will become famous soon enoughHeinz will become famous soon enough

Of course! The palace will turn into a physical location for the prison (stable) which will house the Dark One (Bela). What better place, than next to the White Tower?
Old 07-07-2011, 01:10 PM
Elder

Joking aside, you know what would be a good use for it? One of Rand's schools. The White Tower in the fourth age should be a worldwide centre of knowledge, power, and excellence. What better usage for a folly that nearly destroyed the Tower than as something which will only increase the awe and wonder of the Aes Sedai? The Aes Sedai must learn once more to live as part of the world, not apart from it, and having knowledge and discoveries not made by the Aes Sedai on their doorstep will be a constant reminder of this. And of course, the AS would have first refusal on many of these wonderful discoveries - the collaboration between students of the Power and students of the school could produce even greater wonders than both alone could.

Old 07-07-2011, 01:22 PM
Youngling

Heinz will become famous soon enoughHeinz will become famous soon enough

The future fate/fortune of the schools and their impact is actually one of the small details I will regret not seeing, without any kind of outrigger novels.

But I agree. Adding another school in the White Tower, and having it begin co-operation of the Aes Sedai with the world around them in the form of teaching and/or research with non-channelers would be an interesting use of the construction.
Old 07-07-2011, 06:11 PM
Youngling

the_collective has much to be proud ofthe_collective has much to be proud ofthe_collective has much to be proud ofthe_collective has much to be proud ofthe_collective has much to be proud ofthe_collective has much to be proud ofthe_collective has much to be proud ofthe_collective has much to be proud ofthe_collective has much to be proud ofthe_collective has much to be proud ofthe_collective has much to be proud of

Quote:
This re-read is going so painfully slowly, AMOL will be out by the time I'm done.
Same here on the reread. I am getting so much more out of it this time. It's been many years since I've reread the whole thing back-to-back, and it's a much more satisfying read this time around. Hopefully the same is true for you (and anyone else doing a reread).

Quote:
Maybe Elaida's palace is actually in some non-specified manner key to the whole "defeat the Dark One" project?
Given how much RJ seemed to like irony (it's bloody everywhere in this series), this would not at all be outside the realm of possibility. That is, since Elaida has done so much to aid the Shadow (however unwittingly) that it would be ironic for her self-appointed palace to be used in some way to take the Shadow down a few notches. Of course, alternatively, the whole place could still be used by the Shadow much in the same way that Elaida herself was.

For that matter, maybe the Seanchan will capture it and make it into the Palace of the Empress (may she live forever!), keeping the White Tower as a house for marath'damane or maybe a substitute Tower of Ravens for the Bad Blood...
Old 07-08-2011, 12:19 AM
Elder

sandoz12 is a jewel in the roughsandoz12 is a jewel in the roughsandoz12 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rand al'Fain View Post
1. ANY of the main characters dying (this includes Faile (suck it haters) and, surprise surprise, Eggy).
I will be pissed of if none of the major characters die.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rand al'Fain View Post
3. The whole "I win again Lews Therin" BS.
That is my dream ending - would just love it.

Things that would piss me off would be no satisfactory Black Tower conclusion or that the Black Tower conclusion is really rushed.

Linked to that I will be pissed off if there are too many loose ends at the end that haven't been tied up. Or if in tying up all these loose ends the final books feels rushed.
Old 07-08-2011, 12:49 AM
Elder

greatwolf will become famous soon enoughgreatwolf will become famous soon enough

1. Forsaken vs Forsaken match up and yes, a credible outing by one of the forsaken for once. Egwene vs Mesaana failed to satisfy.

2. No aiel ashaman.

3. I think I will be disappointed by Taim no matter how it plays out.

4. The DO is locked away, but chaos continues.

5. If Logain doesn't live up to the hype.

6. Farstrider - what a waste of time.

7. Grady dies and poor Sora marries bela!

8. Cadsuane dies without redeeming the image of AS as a bunch of incompetents.

9. Too much 3rd ager language from 4th agers like "doing the math"

10. That's enough!
Old 07-08-2011, 03:29 AM
Elder

FelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant future
Default AMoL book: I hope for accurate character psychology & emotions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yks 6nnetu hing View Post
the only thing that I can think of would be if the book wouldn't be published at all. The rest are just little annoyances.
Good point.

I just hope Brandon can expresses changes in characters personalities, as they should be. Take Nynaeve's character for example, if she off in even the slightest way, it's going to diminish the whole series. Her memory is a key to the whole story.

Elayne's character was off in ToM book, so much that it read awkwardly and didn't fit emotionally. Brandon really does need to re-read Elayne's scenes in particular to get a better sense of who she is.

It's a series of and about change and changes; the major focus of attention is psychological not spatial in origin.

Screw-up who characters are emotionally, and that creates a cascading series of errors. Perhaps call Brandon's interpretation, a work of 'Fan Fiction' at worst?

Overall, I think do believe there is a tension between RJ's end-point goals and who Brandon Sanderson is as a writer. The two are akin to water & oil, they do not mixed easily.
Old 07-08-2011, 03:06 PM
Youngling

missbee is an unknown quantity at this point

1. If Lan dies, he's been set up for it far too much
2. If any whole nation/tribe/clan/large group of people turn to the Way of the Leaf
3. If we don't get a full explanation of at least a couple of Verin's schemes
4. If Tenobia doesn't die whilst killing Bashere
5. If Cadsuanne doesn't learn to be civil, or dies, don't mind which
Old 07-08-2011, 03:33 PM
Elder

ChubbyAiel is just really niceChubbyAiel is just really niceChubbyAiel is just really niceChubbyAiel is just really niceChubbyAiel is just really niceChubbyAiel is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by missbee View Post
1. If Lan dies, he's been set up for it far too much
2. If any whole nation/tribe/clan/large group of people turn to the Way of the Leaf
3. If we don't get a full explanation of at least a couple of Verin's schemes
4. If Tenobia doesn't die whilst killing Bashere
5. If Cadsuanne doesn't learn to be civil, or dies, don't mind which
1. Very unlikely, I'd say.
2. Very likely, I'd say. We all hate pacifism on these boards because we like stories of men killing each other with swords and spears, but pacifism has its place in society and I reckon someone who saw some bad shit in Vietnam would respect that.
3. Meh. I hope some things aren't explained, provided there are clues enough, so in a year or so we'll still have something to talk about on these boards.
4. ?? Have to say I was annoyed about Perrin agreeing to this "stewardship of the Two Rivers" nonsense. What if Rand's children claim their right to their land and they turn out to be complete dicks? Then Perrin will have wished he'd done his best for his people, so far as feudalism would allow, i.e. by stopping his whingeing and asking Elayne exactly what she's have done if he's told her to piss off.
5. She already is learning. Is the newly-"fused" Rand/LTT-personality, i.e. Rand with his memories, not already causing her to see she should be more civil, by inspiring respect? And let's not forget that her lack of civility has basically saved the world (unless I'm remembering events wrong).

Tags
amol, dragon, jordan, rafo, sanderson