art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7611

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > Bug Reports
User Name
Password

Old 07-31-2008, 06:07 PM
Hero of the Horn

4Alethinos will become famous soon enough4Alethinos will become famous soon enough
Default Time Outs

I am very annoyed by having to login again after making a long post. The bulletin board does not pick up on keystrokes, evidently, and requires some small interval of time between mouse movements or clicks.

Sorry, but that sucks. At least make the timeout somewhat longer if youi cannot pickup the use of the keyboard.
Old 07-31-2008, 06:12 PM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Terez

I don't think Tam can do anything about that - it's just a lovely feature of vBulletin.
Old 08-01-2008, 01:12 PM
Hero of the Horn

Brita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond repute

LOL- I have never had this problem- apparently I am not contributing long enough posts.

I don't have to agree with you to like you or respect you. ― Anthony Bourdain
Old 08-01-2008, 08:32 PM
Hero of the Horn

Weird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Alethinos
I am very annoyed by having to login again after making a long post. The bulletin board does not pick up on keystrokes, evidently, and requires some small interval of time between mouse movements or clicks.
The only thing the vBulletin software can detect is a request for a page or the submission of a post. Everything you do between those two detectable events is done locally on your computer -- and can even be done offline.

Automatic logout is a feature that protects your username from someone accessing your computer whenyou forgot to logout.

There is a very simple solution: vBulletin has Auto-log IN as well as Auto LogOUT; just check Remember Me when you log in from the main index page and you will not have to login again until after you explicitly log out. It won't maintian you last visit time so your last read indications won't work "right" but you won't be annoyed by constantly being asked for your password.

Of course if you're on a shared computer where somone else might be automatically logged in as you, "Remember Me" isn't a function you want to use.

(Now if I could just figure out which questions they go to. )

I met you in a past life. You were wrong then, too.
Old 08-01-2008, 10:04 PM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute

It will still mark your forums read when you're making a long post, though. My habit on vBulletin is to do the longpost stuff last for that reason, but I'll often still miss stuff that's posted while I'm working on the post.
Old 08-08-2008, 10:40 PM
Hero of the Horn

4Alethinos will become famous soon enough4Alethinos will become famous soon enough
Default timeouts

Do I agree with that one. It is very annoying to have to login again just because I was typing a long post. FIX IT, Please, oh mighty Lord of the Board.
Old 08-08-2008, 10:46 PM
Hero of the Horn

Weird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Alethinos
Do I agree with that one. It is very annoying to have to login again just because I was typing a long post. FIX IT, Please, oh mighty Lord of the Board.
It is NOT somethingTam can "fix" it is the way the vBulletin software works.

It IS however, something that YOU can fix -- I have logged in twice since the board opened iwth vBulletin, on the second time was because I explicitly logged out to help troubleshoot a login problem.

Just check the "Remember Me" box and you should never have to log in again unless you explicitly log out.

Old 08-25-2008, 07:10 PM
Elder

Ieyasu is a splendid one to beholdIeyasu is a splendid one to beholdIeyasu is a splendid one to beholdIeyasu is a splendid one to beholdIeyasu is a splendid one to beholdIeyasu is a splendid one to beholdIeyasu is a splendid one to beholdIeyasu is a splendid one to beholdIeyasu is a splendid one to beholdIeyasu is a splendid one to behold

the short time out does suck ass... and yes, the admins can extend it (i have done so on my other vbulletin forums)

please increase the idle time out.

and no, the remember box merely stores your login info, it will not keep you logged in.

its a simple fix in the admin tools, ive done it multiple times on several other vbulletin boards i admin, its a simple matter of extended the timeout time by X amount of seconds.

it might not even require tam specifically to do it, depending on how access is given out for the various ranks.

Last edited by Ieyasu; 08-25-2008 at 07:16 PM.
Old 08-25-2008, 08:14 PM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ieyasu
and no, the remember box merely stores your login info, it will not keep you logged in.
That is strictly speaking true, but as far as user perceptions go, it is effectively the same as staying logged in because it automatically logs you in if you're not logged in or have timed out.

The idle timeout can easily be set to a higher value, but would it serve any real purpose to extend it far enough for the research and typing that goes into composing a long post?

Extending long enough to READ some of the more heated discussions would be a big help, but most people are complaining about losing long posts to timing out and I don't think extending the idle timeout to an hour or more is really useful.

Old 08-25-2008, 09:17 PM
Hero of the Horn

I disagree - what's the point of the "mark forums read" function if it's going to go all screwy on you when you make a long post? More to the point, what's the purpose of having such a short time out?
Old 08-25-2008, 10:06 PM
Elder

Ieyasu is a splendid one to beholdIeyasu is a splendid one to beholdIeyasu is a splendid one to beholdIeyasu is a splendid one to beholdIeyasu is a splendid one to beholdIeyasu is a splendid one to beholdIeyasu is a splendid one to beholdIeyasu is a splendid one to beholdIeyasu is a splendid one to beholdIeyasu is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weird Harold
That is strictly speaking true, but as far as user perceptions go, it is effectively the same as staying logged in because it automatically logs you in if you're not logged in or have timed out.

The idle timeout can easily be set to a higher value, but would it serve any real purpose to extend it far enough for the research and typing that goes into composing a long post?

Extending long enough to READ some of the more heated discussions would be a big help, but most people are complaining about losing long posts to timing out and I don't think extending the idle timeout to an hour or more is really useful.
ive had it happen to me in both ways, both when ive posted, and when ive been reading.. its annoying.. it doesnt hurt anything to extend the idle time out, and i fail to see your logic in keeping it short. it serves the purpose that multiple ppl have complained about it being too short a value... seriously, what do you ahve against extending the idle time out?
Old 08-25-2008, 11:35 PM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ieyasu
ive had it happen to me in both ways, both when ive posted, and when ive been reading.. its annoying.. it doesnt hurt anything to extend the idle time out, and i fail to see your logic in keeping it short. it serves the purpose that multiple ppl have complained about it being too short a value... seriously, what do you ahve against extending the idle time out?
I have nothing against extending it -- it is too short for the kind of traffic this forum handles and causes the "last read"/"new post" accounting to reset even with Auto-login eneabled.

I just don't think extending it is going to stop the complaints unless it is extended to rediculous proportions -- like three hours or so.

I also don't think it will be extended any time soon -- given Tam's record of timeliness in making other changes that should take no longer than the thirty seconds or so required to change the idle timeout setting.

And since it doesn't seem likely to me that it will change any time soon, I'd rather concentrate on explaining how to minimize it's impact -- by using the "Remember Me," Auto login, funtion.

Old 09-14-2009, 02:06 PM
Hero of the Horn

Mort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Mort
Default Related bug.

I was gonna make a new thread for the bug but I found this one and it's related so...

Other times I've gotten logged out while writing a reply, I've logged in again and been thrown to the right thread and toward my new post. Now I noticed that when I had logged in, I instead got thrown to an error page where it says it couldnt access the page correctly (still inside vbullittin, not a 404 error). At first I thought my post was lost too, but when I went to the thread manually, it had been posted fine. No biggie but I'd like to be forwarded to the right thread again

"I discovered at an early age that if I talk long enough, I can make anything right or wrong. So either I am God, or truth is relative." - Jeff Winger, Community
----------

We rode on the winds of the rising storm, we ran to the sounds of thunder.
We danced among the lighting bolts, and tore the world asunder.