art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7653

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > Forum Archives > Archived - WoT Discussion Boards > Archived: General Wheel of Time Discussion - 05/2008 - 03/2012
User Name
Password

Old 08-12-2011, 09:52 PM
Hero of the Horn

Ishara has disabled reputation
Send a message via MSN to Ishara
Default CotW - Moghedien

To recap the concept:

First, pop over here for the main thread, to see our list of upcoming characters.

I’d like discussions to link back to any existing theories, threads and ideas, but let’s try and integrate them into new theories, thoughts and ideas okay? This is less to do with whether we “like” characters – we are Theorylanders, and we are not vapid. If you want to be a Theorylander, practice thinking critically and objectively. Don’t worry, we’ll help!

This week, we're discussing Moghedien also known as Lilen Moiral:

So, here's what we know of Lilen Moiral from before her turning to the Shadow. We know her name (one of the few ugly female names in WoT, in my humble opinion). Note that she never earned a third name, so she wasn't eminent or important or particularly well respected in the AoL. We know that she was a "advisor for investments" who was cautioned several times as well as disciplined for violating the ethics and laws surrounding her profession. Now, while the BWB doesn't define what an advisor for investments is, I feel as if perhaps its not exactly rocket science to deduce the gist of it. And yet, she has long had a reputation for avoiding chance, not gambling or taking risks of any kind, ever. So how do those two concepts mesh? I guess she violated those ethics very carefully...

Her reputation for care and caution earned her the name Moghedien when she turned to the Shadow, named after a tiny, deadly spider in the Age of Legends. I've always believed her to be a coward, but hey, that's me.

We also know that during the War of Power, before she was exposed (killing thousands in her escape), many disasters, betrayals and deaths were attributed to her actions on the "inside." LTT trusted her, at some point. After her exposure, Moghedien plots to take down Lews Therin, but Teadra (Birgitte) foils her plan, and Moghedien basically tells her that she has long memory and won't forget Birgitte's role in her failure.

The last piece of information we have that's solid (apart from reams of evidence that she's a sneaky, conniving piece of work) is that she's not dumb. She researches her options and weighs everything carefully. Except when she's using balefire to erase riverboats.

So...

How could a financial advisor end up in LTT's staff structure? Was she supervising the distribution of grain? Was she a jumped version of Norry?

Her long memory and careful nature can make her a pretty nasty adversary, I guess. Do we think she really hates Moridin and is waiting for him to slip before she strikes? Can she strike when he's still got his mindtrap? What are the implications of the trap? What if he dies before he releases her? Does she die with him?

We also know she hates Cyndane/ Lanfear more than she did before they became trapped together. Is this a case of two cats in a very small box or is it something more?

As much as I have utter disdain for her, she has proved herself dangerous and I don't think we've seen the last of her...

Rand: You are an insensitive bastard!!!
Mat: And you ruined another hat!

It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by lightening. -- Calvin

"Gee, I wish I could do magic! Maybe I'll try!" --SDog

Official Vixen of Theoryland and Theoryland Siren

Grain Goddess, the Rood Inverse, the Mad Glomper
Old 08-12-2011, 10:29 PM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Terez

I think she hates Cyndane more now because, as Cyndane said, Cyndane leads between the two of them. Moghedien doesn't like that she's been subordinated to another of the Chosen. Nae'blis is bad enough.

As for her future role, I imagine Moridin will use her to guard the dreamspike at the Black Tower, now that he knows Slayer isn't enough. Maybe she'll do other things, but with one book left, it's hard to see.
Old 08-13-2011, 12:25 PM
Hero of the Horn

Enigma will become famous soon enoughEnigma will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terez View Post
I think she hates Cyndane more now because, as Cyndane said, Cyndane leads between the two of them. Moghedien doesn't like that she's been subordinated to another of the Chosen. Nae'blis is bad enough.
On the other hand she is enought of a coward to enjoy having Cyndane take the blame for anything that might go wrong or draw fire from enemies.
Old 08-13-2011, 02:12 PM
Hero of the Horn

Frenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Frenzy Send a message via Yahoo to Frenzy

Moghedien's enough of a self-serving coward that she'll likely survive the upcoming unpleasantness unless a) someone specifically targets her, b) she gets thrust unwillingly into a situation a la the Cleansing, or c) (and i hope it isn't C) she get's unlucky.

How did she end up as a trusted member of Lews Therin's organization? Wars are expensive, and somebody has to gather in the funds to pay for them.

Moghedien's effectiveness will be directly proportional to how much freedom she has. If she has the ability to tap into an information network and the time to think thru the intel she gathers, she's cunning enough to figure stuff out and use it to her advantage. If she can't, she's just a guard in livery.

"How the hell do you Godwin a thread with CUCUMBERS!!?" -- Tru

"I love cucumber prawn... " -- Ivhon

"Have to catch me first. Scared shitless always outruns mad as hell." -- Sinistrum

"Some days I'm happy Frenzy doesn't live next door." -- Tamyrlin

"So Frenzy is a scientist then?" -- Davian
"Well duh. An Evil scientist. " -- Khoram
Old 08-13-2011, 03:50 PM
Elder

sleepinghour has a reputation beyond reputesleepinghour has a reputation beyond reputesleepinghour has a reputation beyond reputesleepinghour has a reputation beyond reputesleepinghour has a reputation beyond reputesleepinghour has a reputation beyond reputesleepinghour has a reputation beyond reputesleepinghour has a reputation beyond reputesleepinghour has a reputation beyond reputesleepinghour has a reputation beyond reputesleepinghour has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishara View Post
As much as I have utter disdain for her, she has proved herself dangerous and I don't think we've seen the last of her...
She always was a coward, but I'm curious to see if that's changed since Winter's Heart where her last thoughts were: "Strangely, she still felt no fear. She thought if she survived this, she would never feel fear again." It would be fitting, in a way, if Nynaeve was partly responsible for Moghedien losing her greatest weakness--her cowardice--since Moghedien was responsible for Nynaeve losing her block in ACoS.
Old 08-13-2011, 09:29 PM
Hero of the Horn

If she has grown a backbone it may be too little too late. Given her circumstances she is as likely to be used by Moridin as cannon fodder as anything else.
Old 08-14-2011, 02:58 AM
Elder

Res_Ipsa has a brilliant futureRes_Ipsa has a brilliant futureRes_Ipsa has a brilliant futureRes_Ipsa has a brilliant futureRes_Ipsa has a brilliant futureRes_Ipsa has a brilliant futureRes_Ipsa has a brilliant futureRes_Ipsa has a brilliant futureRes_Ipsa has a brilliant futureRes_Ipsa has a brilliant futureRes_Ipsa has a brilliant future

While I would agree Moghedien is a coward it is important to note that she would not view herself as a coward. She is alive precisely because she is bendable. Where certain characters are unable to bend and adapt, Moghedien thrives. She has experienced her fair share of disappointments and yet she lives where others of the chosen have fallen.

I am reminded of a real world example.

Following the Vietnam War one of the North Vietnamese generals discussed the war with his US counterpart. The US general reflected that the US had dominated on the land, sea, and air. The North Vietnamese general simply stated that despite those truths, North Vietnam had won the war. The US general blustered but how could he deny the obvious.

The point is what seems to be cowardice, in the case of Moghedien cannot be understood as a simple thing when all that matters is the end result. Yes, she has been punished for her failures and can hardly be said to be free in her own mind and body but she is alive and still able to effect change for the DO. Also, her survival would be frustrating to no end when one views a preconceived notion of "acceptable" conduct on how one should survive. Just like the US general, many would discount her actions without realizing that she has won.

One's definition of cowardice would appear relative if you consider a priority list with survival at the top, and so long as you succeed in that category all other considerations can be explained away by ones own reasoning (deluding or lying to one's own self). I would definitely argue that the Spider is able to convince herself of anything so long as she can survive in the process.

" 'Looks like the game can be won after all,' [Mat] said. 'Tell the foxes I'm mighty pleased with this key they gave me. Also, you can all go rot in a flaming pit of fire and ashes, you unwashed lumps on a pig's backside. Have a grand bloody day.' "

"Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day."

Last edited by Res_Ipsa; 08-14-2011 at 03:08 AM.
Old 08-14-2011, 08:16 AM
Hero of the Horn

Appearing to be a coward could certainly be a useful plot for survival among the forsaken. If one compares Moggy to say someone like Demandred most of the forsaken view Moggy with contempt and while they all say one has to keep an eny on her, none of them seem to take her too seriously unless they are virtually on their death bed.

If she actually had a bit of courage she could use that contempt. All the forsaken are certain she would never try a srike one on one and tend to let their guard down. She could take one completly by surprise and if it was done right, none of the other's would ever know what she had done.

Demandred on the other hand is widely feared/respected by the others and they all keep their guard up when he is around so he had no real opening for a strike.

The trouble is that the spider lacks the determination to take a chance. The only example I can think of her ever risking anything was her attack on Nynaeve by balefire and that was driven by very very strong hatred that she seems to lack for any of the other forsaken.

She might survive to the end game but the way the Shadow is organised survival is not enough. True survival means you have to be No 1 otherwise eventually when the numbers are wittled down even the spider will stand out and end up being used by who ever is in charge.
Old 08-14-2011, 01:54 PM
Elder

Juan has much to be proud ofJuan has much to be proud ofJuan has much to be proud ofJuan has much to be proud ofJuan has much to be proud ofJuan has much to be proud ofJuan has much to be proud ofJuan has much to be proud ofJuan has much to be proud ofJuan has much to be proud ofJuan has much to be proud of

@enigma
True survival means staying alive... Which is has so far.

She might have not killed any Forsaken for her own reasons.

Also, if you recall reading Graendal's POV in ToM, you'll find that if you're gonna actually kill a forsaken, you better have a damn good reason to, else the DO will get pissed. He doesn't like losing his Chosen because they don't trust each other or get along. It's one thing that he encourages competition and distrust, and manipulation, and lies, etc. It's another thing to actually lose them because they all try to kill each other. If that was the case, the Shadow woulnt be as organized as it is, because they'd be constantly killing each other when the opportunity presented itself.

I went to a garage sale. "How much for the garage?" "It's not for sale."
Old 08-14-2011, 04:40 PM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juan View Post
@enigma
True survival means staying alive... Which is has so far.
Yes survival means staying alive but that is only in the short to medium term among the shadow. If you survive long enought but don't gain rank eventually someone who has grained rank can put you in a position thats very hazerdous to your health and all for some gain that your superiour wants, not necessarily you want.

Granted even the braver forsaken such as Demandred now find themselves having to jump when Moridin says hop and while the DO may not like loosing forsaken I think both Moridin, SH and the Dark One will not loose to much sleep if they lose some forsaken getting some advantage this close to the lans battle.
Old 08-14-2011, 05:53 PM
Hero of the Horn

yks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond repute

Moghedien, along with Graendal (but for Graendal I've other reasons) is... possibly the most "understandable" of the Forsaken for me. Spider in the web, the puppetmaster. You know, when I was little I used to dream that when I grew up, I'd become Richelieu from the Three Musketeers. The puppetmaster, the spider in the web, the Gray Cardinal. He's always portrayed in such bad light but the guy was really awesome. He kept the country from falling apart while the king thought it might be nice to give the soldiers some haircuts. And he was either modest enough or very clever to describe himself as (I'm paraphrasing) "I am like a 0. I need a 1 to stand in front of me to be anything at all".

Moghedien, on the other hand has made a few fairly bad decisions on when to strike. However, through it all she is still alive, still plotting and still vicious. I find it interesting that she joined the Shadow only after the Bore was drilled, although, so did quite a few others. It sounds like a very calculated move: she picked the side most likely to get her where she wants - on top of the world, ruling everything like the master puppeteer she thinks she is.

Although, to be honest until now I'd never looked at her real name. Lilen. Switch the L-s to N-s and N to L and turn the name around, what do you get? Coincidence? Financial adviser indeed...

In certain ways Moghedien is the perfect counterpoint to Graendal: while Graendal delves deep into one subject and one alone, pushing all distractions to the side as much as possible, Moghedien divides her attention in as many ways as possible. Graendal's strongest point was the study of the mind - the waking mind. But Moghedien's is Tel'aran'rhiod - the sleeping mind.

Bonded to JWB

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
-- Winston Churchill
Old 08-15-2011, 02:48 AM
Hero of the Horn

yks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond repute

so while I was sleeping, ironically enough, it occurred to me that it wold make perfect sense for Moghedien to have been punished for spying in people's dreams. Imagine if you were working on Wall street and had access to the dreams of Steve Jobs? Not only to glean knowledge of his next moves but also perhaps to influence his moves...

Bonded to JWB

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
-- Winston Churchill
Old 08-15-2011, 05:41 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by yks 6nnetu hing View Post
so while I was sleeping, ironically enough, it occurred to me that it wold make perfect sense for Moghedien to have been punished for spying in people's dreams. Imagine if you were working on Wall street and had access to the dreams of Steve Jobs? Not only to glean knowledge of his next moves but also perhaps to influence his moves...
It sounds like the sort of thing that she would have done but I don't think she was ever caught. I'm going from memory and I can't recall if it was in the Guide or elsewhere but I thought it was said that she was on LTT's staff as a mid level official and she caused a public transport disaster to cover her tracks when she was discovered and had to run.

The point is would LTT or the Light allows say a stock broker with a conviction for unethical behavour onto his staff and at middle management position. Granted she was not a top general or such but it seems very stupid that in a fight to the death against the forces of evil you give responsiblity to somoene who has proved that they are suceptible to evil.
Old 08-15-2011, 06:06 AM
Elder

Zombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Zombie Sammael

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma View Post
Granted she was not a top general or such but it seems very stupid that in a fight to the death against the forces of evil you give responsiblity to somoene who has proved that they are suceptible to evil.
It would depend how desperate that fight to the death was; we know that by the time of the strike at Shayol Ghul, it was very desperate indeed, so it depends upon how late in the day Moggy actually went over.

Master of the lightnings, rider on the storm,
wearer of a crown of swords, spinner out of fate.
Who thinks he turns the Wheel of Time,
may learn the truth too late.

Light is held before the maw of the infinite void, and all that he is can be seized.

The one who Death has known
Old 08-15-2011, 06:19 AM
Hero of the Horn

I don't think we are ever told when she was publically outed. The first 3 years in the war saw a lot of territory taken by the Shadow. Over the next 4 years the light reclaimed a lot of ground. Then there was year of stalemate before the shadow started its final push.

Its a guess but she was probably in place for at least the early years but would she have been one of the top 13 if she was still a spy and LTT was reclaiming a lot of territory during the 4 year period? Doesn't sound like a great spy.

In any event things only got really bad for the light at the end. Before that I can't think that they would be able to reclaim so much territory but be so short of staff that an ethically channeleged stock broker would have to be given a mid ranking position in the commander in chief's staff. Thats a bit like putting notorous gossip to work in the CIA or pentagon during time of war.
Old 08-15-2011, 09:02 AM
Hero of the Horn

Ishara has disabled reputation
Send a message via MSN to Ishara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma View Post
It sounds like the sort of thing that she would have done but I don't think she was ever caught. I'm going from memory and I can't recall if it was in the Guide or elsewhere but I thought it was said that she was on LTT's staff as a mid level official and she caused a public transport disaster to cover her tracks when she was discovered and had to run.

The point is would LTT or the Light allows say a stock broker with a conviction for unethical behavour onto his staff and at middle management position. Granted she was not a top general or such but it seems very stupid that in a fight to the death against the forces of evil you give responsiblity to somoene who has proved that they are suceptible to evil.
Thanks to the BWB, we know for sure that she was caught being unethical and charged before she turned. We also know that she was an operative for a fair amount of time before being exposed and staging that transit explosion to cover her escape. We also know that she was responsible for the deaths (indirectly and directly) of more than a few of LTTs higher-ups. Now, yes, the BWB is not the most accurate source of info, but we have to contest it with right now. So it seems that yeah, he did hire the unethical stock broker into his team knowingly. But if LTT was anything like Rand (LOL) then we know he was likely to give people a second chance...

Rand: You are an insensitive bastard!!!
Mat: And you ruined another hat!

It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by lightening. -- Calvin

"Gee, I wish I could do magic! Maybe I'll try!" --SDog

Official Vixen of Theoryland and Theoryland Siren

Grain Goddess, the Rood Inverse, the Mad Glomper
Old 08-15-2011, 09:50 AM
Hero of the Horn

WinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to WinespringBrother

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishara View Post
Thanks to the BWB, we know for sure that she was caught being unethical and charged before she turned. We also know that she was an operative for a fair amount of time before being exposed and staging that transit explosion to cover her escape. We also know that she was responsible for the deaths (indirectly and directly) of more than a few of LTTs higher-ups. Now, yes, the BWB is not the most accurate source of info, but we have to contest it with right now. So it seems that yeah, he did hire the unethical stock broker into his team knowingly. But if LTT was anything like Rand (LOL) then we know he was likely to give people a second chance...
Considering how long the Black Ajah has remained hidden within the White Tower, it isn't surprising that the Shadow was able to infiltrate LTT's army. The Shadow is just sneaky that way. Also, Moggy has shown that she can go undercover (Gyldin, Marigan).

I'd like to know what the Dark One was talking about when he said that Moggy did some good by accident.

"Oh, y'all [Theorylanders] are awesome with awesome sauce, but you ask a lot of tricky questions. I had to watch myself with you guys." - Maria

"I need to RAFO more things, I'm not being very Robert Jordan..." - Brandon
Old 08-15-2011, 09:56 AM
Elder

Zombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Zombie Sammael

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinespringBrother View Post
I'd like to know what the Dark One was talking about when he said that Moggy did some good by accident.
Possibly leading the Shadow to the rebels?

Master of the lightnings, rider on the storm,
wearer of a crown of swords, spinner out of fate.
Who thinks he turns the Wheel of Time,
may learn the truth too late.

Light is held before the maw of the infinite void, and all that he is can be seized.

The one who Death has known
Old 08-15-2011, 10:51 AM
Elder

sleepinghour has a reputation beyond reputesleepinghour has a reputation beyond reputesleepinghour has a reputation beyond reputesleepinghour has a reputation beyond reputesleepinghour has a reputation beyond reputesleepinghour has a reputation beyond reputesleepinghour has a reputation beyond reputesleepinghour has a reputation beyond reputesleepinghour has a reputation beyond reputesleepinghour has a reputation beyond reputesleepinghour has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinespringBrother View Post
The incident with Birgitte revealed that the Heroes of the Horn reside in T'A'R where they can be killed. Imagine Mat blowing the Horn during the Last Battle only to discover the Heroes aren't coming because Slayer already killed them all in T'A'R... That's probably not going to happen, but I think it would have made an interesting twist and made Slayer seem far more menacing as a villain.

And we still don't know what Moghedien ordered the remaining three Black sisters in Liandrin's group (Jeaine Caide, Rianna Andomeran, Berylla Naron) to do. They haven't been seen or heard of since TFoH.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Sammael View Post
Possibly leading the Shadow to the rebels?
The Shadow could easily have found out about Salidar from the Black sisters there, so I don't think it's that.
Old 08-15-2011, 11:16 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepinghour View Post
The Shadow could easily have found out about Salidar from the Black sisters there, so I don't think it's that.
Jedi hand wave: "These are not the rebels you were searching for."

Tags
character of the week, lilen morial, moghedien