art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7653

Logged In (1): ShadowbaneX,

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > Forum Archives > Archived - WoT Discussion Boards > Archived: General Wheel of Time Discussion - 05/2008 - 03/2012
User Name
Password

Old 09-30-2011, 06:07 PM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Terez
Default A nice clue for AMOL from Brandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon
Now, to fire a gun that has been sitting on the mantle since the middle (chapters 30-40) of book 3. #AMoL. Guess away.
And then a link to Chekhov's Gun. Mat's luck, maybe? Could be a lot of things.

Last edited by Terez; 09-30-2011 at 06:52 PM.
Old 09-30-2011, 06:20 PM
Youngling

Lambada is an unknown quantity at this point

I may be mistaken, but it could be the first time we heard the phrase "The Dark One's own luck".

With ta'veren the luck is meant to balance with equal unlucky events. Yet we don't see that from Matt AFAIK. Perhaps the Dark One has augmented his ta'veren?
Old 09-30-2011, 06:22 PM
Elder

sandoz12 is a jewel in the roughsandoz12 is a jewel in the roughsandoz12 is a jewel in the rough

Maybe Chapter 35 and Perrin's dream of Rand being consumed by a circle of Myrddral?

Otherwise of course Mat's luck seems obvious.
Old 09-30-2011, 06:33 PM
Youngling

Tomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant future

Maybe some red ajah sisters recognise Thom and acts on it (afraid some of the red ajah remembers him), chapter 31.
Old 09-30-2011, 06:34 PM
Lord of the Board

Tamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Tamyrlin
Default Fireworks, cannons

Literally firing of a cannon?
Old 09-30-2011, 06:35 PM
Youngling

janschulz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Darkhounds

I would go for the darkhounds. The "big pack", which crossed Perins path, is still not used yet...
Old 09-30-2011, 06:37 PM
Dragonmount Mod

Muirenn is an unknown quantity at this point

Forcible turning to the shadow using 13 channelers weaving through 13 myrddraal.

Edit: And wouldn't ya know it, my TDR book is MIA so I can't check the reference. It's a Black Ajah conspiracy I tell ya!

Last edited by Muirenn; 09-30-2011 at 06:42 PM.
Old 09-30-2011, 06:39 PM
Elder

sleepinghour has a reputation beyond reputesleepinghour has a reputation beyond reputesleepinghour has a reputation beyond reputesleepinghour has a reputation beyond reputesleepinghour has a reputation beyond reputesleepinghour has a reputation beyond reputesleepinghour has a reputation beyond reputesleepinghour has a reputation beyond reputesleepinghour has a reputation beyond reputesleepinghour has a reputation beyond reputesleepinghour has a reputation beyond repute

The conversation between Ba'alzamon and Lanfear is also interesting in the light of what happened at the end of ToM.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDR 36
“Do you serve yourself now, Lanfear?” Ba’alzamon’s voice was soft, but flame raged continuously in his eyes and mouth.
“Have you abandoned your oaths to the Great Lord of the Dark?”
For an instant the darkness nearly obliterated him, only the glowing fires showing through.
“They are not so easily broken as the oaths to the Light you forsook, proclaiming your new master in the very Hall of the Servants. Your master claims you forever, Lanfear. Will you serve, or do you choose an eternity of pain, of endless dying without release?”
Old 09-30-2011, 06:39 PM
Elder

sandoz12 is a jewel in the roughsandoz12 is a jewel in the roughsandoz12 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muirenn View Post
Forcible turning to the shadow using 13 channelers weaving through 13 myrddraal.
But wasn't this gun introduced a lot earlier in Egwene's testing?
Old 09-30-2011, 06:45 PM
Youngling

Tomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant future

I like the darkhounds theory.

I don't remember exactly, but doesn't Faile refer to Old Grim with the darkhounds.

I don't have the book in front of me, writing from memory.
Old 09-30-2011, 06:46 PM
Youngling

Nelal Hurcran is a jewel in the roughNelal Hurcran is a jewel in the roughNelal Hurcran is a jewel in the roughNelal Hurcran is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muirenn View Post
Edit: And wouldn't ya know it, my TDR book is MIA so I can't check the reference. It's a Black Ajah conspiracy I tell ya!
Use Encyclopaedia-WoT. It's great for figuring out what happened when.

As it happens, though, Egwene's Accepted test happened in chapter 22.
Old 09-30-2011, 06:46 PM
Dragonmount Mod

Muirenn is an unknown quantity at this point

Well, bother, what chapter is her testing? I'm seriously bad with what happened in which chapter. Which is why I
initially went to check the reference.

Edit: And y'all post really freakin' fast today! Okay, I was off by 8 chapters, I'll take that as a margin of error.
Old 09-30-2011, 06:47 PM
Lord of the Board

Tamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond repute
Default To quote the passage about fireworks, cannon

Quote:
TITLE: Dragon Reborn
CHAPTER: 37 - Fires in Cairhien
She had dreamed of Perrin with a wolf, and with a falcon, and a hawk - and the falcon and the hawk fighting - of Perrin running from someone deadly, and Perrin stepping willingly over the edge of a towering cliff while saying, "It must be done. I must learn to fly before I reach the bottom." There had been one dream of an Aiel, and she thought that had to do with Perrin, too, but she was not sure. And a dream of Min, springing a steel trap but somehow walking through it without so much as seeing it. There had been dreams of Mat, too. Of Mat with dice spinning 'round him - she felt she knew where that one came from - of Mat being followed by a man who was not there - she still did not understand that; there was a man following, or maybe more than one, but in some way there was no one there - of Mat riding desperately toward something unseen in the distance that he had to reach, and Mat with a woman who seemed to be tossing fireworks about. An Illuminator, she assumed, but that made no more sense than anything else.
It's a long shot, but it's fun that it's within the parameters, but we've since heard mention of it since...so, likely not.

Last edited by Tamyrlin; 09-30-2011 at 06:49 PM.
Old 09-30-2011, 06:47 PM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandoz12 View Post
But wasn't this gun introduced a lot earlier in Egwene's testing?
Yes, but this is a better example of a Chekhov's Gun than anything else brought up so far - we need something that was introduced, and then never used.
Old 09-30-2011, 06:50 PM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelal Hurcran View Post
Use Encyclopaedia-WoT. It's great for figuring out what happened when.

As it happens, though, Egwene's Accepted test happened in chapter 22.
Happy birthday.
Old 09-30-2011, 06:50 PM
Lord of the Board

Default Curious

Quote:
And a dream of Min, springing a steel trap but somehow walking through it without so much as seeing it.
Has this happened?
Old 09-30-2011, 06:52 PM
Youngling

rdmaxwell is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Chekhov's Gun

oops. I was thinking of the wrong book

Last edited by rdmaxwell; 09-30-2011 at 07:00 PM. Reason: wrong book--I'll keep looking
Old 09-30-2011, 06:54 PM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamyrlin View Post
Quote:
And a dream of Min, springing a steel trap but somehow walking through it without so much as seeing it.
Has this happened?
Yup. She sprung the steel trap in the Tower by giving Elaida what she needed to depose Siuan.
Old 09-30-2011, 06:54 PM
Youngling

Aulis Vaara has a spectacular aura aboutAulis Vaara has a spectacular aura aboutAulis Vaara has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambada View Post
I may be mistaken, but it could be the first time we heard the phrase "The Dark One's own luck".

With ta'veren the luck is meant to balance with equal unlucky events. Yet we don't see that from Matt AFAIK. Perhaps the Dark One has augmented his ta'veren?
While the Checkov's Gun could well be Matt's luck, I do feel the need to point out that the Ta'veren phenomenon of changing the odds really only applies to others within the Ta'veren's radius of influence. And even then only to those of whom the Ta'veren has no need.

Ta'veren themselves are luckier than the average person already, and it certainly isn't balanced! Everything has always seemed to go Rand's way, against the odds. Less so for Perrin, but he is still getting the things he needs without getting anything substantially negative on his plate.

Matt is just exceptionally lucky. It MIGHT be the Dark One's own luck, but I rather doubt it.

I personally have no idea what the Chekhov's gun is, though, it's been too long since I read The Dragon Reborn to even remember what was in those chapters. From the answers I read here, I would go for the turning to the dark trick. It was long overdue.
Old 09-30-2011, 06:58 PM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aulis Vaara View Post
While the Checkov's Gun could well be Matt's luck, I do feel the need to point out that the Ta'veren phenomenon of changing the odds really only applies to others within the Ta'veren's radius of influence. And even then only to those of whom the Ta'veren has no need.

Ta'veren themselves are luckier than the average person already, and it certainly isn't balanced! Everything has always seemed to go Rand's way, against the odds. Less so for Perrin, but he is still getting the things he needs without getting anything substantially negative on his plate.

Matt is just exceptionally lucky. It MIGHT be the Dark One's own luck, but I rather doubt it.
RJ said that it was, in a way:

Quote:
DragonCon 4 September 2005 - Emma reporting

Question: In The Dragon Reborn, Lanfear visits Mat as he is recuperating from his One Power surgery over the dagger. At one point she stretches out her hand towards him and he feels a tingle going over him, somebody interrupts them, and she turns her head and sobs, at about the same time a member of Black Ajah stole angreal and ter'angreal6 out of the Tower cache, one of which was a ter'angreal that was known to have some effect on chance. So it was about this time that Mat's really really really weird luck and the dice rolling in his head began. Is this a connection or coincidence?
Jordan: That is a coincidence. When they say that Mat has the Dark One's own luck, he can get as mad as he wants to, but in a way it is true. It wasn't a gift from Lanfear, though.

Tags
@brandsanderson, a memory of light, chekhov's gun, mat's luck, the dragon reborn, twitter