art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7611

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > Guild Wars: Theoryland
User Name
Password

Old 02-28-2012, 03:51 PM
Hero of the Horn

WinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to WinespringBrother
Default Traits and Attributes - customizing your GW2 character

http://www.arena.net/blog/play-your-...and-attributes

Great article that details the specific traits by category for each profession and how they synergize.

"Oh, y'all [Theorylanders] are awesome with awesome sauce, but you ask a lot of tricky questions. I had to watch myself with you guys." - Maria

"I need to RAFO more things, I'm not being very Robert Jordan..." - Brandon

Last edited by czymann; 03-13-2012 at 08:23 AM.
Old 02-28-2012, 04:17 PM
Elder

czymann is just really niceczymann is just really niceczymann is just really niceczymann is just really nice

That is very cool. Even more ways to make your character feel and play more unique.
Old 02-28-2012, 04:41 PM
Hero of the Horn

Sarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to behold

So... trait points can't be respecced on the fly... there's bound to be some ranting over that on the Guru forums.

Can't say I'm too big a fan of that either, actually. :|

the Grey Viper, the Lord of Forsaken Roads, the Pink Sunset
Old 02-28-2012, 04:52 PM
Elder

czymann is just really niceczymann is just really niceczymann is just really niceczymann is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarevok View Post
So... trait points can't be respecced on the fly... there's bound to be some ranting over that on the Guru forums.

Can't say I'm too big a fan of that either, actually. :|
Yea it is starting to heat up on the forums. I am not too keen about this either. Before they said we could respec our traits at any time outside combat. This is a total reversal on this. And so far this is a huge let down. I am really tired right now and gonna check the guru forums later and see whats going on and then I will throw my 2 cents in.
Old 02-28-2012, 04:58 PM
Hero of the Horn

ShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond repute

This sounds awesome, the traits themselves that is. I would have prefered a more GW1-style for respec'ing. It was nice to be able to switch characters whenever you were in town. Having to wait to find a place and spend coin to respec...yeah, I'm not to keen on that.
Old 02-28-2012, 09:25 PM
Elder

I love what Arenanet is trying to accomplish and I love GW2 but I will not be a blind fanboi about it. I have been posting on the guru forums about what I am not liking about this system and those irritating fanbois are not even bothering to try to understand my side or anyone elses side.

Lack of flexibility when once we would have had it. That is my beef about it. I am not sure if I care that it costs, but I am more about how it is a needless time sink. We already have to go to town to repair armor but now to respec as well? Why?

I am waiting for a Dev to step in and explain why they changed it from you can swap out your traits at any time outside of combat to you have to go to town and talk to a NPC and then pay to respec and then do that each and every time you want to respec? Needless grind time sink.
Old 02-28-2012, 10:11 PM
Elder

Someone on guru posted this observation. Apparently it shows this in some of the WvW videos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volkon View Post
Remember, you can still swap traits on the fly out of combat. You just can't redistribute the trait points. Considering how much that affects your stats, it makes sense.
If this is the case then I would feel much better about it. You would still be able to experiment with different builds to find what you are most comfortable with.
Old 02-29-2012, 04:53 AM
Hero of the Horn

Sarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by czymann View Post
Someone on guru posted this observation. Apparently it shows this in some of the WvW videos.

If this is the case then I would feel much better about it. You would still be able to experiment with different builds to find what you are most comfortable with.
Yeah, that's correct from what I've read. But what I don't like:
Either having the "wrong traits" active won't be a big problem, in which I wonder how much effect they actually have... and in that case, why have them at all?

Or: They do have a large enough effect, in which case you could find yourself in a situation where the ad-hoc group you find yourself in turns out to be full of characters specced for damage and no support or vice-versa. In that case, how does that work with Anet's claim that you can easily swap things around?

Edit: Someone on the Guru forum posted this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happo
Second, you have a quick travel system in place and with it you can pretty much instantenously travel to your trainer -> Respec -> instant travel back.
That's a good point that I previously forgot. There's probably a waypoint within a minute of where you met your group. Must say that changes my opinion.

Last edited by Sarevok; 02-29-2012 at 07:27 AM.
Old 02-29-2012, 07:25 AM
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarevok View Post
Yeah, that's correct from what I've read. But what I don't like:
Either having the "wrong traits" active won't be a big problem, in which I wonder how much effect they actually have... and in that case, why have them at all?

Or: They do have a large enough effect, in which case you could find yourself in a situation where the ad-hoc group you find yourself in turns out to be full of characters specced for damage and no support or vice-versa. In that case, how does that work with Anet's claim that you can easily swap things around?
Yea. It is obvious they changed that idea of switching around traits for your build while outside of combat. Why exactly? Not sure. The blog says to give your character a more permanence feeling to it. I am just waiting for an update from a Dev.
Old 02-29-2012, 11:30 AM
Hero of the Horn

Very good counter argument here:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalidri
I am not bothered by the fee for respec as it will discourage people from stopping in the middle of a dungeon or a dynamic event and spending the next half hour respeccing while you twiddle your thumbs - it will encourage planning ahead.
Yes, I'm slowly reading the Guru thread at work.

Old 02-29-2012, 01:04 PM
Youngling

Light Ranger is an unknown quantity at this point

That's 90+ pages that I'd rather not read.
Old 02-29-2012, 01:14 PM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Light Ranger View Post
That's 90+ pages that I'd rather not read.
yeah, I only read 11 pages before I went home.

Mostly ranting, but some interesting thoughts, as I posted.