art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7611

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > General "Other" Books Discussion > Brandon Sanderson
User Name
Password

Old 10-28-2011, 03:21 PM
Elder

Toss the dice is a glorious beacon of lightToss the dice is a glorious beacon of lightToss the dice is a glorious beacon of lightToss the dice is a glorious beacon of lightToss the dice is a glorious beacon of lightToss the dice is a glorious beacon of lightToss the dice is a glorious beacon of light
Default Mistborn

I know this is off-topic, but this is really the only forum I ever read, so it's going to be here.

I just got done reading Mistborn by my least favorite author, and was shocked at how good it was. As many of you may know, I am one of Sanderson's biggest critics, at least on here. For some stupid reason, I decided to check out Mistborn from the local library (I certainly wasn't going to buy it), and actually started reading it.

As a BS critic, I feel it is my duty to admit and spread the word that Mistborn is an excellent read. I am on the 2nd book now, the Well of Ascension.

Now, this doesn't change my opinion about BS regarding WoT of course, but it does considerably change my opinion about him as an author, at least of his individual works. I realize that there probably aren't too many people here that HAVEN'T read Mistborn due to BS, but if you haven't, I highly recommend it. That is all.

*feels unsettled*
Old 10-28-2011, 07:39 PM
Hero: The Prophet of Moiraine

Seeker has a reputation beyond reputeSeeker has a reputation beyond reputeSeeker has a reputation beyond reputeSeeker has a reputation beyond reputeSeeker has a reputation beyond reputeSeeker has a reputation beyond reputeSeeker has a reputation beyond reputeSeeker has a reputation beyond reputeSeeker has a reputation beyond reputeSeeker has a reputation beyond reputeSeeker has a reputation beyond repute

Where as the funniest thing is The Gathering Storm is what made me check out Mistborn and the other Sanderson titles.

I have to say that The Gathering Storm was probably the second most enjoyable Wheel of Time book I've ever read (Right behind The Great Hunt) Throughout that entire story, I could feel the author's empathy and respect for the characters he wrote, something that I felt was lacking in some of RJ's later books, which gave me the impression that he just wanted to get this damn series over with. Let me be clear, I'm not saying that RJ sold out, I just think he got sick and tired of writing this series and maybe wanted to move on to Infinity of Heaven.

But Gathering Storm reads like a book that came from the pen of an author who really cared about these characters and wanted to see them grow as people. There was a human quality to each character's point of view that really wasn't there in most of the books after Fires of Heaven. I found myself feeling sympathy for Rand as opposed to anger and dislike. I found myself nodding in agreement with Nynaeve instead of wanting to throttle her. How much of this is RJ and how much of this Brandon, I can't say. But Gathering Storm reads like a book by a fan who knows what the fandom wants and had the skill to give it to them.

One of the biggest surprises that I had when reading Gathering Storm happened when I reached page 150 and I realized that the plot really felt like it was moving forward at a healthy speed. This was a very sharp contrast when compared to pretty much everything after a A Crown of Swords. Each of those books, all the way up to Knife of Dreams had very minimal plot development. They moved at very slow pace. Knife of Dreams was definitely an improvement but was still no where near as exciting as the The Dragon Reborn. The early books had a lot of excitement and adventure; something important was always happening. Every chapter had major significance to the plot and the development of the characters. It's always been my opinion that people want to read books that keep them engaged. Every single scene needs to have a purpose that is clear to the audience and if it doesn't then the author needs to question why the scene is going into the manuscript. I was pleased to discover that Team Jordan adopted this philosophy with Gathering Storm.

I was so impressed with Brandon Sanderson that I went and bought Mistborn right away and I loved it. I still think Mistborn 1 is his best book but Way of Kings isn't far behind.
If his bride didn't like it, St. Peter wouldn't mind.

Well, now I lie here so out of breath and... over opiated.
Maybe I couldn't catch up no, but maybe she could have waited.
Old 10-29-2011, 04:33 AM
Youngling

Aulis Vaara has a spectacular aura aboutAulis Vaara has a spectacular aura aboutAulis Vaara has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
I was so impressed with Brandon Sanderson that I went and bought Mistborn right away and I loved it. I still think Mistborn 1 is his best book but Way of Kings isn't far behind.
Really? I'm only about halfway through The Way Of Kings, but I'm not all that impressed so far. Too steep a learning curve, and the different storylines really don't hang together very well, even after six-hundred-ish pages.

Mistborn, on the other hand, was engaging from the first to the last page.
Old 10-29-2011, 12:48 PM

Seeker has a reputation beyond reputeSeeker has a reputation beyond reputeSeeker has a reputation beyond reputeSeeker has a reputation beyond reputeSeeker has a reputation beyond reputeSeeker has a reputation beyond reputeSeeker has a reputation beyond reputeSeeker has a reputation beyond reputeSeeker has a reputation beyond reputeSeeker has a reputation beyond reputeSeeker has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aulis Vaara View Post
Really? I'm only about halfway through The Way Of Kings, but I'm not all that impressed so far. Too steep a learning curve, and the different storylines really don't hang together very well, even after six-hundred-ish pages.

Mistborn, on the other hand, was engaging from the first to the last page.
I felt the same way at first. In fact, I really did not like Way of Kings until about halfway through.

But stick with it. I'm pretty sure it was his first book and he was getting the hang of things. The end is just wicked awesome and worth the frustration.

Old 10-31-2011, 02:49 PM
Elder

Toss the dice is a glorious beacon of lightToss the dice is a glorious beacon of lightToss the dice is a glorious beacon of lightToss the dice is a glorious beacon of lightToss the dice is a glorious beacon of lightToss the dice is a glorious beacon of lightToss the dice is a glorious beacon of light
Default Well of Ascension

Spoilers below for the second Mistborn book Well of Ascension.

Just finished Well of Ascension, and thought it was good, but not nearly as good as the first one was. Some thoughts below:

-I noticed several inconsistencies with the first book. For example, in Mistborn Kelsier supposedly found information about the Eleventh Metal in the north, while in WoA, it is said he found it in the south. Also, some of the geographic references were messed up. One example of these is when Sazed is returning from his teachings in the south and sees two ashmounts. On the map, it is clear which two ashmounts he comes upon, but according to the two names given, one of them is actually clear on the opposite side of Luthadel to the northwest. I read a library paperback version though, so I'm unsure if it was a first edition or the map was notated wrong, or what the deal was.

-I found a good portion of the book to be relatively boring and repetitive, with the same few characters' feelings hammered into the reader over and over. At one point I also wondered if Sanderson was part 14-year-old girl, due to his repetitive and sappy blocks of text regarding feelings.

-Probably the most annoying and head-scratching part of the book was how incompetent the defenders (aka the leaders and organizers) of Luthadel were. A more minor point was where I wondered why more assassinations and general plots/ploys weren't devised and planned against the besieging armies. Assassinations, subterfuge, that sort of thing. However, my biggest gripe was the actual defense of the city itself. Luthadel had many gates around its walls, gates clearly described as not made to hold against battering in an attack. The Luthadel defenders had MONTHS to prepare for the impending attack while being besieged.

Quite aside from many more advanced ways to defend the city better, I was almost outraged that no one had thought to shore up or fortify those gates. No one was allowed to leave officially right? For months? At the very least, couldn't they have simply mounded stone or (anything) else up in front of the gates? The people in this series clearly have zero advanced military knowledge (or even intermediate military knowledge), which is fine. But wouldn't you think pure common sense would allow someone, anyone, to think "hey, our gates are crappy, let's reinforce them?" I realize the reason for this (along with everything else) was intentional and needed for the existing storyline to play out how it did, but I have to knock Sanderson for doing it this way. It was pretty unrealistic, or at the least, uninspiring.

-I really liked the ending with the Well. I thought the ending was the best part of the book, and it makes me excited to read the third book in the series. I like how it ties in the logbook and the metal plate at the Conventical of Seran, and made them important.

All in all, I thought Well of Ascension could have been better, but I did like it and thought it was good.
Old 10-31-2011, 02:59 PM
Hero of the Horn

Brita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
I felt the same way at first. In fact, I really did not like Way of Kings until about halfway through.

But stick with it. I'm pretty sure it was his first book and he was getting the hang of things. The end is just wicked awesome and worth the frustration.
Yep- this is how I felt as well. I literally had to force myself to read Way of Kings, but it promises something fantastic, especially the last quarter of the book. So I am looking forward to the second installment, I hope it delivers more.

As an aside, I was generally annoyed at the classic roles for men and women in the Way of Kings world. I loved Vin in Mistborn (and women in general, which is to say they were simply people and not gender-locked), and how she smashed stereotypes. So I was quite disappointed with the general set up of the culture in WoK.

“I don't have to agree with you to like you or respect you.” ― Anthony Bourdain
Old 10-31-2011, 03:05 PM
Hero of the Horn

Sarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brita View Post
So I was quite disappointed with the general set up of the culture in WoK.
possible minor Way of Kings spoiler:
Spoiler:
Having some group be in a more or less supressed role at the start makes it possible for one or more characters to break that mold. It seems to met that, uh... I forgot their names... the two soulcasters are being set up to do just that.

the Grey Viper, the Lord of Forsaken Roads, the Pink Sunset
Old 10-31-2011, 03:11 PM
Hero of the Horn

Brita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond repute

I think you are absolutely right Sare- and that is why by the end I was excited, but it took so long to set that up that I was discouraged for most of the book.

Old 11-01-2011, 09:50 AM
Hero of the Horn

yks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brita View Post
As an aside, I was generally annoyed at the classic roles for men and women in the Way of Kings world. I loved Vin in Mistborn (and women in general, which is to say they were simply people and not gender-locked), and how she smashed stereotypes. So I was quite disappointed with the general set up of the culture in WoK.
On the one hand, the whole "strong female" is no longer a cutting edge thing in fiction, it's a standard. At the same time you don't want your female characters resemble limp noodles either, so that means you need to find something different from a she-leopard and a fainting miss. I think tWoK did a decent job with setting up a strong female character in that scholar-chick (forget what her name was): loads of room for a strong character but not necessarily a female warrior character. Although you never know where the story will go.

Bonded to JWB

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
-- Winston Churchill
Old 11-01-2011, 12:32 PM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by yks 6nnetu hing View Post
On the one hand, the whole "strong female" is no longer a cutting edge thing in fiction, it's a standard. At the same time you don't want your female characters resemble limp noodles either, so that means you need to find something different from a she-leopard and a fainting miss. I think tWoK did a decent job with setting up a strong female character in that scholar-chick (forget what her name was): loads of room for a strong character but not necessarily a female warrior character. Although you never know where the story will go.
I know, I know. It's just the whole "cover your hand" thing (really?), uber-propriety and rigid roles. Blech. It was the culture, not the characters, that bothered me. I do think it is being set up for those cultural norms to be smashed (especially with the visions of the Radiants from the past), but after 1000 pages, I was pretty much done with it. Having trouble carrying items and doing normal activities because your hand is in a friggin' bag, take the bag off already. I guess that's just me :P.

Old 11-01-2011, 03:00 PM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

I liked the Mistborn series all the way up until the end of Book 3. I think BS screwed the pooch on the ending of the trilogy. I'm hopeful for Alloy of Law though.

The Way of Kings was very, very, very slow to get into but got better around the final quarter of the book. There is ZERO chance he ever succeeds in pitching that book/series to the publisher without being picked to complete WoT.

So far, I would rate his books as follows:

tWoK>Mistborn>>>Warbreaker>>>Elantris. There is a huge dropoff between Mistborn and Warbreaker in quality.

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Theoryland: Just Some Crazy In A Pot
Old 11-02-2011, 05:44 PM
Elder

So far I'm liking The Hero of Ages. To me, its better than the 2nd book. The only annoyance I've come across is the endless repetition of how both Vin and Elend incessantly ponder who they are. Sanderson should be bitch-slapped for that crap, but other than that I'm liking it.
Old 11-02-2011, 06:28 PM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toss the dice View Post
So far I'm liking The Hero of Ages. To me, its better than the 2nd book. The only annoyance I've come across is the endless repetition of how both Vin and Elend incessantly ponder who they are. Sanderson should be bitch-slapped for that crap, but other than that I'm liking it.
The ending pissed me off...the Vin/Elend "do nothing for 400 pages" is a bit annoying as well as you have noted.

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Old 11-04-2011, 11:16 AM
Elder

One Armed Gimp is a name known to allOne Armed Gimp is a name known to allOne Armed Gimp is a name known to allOne Armed Gimp is a name known to allOne Armed Gimp is a name known to allOne Armed Gimp is a name known to allOne Armed Gimp is a name known to allOne Armed Gimp is a name known to allOne Armed Gimp is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toss the dice View Post
At one point I also wondered if Sanderson was part 14-year-old girl
Glad to hear I am not the only one.
Old 11-04-2011, 11:58 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Armed Gimp View Post
Glad to hear I am not the only one.
That's basically my biggest issue with Warbreaker too. 90% of the POVs in the book are basically from the perspective of 2 14 year old girls.

Old 11-04-2011, 03:12 PM

Brandon Sanderson books by me

(Best to worst with worst still being pretty good)

Mistborn 1
Way of Kings
Warbreaker
Mistborn 3
Mistborn 2
Elantris.

Old 11-11-2011, 11:27 AM
Hero of the Horn

Mort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Mort

I just picked up the first Mistborn as audiobook. I signed up for www.audible.com and got 2 free books (for 14 days). I'm around chapter 4 now and it's pretty good so far.

"I discovered at an early age that if I talk long enough, I can make anything right or wrong. So either I am God, or truth is relative." - Jeff Winger, Community
----------

We rode on the winds of the rising storm, we ran to the sounds of thunder.
We danced among the lighting bolts, and tore the world asunder.

Old 11-21-2011, 03:24 PM
Hero of the Horn

Mort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Mort

I blew through the first two books of Mistborn on audiobook. Did anyone else get really frustrated about all the relationship angsty stuff? I could barely stand listening, I even tuned out at places, just hoping they didn't slip anything important in while they wondered if they were really worth being loved or bought dresses. The second book was basically all of this. I hope book 3 improves...

"I discovered at an early age that if I talk long enough, I can make anything right or wrong. So either I am God, or truth is relative." - Jeff Winger, Community
----------

We rode on the winds of the rising storm, we ran to the sounds of thunder.
We danced among the lighting bolts, and tore the world asunder.

Old 11-21-2011, 05:40 PM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mort View Post
I blew through the first two books of Mistborn on audiobook. Did anyone else get really frustrated about all the relationship angsty stuff? I could barely stand listening, I even tuned out at places, just hoping they didn't slip anything important in while they wondered if they were really worth being loved or bought dresses. The second book was basically all of this. I hope book 3 improves...
Yeah, the teenagey angst was a bit overboard there in Book 2.

Old 11-23-2011, 04:29 AM
Youngling

Khestra is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davian93 View Post
Yeah, the teenagey angst was a bit overboard there in Book 2.
Vin was a teenager finally allowed to be a girl. Ellend's thrust into a position of power he's not totally prepared for. I think they're entitled to a little angst, as is the text.
“You secretly harbor a love of painting, and you wish you could escape this life of death you’ve committed yourself to. You came through Trustair on your way south, rather than taking a more direct route, because you love the mountains. You’re hoping to hear word of your younger brother, whom you haven’t seen in years, and who disappeared on a hunting trip in southern Andor. You have a very tortured past. Read page four.” ~Matrim