art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7653

Logged In (1): abackpackthe,

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > Forum Archives > Archived - Non Wot Discussion Boards > Archived: Non WoT Related Discussion 09/2010 - 03/2012
User Name
Password

Old 11-05-2011, 09:01 AM
Elder

Zombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Zombie Sammael
Default Looking for a better Word processor

So basically, my job involves a hefty amount of typing. Up until now, I've been putting up with MS Word 2007 with all of it's fun bugs, inconsistencies, and failings that haven't been fixed since the last time, ooh, but we added "useless new feature you don't need". But this morning, I've finally snapped. Word lost a 10,000 word file that I was hoping to complete before going off for a nice weekend, and as a result my weekend has been completely screwed up because I have to do all of that work again.

For those who are interested, what happened was this: I started work on the file, completed the 10,000 words, then moved over to work on another file, saving it but using it as the template for the new file - this is what I normally do so I don't have to copy and paste the generic templates and front pages we use every single time . Instead of saving and backing it up like it was told to, Word has saved the work I had done on it since Tuesday morning (3000 words). It's meant to back everything up, multiple times, and save AutoRecovery files every few minutes. It decided not to.

I've had it up to here with this terrible, half-hearted attempt at a programme.

In the past, I've tried Open Office, but unfortunately it throws a hissy fit at the templates I need to use in RTF files and completely screws up the layout.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a Word processor that actually works that I could use? I don't care if I have to pay, I just want something that isn't as fundamentally broken as MS Word.

Master of the lightnings, rider on the storm,
wearer of a crown of swords, spinner out of fate.
Who thinks he turns the Wheel of Time,
may learn the truth too late.

Light is held before the maw of the infinite void, and all that he is can be seized.

The one who Death has known
Old 11-05-2011, 11:45 AM
Hero of the Horn

Mort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Mort

You could try LibreOffice. Supposed to be good.

"I discovered at an early age that if I talk long enough, I can make anything right or wrong. So either I am God, or truth is relative." - Jeff Winger, Community
----------

We rode on the winds of the rising storm, we ran to the sounds of thunder.
We danced among the lighting bolts, and tore the world asunder.

Old 11-05-2011, 01:15 PM
Elder

The Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond repute

Alot of people like Abiword, but it doesnt play nice with Word. I hate open office, it uses way too much ram. If you have the need for a long term solution, I'd suggest tweaking ms word. Cull it of those stupid extra features and pathetic GUI. Word got to number 1 for a reason, and it seems ms forgot that in trying to emulate apple and all of its retardedness.

You could try focus writer portable. Free, simple, portable.
Old 11-05-2011, 04:27 PM
Hero of the Horn

Weird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Sammael View Post
Does anyone have a suggestion for a Word processor that actually works that I could use? I don't care if I have to pay, I just want something that isn't as fundamentally broken as MS Word.
My sister-in-law used Wordperfect for her medical transcriptions business last I knew. I've used veersion 8 and found it fairly easy and reliable for the editing jobs that required it.

(Now if I could just figure out which questions they go to. )

I met you in a past life. You were wrong then, too.
Old 11-05-2011, 05:12 PM
Elder

Zombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Zombie Sammael

Thanks all. Downloading some demos so I can make up my mind. Some of these are expensive!

Master of the lightnings, rider on the storm,
wearer of a crown of swords, spinner out of fate.
Who thinks he turns the Wheel of Time,
may learn the truth too late.

Light is held before the maw of the infinite void, and all that he is can be seized.

The one who Death has known