art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7653

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > WHEEL OF TIME FORUMS > General Wheel of Time Discussion
User Name
Password

Closed Thread

Old 11-08-2011, 12:05 PM
Hero of the Horn

Ishara has disabled reputation
Send a message via MSN to Ishara
Default Ask Us Anything about WoT. There Are No Dumb Questions. No, Really. Part II

You can ask any question about anything and someone helpful person will be along to answer it shortly. We know lots of stuff, and we enjoy showing off our knowledge, as anyone who was at JordanCon 2010 knows well.

Basic Rules (as described throughout the Part I Thread):
- Egwene bashing will bemoved to the Egwene Bashing thread
- questions that develop into discussion will eventually be moved into their own thread - this is at the discretion of mods

Rand: You are an insensitive bastard!!!
Mat: And you ruined another hat!

It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by lightening. -- Calvin

"Gee, I wish I could do magic! Maybe I'll try!" --SDog

Official Vixen of Theoryland and Theoryland Siren

Grain Goddess, the Rood Inverse, the Mad Glomper

Last edited by Ishara; 11-08-2011 at 12:08 PM.
Old 11-08-2011, 06:05 PM
Youngling

Hugoye is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Two questions

1) Is there any guide dictating the rules for pronunciation of WoT personal names? The one that stimulated this question is, "Naeff." At first I thought "Nah-eff," then I thought perhaps "Nife" (as in "knife" - the "ae" working like the "ae" in Aes Sedai). I don't know if either of these are right. Is there any official word on this?

2) I asked once before how it would be possible for the Dragon to have ever gone over to the DO (as Ishamael claims has happened) without the Pattern being destroyed. I was told that the result wouldn't necessarily be destruction of the Pattern, although it would indeed be pretty bad. But if that's true, then why does Ishamael feel so confident that the DO actually CAN win? If even turning the Dragon can't work, then what can? I guess I'm asking because the books portray Ishamael's position as purely mathematical in it's reasoning: the DO can actually win, while the Dragon can - at best - push off destruction for a while longer. But is this so?
Old 11-08-2011, 06:39 PM
Elder

Khoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugoye View Post
1) Is there any guide dictating the rules for pronunciation of WoT personal names? The one that stimulated this question is, "Naeff." At first I thought "Nah-eff," then I thought perhaps "Nife" (as in "knife" - the "ae" working like the "ae" in Aes Sedai). I don't know if either of these are right. Is there any official word on this?

2) I asked once before how it would be possible for the Dragon to have ever gone over to the DO (as Ishamael claims has happened) without the Pattern being destroyed. I was told that the result wouldn't necessarily be destruction of the Pattern, although it would indeed be pretty bad. But if that's true, then why does Ishamael feel so confident that the DO actually CAN win? If even turning the Dragon can't work, then what can? I guess I'm asking because the books portray Ishamael's position as purely mathematical in it's reasoning: the DO can actually win, while the Dragon can - at best - push off destruction for a while longer. But is this so?
To question 1: There's the glossary at the back of the books that helps with pronunciation of certain words. Also, encyclopaedia-wot.org has the entire list of characters with pronunciation guides (for most of them - Naeff doesn't, for example, have a pronunciation guide - I'd assume that you pronounce it as it sounds, then. I always pronounced it Nay-eff. )

To question 2: Ishamael feels that the DO can win because, unlike the other turnings, where the Dragon wasn't the DR (in other words, LTT was reborn as another person, but wasn't reborn to be the Dragon) the DO could very well have turned him. The soul of LTT is prominent in the group of HotH, and having him on your side is quite the advantage - so, while not destructive to the entire Pattern, it certainly is "pretty bad".

Hope this helps a bit.

Life is a dream from which we all must wake before we can dream again.

Al dival, al kiserai, al mashi! - For light, glory, and love!

Carai an manshimaya ayend'an! - Honor of my blade for the fallen.
Old 11-09-2011, 12:52 PM
Youngling

JOS is a glorious beacon of lightJOS is a glorious beacon of lightJOS is a glorious beacon of lightJOS is a glorious beacon of lightJOS is a glorious beacon of lightJOS is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
1) I asked once before how it would be possible for the Dragon to have ever gone over to the DO (as Ishamael claims has happened) without the Pattern being destroyed. I was told that the result wouldn't necessarily be destruction of the Pattern, although it would indeed be pretty bad. But if that's true, then why does Ishamael feel so confident that the DO actually CAN win? If even turning the Dragon can't work, then what can? I guess I'm asking because the books portray Ishamael's position as purely mathematical in it's reasoning: the DO can actually win, while the Dragon can - at best - push off destruction for a while longer. But is this so?
I don't think it is so. Here is why:

Ishamael talks a big game and acts like a know it all. I think he is full of crap. First, it is almost certain that he doesn't actually remember his past lives in which he faced the Dragon. He has no problem lying about this. Second, he only has what the DO tells him and what he can reason out for his theories (which he takes as fact, because he has such a high opinion of his reasoning abilities). His logic may be very good and thorough, but his assumptions and the info that he gets from the DO are most likely falsehoods and half-truths. He was turned to shadow by his own reasoning after all. I don't think he actually knows much at all about the turnings of the wheel. The DO just gives him enough to make him serve his purposes.
One thing was sure. He was not what anyone thought. Those who believed they knew him were badly mistaken. He was transfigured, now. A force unto himself, and beyond any other power. They would all learn, eventually.
Old 11-09-2011, 04:17 PM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanadis View Post
A thought that hasn't left me since the clue about Tam having his first POV in AMOL, is: Did Tam know what Rand might become?

What I really wonder; Is Tam educated enough (well traveled enough to hear about the prophesy), or is the prophesy of the Dragon known enough in the general population that he would have suspected that the child he found at the Dragonmount slope, could become the Dragon Reborn?

Perhaps its a silly question; not many study the karaethon cycle (as I have understood it), but... well, it made me curious. Could Tam suspected? Was it well known that the Dragon would be born where he died?

*shrugs*
Excellent question, which I am moving to the CotW Thread for Tam!

It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by lightening. -- Calvin

Old 11-09-2011, 06:16 PM
Youngling

Cenire Telamon is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Glory of the Dragon

Hello Everyone!

I have a question about the poem at the end of tFoH entitled 'Glory of the Dragon'. Written in the Fourth Age.

There is one line that I'm having trouble understanding and placing which is..

'Yet the shards of hearts did give wounds. And what was once did come again - in fire and in storm
splitting all in twain.'

I have had an explanation on Facebook saying that it was the affect of Rand's balefire on Rahvin bringing Matt and Aviendha back to life. This doesn't really seem to fit with the rest of the passage, as this seems to fall after 'the binding nations to him. Making one of many' as the nations definatley haven't unified at that point in the time line and seems to allure to the prophesy of 'East and West' etc.. Making me feel that this heart business happens after Merrilor.

So what I am getting at is can anyone remember or have they seen any other reference to hearts being used in WoT?

Doesn't Iturald wear a heart on his cheek at one point? But it also makes me align it to Aviendha's vision in the ter'angreal about her children breaking the dragons peace. Can anyone help me with any quotes from the books about this?

Thanks. P.S this was my first Theoryland post so I hope it follows some kind of logic!
Old 11-09-2011, 06:40 PM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Terez

I posited in one of my FAQ articles that 'shards of hearts' refers to shards of the seals, which are made of heartstone.
Old 11-09-2011, 06:45 PM
Youngling

Cenire Telamon is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Heartstone

Whereabouts can I find this Terez?
Old 11-09-2011, 07:18 PM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute

hmm...try Ideal Seek. It's in the reference library in my sig - just search it.
Old 11-11-2011, 12:35 AM
Youngling

ghostwreck is an unknown quantity at this point

In chapter one of TGS,what is the story with the sword that Rand is wearing? It sounds like something I should know but I'm drawling a blank.
Old 11-11-2011, 12:48 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostwreck View Post
In chapter one of TGS,what is the story with the sword that Rand is wearing? It sounds like something I should know but I'm drawling a blank.
Rand's New Sword
Old 11-11-2011, 02:04 AM
Youngling

ghostwreck is an unknown quantity at this point

My deepest thanks.
Old 11-12-2011, 12:49 AM
Elder

Rand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of light

Are the s'redit based off of Indian or African elephants? I want to say Indian, as those are the ones most often used in warfare, work, etc. Or are they some elephant look a likes?
Old 11-12-2011, 04:50 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

What is the airspeed velocity of an unladen s'redit?
Old 11-12-2011, 09:10 AM
Youngling

Oden will become famous soon enoughOden will become famous soon enough

Is it a Sharan s'redit or a Seanchan s'redit?
Old 11-12-2011, 09:57 AM
Elder

Khoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonzoTheGreat View Post
If it were a raken, I'd be able to answer.

Life is a dream from which we all must wake before we can dream again.

Al dival, al kiserai, al mashi! - For light, glory, and love!

Carai an manshimaya ayend'an! - Honor of my blade for the fallen.
Old 11-12-2011, 10:08 AM
Elder

Landro is just really niceLandro is just really niceLandro is just really niceLandro is just really niceLandro is just really niceLandro is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonzoTheGreat View Post
Are you using a Trebuchet or a catapult?
Old 11-12-2011, 11:19 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landro View Post
Are you using a Trebuchet or a catapult?
Huh? I... I don't know that.
Old 11-17-2011, 11:42 PM
Youngling

Hugoye is an unknown quantity at this point

Two quick questions:

1) I came across the following quote in ToM
Quote:
Jonneth looked at his shot critically, then drew again - fletching to cheek - and loosed. The shaft fell true and hit the very same tree. Androl would guess that the shafts were less than two handspans apart.

Canler whistled again.

"My father trained on one of those," Nalaam noted. "Learned the art from a Two Rivers man whom he rescued from drowning in Illian. Has the bowstring as a memento.
The rest of Nalaam's stories sound unbelievable, but does anyone know if this is a reference to Tam al'Thor? Not that it matters (at least I don't think it does), just curious if anyone's thought about this.

2) I know we don't know much about the Book of Translation. My question: do we know if it would have any effect on the Seanchan Ogier?

In general, has there been any talk of how the Seanchan Ogier relate to the Randland Ogier (and vice-versa). Are there any indications that they are even aware of each other?
Old 11-18-2011, 07:10 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Two quick questions:

1) I came across the following quote in ToM

The rest of Nalaam's stories sound unbelievable, but does anyone know if this is a reference to Tam al'Thor? Not that it matters (at least I don't think it does), just curious if anyone's thought about this.
I'd say so, personally. We don't know many other Two Rivers men who were in Illian 20+ years ago, do we? Good catch!

Closed Thread