art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7611

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > Forum Archives > Archived - WoT Discussion Boards > Archived: General Wheel of Time Discussion - 05/2008 - 03/2012
User Name
Password

Old 01-18-2012, 04:07 PM
Youngling

Fin will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to Fin
Default Galad Damodred

I tried searching for this but if its been discussed i couldnt bring it up. in the trial by light between galad and valda words are used that hints to galad being able to channel. i dont have the book in front of me but something about noticing things finely or whatnot. can he channel and why is it showing up so late i heard that men show later than women. or is it some force bringing it out ie for the last battle etc
Old 01-18-2012, 04:08 PM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Terez

The same words are used to hint that Lan could channel. Except that's not how they were meant at all. It's the void, which is necessary for channeling, but not strictly related.
Old 01-19-2012, 04:04 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

It is a matter of concentrating without getting distracted by focusing on concentrating. Which, I'll admit, may not clarify things too much.

Perhaps a well known real world variation will help: when people are angry, they are often given the advice "first count to ten". That's not because counting to ten will actually resolve whatever it is that makes you angry. Nor is it because numbers are particularly well suited to dealing with jerks who step on your toes. It is because it distracts you a bit, which gives you time to think, and, perhaps just as importantly, makes it necessary for your mind to reorganise things so that you can once again focus on what actually matters. After which the normal reaction is just to punch the jerk in the face anyway, of course, but the fact that humans can't make this idea work properly is not a slight on the approach itself.

In Randland, instead of counting to ten, people (warriors, especially) mentally feed all their emotions and other distractions into an imaginary flame, so that there's nothing left but that which they have to deal with.

Of course, if I'm right, then the void would not be actually necessary for channeling. The same thing could be achieved in another way too. But, because all (male) channelers are trained with the void, they need it in order to be effective.
Old 01-19-2012, 04:07 AM
Youngling

Dajoran has a brilliant futureDajoran has a brilliant futureDajoran has a brilliant futureDajoran has a brilliant futureDajoran has a brilliant futureDajoran has a brilliant futureDajoran has a brilliant futureDajoran has a brilliant futureDajoran has a brilliant futureDajoran has a brilliant futureDajoran has a brilliant future

I counted to 10 once... and balefired my Lunch...

It's too risky don't do it unless you are sure you can't Channel...

"Saighdiúirí, a ullmhú marcra chun pas a fháil ar aghaidh! Ar aghaidh an Gharda Chroí! Ar aghaidh! Chun an tOnórach an Iolar Dearg! An Iolar Dearg!"

beidh mo chlaíomh onóir na marbh.
Old 01-19-2012, 04:22 AM
Elder

Zombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Zombie Sammael

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dajoran View Post
I counted to 10 once... and balefired my Lunch...

It's too risky don't do it unless you are sure you can't Channel...
I have red hair and grey eyes, does that mean I should stay away from any miniature replicas of large, globe-hefting statues?

Master of the lightnings, rider on the storm,
wearer of a crown of swords, spinner out of fate.
Who thinks he turns the Wheel of Time,
may learn the truth too late.

Light is held before the maw of the infinite void, and all that he is can be seized.

The one who Death has known
Old 01-19-2012, 04:28 AM
Youngling

Dajoran has a brilliant futureDajoran has a brilliant futureDajoran has a brilliant futureDajoran has a brilliant futureDajoran has a brilliant futureDajoran has a brilliant futureDajoran has a brilliant futureDajoran has a brilliant futureDajoran has a brilliant futureDajoran has a brilliant futureDajoran has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Sammael View Post
I have red hair and grey eyes, does that mean I should stay away from any miniature replicas of large, globe-hefting statues?
I think you'll be safe - as long as you have a dormant volcano nearby to do some soul searching... and three ladies on the go... and have recently escaped a bad S&M scenario with a 3000+ year old healer...

"Saighdiúirí, a ullmhú marcra chun pas a fháil ar aghaidh! Ar aghaidh an Gharda Chroí! Ar aghaidh! Chun an tOnórach an Iolar Dearg! An Iolar Dearg!"

Old 01-19-2012, 04:28 AM
Elder

Zombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Zombie Sammael

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dajoran View Post
I think you'll be safe - as long as you have a dormant volcano nearby to do some soul searching... and three ladies on the go... and have recently escaped a bad S&M scenario with a 3000+ year old healer...
Looks like we're all right then.

Master of the lightnings, rider on the storm,
wearer of a crown of swords, spinner out of fate.
Who thinks he turns the Wheel of Time,
may learn the truth too late.

Light is held before the maw of the infinite void, and all that he is can be seized.

The one who Death has known
Old 01-19-2012, 04:34 AM
Youngling

Quote:
Looks like we're all right then.
I wanna live where this guy lives...

Old 01-21-2012, 04:44 PM
Elder

greatwolf will become famous soon enoughgreatwolf will become famous soon enough
Default Why Galad and Berelain?

My apologies for this but I hope noone will mind too much if I ask this here : Why is the pattern putting Galad and Berelain together? I ask because of possible political ramifications.

Berelain is a descendant of Hawkwing. By rights, she may have as strong a claim to the throne as Tuon, even if she can't enforce her claim. But if she marries Galad, who has claim to both the throne of andor and Cairhien, she would have a stake in these two nations that Tuon would have to acknowledge one way or another.

If Tuon kills Berelain, it ends one problem brings up others such as loss of face and the possibility of Hawkwing's line becoming extinct if Tuon dies before she has any children.

If she doesn't kill the wench, she can't sit back and watch one of the blood (no family) being mocked because it would reflect on her. Badly! by right of birth, Berelain can be considered probably second to Tuon now in seanchan heirachy.

Attacking lands belonging to Berelain would be frowned on because it would no longer be seen as part of the war to reclaim lost lands.

But I'm going to far with this, I don't recall Tylee mentioning Berelain in her report. Thoughts?
Old 01-21-2012, 05:37 PM
Hero: The Prophet of Moiraine

Seeker has a reputation beyond reputeSeeker has a reputation beyond reputeSeeker has a reputation beyond reputeSeeker has a reputation beyond reputeSeeker has a reputation beyond reputeSeeker has a reputation beyond reputeSeeker has a reputation beyond reputeSeeker has a reputation beyond reputeSeeker has a reputation beyond reputeSeeker has a reputation beyond reputeSeeker has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatwolf View Post
My apologies for this but I hope noone will mind too much if I ask this here : Why is the pattern putting Galad and Berelain together? I ask because of possible political ramifications.

Berelain is a descendant of Hawkwing. By rights, she may have as strong a claim to the throne as Tuon, even if she can't enforce her claim. But if she marries Galad, who has claim to both the throne of andor and Cairhien, she would have a stake in these two nations that Tuon would have to acknowledge one way or another.

If Tuon kills Berelain, it ends one problem brings up others such as loss of face and the possibility of Hawkwing's line becoming extinct if Tuon dies before she has any children.

If she doesn't kill the wench, she can't sit back and watch one of the blood (no family) being mocked because it would reflect on her. Badly! by right of birth, Berelain can be considered probably second to Tuon now in seanchan heirachy.

Attacking lands belonging to Berelain would be frowned on because it would no longer be seen as part of the war to reclaim lost lands.

But I'm going to far with this, I don't recall Tylee mentioning Berelain in her report. Thoughts?
A better question might be "Why was RJ foolish enough to allow the Pattern to have any influence on love stories?"
If his bride didn't like it, St. Peter wouldn't mind.

Well, now I lie here so out of breath and... over opiated.
Maybe I couldn't catch up no, but maybe she could have waited.
Old 01-21-2012, 07:12 PM
Elder

David Selig is a glorious beacon of lightDavid Selig is a glorious beacon of lightDavid Selig is a glorious beacon of lightDavid Selig is a glorious beacon of lightDavid Selig is a glorious beacon of lightDavid Selig is a glorious beacon of lightDavid Selig is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatwolf View Post
My apologies for this but I hope noone will mind too much if I ask this here : Why is the pattern putting Galad and Berelain together?
They are the hottest persons alive (Lanfear's old body is gone). Is that not a good enough reason? Think of their children. The Pattern wants to raise the beauty standards in Randland.
Old 01-21-2012, 07:45 PM
Elder

The Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
fuck yes
Old 01-21-2012, 07:47 PM
Youngling

Fin will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to Fin

hawkwings blood mixes with the kin of the dragon reborn
Old 01-21-2012, 08:28 PM
Youngling

maleshub is a jewel in the roughmaleshub is a jewel in the roughmaleshub is a jewel in the rough

Galad Damodred might end up Elayne's Steward in Cairhien. And so, Berelain's marriage would give Mayne access to the strongest nation bordering Tear; and thus might quench Tear's hunger to annex Mayne.

That was on the political front; but on a much less simple plane, Galad is Berelain's reward for being faithful to Rand and Perrin. Seeing beyond her "Perrin attempt," she has been one of the few people who have been genuinely loyal to Rand ..... like Rhuarc, Dobraine, Bashere, et. al.
Old 01-21-2012, 08:34 PM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by maleshub View Post
Galad Damodred might end up Elayne's Steward in Cairhien. And so, Berelain's marriage would give Mayne access to the strongest nation bordering Tear; and thus might quench Tear's hunger to annex Mayne.

That was on the political front; but on a much less simple plane, Galad is Berelain's reward for being faithful to Rand and Perrin. Seeing beyond her "Perrin attempt," she has been one of the few people who have been genuinely loyal to Rand ..... like Rhuarc, Dobraine, Bashere, et. al.
Considering the stupid way Faile acted towards Berelain in the Stone, the "Perrin attempt" is exactly what she [Faile] deserved.

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Theoryland: Just Some Crazy In A Pot
Old 01-21-2012, 09:30 PM
Youngling

suttree has a brilliant futuresuttree has a brilliant futuresuttree has a brilliant futuresuttree has a brilliant futuresuttree has a brilliant futuresuttree has a brilliant futuresuttree has a brilliant futuresuttree has a brilliant futuresuttree has a brilliant futuresuttree has a brilliant futuresuttree has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fin View Post
hawkwings blood mixes with the kin of the dragon reborn
Except for that little fact that Berelain in all likelihood has not a drop of Hawkwing's blood in her. It was a scam that Mayene proposed and is not taken seriously outside of their borders.
"Waves are the ultimate illusion. They come out of nowhere, instantaneously materialize, and just as quickly they break and vanish. Chasing after such fleeting mirages is a complete wast of time. That is what I choose to do with my life." - Miki Dora
Old 01-21-2012, 09:38 PM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Terez

Um, no, it's not a scam. Her family is most likely descended from Hawkwing via the daughter that he sent to Shara.
Old 01-21-2012, 09:47 PM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terez View Post
Um, no, it's not a scam. Her family is most likely descended from Hawkwing via the daughter that he sent to Shara.
Exactly.

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Theoryland: Just Some Crazy In A Pot
Old 01-21-2012, 10:00 PM
Youngling

suttree has a brilliant futuresuttree has a brilliant futuresuttree has a brilliant futuresuttree has a brilliant futuresuttree has a brilliant futuresuttree has a brilliant futuresuttree has a brilliant futuresuttree has a brilliant futuresuttree has a brilliant futuresuttree has a brilliant futuresuttree has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terez View Post
Shrug. Realized I read that most recently off of Wot Wiki. Yet another thing they have wrong?

http://wot.wikia.com/wiki/Tyrn_sur_Paendrag_Mashera

Edit: It used to also say the claim was not taken seriously outside of Mayene but I guess it has been edited...still it is odd Tyrn didn't make a claim for the empire if he was legit. The manner in which he showed up at least casts a hint of question on his true identity..
"Waves are the ultimate illusion. They come out of nowhere, instantaneously materialize, and just as quickly they break and vanish. Chasing after such fleeting mirages is a complete wast of time. That is what I choose to do with my life." - Miki Dora

Last edited by suttree; 01-21-2012 at 11:56 PM.
Old 01-21-2012, 10:23 PM
Youngling

maleshub is a jewel in the roughmaleshub is a jewel in the roughmaleshub is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davian93 View Post
Considering the stupid way Faile acted towards Berelain in the Stone, the "Perrin attempt" is exactly what she [Faile] deserved.
Agreed that Faile deserved Berelain; but in the end, Perrin's flaw was Faile; and she ended up winning. And Faile, after her rescue, acknowledged Berelain's contributions to her rescue so much that she threatened her.

One of the grinding themes of WoT is that the savior/rescuer always gets upbraided. How that grates?