art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7611

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > General "Other" Books Discussion > George R. R. Martin
User Name
Password

Old 01-26-2012, 08:37 PM
Youngling

Fin will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to Fin
Default a song of ice and fire

i was looking for something else to bide my time while waiting for amol to come out and i keep hearing reference to this series. Is it worth reading i do understand its a series if im not mistaken. thoughts if not any other fantasy books would be cool too.
Old 01-26-2012, 08:55 PM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fin View Post
i was looking for something else to bide my time while waiting for amol to come out and i keep hearing reference to this series. Is it worth reading i do understand its a series if im not mistaken. thoughts if not any other fantasy books would be cool too.
Yes, yes, a million times yes.

One word of caution: Take your time as he's been writing it since 1996 and he's only completed 5 books in that time. Its a great series...albeit one that is very adult (lots of explicit sex, blood, gore, etc.

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Theoryland: Just Some Crazy In A Pot
Old 01-26-2012, 09:06 PM
Youngling

thats fine i used to read stephen king and was a huge tolkien fan way before all those folks jumped in on it. thats how i got to jordan found eotw at a buddies house read the prologue and went and bought book next day. i was looking up that a sixth book is in the works winds of winter or something like that. i shall have to see this

on a side note there is a tv series with sean bean i think called game of thrones on hbo is this related ?
Old 01-26-2012, 09:10 PM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
thats fine i used to read stephen king and was a huge tolkien fan way before all those folks jumped in on it. thats how i got to jordan found eotw at a buddies house read the prologue and went and bought book next day. i was looking up that a sixth book is in the works winds of winter or something like that. i shall have to see this

on a side note there is a tv series with sean bean i think called game of thrones on hbo is this related ?
Yes, the tv series on HBO is the adaptation of Book 1. Season 2 starts in April and it covers Book 2 or at least a good chunk of book 2. Book 3 is supposedly going to take at least 2 seasons on HBO as its a huge tome of a book.

I'd put GRRM's writing up there as equal to RJ for quality fantasy writing. Its very dark at times but a fantastic read overall.

The HBO series is also very, very well done.

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Old 01-26-2012, 09:20 PM
Youngling

definitely might have to check it out. on a side note i still want to see a silmarillion movie.
Old 01-27-2012, 08:47 AM
Elder

fdsaf3 has a brilliant futurefdsaf3 has a brilliant futurefdsaf3 has a brilliant futurefdsaf3 has a brilliant futurefdsaf3 has a brilliant futurefdsaf3 has a brilliant futurefdsaf3 has a brilliant futurefdsaf3 has a brilliant futurefdsaf3 has a brilliant futurefdsaf3 has a brilliant futurefdsaf3 has a brilliant future

In my very humble opinion, the Ice and Fire series is kind of overrated. They aren't bad books by any stretch of the imagination, but I don't understand the fervent adoration some fans have for the series. It's not traditional fantasy by any stretch of the imagination, which is fine. I have broad tastes. To enjoy these books, you have to really (and I mean really) enjoy political intrigue. For some, it's just not their cup of tea.
Old 01-27-2012, 05:16 PM
Youngling

political intrigue suits me fine i mean theres plenty of it in wot i mean im just looking for a good series period that malazan series mentioned a few threads up looks good too and i know theres a like a bajillion dragonlance novels which i might try i dont know if any are related to the others or just same universe or whatnot
Old 01-27-2012, 06:21 PM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
political intrigue suits me fine i mean theres plenty of it in wot i mean im just looking for a good series period that malazan series mentioned a few threads up looks good too and i know theres a like a bajillion dragonlance novels which i might try i dont know if any are related to the others or just same universe or whatnot
aSoIaF political intrigue>>>WoT political intrigue.

Old 01-28-2012, 01:26 AM
Youngling

finn will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdsaf3 View Post
In my very humble opinion, the Ice and Fire series is kind of overrated. They aren't bad books by any stretch of the imagination, but I don't understand the fervent adoration some fans have for the series. It's not traditional fantasy by any stretch of the imagination, which is fine. I have broad tastes. To enjoy these books, you have to really (and I mean really) enjoy political intrigue. For some, it's just not their cup of tea.
Yes I have to agree though I've only read the first book. The author knows his craft as I finished it without taking any major breaks. The plot however was slow for my tastes and from what I've heard, the series continues at that plodding pace. It's less fantasy, more medieval intrigue & doesn't skip over the gory details.
Old 01-28-2012, 07:27 PM
Youngling

Quote:
Originally Posted by finn View Post
Yes I have to agree though I've only read the first book. The author knows his craft as I finished it without taking any major breaks. The plot however was slow for my tastes and from what I've heard, the series continues at that plodding pace. It's less fantasy, more medieval intrigue & doesn't skip over the gory details.
so what would be a suitable substitute?
Old 01-28-2012, 08:48 PM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by finn View Post
Its fantasy...its just not High Fantasy (Tolkien) or D & D style fantasy. Its a very well crafted story with fantasy elements that become more pronounced as the books progress.

Old 01-30-2012, 12:25 PM
Youngling

finn will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Depends on what does suit your tastes. If you want a series that kills its characters, I had a better time with Malazan Book of the Fallen by Steven Erikson but I haven't finished that yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davian93 View Post
Its fantasy...its just not High Fantasy (Tolkien) or D & D style fantasy. Its a very well crafted story with fantasy elements that become more pronounced as the books progress.
Yeah, I expect they would. Like I said, I only read the first one and it felt like a setup for future books in terms of plot and fantasy elements. And isn't this series technically High Fantasy though, being set in an invented world with its extreme summer / winter cycles? My impression was that it relegates its fantasy elements to the background, prologues & climaxes in favor of the more real struggles. A valid approach but not one that necessarily appeals to everyone.
Old 01-31-2012, 05:12 AM
Hero of the Horn

yks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Way of Kings, Brandon Sanderson

There's more fantasy and more action, intrigue amount is similar but the focus is different: Sanderson's intrigue is very.... heist. Mistborn really was a Fantasy Ocean's 11 and while Way of Kings is markedly less focused on the heist element and more on political intrigue, the overall "feel" is definitely still more in favour of cloak-and-dagger than endless treaties (and weddings gone wrong)

Bonded to JWB

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
-- Winston Churchill
Old 01-31-2012, 07:13 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by yks 6nnetu hing View Post
Way of Kings, Brandon Sanderson

There's more fantasy and more action, intrigue amount is similar but the focus is different: Sanderson's intrigue is very.... heist. Mistborn really was a Fantasy Ocean's 11 and while Way of Kings is markedly less focused on the heist element and more on political intrigue, the overall "feel" is definitely still more in favour of cloak-and-dagger than endless treaties (and weddings gone wrong)
To be fair, the first 400-500 pages of Way of Kings was pretty boring as he was just giving backstory. The final third of the book was much faster paced IMHO.

Old 01-31-2012, 07:47 AM
Hero of the Horn

yks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
To be fair, the first 400-500 pages of Way of Kings was pretty boring as he was just giving backstory. The final third of the book was much faster paced IMHO.
um... I thought it all went very pacy, particularly compared to GRRiM or Shithead Eriksson who just draaaaaag and plod around with their laden language.

Don't get me wrong, I actually very much like GRRM's writing style, it's just sometimes so heavy it's almost boring. and I do prefer a very well-written book (such as anything coming from GRRM, Jordan, Hobb or Tolkien) to one with serious language issues... But I also want to be able to get excited about a book and I never really did with aSoIaF as I get with Sanderson's books. Though, I suppose that's largely a question of individual taste.

I got an emotional response for the Chainmaster series of Horrible Plotholes but that's not a positive reaction at all. Mainly because I (as reader) hate being treated like I'm not good enough to even lay eyes on His Idiocy's Magnificent Piece of Writing and it's to be expected that the reader Doesn't Understand large chunks of the story.

Bonded to JWB

-- Winston Churchill
Old 01-31-2012, 09:14 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
I got an emotional response for the Chainmaster series of Horrible Plotholes but that's not a positive reaction at all. Mainly because I (as reader) hate being treated like I'm not good enough to even lay eyes on His Idiocy's Magnificent Piece of Writing and it's to be expected that the reader Doesn't Understand large chunks of the story.
??

As for the rest, I like it too but it was a lot of background information that doesnt really become clear to the final third of the book...particularly the back story for the armor/swords, etc. I still need to do a reread but that's what I recall of it. He's setting up a huge epic though so its to be expected.

Old 01-31-2012, 11:46 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
??
Esiksson. House of chains and dogs in swords bs. I dunno, persaps i made a fatal mistake by reading his foreword full of egotistic and manic praise for himself that tainted my entire experience of the actual books. Of which, granted, i haven't read all but rather gave up when it became clear it's not my cup of tea.

Bonded to JWB

-- Winston Churchill
Old 01-31-2012, 11:54 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by yks 6nnetu hing View Post
Esiksson. House of chains and dogs in swords bs. I dunno, persaps i made a fatal mistake by reading his foreword full of egotistic and manic praise for himself that tainted my entire experience of the actual books. Of which, granted, i haven't read all but rather gave up when it became clear it's not my cup of tea.
Oh, okay. I tried to read the first book 2-3 times but could never get into it so its still sitting on the shelf collecting dust. I actually own books 2 & 3 of Malazan too but the motivation just isnt there to try reading them again.

Old 02-13-2012, 03:01 PM
Youngling

Heinz will become famous soon enoughHeinz will become famous soon enough

I have to say, I'm pretty so-so on this series. People are going bonkers over it. Its worth a read, but I doubt I'll ever read them again (I re-read/watch things all the time, so to me its a big deal to not care to read a book again).

I've enjoyed the political intruege quite a bit. To me, its one of the saving graces.

I find I don't care for his style though. Its so broken up, so sporadic, that its really hard to keep an interest in the story. While I like political intruege, it does make for a slower pace, and the broken-ness of the storylines challenges that further.

I have other reasons, but they may hint at spoilers, so I won't give specifics. Short, non-spoiler summary, there are personal tastes that I like which JRRM (author) ignores or gets rid of. Its his story, I'm not trying to say 'Hey, he should conform to MY ideas!' Just saying, it's his choice to write the story that way, and its my choice to like it or not based on that, and I happen to not like it as much.

So yea, worth a read-through. And I am very curious to see the series. Haven't watched it yet.
Old 02-13-2012, 03:36 PM
Youngling

suttree has a brilliant futuresuttree has a brilliant futuresuttree has a brilliant futuresuttree has a brilliant futuresuttree has a brilliant futuresuttree has a brilliant futuresuttree has a brilliant futuresuttree has a brilliant futuresuttree has a brilliant futuresuttree has a brilliant futuresuttree has a brilliant future

I highly recommend it. For me the quality of the writing and the number of mysteries that are central to the main story far overcome some of the complaints people have listed. Too much fantasy to my mind relies on plot gratification to carry the narrative at times. This is most certainly not an issue in aSoIaF.
"Waves are the ultimate illusion. They come out of nowhere, instantaneously materialize, and just as quickly they break and vanish. Chasing after such fleeting mirages is a complete wast of time. That is what I choose to do with my life." - Miki Dora