art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7653

Logged In (1): uausnaughbroo,

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > General "Other" Books Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 02-08-2012, 05:28 PM
Youngling

Tomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant future
Default New book series

I'm looking for a new fantasy or sf series.

Any tips?
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read. (Marx)
Old 02-08-2012, 05:39 PM
Elder

Figbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant future

Well, Discworld, goes without saying.

A Song of Ice and Fire by George R R Martin, if you don't mind starting something which isn't yet finished, nor likely to be anytime soon. The first book is A Game of Thrones.

Iain M Banks writes, in my humble opinion, excellent Sci-Fi, the first of his Culture novels being Consider Phlebas.

Other than that I'm not much use, I don't actually read that much fantasy anymore. There's the Malazan Book of the Fallen series by Steven Eriksson, which I'm manfully ploughing through, one book at a time, although I've got to be honest, it confuses my tiny mind a little I'm nothing if not determined tho, and I do like his characters so I'm sticking with it.
Old 02-08-2012, 05:39 PM
Youngling

eht slat meit has a brilliant futureeht slat meit has a brilliant futureeht slat meit has a brilliant futureeht slat meit has a brilliant futureeht slat meit has a brilliant futureeht slat meit has a brilliant futureeht slat meit has a brilliant futureeht slat meit has a brilliant futureeht slat meit has a brilliant futureeht slat meit has a brilliant futureeht slat meit has a brilliant future

Might help if you've given us an idea of what you've read already? A few come to mind, but well-known series.
Old 02-08-2012, 06:48 PM
Youngling

Tomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant future

I'm looking for something that has strong characters rather than fantastic "scenery".

I'm interested in something written during the last 10 years.

The category of the book is not that important.

I want something not too heavy, since I already am reading other heavy books. At the same time, I don't want childrens lit or YA.
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read. (Marx)
Old 02-08-2012, 08:42 PM
Hero of the Horn

Weird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomp View Post
I'm looking for something that has strong characters rather than fantastic "scenery".

I want something not too heavy, since I already am reading other heavy books. At the same time, I don't want childrens lit or YA.
search David Weber for several (mostly unfinished) series.

Notably the Honor Harrington and Safehold series.

(Now if I could just figure out which questions they go to. )

I met you in a past life. You were wrong then, too.
Old 02-08-2012, 09:18 PM
Youngling

eht slat meit has a brilliant futureeht slat meit has a brilliant futureeht slat meit has a brilliant futureeht slat meit has a brilliant futureeht slat meit has a brilliant futureeht slat meit has a brilliant futureeht slat meit has a brilliant futureeht slat meit has a brilliant futureeht slat meit has a brilliant futureeht slat meit has a brilliant futureeht slat meit has a brilliant future

A couple that immediately come to mind:

AOIAF has already been recommended. Brutal, and somewhat explicit, but good read.

I'll get some flack for Sword of Truth, but it's a decent series if you stop at Faith of the Fallen, so as to avoid the descent into horrific levels of preachiness. The books are fairly episodic, so stopping early on doesn't really effect the reading.

Dresden Files is an excellent series - it starts off as a sort of pulp-noir-fantasy mash about a wizard who performs PI work that works very well for what it is, and starts moving its way towards epic fantasy.

You might enjoy the canon Dragonlance books, though everything outside the main series runs rather juvenile or like a really bad Star Wars franchise.
Old 02-09-2012, 05:00 AM
Youngling

I think I'll give Dresden a try.

Thanks
Old 02-09-2012, 06:50 AM
Youngling

Dajoran has a brilliant futureDajoran has a brilliant futureDajoran has a brilliant futureDajoran has a brilliant futureDajoran has a brilliant futureDajoran has a brilliant futureDajoran has a brilliant futureDajoran has a brilliant futureDajoran has a brilliant futureDajoran has a brilliant futureDajoran has a brilliant future

I'm currently readin N.K. Jemsin's 'Inheritance Trilogy' quite a interesting original story - may not be everyones cup of tea though.

You can always try Trudi Canavan's books if you are in the mood for something light. I find her stories very enjoyable and easy to read through.

For Sci/Fi-ish stuff read anything by China Miéville. The dude is the new Philip K. Dick. I'd recommend 'The City and The City'.

ALSO! I always forget this guy Peter V. Brett. He is two books in to his Demon Trilogy - but very very easy fantasy. Good character development. I think the first book was called the Warded Man (it was the Painted Man over here IIRC)

And of course Mr. Patrick Rothfuss for his Kingkiller Chronicles. I always seem to assume that everyone has read them for some reason. Sometimes it comes across quite Mary Sue'ish (Just because Kvothe can do bloody well anything) but all in all it's an amazing story. It does the Hero's Journey proud. Although, Book Three seems like it won't be out for a few years at least.

"Saighdiúirí, a ullmhú marcra chun pas a fháil ar aghaidh! Ar aghaidh an Gharda Chroí! Ar aghaidh! Chun an tOnórach an Iolar Dearg! An Iolar Dearg!"

beidh mo chlaíomh onóir na marbh.
Old 02-09-2012, 10:08 AM
Hero of the Horn

Ishara has disabled reputation
Send a message via MSN to Ishara

Le sigh.

Please consider Guy Gavriel Kay. He writes singles, duology or trilogy books, and there are all, bar none, phenomenal.

The Fionavar Tapestry
If you want pure High Fantasy with beautiful world building and truly amazing characters, then the Fionavar Tapestry will be your best bet. They are, in order: The Summer Tree, The Wandering Fire, and The Longest Road.

The trilogy is set firmly and consciously in the Tolkien tradition of High Fantasy. GGK has said that one of his motives for writing it was to show that the 'matter' of High Fantasy was deep enough to be used in various original ways, and that the genre did not have to become debased into nothing but pale Tolkien imitations. The Tapestry tells the tale of five young Canadians who are taken to Fionavar, the first of all worlds, by Loren Silvercloak, a mage of that world. Ostensibly invited to come as guests of the court for a celebration of the anniversary of the monarch's ascension to the throne, all five students quickly find that their roles in Fionavar are far more complex than they originally expected.

His other books are all a genre mix of historical fiction with a twist of fantasy. They take place in a world that is similar (but not identical) to ours. They all cover times in our history that will be familiar with new perspectives and events, with characters loosely based on real figures in history with a rich supporting cast of other characters.

Straigh from his website, because frankly, they say it better than I ever could:

Tigana
Tigana is set in the 'Peninsula of the Palm' a land evocative of Italy, in a world with two moons. Two sorcerors, one a petty lordling from Barbadior, the other the king of Ygrath, have come to the Peninsula from overseas, intent on conquest. Brandin, King of Ygrath, wants to carve out a realm for his beloved younger son, Stevan. Having conquered three of the nine provinces of the Palm, he sends Stevan to subjugate the next province whilst he faces Alberico, the other conqueror. Stevan is killed in battle by the people of that last province. Brandin, in bitterest grief, and in revenge against the people who killed his son, lays a curse on that province. After sweeping down and destroying the remnants of their army, burning their books and destroying their architecture and statuary, he makes it so that no one not born in that province can even hear its name. Tigana is a story of the struggle for identity and freedom in the face of brutal oppression.

A Song for Arbonne
A Song for Arbonne tells a tale of art, courtly love and religious warfare inspired by medieval France and the Albigensian Crusade. It explores the root stock of nineteenth century historical romance, and crossed with late twentieth century cynicism about the politics of art, sexuality, and religion.

The Lions of Al-Rassan
The Lions of Al-Rassan is a thinly disguised Al-Andalus - the book speaks powerfully and poetically of the conflict and tragedy of a fragmenting world inspired by the history of reconquista Spain. The three peoples that inhabit Al-Rassan and its neighbour Esperana -Asharites, Jaddites and Kindath- are clear parallels of Moors, Christians and Jews. People somewhat familiar with Spanish history might realise that Rodrigo Belmonte is inspired by the legendary figure of El Cid, but they may not realise that other direct historical parallels also exist. For example, there was a Jewish chancellor to a Moorish King in one of the city states, Granada, whose name was Shmuel HaNagid (Samuel the Prince). There was also an Ibn Ammar.

The Sarantine Mosaic
]The Sarantine Mosaic is inspired by 6th century Byzantium. Touching especially on the complicated political intrigue of the court of Justinian and Theodora and the swell and pomp of religion and chariot racing, this book follows an erstwhile mosaicist from his home in the Old City to a new life in the New City of Sarantium. Comprised of Sailing to Sarantium, and Lord of Emperors.

The Last Light of the Sun
The Last Light of the Sun, brilliantly evoking the Viking, Anglo-Saxon and Celtic cultures of a turbulent age. There is nothing soft or silken about the north. The lives of men and women are as challenging as the climate and lands in which they dwell. For generations, the Erlings of Vinmark have taken their dragon-prowed ships across the seas, raiding the lands of the Cyngael and Anglcyn peoples, leaving fire and death behind. But times change, even in the north, and in a tale woven with consummate artistry, people of all three cultures find the threads of their lives unexpectedly brought together...

Bern Thorkellson, punished for his father's sins, commits an act of vengeance and desperation that brings him face-to-face, across the sea, with a past he's been trying to leave behind.

In the Anglcyn lands of King Aeldred, the shrewd king, battling inner demons all the while, shores up his defenses with alliances and diplomacy-and with swords and arrows-while his exceptional, unpredictable sons and daughters pursue their own desires when battle comes and darkness falls in the woods.

And in the valleys and shrouded hills of the Cyngael, whose voices carry music even as they feud and raid amongst each other, violence and love become deeply interwoven when the dragon ships come and Alun ab Owyn, chasing an enemy in the night, glimpses strange lights gleaming above forest pools.

Ysabel
Provence, in the south of France, is a part of the world that has been—and continues to be—called a paradise. But one of the lessons that history teaches is that paradise is coveted and fought over. Successive waves of invaders have claimed—or tried to claim—those vineyards, rivers, olive groves, and hills.

In Ysabel, this duality—of exquisite beauty and violent history—is explored in a work that marks a departure from Kay's historical fantasies set in various analogues of the past.

Ysabel takes place in the world of today: in a modern springtime, in and around the celebrated city of Aix-en-Provence near Marseilles. Dangerous, mythic figures from the Celtic and Roman conflicts of the past erupt into the present, claiming and changing lives.

The protagonist is Ned Marriner, the fifteen year-old son of a well-known photographer. Ned has accompanied his father, Edward Marriner, and a team of assistants to Provence for a six week "shoot." Please do NOT read this without having first read at minimum, the Fionavar Tapestry. Also, YA.

Under Heaven
Under Heaven takes place in a world inspired by the glory and power of Tang Dynasty China in the 8th century, a world in which history and the fantastic meld into something both memorable and emotionally compelling.

In the novel, Shen Tai is the son of a general who led the forces of imperial Kitai in the empire's last great war against its western enemies, twenty years before. Forty thousand men, on both sides, were slain by a remote mountain lake. General Shen Gao himself has died recently, having spoken to his son in later years about his sadness in the matter of this terrible battle.

To honour his father's memory, Tai spends two years in official mourning alone at the battle site by the blue waters of Kuala Nor. Each day he digs graves in hard ground to bury the bones of the dead. At night he can hear the ghosts moan and stir, terrifying voices of anger and lament. Sometimes he realizes that a given voice has ceased its crying, and he knows that is one he has laid to rest.

The dead by the lake are equally Kitan and their Taguran foes; there is no way to tell the bones apart, and he buries them all with honour.

It is during a routine supply visit led by a Taguran officer who has reluctantly come to befriend him that Tai learns that others, much more powerful, have taken note of his vigil. The White Jade Princess Cheng-wan, 17th daughter of the Emperor of Kitai, presents him with two hundred and fifty Sardian horses. They are being given in royal recognition of his courage and piety, and the honour he has done the dead.

You gave a man one of the famed Sardian horses to reward him greatly. You gave him four or five to exalt him above his fellows, propel him towards rank, and earn him jealousy, possibly mortal jealousy. Two hundred and fifty is an unthinkable gift, a gift to overwhelm an emperor.
Tai is in deep waters. He needs to get himself back to court and his own emperor, alive. Riding the first of the Sardian horses, and bringing news of the rest, he starts east towards the glittering, dangerous capital of Kitai, and the Ta-Ming Palace - and gathers his wits for a return from solitude by a mountain lake to his own forever-altered life.

Oh, please do try them...

Rand: You are an insensitive bastard!!!
Mat: And you ruined another hat!

It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by lightening. -- Calvin

"Gee, I wish I could do magic! Maybe I'll try!" --SDog

Official Vixen of Theoryland and Theoryland Siren

Grain Goddess, the Rood Inverse, the Mad Glomper
Old 02-09-2012, 10:22 AM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

They are quite good.

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Theoryland: Just Some Crazy In A Pot
Old 02-09-2012, 02:08 PM
Elder

Figbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant future

Quote:

*scratches Dune from the list*

Quote:
I think I'll give Dresden a try.

Thanks
Me too. Keep hearing you people talk about it. Gonna have to buy myself a Kindle tho, can't keep making a 40 mile round trip to the bookshop, which is what it is since my local one closed down. I'm still grieving over that

Can anyone tell me about The Hunger Games? I saw Ana mention it recently and I know nothing about it, and I don't like to look on Wiki in case of inadvertant spoilers.
Old 02-09-2012, 03:02 PM
Hero of the Horn

WinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to WinespringBrother

2nded about Peter Brett (though I believe that the Demon series will be 5 books, not 3) and Tigana (haven't read Kay's other books yet) and the Kingkiller Chronicles.

Hunger Games is ok, not great, YA adventures.

Just started reading Shadow Ops: Control Point by Myke Cole, which is the first book in a series, pretty good so far, magic in a military setting.

"Oh, y'all [Theorylanders] are awesome with awesome sauce, but you ask a lot of tricky questions. I had to watch myself with you guys." - Maria

"I need to RAFO more things, I'm not being very Robert Jordan..." - Brandon
Old 02-09-2012, 04:03 PM
Youngling

Dajoran has a brilliant futureDajoran has a brilliant futureDajoran has a brilliant futureDajoran has a brilliant futureDajoran has a brilliant futureDajoran has a brilliant futureDajoran has a brilliant futureDajoran has a brilliant futureDajoran has a brilliant futureDajoran has a brilliant futureDajoran has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinespringBrother View Post
2nded about Peter Brett (though I believe that the Demon series will be 5 books, not 3)
Awesome!!! Today has been packed with good news for me

Everything's coming up Milhouse!

"Saighdiúirí, a ullmhú marcra chun pas a fháil ar aghaidh! Ar aghaidh an Gharda Chroí! Ar aghaidh! Chun an tOnórach an Iolar Dearg! An Iolar Dearg!"

beidh mo chlaíomh onóir na marbh.
Old 02-10-2012, 03:59 AM
Hero of the Horn

yks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond repute

2nded Trudy Canavan: they're light to read and current.

If you don't mind a bit heftier, on the surface "girly" stuff, I'd recommend Diana Gabaldon's "Outlander" series. Really excellent character development and it's more historic fiction than Fantasy (really, the only Fantasy element in there is time travel). The few guys I know who have tried reading it are HOOKED - srsly, I loaned my copies to a singer in Dai's band and she got so hooked, her boyfriend decided to give them a try and now he's even more addicted than her.

GGK is excellent but a bit depressing. You could try Umberto Eco's "Baudolino"- I found it hilarious and deep at the same time. same with "Foucault's Pendulum". Though they're a bit hard to read, I guarantee you'll remember the books for years afterwards! Particularly "Foucault's Pendulum" is a great read for everyone who loves or hates conspiracy theories.

I'm assuming you've already read the Mistborn trilogy? if not, you should.

another really cool quirky light read with cool characters is Jonathan Safran Foer's "Everything is Illuminated". It's a single book though.

Bonded to JWB

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
-- Winston Churchill
Old 02-10-2012, 08:15 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figbiscuit View Post
Can anyone tell me about The Hunger Games? I saw Ana mention it recently and I know nothing about it, and I don't like to look on Wiki in case of inadvertant spoilers.
Okay first off, the Hunger Games were THE BEST books I read in 2010 - bar NONE. Fast paced, new ideas, hard topics, and an ending that did not succumb to typical YA ideals (think Twilight). They're so short it's worth your time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yks 6nnetu hing View Post
If you don't mind a bit heftier, on the surface "girly" stuff, I'd recommend Diana Gabaldon's "Outlander" series. Really excellent character development and it's more historic fiction than Fantasy (really, the only Fantasy element in there is time travel). The few guys I know who have tried reading it are HOOKED - srsly, I loaned my copies to a singer in Dai's band and she got so hooked, her boyfriend decided to give them a try and now he's even more addicted than her.

GGK is excellent but a bit depressing.
I absolutely second yks' suggestion regarding Diana Gabaldon. Currently there are 7 hefty books in the main series, and her main characters are the sort that you fall inlove with immediately and STAY there forever. She also has a wonderful secondary series of almost-but-not-quite independent short stories regarding a secondary character in the main series (following me?), but I would strongly encourage you to read at least the first 5 Outlander books first before you go there. There are 4 main novellas, one of which is a collection of 3 shorter stories, and she's always got short stories in bigger collections (like Legends 2, I think). Now, she's verbose, so even these novellas are longer than your average book. Shorter than New Spring, but not short enough that you'll finish right away.

The upside to Gabaldon is that she's not done yet - she's still writing books for the main series (there's an 8th book coming out hopefully in 2013), and likes to take side breaks and work on multiple projects at once, so if she's not working on Jamie and Claire, you know she's working on Lord John. You also know that she'll finish. She's invested and loves her charecters.

As for the accusation that GGK is depressing...well, he doesn't suffer from the same predilictions of RJ or BS. His charcters do die at appropraite moments, even (expecially) the ones you love. There is always a price for power in his books, it's a theme he particularly enjoys exploring. They're certainly not rompy, but I don't know that I would call them depressing...

It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by lightening. -- Calvin

Old 02-10-2012, 08:31 AM
Hero of the Horn

yks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishara View Post
As for the accusation that GGK is depressing...well, he doesn't suffer from the same predilictions of RJ or BS. His charcters do die at appropraite moments, even (expecially) the ones you love. There is always a price for power in his books, it's a theme he particularly enjoys exploring. They're certainly not rompy, but I don't know that I would call them depressing...
Tigana was the saddest book I've ever read. ever. Not even the ending, just that... most people who'll read it won't understand it in the fullness of of its pain, and that in and of itself just adds on to the pain of the actual plot/theme of the book.

Granted, I haven't read the court documents from Auschwitz and I haven't yet gotten around to Dr. Zhivago or Sophie's Choice.

Besides, he did ask for a light read...

Bonded to JWB

-- Winston Churchill
Old 02-10-2012, 08:35 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by yks 6nnetu hing View Post
Tigana was the saddest book I've ever read. ever. Not even the ending, just that... most people who'll read it won't understand it in the fullness of of its pain, and that in and of itself just adds on to the pain of the actual plot/theme of the book.

Granted, I haven't read the court documents from Auschwitz and I haven't yet gotten around to Dr. Zhivago or Sophie's Choice.

Besides, he did ask for a light read...
LOL. You're right, of course you are. But, the ending rectifies some of it (poignantly, I have to admit)... I wonder honestly, if you're sensitive to nuances that I haven't considered given your own personal historical context (aka where you grew up and when). GGK did admit to being twigged to the idea when he saw 2 pictures of Russian revolutionaries, 1 with 12 people and 1 with 10. 2 people had essentially been erased from history....(or, millions...)

Old 02-10-2012, 09:03 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishara View Post
LOL. You're right, of course you are. But, the ending rectifies some of it (poignantly, I have to admit)... I wonder honestly, if you're sensitive to nuances that I haven't considered given your own personal historical context (aka where you grew up and when). GGK did admit to being twigged to the idea when he saw 2 pictures of Russian revolutionaries, 1 with 12 people and 1 with 10. 2 people had essentially been erased from history....(or, millions...)
I am.

the end... see, it's not the end, really - and that's the heartwrenchingly sad part. You see that when you look at what's been happening in Russia since the early '90s, first the euphoric hope and freedom, then the ever-increasing fear of instability, resulting in the return of oppression. Not in all parts of the old USSR, true, but in the vast majority: Russia, Kazakhstan, Turkmenistan, Tajikistan, Azerbaijan & Armenia (though, to a lesser extent), Ukraine, Belarus, Moldova, Kyryzstan... Even out of the 4 the ones that are considered "free" now, Latvia and Georgia have serious problems with freedom of speech, freedom of press and corruption. Which makes only 2 countries of the old USSR that have "made it": Lithuania and Estonia, and let me tell you, even those have inner demons to battle. Still. 21 years after the beast was slain.

You can't turn time back, the pain that was caused doesn't disappear just because the entity that caused it ceases to exist. Particularly if a large part of that pain consisted of thoroughly brainwashing the populace.

Bonded to JWB

-- Winston Churchill
Old 02-10-2012, 11:07 AM
Youngling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figbiscuit View Post
*scratches Dune from the list*
I'm still grieving over that
Get 'em from your local library? I'm in a small town, but we're on an internet loan system, which is common enough these days, and you can pretty much get -anything-.

Quote:
iirc, the writing level is somewhere between juvenile and adult fiction, but it certainly is an entertaining series. Hmmm, how to put it - think in terms of the 'Battle Royale' movie if you've ever seen that or, if not, in terms of a reality show where kids (12-18) have to kill each other off to win. The society is dystopian in nature, and the Games are a means of controlling society. Not as heavy on the violence as you might expect from such a theme, and the books do a slow build into some entertaining plot twists and MOAs.
Old 02-10-2012, 11:39 AM
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by eht slat meit View Post
Get 'em from your local library? I'm in a small town, but we're on an internet loan system, which is common enough these days, and you can pretty much get -anything-.

iirc, the writing level is somewhere between juvenile and adult fiction, but it certainly is an entertaining series. Hmmm, how to put it - think in terms of the 'Battle Royale' movie if you've ever seen that or, if not, in terms of a reality show where kids (12-18) have to kill each other off to win. The society is dystopian in nature, and the Games are a means of controlling society. Not as heavy on the violence as you might expect from such a theme, and the books do a slow build into some entertaining plot twists and MOAs.
I admit, I did not think of the library. I shall try and check it out. Better make the most of it whilst it still exists, our lovely ConDem government seems to be slashing funding to libraries, enforcing closures left, right & centre. Even more reason for me to get in there.

And The Hunger Games sounds quite dark. Maybe I will try it tho, I do like a good dark theme. Thanks