art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7653

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > General "Other" Books Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 02-14-2012, 08:24 PM
Youngling

Fin will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to Fin
Default So I bought two books today

Mistborn the Final Empire and Glen Cook's Black Company. Anyone out here read any of glen cook's books? He seems to have quite a few out there. The only thing about Mistborn so far i noticed is that it seems to have a quick learning curve. Its not bad but a glossary would help. Also i noticed several books by a woman Mercedes Lackey i want to say. Has anyone read anything from her and if so what are your thoughts. Im really just looking into books that are parts of series.

Last edited by Fin; 02-14-2012 at 08:28 PM.
Old 02-15-2012, 08:49 AM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

I got Black Company as a gift but have yet to read it.

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Theoryland: Just Some Crazy In A Pot
Old 02-15-2012, 11:44 AM
Hero of the Horn

SauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to SauceyBlueConfetti

I have Black Company also, it is sitting underneath GRRM and above Way of Kings. I need to find time to read my new stuff again. (see that is a joke, cuz this stuff isn't even NEW anymore)
Yeah. Murderous Saucey. My superhero name
I am Detroit. You REALLY wanna call me wimpy?
Haphazardly Spell & Fact Checked Since June 2001
Old 02-15-2012, 01:55 PM
Elder

Figbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by SauceyBlueConfetti View Post
I have Black Company also, it is sitting underneath GRRM and above Way of Kings. I need to find time to read my new stuff again. (see that is a joke, cuz this stuff isn't even NEW anymore)
Them damn babies!
Old 02-25-2012, 06:56 PM
Youngling

I am now about half way finished with Final Empire and already plan on buying Well of Ascension. I really like this book.
Old 02-25-2012, 10:55 PM
Youngling

LadyFiona is just really niceLadyFiona is just really niceLadyFiona is just really niceLadyFiona is just really niceLadyFiona is just really nice
Send a message via Skype™ to LadyFiona

I have read some Mercedes Lackey, though mostly only books she co-wrote with another author. My husband has always told me he doesn't like her because he tried to read one of her books where the main characters were non-humans--cat people or some such.

The first trilogy she wrote with James Mallory, The Obsidian Trilogy, was quite good and I enjoyed it. The first book is "The Outstretched Shadow"

She also wrote a book with Andre Norton called "Elvenbane" that I loved so much I think I read it 3 times when I was a teenager until the book literally fell apart. I don't know if I would love it as much now...I'll have to try it again someday and find out. They wrote two more books after it, but they were spaced incredibly far apart, so much so that I had forgotten there were supposed to be more books after the first--as it is satisfying as a stand alone novel--and never got around to reading them.

I also read one of her fairy tale books, "Fairy Godmother". It was entertaining, but is definitely light reading, and heavy on the harlequin-ish romance.

"Daddy, do bad people go to St. Louis?"
~Annabel, 5 years old
Old 02-29-2012, 07:20 PM
Youngling

I finished Final Empire last night and picked up Well of Ascension today.
Old 03-01-2012, 08:35 AM
Elder

Figbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant future

What did you think? I am staying away from BS's work until he's finished WoT, as I don't want to be swayed into wondering who wrote which bit (any more than it's already obvious), but I think I may pick it up after.
Old 03-01-2012, 06:20 PM
Youngling

Once you figure out a few key points in the series its much easier to follow the book. IMO it picks up right quick at Chapter 3.
Old 03-02-2012, 12:37 PM
Elder

Cool, cheers