art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7611

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > Forum Archives > Archived - WoT Discussion Boards > Archived: General Wheel of Time Discussion - 05/2008 - 03/2012
User Name
Password

Old 02-16-2012, 11:29 AM
Youngling

Abbaaddon will become famous soon enough
Default Ta'veren

My question here is how does the ta'veren effect works ? Does it go stronger as the times passez ?

Let me precise a little bit. In tGS, evil Rand told Cadsuane that maybe he could influence the pattern enough to make her heart stop. It sounded as his evil-madness, but the event in the White Tower, with Jesus-Rand made me believe that he could've broken the shield smowhat thanks to his ta'veren ability.
Then, what could he do if he had the slightest influence on it ? And, more important IMO, if the effect strenghtens with the time, will the group lead by Egwene to try to convince Rand not to break the Seals won't be able to say anything if Perrin, Mat and Rand stand together. Min's viewings tend to say that they are stronger when together, and as they are three powerful Ta'veren, the coul move a hell lot in the pattern.
Maybe that's one of the reasons why they have not been stuck together for long in the previous books.

I hope I was clear enough for you to see where I'm going, if not, feel free to ask =)
Old 02-16-2012, 11:39 AM
Youngling

eht slat meit has a brilliant futureeht slat meit has a brilliant futureeht slat meit has a brilliant futureeht slat meit has a brilliant futureeht slat meit has a brilliant futureeht slat meit has a brilliant futureeht slat meit has a brilliant futureeht slat meit has a brilliant futureeht slat meit has a brilliant futureeht slat meit has a brilliant futureeht slat meit has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbaaddon View Post
Then, what could he do if he had the slightest influence on it ? And, more important IMO, if the effect strenghtens with the time, will the group lead by Egwene to try to convince Rand not to break the Seals won't be able to say anything if Perrin, Mat and Rand stand together. Min's viewings tend to say that they are stronger when together, and as they are three powerful Ta'veren, the coul move a hell lot in the pattern.
I'm inclined to believe that the KC has the answer to this one, that this is part of his pre-VoG madness taking over.

Master of the lightnings, rider on the storm,
wearer of a crown of swords, spinner out of fate.
Who thinks he turns the Wheel of Time,
may learn the truth too late.

The fated duration of lives is the province of the Pattern, that which is spun out, and ta'veren shapes that Pattern. If he's in control of his ta'veren nature, which I don't believe, that makes him the next best thing to the Creator.

So, while he might be able to simply incinerate Cadsuane where she stands, that's a far cry from making the Pattern do it for him.
Old 02-16-2012, 12:01 PM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

I think that it is quite possible that he could have killed Cadsuane in such a way. I also think that there would have been some unanticipated consequences to it.
Look at his "I am ta'veren" spree in aCoS. In a short time, he got both the Sea Folk and the Cairhienin and Tairen rebels to follow him. He also got Fain to stick a knife into his side.

So he could probably make the Pattern do what he wanted. What else it would do as a reaction is anyone's guess, though.
Old 02-16-2012, 12:03 PM
Youngling

Well, how do you explain what happened in the Tower ? He seemed rather confident with breaking the seals easily if need be. And I believe the effect is emphasized when Mat and Perrin are with him.
Old 02-16-2012, 12:09 PM
Youngling

eht slat meit has a brilliant futureeht slat meit has a brilliant futureeht slat meit has a brilliant futureeht slat meit has a brilliant futureeht slat meit has a brilliant futureeht slat meit has a brilliant futureeht slat meit has a brilliant futureeht slat meit has a brilliant futureeht slat meit has a brilliant futureeht slat meit has a brilliant futureeht slat meit has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbaaddon View Post
Well, how do you explain what happened in the Tower ? He seemed rather confident with breaking the seals easily if need be. And I believe the effect is emphasized when Mat and Perrin are with him.
I don't see letting that ta'veren effect work for him as being a form of control. In gaming terms, it's a passive effect that operates under its own set of rules. If the ta'veren effect is a product of the Pattern, maintaining a certain balance, then it can do wonders for him simply by moving himself somewhere that it can work for him.

Ta'veren can't do anything for him from the Seafolk unless he actually spends some time interacting with them and letting it work, because there is a radius.
Old 02-16-2012, 12:11 PM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

I think that he will achieve what he sets out to do. I also think there will be some rather big and probably startling side effects.

But based on what we've read, I do not think that breaking the Seals requires any kind of ta'veren power. All it would take is dropping them on your toes, or somewhere else.

In the Tower, I think that Rand could have broken free, if that had been necessary. But he might have left a couple of hundred stilled AS behind, which would have been a bit of a public relations disaster.
Old 02-16-2012, 12:14 PM
Elder

Zombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Zombie Sammael

There's no such thing as ta'veren. Silly backwards Oathbreakers...

Master of the lightnings, rider on the storm,
wearer of a crown of swords, spinner out of fate.
Who thinks he turns the Wheel of Time,
may learn the truth too late.

Light is held before the maw of the infinite void, and all that he is can be seized.

The one who Death has known
Old 02-16-2012, 12:15 PM
Youngling

My bad, I meant the shields. Sorry, I am angry against myself for this mistake.
Old 02-16-2012, 12:55 PM
Hero of the Horn

WinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to WinespringBrother

Ta'veren are control devices for the Wheel to keep the Pattern from varying too greatly in its weavings from turning to turning. Presumably, stronger Ta'veren are needed when the variations in the weavings threaten to be too great.

Quote:
Great Hunt CHAPTER: 44 - Five Will Ride Forth
"The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills," Verin said placidly. "With ta'veren, what happens is what was meant to happen. It may be the Pattern demanded these extra days. The Pattern puts everything in its place precisely, and when we try to alter it, especially if ta'veren are involved, the weaving changes to put us back into the Pattern as we were meant to be." There was an uneasy silence that she did not seem to notice; she sketched on idly with the stick. "Now, however, I think perhaps we should make plans. The Pattern has brought us to Falme at last. The Horn of Valere has been taken to Falme."

"Oh, y'all [Theorylanders] are awesome with awesome sauce, but you ask a lot of tricky questions. I had to watch myself with you guys." - Maria

"I need to RAFO more things, I'm not being very Robert Jordan..." - Brandon
Old 02-16-2012, 03:47 PM
Elder

Lupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud of

I believe with the human things - stopping hearts and breaking shields - he would be able to do so, but not by manipulating threads or anything. I'm thinking more on a suggestion-going-on-compulsion thread.
With things without sentience, things that cannot be convince that they should stop their heart or that their flows are meaningless...
It's something I have never actually thought about before; I was startled to find I believed the above.

"Yeah, but obviously the Great Serpent doesn't have an actual corpse which would be of any help in strangling Rand al'Thor; for a start, if there was an actual serpent encircling the world, it would be monumentally huge, and trying to strangle someone with it would lead more to a sort of crushing." - Zombie Sammael

Selective Necrophiliac
Old 02-16-2012, 03:58 PM
Elder

The Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupusdeusest View Post
With things without sentience, things that cannot be convince that they should stop their heart or that their flows are meaningless...
Belief and order give strength (or weakness, as the case may be).

From AGS 33:
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Conversation with the Dragon
“Stop,” Rand said softly. “Do you believe that I can kill you?”
The boy fell silent and—though Nynaeve wouldn’t have thought it possible—his blue eyes opened wider.
“Do you believe that if I simply said the word,” Rand continued in his eerie, quiet voice, “your heart would stop beating? I am the Dragon Reborn. Do you believe that I can take your life, or your soul itself, if I so much as will it to happen?”

Last edited by The Unreasoner; 02-16-2012 at 04:03 PM.
Old 02-16-2012, 04:12 PM
Youngling

Aulis Vaara has a spectacular aura aboutAulis Vaara has a spectacular aura aboutAulis Vaara has a spectacular aura about

I think there's a big difference between the Cadsuane incident and the one in the tower. The bit with Cadsuane was mostly based on arrogance, and the one in the tower shows us why Rand believed it would happen.

If Cadsuane did actually get in Rand's way to effectively fight the last battle, she would actually be taken care off by the pattern. That is the reason why Rand was so confident in the tower and why the Aes Sedai could never hope to hold him. If they did that, they would hold him against the necessities of the pattern. A situation that would be as quickly rectified as the false dragon who was still out there when Rand revealed himself in Falme.

Rand was just too full of himself before then, though he was still right at the core, the pattern would get him what he needed (and he needed Cadsuane).
Old 02-17-2012, 04:31 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aulis Vaara View Post
If Cadsuane did actually get in Rand's way to effectively fight the last battle, she would actually be taken care off by the pattern. That is the reason why Rand was so confident in the tower and why the Aes Sedai could never hope to hold him. If they did that, they would hold him against the necessities of the pattern. A situation that would be as quickly rectified as the false dragon who was still out there when Rand revealed himself in Falme.
I don't think so, actually. Rand is not invulnerable, he could conceivably be killed.
Mesaana was there, at the time, and she might have managed to balefire him. Or a Gray Man could have used everyone's focus on Rand, and slipped a knife into his back.

He has greater protection than others, but also greater threats aiming for his throat.
Old 02-21-2012, 01:38 AM
Youngling

professorskar will become famous soon enoughprofessorskar will become famous soon enough

There's definitely some weird things going on with Rand in the last couple of books. When I first read TGS and got to that Cadsuane scene, I thought Rand's new found belief that he could manipulate the Pattern itself came from his experience channeling the True Power. I figured Rand didn't know what happened with the Semi incident, and assumed that the new source of power he had was him influencing the Wheel itself.

Another interesting scene that I feel might be related to this post has to do with Rand's meeting with Tuon.

Quote:
TGS, Chapter 35, A Halo of Blackness:

Al'Thor placed his hand on the table, palm down. He leaned forward, trapping Tuon's eyes with his own. Who could look away from those intense gray eyes, like steel? "None of this matters. Mat doesn't matter. Our similarities and our differences do not matter. All that matters is need. And I need you."
And later, in the same chapter:

Quote:
"You must call off your attacks," he said, nearly a whisper. "You must sign a treaty with me. These are not requests. They are my will."
It certainly appears to me that Rand is being more than just emphatic here. Almost as if he's trying to impose his demands on Tuon through sheer force of will. A Jedi Sedai mind trick, I guess.

Also, Tuon's POV during this scene appears eerily close to Compulsion. I know BS said she resisted due to sheer force of will, but this is the first time I think we've ever seen someone actually struggle against a ta'veren effect. Most of the time people just spill their guts and are surprised that they even spoke.

Another thing to note is Mat. I know there's a lot of discussion over his luck, and where it originates from, but it's another thing that seems to be growing. In KoD we see Mat lose a few dice games in the "hell" he takes Tuon to because it will benefit him, and in TGS in Hinderstrap he actually appears to control the dice to make himself lose. Not to mention the luck affects him to the extent that he wins when someone else tosses the dice. This definitely seems to be a stronger or at least different affect of his luck than we've seen earlier. Not saying it's related to what we see happen with Rand, just pointing it out as a parallel oddity.
Old 02-21-2012, 02:31 AM
Youngling

Quote:
Originally Posted by professorskar View Post
It certainly appears to me that Rand is being more than just emphatic here. Almost as if he's trying to impose his demands on Tuon through sheer force of will. A Jedi Sedai mind trick, I guess.
Trying to force her to join his cause by using his ta'veren nature. As the KC warned, he who thought he spun the Wheel of Time, learned the truth too late. He failed because he doesn't have that power, and in doing so alienated the last person he needed in order to win and survive at TG.

The Wheel, in its infinite wisdom, added corrective mechanism #Mat as a fix for the expected failure.

That's how I see it. Probably a theory in there somewhere.
Old 02-21-2012, 04:05 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by professorskar View Post
Also, Tuon's POV during this scene appears eerily close to Compulsion. I know BS said she resisted due to sheer force of will, but this is the first time I think we've ever seen someone actually struggle against a ta'veren effect. Most of the time people just spill their guts and are surprised that they even spoke.
It isn't the first time it happened:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoC, Chapter 18, A Taste of Solitude
He leaned forward intently. "I know she’s with Aes Sedai. You told me those Aes Sedai support me, or might. Are they afraid of me? I will take oath to stay away from them, if they are. Egwene, I mean to give Elayne the Lion Throne and the Sun Throne. She has claim to both; Cairhien will accept her as quickly as Andor does. I need her, Egwene."
Egwene opened her mouth – and realized that she was about to tell him all she knew about Salidar. Barely in time she clamped her teeth shut so hard her jaws ached, and opened herself to saidar. The sweet feel of life, so strong it overwhelmed everything else, seemed to help; slowly the urge to talk began to ebb.
Old 02-21-2012, 05:25 PM
Youngling

professorskar will become famous soon enoughprofessorskar will become famous soon enough

Good catch, Gonzo!
Old 02-21-2012, 05:34 PM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Terez

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonzoTheGreat View Post
It isn't the first time it happened:
Except that Egwene had to use the Power in that case.
Old 02-21-2012, 08:31 PM
Youngling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terez View Post
True, but the difference is that unlike any other Aes Sedai, she was able to make that effort and use the OP to break his influence. Does that stem from in part from having the willpower to make the effort, or could any sister defeat Rand's ta'veren nature simply by opening themselves to the source?
Old 02-21-2012, 08:36 PM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terez View Post
Because she's weak-willed and soft...unlike Tuon.

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Theoryland: Just Some Crazy In A Pot