art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7653

Logged In (1): uausnaughbroo,

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > Forum Archives > Archived - WoT Discussion Boards > Archived: General Wheel of Time Discussion - 05/2008 - 03/2012
User Name
Password

Old 02-23-2012, 06:16 PM
Youngling

final death will become famous soon enough
Default dangers of the one power

The one power seems alot like a hallucinogen at least when it comes to how it changes perception. But it also seems to act like a strong narcotic. When not using the one power people male and female describe it as giving up life its self or life leaving them and everything becoming gray. Semmiharage was right to much pain or pleasure will ruin a persons mind. If you have ever seen a person on meth or heroin and tried to have a conversation you would see what a wreak they are. One power users don't seem to build up a resistance to the side effects of the one power. My question is how addictive is the one power and is the fact that they get the same effect from the one power every time a danger or is it good.
Old 02-23-2012, 06:26 PM
Hero of the Horn

Great Lord of the Dark is a name known to allGreat Lord of the Dark is a name known to allGreat Lord of the Dark is a name known to allGreat Lord of the Dark is a name known to allGreat Lord of the Dark is a name known to allGreat Lord of the Dark is a name known to allGreat Lord of the Dark is a name known to allGreat Lord of the Dark is a name known to allGreat Lord of the Dark is a name known to all
Default If it's an addiction

Not drugs. I always thought the One Power most resembled Sex. Men fight with their desires, women must surrender to control it (it's in the books, I'm just the messenger), and everyone wants it really really badly. When they hold the Power, they do not want to let go. Too much of it can burn you out. Et cetera. But using it will not harm or kill you. It's not addictive ion and of itself.

Now that I'm doing my reread, the analogy doesn't seem as strong. The surrendering seems related to later plots with Nynaeve since it hasn't really come up in the early books, and the overt male sexuality is more related to Lanfear's presence when Rand learns to channel than the Power itself.

The analogy to certain drugs seems to work better when you see withdrawal in those who have been cut off or stilled.
Old 02-23-2012, 06:40 PM
Youngling

LadyFiona is just really niceLadyFiona is just really niceLadyFiona is just really niceLadyFiona is just really niceLadyFiona is just really nice
Send a message via Skype™ to LadyFiona

I have also thought that the effects seem to mimic a narcotic, especially when Rand goes through his denial phase in books 2-3 and tries to avoid channeling, but wants to, and ends up doing it anyways despite his best efforts.

However, if it TRULY caused a reaction like a, for instance, heroine, one would have to A) "Get Clean" and stop using it or B) Need to use more and more of it each time to receive the desired effect, and eventually overdose resulting in severing or death.

Experienced Aes Sedai warn of the dangers of such, but they themselves seemed to have mastered the balance, so it seems the one power is not an addiction on the scale of a hard drug like heroine or meth, because it can be controlled with will power and education. Perhaps it is more like a sleeping pill. It CAN be habit forming, and may be dangerous, especially if taken with alcohol (angreal, sa'angreal), but if you are prudent and use it as directed, it should cause no ill effects.

This "drug-like" property is also why it was so alarming that one of Aviendha's children was holding the source perpetually. Perhaps we will find out more about that possible future, perhaps not, but it was an oddity.

"Daddy, do bad people go to St. Louis?"
~Annabel, 5 years old
Old 02-23-2012, 06:50 PM
Youngling

LadyFiona is just really niceLadyFiona is just really niceLadyFiona is just really niceLadyFiona is just really niceLadyFiona is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great Lord of the Dark View Post
Not drugs. I always thought the One Power most resembled Sex.
This made me think of Avatar. Shame on you for bringing those images of "ponytail sex" to my mind!

I can sort of see where you are coming from, but, excepting fatal STDs or a heart attack, or--if you want to stretch it--dying in childbirth, too much sex never killed anyone, or made them incapable of experiencing it again.

Being denied sex does not, in most cases, make one suicidal, especially if they are willing to follow the Han Solo method.

I imagine there is not a 1:1 parallel here anyways, but rather pulled from multiple analogies, as much of the books are influenced by multiple myths, legends, works of literature.

~Annabel, 5 years old
Old 02-23-2012, 07:56 PM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

One of the things I actually have issue with on WoT is the lack of rogue channelers in Randland proper outside of False Dragons. Considering what we see of how addictive the OP is, I dont buy that "good discipline" is enough to prevent female AS from attempting to setup mini-kingdoms just like Seanchan before the Consolidation. The White Tower is to be commended for their diligence in preventing such a scenario I suppose.

I would equate it as far closer to drug addiction than sex personally.

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Theoryland: Just Some Crazy In A Pot
Old 02-23-2012, 09:48 PM
Youngling

fionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davian93 View Post
One of the things I actually have issue with on WoT is the lack of rogue channelers in Randland proper outside of False Dragons. Considering what we see of how addictive the OP is, I dont buy that "good discipline" is enough to prevent female AS from attempting to setup mini-kingdoms just like Seanchan before the Consolidation. The White Tower is to be commended for their diligence in preventing such a scenario I suppose.

I would equate it as far closer to drug addiction than sex personally.
You need to remember, though, that a single rogue channeler can do limited damage. A large organization like the WT will crush them very soon. You need to have channelers working with you, which explains why so many False Dragons try to find other men, why the Tower beaks up any groups of channelers larger than two people, and why the thought of the Black Tower scares them so much.

As for False Dragons, their destructive ability is owed as much to the notoriety of the title as the ability to channel. Which is why there have been FDs who couldn't channel.
Old 02-23-2012, 10:42 PM
Youngling

Quote:
Originally Posted by fionwe1987 View Post
You need to remember, though, that a single rogue channeler can do limited damage. A large organization like the WT will crush them very soon.
Right. Men that are born with the spark are rare, and know that they will be gentled if they are found. They can either try to hide, or try (foolishly) to gather enough support to possibly fight off the White Tower.

Women born with the spark usually die unless they go to the tower. If they survive and become a wilder, they have a very crude control and can't do much with it. Those that can learn, have to go to the Tower to learn. Groups of channelers not connected to the Tower either fear discovery by them (Kin, Sea Folk) or revere them (Aiel) or they have their own system to control channelers (Seanchan). Women taken TO the tower are indoctrinated from a young age (this is likely why they didn't accept older women, as they are harder to mold) to obey the Tower.

If they don't make it through training, they aren't strong enough to be a threat anyways. If they do, they are sworn to the 3 oaths. While the Oaths don't necessarily prevent one from having power (i.e. Elayne being Queen) it limits what you could do to achieve power. No lying. No using the OP as a weapon. No making weapons for people to hurt each other. Even if you could get around those, you have to answer to the Amyrlin, and she would send a group of sisters after you to drag you off to a farm somewhere to hoe cabbages for the rest of your life.

The Black Ajah could be considered "rogue channelers" but even they have to operate in secrecy, because, well, they don't want to be caught and stilled/executed any more than the next bloke.

~Annabel, 5 years old
Old 02-24-2012, 07:15 AM
Elder

Zombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Zombie Sammael

Let's see: it first appears around puberty, is extremely pleasurable, can have extreme consequences, and can be incredibly dangerous if not controlled.

I always saw the OP as a metaphor for sex. The various euphorias and sicknesses channellers experience when first touching the source reminded me of the ways early sexual experiences felt. I did feel that, if that was what he was going for, Jordan missed the mark a bit with how Saidin felt, but that may be down to individual experience as much as anything else.

I don't really get the drug metaphor. The consequences of withdrawal don't match what I know of narcotics, and nor do the consequences of repeated use. In fact, channelling helps those who engage in it to live richer, fuller lives (a lot like good sex).

Master of the lightnings, rider on the storm,
wearer of a crown of swords, spinner out of fate.
Who thinks he turns the Wheel of Time,
may learn the truth too late.

Light is held before the maw of the infinite void, and all that he is can be seized.

The one who Death has known
Old 02-24-2012, 09:32 AM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by fionwe1987 View Post
You need to remember, though, that a single rogue channeler can do limited damage. A large organization like the WT will crush them very soon. You need to have channelers working with you, which explains why so many False Dragons try to find other men, why the Tower beaks up any groups of channelers larger than two people, and why the thought of the Black Tower scares them so much.

As for False Dragons, their destructive ability is owed as much to the notoriety of the title as the ability to channel. Which is why there have been FDs who couldn't channel.
I should be more specific...I'm just surprised there havent been more splits in the WT too...though we do hear about a half dozen or so per the secret histories (through Siuan). Its just surprising that they all toe the party line like that and there aren't more fractures.

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Old 02-24-2012, 09:33 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Sammael View Post
Let's see: it first appears around puberty, is extremely pleasurable, can have extreme consequences, and can be incredibly dangerous if not controlled.

I always saw the OP as a metaphor for sex. The various euphorias and sicknesses channellers experience when first touching the source reminded me of the ways early sexual experiences felt. I did feel that, if that was what he was going for, Jordan missed the mark a bit with how Saidin felt, but that may be down to individual experience as much as anything else.

I don't really get the drug metaphor. The consequences of withdrawal don't match what I know of narcotics, and nor do the consequences of repeated use. In fact, channelling helps those who engage in it to live richer, fuller lives (a lot like good sex).
You can OD on the OP and you can OD on drugs.

Old 02-24-2012, 12:07 PM
Elder

Zombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Zombie Sammael

Quote:
You can OD on the OP and you can OD on drugs.
You saying you've never burned yourself out before? Poor guy...

Master of the lightnings, rider on the storm,
wearer of a crown of swords, spinner out of fate.
Who thinks he turns the Wheel of Time,
may learn the truth too late.

Light is held before the maw of the infinite void, and all that he is can be seized.

The one who Death has known
Old 02-24-2012, 12:35 PM
Youngling

If you think of the OP as sex, a lot of statements in the books take an entirely different meaning.

For instance, Ishy telling Rand "Fool! You will destroy yourself! You cannot wield it so, not yet! Not until I teach you!" when discussing Rand's "Sword" of power.

~Annabel, 5 years old
Old 02-24-2012, 01:38 PM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Never to the point of death....obviously.

Old 02-24-2012, 02:10 PM
Elder

The Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Never to the point of death....obviously.
oh come on...just a petit mort.
Old 02-24-2012, 02:44 PM
Youngling

Quote:
To the point where you could never, ever do it again? That's some serious chafing.

~Annabel, 5 years old
Old 02-24-2012, 02:53 PM
Youngling

confused at birth is a glorious beacon of lightconfused at birth is a glorious beacon of lightconfused at birth is a glorious beacon of lightconfused at birth is a glorious beacon of lightconfused at birth is a glorious beacon of lightconfused at birth is a glorious beacon of lightconfused at birth is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFiona View Post
To the point where you could never, ever do it again? That's some serious chafing.
Well it can happen

I cant remember who but some old rockstar claims he had so much sex on tour that his penis exploded during the act and had to rush to hospital holding it together in a towel

Found him
http://www.cracked.com/article_16120...l-resumes.html

sanity is a cop out

A sure cure for seasickness is to sit under a tree. - Spike Milligan

Last edited by confused at birth; 02-24-2012 at 03:01 PM.
Old 02-24-2012, 03:27 PM
Youngling

Quote:
Originally Posted by confused at birth View Post
Well it can happen

I cant remember who but some old rockstar claims he had so much sex on tour that his penis exploded during the act and had to rush to hospital holding it together in a towel

Found him
http://www.cracked.com/article_16120...l-resumes.html

Yeah, I had to look it up.

One word: OUCH!

"According to Chuck Negron, one of the three lead singers of the band that virtually lived in the Top 40 in the early 1970s ('Joy to the World,' 'An Old-Fashioned Love Song,' 'One'), his by-the-book excesses -- sex, drugs and rock 'n' roll, followed by (a lot) more sex --eventually led to a brutal incident in which he found himself holding his bleeding instrument, split open "like a hot dog," in an emergency room in Oklahoma.

In his book 'Three Dog Nightmare,' Negron recounts the buildup to this traumatic event. He went to see a doctor to get help with his organ, which was growing swollen and chapped from overuse. "In my ignorance I thought, 'Wow! It's just like working out a muscle. It's going to be huge!'"

The doctor, however, was appalled. He made the singer promise to quit shtupping, cold turkey.

A week later the singer spotted a beauty queen backstage, "a Miss-Something-or-Other" who was ignoring the advances of his bandmates. Back in Negron's room, one thing quickly led to another. Suddenly, he heard a ripping sound: "Tsh-tsH-tSHTSH!"

The embarrassment, he reports, was even more painful than the injury. Everyone on the hospital staff was "pointing and giggling," and the doctor who stitched his manhood back together laughed all the while. "

Still not fatal though, and apparently he made a full recovery.

~Annabel, 5 years old
Old 02-24-2012, 03:32 PM
Hero of the Horn

SauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to SauceyBlueConfetti

let's steer back on topic boys and girls. this thread is entertaining in it's own right...we can move the exploding penis chat to the Non Boards, m'kay?
Yeah. Murderous Saucey. My superhero name
I am Detroit. You REALLY wanna call me wimpy?
Haphazardly Spell & Fact Checked Since June 2001
Old 02-24-2012, 03:35 PM
Youngling

confused at birth is a glorious beacon of lightconfused at birth is a glorious beacon of lightconfused at birth is a glorious beacon of lightconfused at birth is a glorious beacon of lightconfused at birth is a glorious beacon of lightconfused at birth is a glorious beacon of lightconfused at birth is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Still not fatal though, and apparently he made a full recovery.
Well didnt the guy that got it chopped off by his wife do porn after it got put back on(not sure and this one I am not looking up)?

but this is only because we have good doctors, I am sure if this happened to Mat he would either bleed to death or have to make do without if he couldnt find a willing Aes Sedai to reattach it in time.

sanity is a cop out

A sure cure for seasickness is to sit under a tree. - Spike Milligan
Old 02-24-2012, 03:43 PM
Elder

bowlwoman has a brilliant futurebowlwoman has a brilliant futurebowlwoman has a brilliant futurebowlwoman has a brilliant futurebowlwoman has a brilliant futurebowlwoman has a brilliant futurebowlwoman has a brilliant futurebowlwoman has a brilliant futurebowlwoman has a brilliant futurebowlwoman has a brilliant futurebowlwoman has a brilliant future

So, could Mat hanging from the tree in Rhuidean be considered a form of erotic auto-asphyxiation? He himself isn't a channeler, but he does have the medallion to ward off any channeling. So, the "logical" conclusion is that he'd have to take care of...things...himself.

See? Back on topic.