art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7611

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > Forum Archives > Archived - WoT Discussion Boards > Archived: General Wheel of Time Discussion - 05/2008 - 03/2012
User Name
Password

Old 02-24-2012, 10:52 AM
Youngling

Tollingtoy is a glorious beacon of lightTollingtoy is a glorious beacon of lightTollingtoy is a glorious beacon of lightTollingtoy is a glorious beacon of lightTollingtoy is a glorious beacon of lightTollingtoy is a glorious beacon of light
Default Sheathing the Sword

Forgive me if this has been previously addressed, but on my re-read of TGH I noticed that the idea of Sheathing the Sword is mentioned repeatedly. Could this be how Rand dies in AMOL? Dark Rand has a moment of clarity and remembers what Lan told him in Shienar? It seems strange that RJ would spend so much time mentioning this if it was not important. Thoughts?
Old 02-24-2012, 10:56 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

The general idea is that Rand used this at the end of TGH, when he got the first never healing wound. Most people (including me) seem to think that it won't be used again.
Old 02-24-2012, 05:39 PM
Hero of the Horn

Great Lord of the Dark is a name known to allGreat Lord of the Dark is a name known to allGreat Lord of the Dark is a name known to allGreat Lord of the Dark is a name known to allGreat Lord of the Dark is a name known to allGreat Lord of the Dark is a name known to allGreat Lord of the Dark is a name known to allGreat Lord of the Dark is a name known to allGreat Lord of the Dark is a name known to all
Default Bookends

I think there's lots that can be found in the early books that will play a role in A Memory of Light, but Sheathing the Sword is not one of them. Unless it is a metaphorical sheathing, in which Rand takes a wound (is captured, tortured, or killed) in order to get where he needs to be to win the Last Battle. A prophecy or two could be fulfilled this way, and more closely parallel the Jesus Myth.
Old 02-24-2012, 05:42 PM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Terez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tollingtoy View Post
Forgive me if this has been previously addressed, but on my re-read of TGH I noticed that the idea of Sheathing the Sword is mentioned repeatedly. Could this be how Rand dies in AMOL? Dark Rand has a moment of clarity and remembers what Lan told him in Shienar? It seems strange that RJ would spend so much time mentioning this if it was not important. Thoughts?
I think it's quite possible that it will come back in a slightly different form, playing into the foreshadowing of Egwene's Accepted test, where Rand begs her to kill him. But if Moridin was involved, it would be too repetitive. If anyone, it will be Gawyn.
Old 02-24-2012, 05:52 PM
Youngling

Tollingtoy is a glorious beacon of lightTollingtoy is a glorious beacon of lightTollingtoy is a glorious beacon of lightTollingtoy is a glorious beacon of lightTollingtoy is a glorious beacon of lightTollingtoy is a glorious beacon of light

Terez, very interesting twist. I definitely think Gawyn will play a major role
Old 02-25-2012, 02:33 AM
Elder

Rand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terez View Post
I think it's quite possible that it will come back in a slightly different form, playing into the foreshadowing of Egwene's Accepted test, where Rand begs her to kill him. But if Moridin was involved, it would be too repetitive. If anyone, it will be Gawyn.
Just a question; What motivation would Gawyn have to kill Rand? Just to blindly follow Egwene's orders? Even for him, that's seems to be pushing it a bit.
Old 02-25-2012, 02:42 AM
Elder

The Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond repute

Frankly, I think the Gawyn v. Rand has played itself out. I do think Gawyn will try to kill Tuon though, and that Cyndane will kill Rand after Rand begs her to. Or maybe she just kills him...the whole 'never harm a woman' thing. Or both.

The one key element of my Grand Theory is that this world has to die. It will be reborn, just as the Dragon rides again on the winds of time, and the whole Dragon/Land thing. But I think the appearance of Fain is the sign the Wheel waits for to push its only reset button, and begin again.

ETA: So, Rand will finally 'agree' with Moridin in a sense, and Sheathe the Sword.

Last edited by The Unreasoner; 02-25-2012 at 02:52 AM.
Old 02-25-2012, 02:48 AM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rand al'Fain View Post
Just a question; What motivation would Gawyn have to kill Rand? Just to blindly follow Egwene's orders? Even for him, that's seems to be pushing it a bit.
lol. I love how you don't even question Egwene's motivation. But there could be a few motivations at this point. Right now I tend to look at it from the perspective of breaking the seals, and I really doubt Egwene would even give the orders. Gawyn asked for the ability to disobey her if it means protecting her. He would just have to be convinced, either by Egwene or on his own, that the seals being broken would be worse than Rand dying before he's won the Last Battle. It's not hard to see. There is also a possibility it will have something to do with the sentiment expressed in Egwene's Accepted test, but honestly that's where I think Moiraine will come in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Unreasoner View Post
Frankly, I think the Gawyn v. Rand has played itself out.
No one cares.
Old 02-25-2012, 02:51 AM
Elder

The Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
lol. I love how you don't even question Egwene's motivation.
hahaha...this deserves some rep, for both of you.
(it's weird, I never really give a crap one way or another about Egwene until an Eglover starts throwing logic out the window to defend her. Then...the BP goes WAY up)
Old 02-25-2012, 05:07 AM
Elder

FelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant future
Default Sheath, Sheathing, Sheathed: It's 'Cows Spies' Worthy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tollingtoy View Post
Forgive me if this has been previously addressed, but on my re-read of TGH I noticed that the idea of Sheathing the Sword is mentioned repeatedly.

"Sheathing" themes can be quite funny... it's no accident, you're noticed this Pattern. It's topic worthy of a 'Cows Spies' level of humor, too, if not greater.

Daggers, Knifes, Scabbards, Swords, Human Bodies and even--yes!--Dream Bodies, each can be "Sheathed". Each of these objects are metaphors & symbols, which contain additional dense layers poetic meanings.

[Brandon Sanderson better not screw this humor up.]

I'll hold up, for now, on those particular details.

Quote:
Could this be how Rand dies in AMOL?
In theory, yes it's connected...
Quote:
Rand’s sword was in his hand; he did not remember unsheathing it.

The Eye of the World, Chapter 49 'The Dark One Stir'--Rand al'Thor

That is if you believe, 'The Creature' will not get a chance to kill his nemesis first: the *Quad-Trinity Being*--Moridin, Rand, Dark One, Shaidar Haran?

Though, two of Min's Aura Viewings do mention a Sword: Black one, and a White one. *Quad-Trinity Being*--Moridin's face?

However, three of the Aiel Dreamwalkers told Aviendha about an unseen Man with a Dagger to Rand al'Thor neck too. The Being with many Names, *The Creature's* Red Ruby Dagger?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tollingtoy
Dark Rand has a moment of clarity and remembers what Lan told him in Shienar? It seems strange that RJ would spend so much time mentioning this if it was not important. Thoughts?
Oh, it's vitally important metaphor...
Not only for Rand's character...

But it's far too bawdy, too ribald to mention here...
Mind you, the children's eyes....

For more see, @TinkerPride at Twitter.com

Last edited by FelixPax; 02-25-2012 at 05:14 AM.
Old 02-25-2012, 05:12 AM
Elder

Felix, what are your thoughts on my 'Fain is the harbinger of the end' theoryette?
Old 02-25-2012, 05:35 AM
Elder

FelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant future

Quote:
Felix, what are your thoughts on my 'Fain is the harbinger of the end' theoryette?

I haven't seen it, so can't say at this time.

Though, one of my own Hypotheses is that 'The Creature' will win the Last Battle in this World. [The Black Albatross seen by Tuon as an Omen of Victory, in Winter' Heart book, is a clue for this outcome.] In the sense, that the neo-Da'Shaiel survivors will have to flee to a new Dream World or Worlds, for 'The Beginning' of the Fourth Age to occur. In a nutshell:
  • Fain gets a victory;
  • Nynaeve, Lan, Luca, Mat et al get a victory;
  • And the Dark One, Moridin, Shaidar Haran get kicked back home.

For more see, @TinkerPride at Twitter.com
Old 02-25-2012, 05:43 PM
Elder

I'll give the gist here...
The World Tree/Ygdrassil/Avendesora is the hub of the Parallel Worlds. The universe dies with the Tree at Tarmon Gaidon/Dagor Dagorath/Ragnorak. Fain is the monkey/creature said to live in the branches, and Rand is both the serpent/Dragon and the Shepherd-survivor/Noah/Adam/Christ that gives new life to the Tree and rebuilds/repopulates the Universe.

ETA:
Basically, what is Rand but Time with Legs? Someone with the ability to temporarily step out of an eternal loop?

Last edited by The Unreasoner; 02-25-2012 at 05:49 PM.
Old 02-25-2012, 08:47 PM
Elder

Lupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud of

Quote:
Rand ... rebuilds/repopulates the Universe.
Oh dear.

"Yeah, but obviously the Great Serpent doesn't have an actual corpse which would be of any help in strangling Rand al'Thor; for a start, if there was an actual serpent encircling the world, it would be monumentally huge, and trying to strangle someone with it would lead more to a sort of crushing." - Zombie Sammael

Selective Necrophiliac
Old 02-25-2012, 09:17 PM
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupusdeusest View Post
Oh dear.
Oh come on...he has three Eves.
Old 02-25-2012, 09:25 PM
Hero of the Horn

What was the name of that god in Eddings' Belgariad who was the god of the northern countries and liked to visit his lady worshipers in the night? Rand could be like that.
Old 02-25-2012, 09:36 PM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
What was the name of that god in Eddings' Belgariad who was the god of the northern countries and liked to visit his lady worshipers in the night? Rand could be like that.
Belar I believe...

The Bear God.

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Theoryland: Just Some Crazy In A Pot
Old 02-25-2012, 10:24 PM
Youngling

LadyFiona is just really niceLadyFiona is just really niceLadyFiona is just really niceLadyFiona is just really niceLadyFiona is just really nice
Send a message via Skype™ to LadyFiona

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davian93 View Post
Belar I believe...

The Bear God.
That sounds right...Belar was the god for the northern territories, I think.

As a disclaimer, the last time I read the Belgariad I was pregnant and vomiting regularly, so my memory might be a bit fuzzy.

What is this "cow spies" I keep seeing bandied about? I must know!

"Daddy, do bad people go to St. Louis?"
~Annabel, 5 years old
Old 02-25-2012, 11:00 PM
Hero of the Horn

Cow spies!
Old 02-26-2012, 12:15 AM
Elder

Lupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davian93 View Post
Belar I believe...

The Bear God.
Bela is the DR? She will impregnate the girls and wear a Cape?

"Yeah, but obviously the Great Serpent doesn't have an actual corpse which would be of any help in strangling Rand al'Thor; for a start, if there was an actual serpent encircling the world, it would be monumentally huge, and trying to strangle someone with it would lead more to a sort of crushing." - Zombie Sammael

Selective Necrophiliac