art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7611

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > Forum Archives > Archived - WoT Discussion Boards > Archived: General Wheel of Time Discussion - 05/2008 - 03/2012
User Name
Password

Old 02-24-2012, 05:21 PM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Terez
Default Big News: Whelan to do AMOL cover

So what's it about?

I'm guessing it's about cover art, since that would partly explain why they pushed the date back. They'd already asked Michael Whelan to do the ebook cover for AMOL. Whelan insists on reading the entire book, and has to have a year to complete the painting. That's why RJ decided to go with DKS. Anyway, I suppose it's possible that in this case Harriet decided that the extra time necessary to get Whelan was just more time to make sure AMOL was perfect. But we'll see on Monday.
Old 02-24-2012, 06:48 PM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Do you have any examples of Whelan's art?

I'm not really up on my fantasy book cover artists to be honest.

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Theoryland: Just Some Crazy In A Pot
Old 02-24-2012, 06:54 PM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute

He did the cover of TWOK, but IMO it's not really one of his best. Not that I'm a huge fan or anything. Brandon is, though.

Here you go: http://www.glassonion.com/catalog/home.php
Old 02-24-2012, 11:15 PM
Youngling

LadyFiona is just really niceLadyFiona is just really niceLadyFiona is just really niceLadyFiona is just really niceLadyFiona is just really nice
Send a message via Skype™ to LadyFiona

Oooh, Michael Whelan is awesome. Although, he is most know for his dragons, and WoT doesn't have any dragons in the flesh-and-blood scaly creature sense.

He did cover art for a series of Melanie Rawn books I read in middle school/Jr. high, and they were excellent. His website appears to be down for maintenance. Here is one of the Melanie Rawn covers, one of the best of the six, I think. http://images2.fanpop.com/images/pho...82-730-805.jpg

Also, this isn't a scene from the book (that we know of, anyways) but this picture is AMAZING, and I could definitely imagine it as cover art, though I suspect it might be all digital, instead of an actual painting.
http://dem888.deviantart.com/art/Tar...idon-188536200

"Daddy, do bad people go to St. Louis?"
~Annabel, 5 years old

Last edited by LadyFiona; 02-24-2012 at 11:45 PM.
Old 02-25-2012, 12:05 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFiona View Post
Oooh, Michael Whelan is awesome. Although, he is most know for his dragons, and WoT doesn't have any dragons in the flesh-and-blood scaly creature sense.
He could probably do a pretty badass version of fist-pumping Rand and his arms, though. And the banner, which is supposed be really fancy. It's possible that Whelan will do a tribute to DKS by using his sketch as a model and somewhat blending styles. Some artists enjoy doing that sort of thing. But it's possible he will do something entirely different.

Quote:
He did cover art for a series of Melanie Rawn books I read in middle school/Jr. high, and they were excellent.
That might be where Brandon picked up his Whelan fanboyism, since Rawn was one of his first fantasy loves.
Old 02-25-2012, 12:08 AM
Hero of the Horn

lol, I just noticed that Irene Gallo is the art director for Tor Books. I didn't know that. And here I thought I was smart!

PS, a quote

Quote:
Interview: Nov 14th, 1998
TPOD Signing Report - Matthew Hunter (Paraphrased)

Someone asked how he chose the cover artist, and we got a nice long spiel with some previously unknown information. Jordan and his wife went through bookstores picking out books based on their (if they liked it) cover art and finding out who did the cover. It came down to two artists, Darrell K. Sweet and Michael Whelan. The deciding factor was that Whelan wants the manuscript to read for a year before he will deliver a cover, and they just couldn't wait that long.

They are apparently considering a later reissue of the entire series with different covers, perhaps by Whelan, once it is complete.

Last edited by Terez; 02-25-2012 at 12:12 AM.
Old 02-25-2012, 12:35 AM
Youngling

LadyFiona is just really niceLadyFiona is just really niceLadyFiona is just really niceLadyFiona is just really niceLadyFiona is just really nice

This article/blog post on Tor.com, written by Brandon, describes his introduction to Michael Whelan and how it literally changed his life. Everyone should read it. http://www.tor.com/blogs/2010/03/mic...an-apreciation

Although, I was never a reluctant reader, I too, hated the stories of boys in the woods with dogs. I think Dragon Prince (Melanie Rawn) was my first Whelan, and then, like Brandon, I was sucked into to The Dragonbone Chair, by Tad Williams. The 3rd book in the Tad Williams trilogy, To Green Angel Tower, has an absolutely breathtaking cover. It's magnificent. I literally got chills reading that blog post because I had so many of the same experiences, except, you know, for becoming a successful author and getting my own Whelan cover...YET

~Annabel, 5 years old
Old 02-25-2012, 01:25 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
This article/blog post on Tor.com, written by Brandon, describes his introduction to Michael Whelan and how it literally changed his life. Everyone should read it. http://www.tor.com/blogs/2010/03/mic...an-apreciation
I added that to the interview database. Thanks! I've seen it before, but trying to keep up with Brandon is somewhat overwhelming.
Old 02-27-2012, 07:19 AM
Elder

sleepinghour has a reputation beyond reputesleepinghour has a reputation beyond reputesleepinghour has a reputation beyond reputesleepinghour has a reputation beyond reputesleepinghour has a reputation beyond reputesleepinghour has a reputation beyond reputesleepinghour has a reputation beyond reputesleepinghour has a reputation beyond reputesleepinghour has a reputation beyond reputesleepinghour has a reputation beyond reputesleepinghour has a reputation beyond repute

I just noticed that a WoT poster featuring one of the ebook covers ended up going for $135 at the Con or Bust charity auction, with lots of people (including HCFFs ) bidding in the comments. Since there seems to be a huge demand for those posters, Tor would be crazy not to produce more of them and sell to fans. If the big announcement isn't about the AMoL cover art, that would be my second guess.

Last edited by sleepinghour; 02-27-2012 at 11:40 AM.
Old 02-27-2012, 07:42 AM
Hero of the Horn

I don't doubt they'll do something like that. But this seems to be something bigger. Hoping we will find out within a few hours. It would be lame if they waited till the end of the day to announce it.
Old 02-27-2012, 08:26 AM
Elder

sleepinghour has a reputation beyond reputesleepinghour has a reputation beyond reputesleepinghour has a reputation beyond reputesleepinghour has a reputation beyond reputesleepinghour has a reputation beyond reputesleepinghour has a reputation beyond reputesleepinghour has a reputation beyond reputesleepinghour has a reputation beyond reputesleepinghour has a reputation beyond reputesleepinghour has a reputation beyond reputesleepinghour has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terez View Post
I don't doubt they'll do something like that. But this seems to be something bigger. Hoping we will find out within a few hours. It would be lame if they waited till the end of the day to announce it.
Yeah, the wait is killing me. I wonder if this announcement was planned or they decided to throw the fans a bone to pacify people whining about the release date.
Old 02-27-2012, 08:32 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Although, I was never a reluctant reader, I too, hated the stories of boys in the woods with dogs.
So is this like...Old Yeller and Where the Red Fern Grows? I cried when I read those books, but I liked them more than other books we were expected to read as kids. I think sometimes that they make kids read those books to introduce them to the concept of death.

My introduction to fantasy was C.S. Lewis, and L'Engle was my introduction to science-fiction. I think I read Tolkien next, and after that I got into Rice and King and other mainstreamers—RJ calls them the magic realists.
Old 02-27-2012, 08:34 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepinghour View Post
Yeah, the wait is killing me. I wonder if this announcement was planned or they decided to throw the fans a bone to pacify people whining about the release date.
If it's about Whelan, I'm sure it was planned, and that they announced the release date first in order to separate the decision from Whelan so that we wouldn't have crazy fans suggesting they should find someone else who can do it quicker. So really, it's both. They give us a week to get the angst out of our systems about the release date, and then throw us a bone that actually probably had quite a bit to do with the release date decision.
Old 02-27-2012, 08:55 AM
Hero of the Horn

WinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to WinespringBrother

Quote:
I just noticed that a WoT poster featuring one of the ebook covers ended up going for $135 at the
Con or Bust charity auction, with lots of people (including HCFFs ) bidding in the comments. Since there seems to be a huge demand for those posters, Tor would be crazy not to produce more of them and sell to fans. If the big announcement isn't about the AMoL cover art, that would be my second guess.
That would be me with my google + avatar ... the bidding got a bit rich for me, however. I already won 2 of the covers at the silent auctions at JordanCon, anyway (for TFOH and TofM) and will probably bid on another one this year.

"Oh, y'all [Theorylanders] are awesome with awesome sauce, but you ask a lot of tricky questions. I had to watch myself with you guys." - Maria

"I need to RAFO more things, I'm not being very Robert Jordan..." - Brandon
Old 02-27-2012, 10:53 AM
Elder

Lupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud of

I give up. I'm going to bed.

"Yeah, but obviously the Great Serpent doesn't have an actual corpse which would be of any help in strangling Rand al'Thor; for a start, if there was an actual serpent encircling the world, it would be monumentally huge, and trying to strangle someone with it would lead more to a sort of crushing." - Zombie Sammael

Selective Necrophiliac
Old 02-27-2012, 11:12 AM
Hero of the Horn

I was right.
Old 02-27-2012, 05:09 PM
Elder

Lupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud of

Precisely 2 minutes after I gave up and went to bed.
Typical.

"Yeah, but obviously the Great Serpent doesn't have an actual corpse which would be of any help in strangling Rand al'Thor; for a start, if there was an actual serpent encircling the world, it would be monumentally huge, and trying to strangle someone with it would lead more to a sort of crushing." - Zombie Sammael

Selective Necrophiliac
Old 02-27-2012, 07:42 PM
Youngling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terez View Post
So is this like...Old Yeller and Where the Red Fern Grows? I cried when I read those books, but I liked them more than other books we were expected to read as kids. I think sometimes that they make kids read those books to introduce them to the concept of death.
I don't know about Old Yeller, I was thinking more like Call of the Wild, but yeah pretty much. I tried to read Where the Red Fern Grows and couldn't do it. Most kids my age were reading stuff like The Orphan Train and Scott O'Dell books, and I was just not interested in them at all.

Quote:
My introduction to fantasy was C.S. Lewis, and L'Engle was my introduction to science-fiction. I think I read Tolkien next, and after that I got into Rice and King and other mainstreamers—RJ calls them the magic realists.
That's...weird, me too! I devoured the Chronicles of Narnia the first half of 4th grade. We moved afterwards and my dad found his old copies of The Hobbit and LoTR when we were unpacking and gave them to me. I tried to start with LoTR but couldn't do it, so I set them aside for a little while, then decided to start with The Hobbit. I read it during the 2nd half of 4th grade, then went on to LoTR in 5th grade. My Sunday School teacher gave me A Wrinkle In Time for a Christmas gift in 5th grade, so I was fully indoctrinated in fantasy/sci-fi before I left grade school I had a hard time reading your normal YA books after that (we didn't have Harry Potter then!) I made the jump to modern adult fantasy with David Eddings (Go Sparhawk!)

I'm super excited that Whelan is doing the cover art. I can't wait to see it.

~Annabel, 5 years old
Old 02-27-2012, 08:32 PM
Elder

The Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Yeah, the wait is killing me. I wonder if this announcement was planned or if they decided to throw the fans a bone to pacify people whining about the release date.
Yeah...'big' is pretty generous, but: their word, not ours.

As a general rule, most stuff is just noise. I certainly didn't expect anything.
Old 02-27-2012, 10:00 PM
Hero of the Horn

Unreasoner, stop being a troll.

Quote:
That's...weird, me too! I devoured the Chronicles of Narnia the first half of 4th grade. We moved afterwards and my dad found his old copies of The Hobbit and LoTR when we were unpacking and gave them to me. I tried to start with LoTR but couldn't do it, so I set them aside for a little while, then decided to start with The Hobbit. I read it during the 2nd half of 4th grade, then went on to LoTR in 5th grade. My Sunday School teacher gave me A Wrinkle In Time for a Christmas gift in 5th grade, so I was fully indoctrinated in fantasy/sci-fi before I left grade school I had a hard time reading your normal YA books after that (we didn't have Harry Potter then!) I made the jump to modern adult fantasy with David Eddings (Go Sparhawk!)
haha, Eddings was also my first modern adult fantasy. I went from Eddings to Goodkind to WoT. I don't think there was anything else in between, except for Feist, who I found dusty. (Yes, I liked Goodkind more than Feist.) I read the first 4 books in the Magician series and then gave up. A friend of mine from work was lending me all those books, and if I liked the series I bought the books. He actually gave me a copy of Winter's Heart in hardback because his daughter (read: ex-wife) had bought him one for Christmas, and he already had it.