art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7611

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > WHEEL OF TIME FORUMS > General Wheel of Time Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 03-03-2012, 07:30 PM
Youngling

neurotopia is just really niceneurotopia is just really niceneurotopia is just really niceneurotopia is just really niceneurotopia is just really niceneurotopia is just really nice
Default Taim's personality

I've been thinking a bit about Taim after my last reread. Initially upon meeting Rand, he seems somewhat reserved, ok yes he's acts rather aloof but it isn't as snotty. Occasionally he's deferential to Rand and at times also oddly supportive, almost compassionate aka "you have to hold on until the last battle" when Rand is confronting another bout of madness. Moridin is much the same way when Rand enters his dream, for instance. Not necessarily chummy, but he acts as if they are familiar.

Later on Taim becomes more arrogant and disdainful, constantly passive-aggressive confrontational, and has that weird imitation thing on. He seems much less confident and comfortable in his own skin, so to speak. It almost seemed a sudden change. But there's little indication that the taint is taking hold. This seems more in line with how Demandred would mock Rand right under his nose.

I think that Taim's body is under control of both Ishydin and Demandred, though not at the same time obviously. If he died when he fell off his horse when Falme went down, this makes sense; the DO has this high-powered channeling body readily available to make use of. If Slayer can be a man with two souls, I don't see why the DO can't make this happen. Especially when there's a stasis box available to stash the body in when nobody is using it.

As things progress in the series, Moridin obviously can't get too chummy with Rand since they're apparently merging which might tip things off, so it seems to make sense that he could hand off control of Taim's body to Demandred occasionally. In this way, RJ is clearly not lying when he says Taimandred is BS, but then again there's more to the story.
Old 03-03-2012, 07:36 PM
Elder

Zombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Zombie Sammael

Taimandred: the theory that just won't die.

I say again: Mazrim Taim is a Demandred, not the Demandred.

Master of the lightnings, rider on the storm,
wearer of a crown of swords, spinner out of fate.
Who thinks he turns the Wheel of Time,
may learn the truth too late.

Light is held before the maw of the infinite void, and all that he is can be seized.

The one who Death has known
Old 03-03-2012, 09:11 PM
Hero of the Horn

Great Lord of the Dark is a name known to allGreat Lord of the Dark is a name known to allGreat Lord of the Dark is a name known to allGreat Lord of the Dark is a name known to allGreat Lord of the Dark is a name known to allGreat Lord of the Dark is a name known to allGreat Lord of the Dark is a name known to allGreat Lord of the Dark is a name known to allGreat Lord of the Dark is a name known to all
Default Also

Robert Jordan is wrong. Taim is Demandred.
Old 03-04-2012, 01:04 AM
Elder

greatwolf will become famous soon enoughgreatwolf will become famous soon enough

For me the problem has always been why did RJ laugh when he debunked Taimandred? Why?
Old 03-04-2012, 01:17 AM
Youngling

eht slat meit has a brilliant futureeht slat meit has a brilliant futureeht slat meit has a brilliant futureeht slat meit has a brilliant futureeht slat meit has a brilliant futureeht slat meit has a brilliant futureeht slat meit has a brilliant futureeht slat meit has a brilliant futureeht slat meit has a brilliant futureeht slat meit has a brilliant futureeht slat meit has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatwolf View Post
For me the problem has always been why did RJ laugh when he debunked Taimandred? Why?
My guess would be because, as characters, they're nothing alike, and are only taken for one another because of the way the story has been written.

Consider that Taim is supremely confident, so arrogant as to proclaim himself the Dragon, yet despite his power fails to accomplish anything in this age. He'll submit to the Dragon, and cut his throat like an assassin when his time comes.

Demandred, on the other hand, is superemely skilled, second only to the Dragon himself in skill leadership prowess as a general, but has a ridiculous inferiority complex. His time will be in the heat of battle, standing over the Dragon's smoking corpse, his superiority finally proven, once and for all.

Yeah, rambling, I know. That's how I see them, though.
Old 03-09-2012, 04:23 AM
Youngling

Dajoran has a brilliant futureDajoran has a brilliant futureDajoran has a brilliant futureDajoran has a brilliant futureDajoran has a brilliant futureDajoran has a brilliant futureDajoran has a brilliant futureDajoran has a brilliant futureDajoran has a brilliant futureDajoran has a brilliant futureDajoran has a brilliant future

I used to believe that Taim was our first victim of the 13x13 gambit.

I can't remember what line of text put me onto this. I'll have a looksee and see if I can dig it up.

"Saighdiúirí, a ullmhú marcra chun pas a fháil ar aghaidh! Ar aghaidh an Gharda Chroí! Ar aghaidh! Chun an tOnórach an Iolar Dearg! An Iolar Dearg!"

beidh mo chlaíomh onóir na marbh.
Old 03-09-2012, 08:35 AM
Youngling

Seth Baker is a glorious beacon of lightSeth Baker is a glorious beacon of lightSeth Baker is a glorious beacon of lightSeth Baker is a glorious beacon of lightSeth Baker is a glorious beacon of lightSeth Baker is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dajoran View Post
I used to believe that Taim was our first victim of the 13x13 gambit.

I can't remember what line of text put me onto this. I'll have a looksee and see if I can dig it up.
That could make sense, given that he used to seem genuinely concerned, but he's never been described as having the dead eyes (something like "shadow shoved inside a skin") like the definite 13x13ers.
Old 03-09-2012, 09:59 AM
Youngling

Heinz will become famous soon enoughHeinz will become famous soon enough

I also always assumed his concern was simply that prophecy be fulfilled, so he has to hold on till the Last Battle so the DO defeats him there.

That doesn't fit with him sending his protege's to kill Rand later, but then other Forsaken also flip-flop between killing Rand and keeping him alive, so it hasn't struck me as out-of-ordinary behavior.
Old 03-09-2012, 10:08 AM
Youngling

Seth Baker is a glorious beacon of lightSeth Baker is a glorious beacon of lightSeth Baker is a glorious beacon of lightSeth Baker is a glorious beacon of lightSeth Baker is a glorious beacon of lightSeth Baker is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heinz View Post
I also always assumed his concern was simply that prophecy be fulfilled, so he has to hold on till the Last Battle so the DO defeats him there.

That doesn't fit with him sending his protege's to kill Rand later, but then other Forsaken also flip-flop between killing Rand and keeping him alive, so it hasn't struck me as out-of-ordinary behavior.
The other Forsaken seemed okay with killing him early in the series and then backed off when the Dark One said "Let the Lord of Chaos rule."

Taim did the opposite. Which is quite peculiar, since it doesn't fit squarely with him being a high ranking Darkfriend - which he almost undoubtedly is.
Old 03-09-2012, 10:15 AM
Youngling

Dajoran has a brilliant futureDajoran has a brilliant futureDajoran has a brilliant futureDajoran has a brilliant futureDajoran has a brilliant futureDajoran has a brilliant futureDajoran has a brilliant futureDajoran has a brilliant futureDajoran has a brilliant futureDajoran has a brilliant futureDajoran has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth Baker View Post
That could make sense, given that he used to seem genuinely concerned, but he's never been described as having the dead eyes (something like "shadow shoved inside a skin") like the definite 13x13ers.
(Note: I had a pretty big reply to go... but I lost it in the logins of doom... I need to start writing these up in notepad first... here's the tl;dr version)

I agree - and it is in the way that Brandon describes the eyes and smile of those who have been 13x13'd that puts me off the idea.

However, I often wonder whether certain aspects of Taim's personality is a subtle attempt at showing the same thing. If we boil it down to two things it is, at its essence, Odd Eyes and Awkward Smiles. (new band name...)

Taim is sometimes described as having dark eyes and quirk to his lips of a somewhat smile, or a smile that never touches his eyes.

The people who see Mezar and Tarna post-13x13ing know them prior to the change, and are more adept at noticing these glaring changes of character.

Rand, however, did not know Taim prior to LoC.

Bashere on the other hand spots a difference, but it is brushed over with Taim's 'shaving' comment.

I don't actually believe that Taim is a victim of 13x13. It's just an idea I get whenever I wonder what the process actually entails... what is it exactly that they are doing? Replacing souls? If so with what? etc.

It's all moot anyway... we already found out that Taim is one of Asmodean's horcruxes anyway.

"Saighdiúirí, a ullmhú marcra chun pas a fháil ar aghaidh! Ar aghaidh an Gharda Chroí! Ar aghaidh! Chun an tOnórach an Iolar Dearg! An Iolar Dearg!"

beidh mo chlaíomh onóir na marbh.

Last edited by Dajoran; 03-09-2012 at 10:30 AM.
Old 03-09-2012, 12:07 PM
Youngling

mogi67 is an unknown quantity at this point

What about the aura of darkness that follows Taim whenever he meets Elayne in Caemlyn in KOD? As if the light suddenly grows dim when he enters the room. As far as I know, we've only seen that mentioned with people who have channeled the TP.

Unless it's simply a weave, like the one that Dashiva uses when Rand goes to meet Cadsuane, where he creates a menacing feeling of dread or impending violence.
Old 03-09-2012, 12:47 PM
Youngling

Quote:
Originally Posted by mogi67 View Post
What about the aura of darkness that follows Taim whenever he meets Elayne in Caemlyn in KOD? As if the light suddenly grows dim when he enters the room. As far as I know, we've only seen that mentioned with people who have channeled the TP.

Unless it's simply a weave, like the one that Dashiva uses when Rand goes to meet Cadsuane, where he creates a menacing feeling of dread or impending violence.
Either could be. It doesn't make sense for him to be any of the Forsaken. He could be a new Forsaken-level Dreadlord, but it would seem odd for the Forsaken to treat Taim like an equal while treating the Black Ajah like worms; I don't see why the Dark One would let Taim channel the True Power and not any Black Ajah members.

So based on all that confusing stuff, I'd think that it's either a Talent that Elayne manifested without knowing it, or a weave that Taim was using to be intimidating. Though the similarities between that and Rand's post-TP channeling effect are hard to ignore.
Old 03-09-2012, 12:53 PM
Youngling

Grig has a brilliant futureGrig has a brilliant futureGrig has a brilliant futureGrig has a brilliant futureGrig has a brilliant futureGrig has a brilliant futureGrig has a brilliant futureGrig has a brilliant futureGrig has a brilliant futureGrig has a brilliant futureGrig has a brilliant future

Quote:
I don't see why the Dark One would let Taim channel the True Power and not any Black Ajah members.
Nor any of the Forsaken, save Graendal and Moridin. Recall that Moridin got "exclusive use of the TP" when he became Nae'blis, until Graendal got her pat on the head.

Quote:
Though the similarities between that and Rand's post-TP channeling effect are hard to ignore.
Concur. Although also noteworthy is that Sanderson said that Rand's dark aura was only partially due to TP usage.
Old 03-09-2012, 01:05 PM
Youngling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grig View Post
Concur. Although also noteworthy is that Sanderson said that Rand's dark aura was only partially due to TP usage.
Which begs the question: what else contributed to the aura? I can't think of anything that would be general enough to include both Taim and Rand, without it also including others of the Forsaken or anyone else evil/dark/touched by the Dark One. I also have a hard time thinking that any of the Dragon-specific stuff would apply, for obvious reasons.

Unless RJ and BS have just been completely lying to us all along and Taim is actually Moridin in secret. Or they crossed streams too.
Old 04-07-2012, 04:52 PM
Youngling

Flinn Sedai is just really niceFlinn Sedai is just really niceFlinn Sedai is just really niceFlinn Sedai is just really nice

I always thought this was pretty straightforward.

Taim resents the way that Rand treats him. Yeah, he starts off arrogant, but that's because he is confident in his power. He was a (False) Dragon that raised an army, and killed his way through the Borderlands.

Now, he's been relegated to being, in his view, a dog who gets pat on the head when he does a good job (see: the pins), and whose authority is not based on his own ability, but on the "kindness" of Rand.

For somebody with his ego, that's a HUGE insult. That's why he gets more and more aggressive when Rand does it.

It's also what sold Taimandred, to me. It's the same reasoning that Demandred had, for resenting LTT.

Quote:
His hawk-nosed profile was handsome enough, though not quite the sort to make every woman's heart beat faster. In a way, "almost" and "not quite" had been the story of Demandred's life. He had had the misfortune to be born one day after Lews Therin Telamon, who would become the Dragon, while Barid Bel Medar, as he was then, spent years almost matching Lews Therin's accomplishments, not quite matching Lews Therin's fame. Without Lews Therin, he would have been the most acclaimed man of the Age. Had he been appointed to lead instead of the man he considered his intellectual inferior, an overcautious fool who too often managed to scrape up luck, would he stand here today? Now, that was idle speculation, though she had made it before. No, the important point was that Demandred despised the Dragon, and now that the Dragon had been Reborn, he had transferred that contempt whole.
Quote:
They halted a few paces before him at a gesture from Tumad. Rand opened his mouth, but before he could speak, Lews Therin rose up in a frenzy in his head. Sammael and Demandred hated me, whatever honors I gave them. The more honors, the worse the hate, until they sold their souls and went over. Demandred especially. I should have killed him! I should have killed them all! Scorched the earth to kill them all! Scorch the earth!
edit: To clarify, Taimandred is obviously dead. It's what initially sold the idea to me.

Last edited by Flinn Sedai; 04-07-2012 at 09:27 PM. Reason: Clarify
Old 04-08-2012, 02:21 AM
Elder

greatwolf will become famous soon enoughgreatwolf will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flinn Sedai View Post
edit: To clarify, Taimandred is obviously dead. It's what initially sold the idea to me.
Agreed. He said it straight out afterall.

Taim, at Rand's first meeting, was about 35 to 41 years old. That roughly the same age we expect Demandred to look since he was just a day younger than LTT. So it isn't just a personality resemblance but physical as well.

But also at that first contact, LTT did not react to Taim immediately, there was a gap. You can contrast this with the scene with semirhage. Both Rand and LTT react at once to what they see by grabbing at once for saidin.

I think that means that Taim is in some way like Demandred but not Demandred. Or he is Demandred slightly altered.

PS: I wish we asked more questions about Logain. ~sigh~
Old 04-08-2012, 02:56 AM
Elder

AbbeyRoad has a brilliant futureAbbeyRoad has a brilliant futureAbbeyRoad has a brilliant futureAbbeyRoad has a brilliant futureAbbeyRoad has a brilliant futureAbbeyRoad has a brilliant futureAbbeyRoad has a brilliant futureAbbeyRoad has a brilliant futureAbbeyRoad has a brilliant futureAbbeyRoad has a brilliant futureAbbeyRoad has a brilliant future

For a while I held the belief that RJ originally meant for Taim to be Demandred's alter ego, but then realized it was entirely too obvious and would come as no surprise, so decided to change his mind at the last minute after book 6 was published and rewrote the character in subsequent books accordingly.

"He can compress the most words into the smallest idea of any man I ever met."
— Abraham Lincoln

Draw a crazy picture, write a nutty poem. Sing a mumble-gumble song, whistle through your comb. Do a loony-goony dance 'cross the kitchen floor. Put something silly in the world that ain't been there before.
Old 04-08-2012, 06:13 AM
Hero of the Horn

Weird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbbeyRoad View Post
For a while I held the belief that RJ originally meant for Taim to be Demandred's alter ego, but then realized it was entirely too obvious and would come as no surprise, so decided to change his mind at the last minute after book 6 was published and rewrote the character in subsequent books accordingly.
Considering that RJ wrote a third age copy of just about every Forsaken's motivations, I really doubt that Taim's personality was modified or retconned because RJ changed his mind.

Example: Temaile Kinderode is a sadist who scares her partners in crime; A Semirhage wannabe.

(Now if I could just figure out which questions they go to. )

I met you in a past life. You were wrong then, too.
Old 04-08-2012, 06:35 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weird Harold View Post
Example: Temaile Kinderode is a sadist who scares her partners in crime; A Semirhage wannabe.
And Egwene is like Lanfear, but without the staying power.
Old 04-08-2012, 03:32 PM
Hero of the Horn

Weird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonzoTheGreat View Post
And Egwene is like Lanfear, but without the staying power.
Not even close.

(Now if I could just figure out which questions they go to. )

I met you in a past life. You were wrong then, too.