art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7653

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > General "Other" Books Discussion > Your Fiction
User Name
Password

Old 03-10-2012, 07:24 AM
Youngling

Tomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant future
Default Our own story

I just had an idea (which may be rubbish).

Why don't a group of us write a story.

We write 1000 +/- 20 words each. First one of us starts and when he/she/it have written ~1000 words it gets posted as part 1. Writer nr 2 take up the mantle and continue the story, writing his/her/its ~1000 words, and so on.

It could be fun.
It could be bad.
It could be silly.
It could be done.

It would need a minimum of 4 writers.

What do you think?

Edit:
Would be interesting if there were seven writers (7 spokes) and it just turned round and round.
Hm, where did I get that from?
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read. (Marx)

Last edited by Tomp; 03-10-2012 at 08:33 AM.
Old 03-10-2012, 10:40 AM
Elder

Zombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Zombie Sammael

Why not just make it so that anyone who wants can write a chapter? Or, this can be pretty funny when everyone writes a paragraph, or even a sentence - it can go some pretty stupid places. Not sure that's what you were after, but I've tried it that way before. Anyway, I'm in.

Master of the lightnings, rider on the storm,
wearer of a crown of swords, spinner out of fate.
Who thinks he turns the Wheel of Time,
may learn the truth too late.

Light is held before the maw of the infinite void, and all that he is can be seized.

The one who Death has known
Old 03-10-2012, 11:47 AM
Elder

The Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond repute

As am I. So long as it is done by the paragraph (or more). The staggered nature of time on the boards would make anything less either nonsensical or excruciating. Dibs on the penultimate chapter.

Last edited by The Unreasoner; 03-10-2012 at 11:49 AM.
Old 03-10-2012, 01:34 PM
Inbred, Ugly, and Drunk on Corn Liquor

Sei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond repute

As long as there's no drinking, sex, or cussing. I'm against all those things.

www.buckeyestation.com look at it, love it, share it with your friends!
Old 03-10-2012, 01:35 PM
Elder

Zombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sei'taer View Post
As long as there's no drinking, sex, or cussing. I'm against all those things.
Shhhiiince f***in' when?

Light is held before the maw of the infinite void, and all that he is can be seized.

Old 03-10-2012, 02:23 PM
Elder

fdsaf3 has a brilliant futurefdsaf3 has a brilliant futurefdsaf3 has a brilliant futurefdsaf3 has a brilliant futurefdsaf3 has a brilliant futurefdsaf3 has a brilliant futurefdsaf3 has a brilliant futurefdsaf3 has a brilliant futurefdsaf3 has a brilliant futurefdsaf3 has a brilliant futurefdsaf3 has a brilliant future

I'm in. My contribution to the story will be a mathematician named Frederique who is lost inside his local grocery store trying to find panko bread crumbs.
Old 03-10-2012, 03:42 PM
Inbred, Ugly, and Drunk on Corn Liquor

Sei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdsaf3 View Post
I'm in. My contribution to the story will be a mathematician named Frederique who is lost inside his local grocery store trying to find panko bread crumbs.
Does he have a shitty roommate? Uh, I mean a crummy roommate?

www.buckeyestation.com look at it, love it, share it with your friends!
Old 03-10-2012, 03:59 PM
Youngling

Tomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant future

Any preferences concerning types of setting and so on?
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read. (Marx)
Old 03-10-2012, 05:03 PM
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomp View Post
Any preferences concerning types of setting and so on?
I think we should just see where the wind takes us.

Old 03-10-2012, 05:16 PM
Youngling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Sammael View Post
Anyone who wants to go first and establish some of those things?

I can do it if no one else wants to, but I prefer to be second or third.
Old 03-10-2012, 05:35 PM
Elder

The Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know. I think Your thread, Your game: You begin. You can take a second turn if you'd like though.
Old 03-10-2012, 06:01 PM
Youngling

Ok, I'll start.

The thing won't be up for a day or so though.
Old 03-10-2012, 06:14 PM
Hero of the Horn

Dragon Thief has a reputation beyond reputeDragon Thief has a reputation beyond reputeDragon Thief has a reputation beyond reputeDragon Thief has a reputation beyond reputeDragon Thief has a reputation beyond reputeDragon Thief has a reputation beyond reputeDragon Thief has a reputation beyond reputeDragon Thief has a reputation beyond reputeDragon Thief has a reputation beyond reputeDragon Thief has a reputation beyond reputeDragon Thief has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Dragon Thief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Sammael View Post
If 'taer is involved, you don't want anything to do with his wind. You've been warned.
Old 03-10-2012, 07:17 PM
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon Thief View Post
If 'taer is involved, you don't want anything to do with his wind. You've been warned.
Oh. Oh yes, you're right.

Old 03-11-2012, 12:56 AM
Elder

fdsaf3 has a brilliant futurefdsaf3 has a brilliant futurefdsaf3 has a brilliant futurefdsaf3 has a brilliant futurefdsaf3 has a brilliant futurefdsaf3 has a brilliant futurefdsaf3 has a brilliant futurefdsaf3 has a brilliant futurefdsaf3 has a brilliant futurefdsaf3 has a brilliant futurefdsaf3 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sei'taer View Post
Does he have a shitty roommate? Uh, I mean a crummy roommate?
Probably. In fact, I'd wager heavily that our poor mathematician has given slightly worrying levels of thought about how to poison his roommate.
Old 03-11-2012, 07:29 AM
Youngling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon Thief View Post
He eats a lot of beans or what?
Old 03-11-2012, 09:19 AM
Youngling

Default ??????? (title unknown as of yet)

"????????"

by various fanatics (in theory)

The stink was horrific.
The prison was full of unspeakable remains from its previous inhabitants.
Luca sat in a corner and watched the other prisoners. They all sat quiet as well. When is it my turn to be led out and tortured, he thought. The guards had started to torture some of the prisoners in their quest for answers. The screams from the last time someone was collected by the guards had ended some time ago. Luca had no idea why he was in this prison. He had just been buying some baking spices for master Stamm at Nedinas place. They had stormed in and arrested everyone there. They all sat here in this place, except for the two who'd been led away for interrogation.
He took in the dark room again. It was a square room, six pases across, stone walls and an iron door. The only light coming in was daylight from the lattice at the top of one wall and the light from torches through an opening in the door. Outside the door were the prison guards with their shock sticks. They had bludgeoned prisoners, two times so far, for being too rowdy. One of the other prisoners walked over to Luca.
“What do you want”, Luca asked quietly.
“I have a request to ask of you”, the stranger whispered.
Luca stayed silent.
“In case I don't make it, you've got to take a message to countess de'Lidra or her senior officers”.
“But I'm just a bakers assistant”, Luca protested, “they'd never meet with me”.
“Nevertheless you will try in case I fail”.
Luca nodded reluctantly.
“I had hoped we'd been rescued by now. I can't wait any longer. I'm going to make a run for it the next time they open the door.”
“But that's impossible”, Luca protested.
“Perhaps it is, but I'm going to give it a try.”
The stranger shifted position slightly so that he could whisper even more quietly.
“If someone comes looking for Arond, say that you have the information they seek.”
"What is the information, what should I say”, Luca asked.
“The message is that Kargon has the keystone, but don't give them the information until you are certain that it's the countess people."

A short while later Arond seized his chance and made it passed the first three guard before he was overwhelmed by kicks and shock sticks. It looked like Arond wouldn't meet his freedom before he met his death.
Luca settled back at his spot and wondered if the rescue would come or if he would face the same end as Arond and the others.
He prayed to the peacebringer that the rescue would come. Soon.
Old 03-11-2012, 10:25 AM
Elder

Okay, I'll go next.

Ordinarily, there was no way Jasind would have seen a client after hours. Ordinarily, he'd have told them to go to the Warmaker if they bothered him as he was heading home for the night. But then, ordinarily his clients weren't clearly distressed, weeping women. Expensively dressed, distressed, weeping women.

He ushered the woman - no, girl, she was much younger than he'd first thought - off the rain-soaked street, into his office on the first floor. He placed a reassuring arm around her and showed her to the seat in front of his desk.

"They said you were good," she sobbed, "They said I could trust you."

That much was true at least. Jasind was the best there was in the city. Unfortunately for him, he was also the most honourable, and not given to taking the bribes and making the murky deals that the other Freelance Manhunters would, just to get ahead. That was why he was in this part of town, rather than up in the Heights.

He leaned forward over the desk. Unfortunately, his notesmith Lucina had already gone home, or he'd have asked her to make some tea while he tried to calm the girl down. "Calm down, my dear," he said, doing his best to be soothing. "Why don't you tell me your name?"

Peacebringer be blessed, she stopped crying. "It's Ariella." She said, relaxing a little.

"And what can I do for you, Ariella?"

"It's my betrothed," she said, "He's disappeared."

Jasind leaned back in his chair. This was a story he'd heard before. "Ariella, I hate to be the one to tell you this, sweeteyes, but he's probably just got cold feet and run off."

"You don't understand." The girl said. "No-one else knows."

"Knows what?"

"That we were to be married."

Jasind breathed out. This had gone from simple to murky in no time flat. "How's that, sweeteyes?" He asked, "Goldborn girl like you, getting married without even your family's involvement?"

"He was brassborn." She said. Murkier and murkier by the minute. "I couldn't tell them, but I was - we'd - I was in love with him!" She finally managed, then started sobbing again.

"Okay," he said. His initial assessment changed slightly. If the guy had been Goldborn or even Silverborn, he'd still have thought it was just cold feet. But a Brassborn running away from marriage to a Goldborn woman? That was just crazy. Things just kept getting murkier. "Why don't you tell me a bit about this guy, sweeteyes?"

"Like what?"

"Like his name. How you met. Anything you think might be important."

"Okay," she stopped crying again. "His name's Luca. He works in the bakery my House gets bread from. Sometimes we order sweetrolls and cakes from them as well, for parties and the like. The day we met, mother had asked me to go and order a large cake for a ball that evening. The minute I saw him, I knew we were for each other. It sounds silly, but it was the way he ran his fingers through the dough he was kneading. It was just so... thorough, and caring."

She carried on like that, about how this guy Luca was the sweetest, caring-est, nicest baker's assistant that ever lived. Jasind just sat and listened. Ariella wasn't the first Goldborn girl to fall for a Commonborn man, and nor would she be the last. But Jasind had a soft spot for young women in distress. He made up his mind to check it out. Finally, she ran out of puff. "Okay. I'll check it out." He said.

"Oh, thank you! Thank you!" She burst out.

"Just one thing. You say no-one else knew about the engagement, right?" She nodded. "So it was just you two?" She nodded again, then opened her mouth as if to speak. "I need to know, Sweeteyes."

"I told my best friend."

Ah-ha, Jasind thought. "What's her name?" He asked.

"Anyara." She paused. "Anyara de'Lidra."

Jasind whistled. Anyara de'Lidra was the daughter of Countess de'Lidra, the ruler of the city. This was starting to look very murky indeed.

ETA: The one thing we probably should agree on is how long we want this to be. There are five of us, so it should definitely be a multiple of five chapters/sections each (I may have got carried away and broken my own rule about paragraphs, but having had a go, I think chapters is better) so as TU can get the penultimate chapter as he desires. Is five chapters each enough?

Last edited by Zombie Sammael; 03-11-2012 at 04:03 PM.
Old 03-11-2012, 01:34 PM
Elder

I was thinking more like 2-3 each. But yeah, I'll take every 4th. 4 is my favorite number. And I like what I see so far...at first it looks like a case of wrongplace/wrongtime, but then a more sinister story begins to emerge. (it is fantasy, right?)
Old 03-11-2012, 01:42 PM
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Unreasoner View Post
I was thinking more like 2-3 each. But yeah, I'll take every 4th. 4 is my favorite number. And I like what I see so far...at first it looks like a case of wrongplace/wrongtime, but then a more sinister story begins to emerge. (it is fantasy, right?)
It's fantasy, but I wasn't sure where to go from Tomp's start, then a little voice whispered "changing the genre to film noir would be funny", so that's what I did. But it's still fantasy, just with a dash of noir now.