art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7611

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > WHEEL OF TIME FORUMS > General Wheel of Time Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 03-11-2012, 12:27 PM
Youngling

Seth Baker is a glorious beacon of lightSeth Baker is a glorious beacon of lightSeth Baker is a glorious beacon of lightSeth Baker is a glorious beacon of lightSeth Baker is a glorious beacon of lightSeth Baker is a glorious beacon of light
Default How many copies of the series have you bought?

I have been thinking recently about exactly how much money I've spent on the Wheel of Time. To the best of my recollection, here's all of the copies I've owned:

Eye of the World:
  • Trade Paperback
  • Mass-market Paperback
  • Hardcover
  • Mass-market Library Binding
  • Kindle Edition
  • iBook Edition
  • Audiobook CD

The Great Hunt, The Dragon Reborn, The Shadow Rising, The Fires of Heaven, Lord of Chaos, A Crown of Swords, Winter's Heart:
  • Mass-market Paperback
  • Mass-market Library Binding
  • Kindle Edition
  • iBook Edition

The Path of Daggers, Crossroads of Twilight, Knife of Dreams
  • Hardcover
  • Kindle Edition
  • iBook Edition

The Gathering Storm, Towers of Midnight
  • Hardcover
  • Kindle Edition

New Spring
  • Hardcover

...so, by that count, A Memory of Light will be my 50th purchased copy of The Wheel of Time! Oh, and I have the old school computer game too, for what it's worth.

So how about the rest of you? I'm sure many of you have sunk absurd amounts of money into the series, just like I have. Who has the most?
Old 03-11-2012, 12:36 PM
Elder

Zombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Zombie Sammael

I have the Orbit slipcase TEOTW, and a copy of Legends (the anthology in which the short story version of New Spring was published). Other than that, I have bought each book in the series exactly once. I also used to own the BWB, but disposed of it.

Master of the lightnings, rider on the storm,
wearer of a crown of swords, spinner out of fate.
Who thinks he turns the Wheel of Time,
may learn the truth too late.

Light is held before the maw of the infinite void, and all that he is can be seized.

The one who Death has known
Old 03-11-2012, 02:19 PM
Elder

Lupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud of

Pre-floods I had TEotW-WH in DKS Orbit covers and CoT-ToM in Orbit Wheel-and-Serpent. I had TPoD, ACoS, LoC, and TGH in Wheel-and-Serpent too, as well as an extra TEotW DKS Orbit for loaning.
Of course, all that went -

- but 2 days after the floods, David bought me 3 DKS from one of the few stores in my town that actually sells them. I have been slowly collecting back up again since then and now have up to WH in DKS again, with CoT as a wheel-and-serpent. I diverted some funds to some Fallon books as they are damned hard to find here. I have two copies of the limited ed hardcover TEotW, as Book Depository packed the first one so poorly that it got gouged badly. I won a Tor DKS (A Tor! I was so gleeful!) in the Tor TEotW Sweeps - they failed to exclude people outside the USA... I JUMPED on that mofo.
I also have Kindle and Mobi formats of the complete set, mostly for the fan covers
I have stated elsewhere that my intention is to have one set each of small DKS Orbit, large DKS Orbit, small W+S Orbit, large W+S Orbit, DKS Tor, trad eBooks, fancover eBooks, fancover paperbacks, and whatever limited edition ones they release. After seeing the French covers here the other day, I kind of want them too.

"Yeah, but obviously the Great Serpent doesn't have an actual corpse which would be of any help in strangling Rand al'Thor; for a start, if there was an actual serpent encircling the world, it would be monumentally huge, and trying to strangle someone with it would lead more to a sort of crushing." - Zombie Sammael

Selective Necrophiliac
Old 03-11-2012, 03:16 PM
Elder

Zombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Zombie Sammael

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupusdeusest View Post
Pre-floods I had TEotW-WH in DKS Orbit covers and CoT-ToM in Orbit Wheel-and-Serpent. I had TPoD, ACoS, LoC, and TGH in Wheel-and-Serpent too, as well as an extra TEotW DKS Orbit for loaning.
Of course, all that went -

- but 2 days after the floods, David bought me 3 DKS from one of the few stores in my town that actually sells them. I have been slowly collecting back up again since then and now have up to WH in DKS again, with CoT as a wheel-and-serpent. I diverted some funds to some Fallon books as they are damned hard to find here. I have two copies of the limited ed hardcover TEotW, as Book Depository packed the first one so poorly that it got gouged badly. I won a Tor DKS (A Tor! I was so gleeful!) in the Tor TEotW Sweeps - they failed to exclude people outside the USA... I JUMPED on that mofo.
I also have Kindle and Mobi formats of the complete set, mostly for the fan covers
I have stated elsewhere that my intention is to have one set each of small DKS Orbit, large DKS Orbit, small W+S Orbit, large W+S Orbit, DKS Tor, trad eBooks, fancover eBooks, fancover paperbacks, and whatever limited edition ones they release. After seeing the French covers here the other day, I kind of want them too.
Every time you write "DKS" I think you mean Dick King-Smith instead of Darrell K Sweet.

Master of the lightnings, rider on the storm,
wearer of a crown of swords, spinner out of fate.
Who thinks he turns the Wheel of Time,
may learn the truth too late.

Light is held before the maw of the infinite void, and all that he is can be seized.

The one who Death has known
Old 03-11-2012, 03:17 PM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Terez

TEOTW - I've lost several mmpbs of this one to lending, and I have no idea how many. As of now I have one mmpb, one trade, and one hardcover, and I'll probably purchase the new trade when it comes out.

TGH - One trade, one hardcover. Never had an mmpb for this one. People who return the mmpb for the first one generally also return the others because they want to read them (I loan them one at a time). Will also buy the new trade for this one.

TDR - one mmpb, one trade, one hardcover. Will buy new trade, which will be the last one to come out for a while (they're starting with 1-3).

TSR - One mmpb, one hardcover. Really looking forward to the trades coming out for these, because my mmpb has been falling apart for a while.

TFOH - One mmpb, one hardcover. (Have replaced the mmpb.)

LOC - One mmpb, one hardcover, which I got in a used book store and later discovered (thanks to Harriet pointing it out) that it was signed by RJ.

ACOS - One mmpb, one hardcover.

TPOD - One mmpb, one hardcover.

WH - One mmpb, one hardcover (my first WoT hardcover, by the way).

COT - One mmpb, one hardcover. Have replaced both, so I bought two copies of each. Zae got a good deal on the hardbacks and shared, so I was happy to replace the tattered copy, which I donated to a friend.

KOD - one mmpb, one hardcover. Have replaced both, again, and the hardcover twice. Actually, there's a story here. I ordered it from Amazon, but this was just after Hurricane Katrina, so our post was slow, and I drove an hour north to buy it at a bookstore on release day, and so I had two copies. Both of them fell apart. One of them, I sent to Frenzy to be sacrificed for the WoT Genome Project, which ended up being rather unnecessary, but oh well. When the other copy started falling apart, I gave it to a friend of mine, and bought a new one.

TGS - One mmpb, one hardcover.

TOM - One mmpb, one hardcover.

NS - One copy.

Total: At least 35 copies purchased so far, not counting the BWB, graphic novels, etc. or the uncounted replacement copies of TEOTW.
Old 03-11-2012, 03:23 PM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupusdeusest View Post
I feel your pain, except that when my house was flooded, all my WoT books were on the very top shelf of a very heavy bookcase, near the ceiling, so they survived. I lost my VHS collection of DBZ, though, and a bunch of other books...most sadly, my signed yearbooks from school.
Old 03-11-2012, 05:04 PM
Elder

sleepinghour has a reputation beyond reputesleepinghour has a reputation beyond reputesleepinghour has a reputation beyond reputesleepinghour has a reputation beyond reputesleepinghour has a reputation beyond reputesleepinghour has a reputation beyond reputesleepinghour has a reputation beyond reputesleepinghour has a reputation beyond reputesleepinghour has a reputation beyond reputesleepinghour has a reputation beyond reputesleepinghour has a reputation beyond repute

I have:
  • The Swedish edition of TEotW, TGH, and TDR in hardcover. They've been collecting dust in the basement for 15+ years now, but I don't have the heart to get rid of them.
  • US edition of TEotW-LoC and NS in paperback. Most of them are falling apart, so I'll probably replace them with Tor's upcoming reprint.
  • US edition of ACoS-ToM in hardcover.
  • The BWB.
  • The Legends anthology where New Spring originally appeared.
  • Orbit's limited edition of TEotW with slipcase.
  • Kindle edition of TEotW-ToM.

Wishlist:
  • AMoL, of course!
  • The Hungarian edition of Winter's Heart with Nynaeve on the cover. Maybe the Moiraine one too.
  • The Japanese edition since I like many of the covers and the books also seem to have interior illustrations.
  • The uncorrected proofs. I found someone willing to part with his collection for $100 a book, which is much less than what the copies on eBay are selling for, but still more than I can justify spending on them. So I might just get one copy to see what it looks like. Still haven't decided which (the seller's collection goes up to TFoH).
Old 03-11-2012, 08:36 PM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepinghour View Post
  • The Legends anthology where New Spring originally appeared.
That's one of the things I lost in the flood.
Old 03-11-2012, 08:41 PM
Elder

Lupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terez View Post
I feel your pain, except that when my house was flooded, all my WoT books were on the very top shelf of a very heavy bookcase, near the ceiling, so they survived. I lost my VHS collection of DBZ, though, and a bunch of other books...most sadly, my signed yearbooks from school.
We would have had another dayor two's warning had they not suddenly decided to do a dam release during the king tide. We knew we'd flood, but without the release, it would have been later and about a meter lower, meaning some stuff at least would have survived.
ToM did float the length of the house, from my study into the kitchen, though. Most impressive.

"Yeah, but obviously the Great Serpent doesn't have an actual corpse which would be of any help in strangling Rand al'Thor; for a start, if there was an actual serpent encircling the world, it would be monumentally huge, and trying to strangle someone with it would lead more to a sort of crushing." - Zombie Sammael

Selective Necrophiliac
Old 03-12-2012, 12:38 AM
Elder

Wunderwaffe has a spectacular aura aboutWunderwaffe has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Wunderwaffe

Entire series in hard and soft cover, including New Spring and TBWB.
Old 03-12-2012, 08:08 AM
Hero of the Horn

WinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to WinespringBrother

Just a few...

Tor Hardback: TFOH, LOC, WH, NS, KOD, TGS, TofM (I foolishly loaned out my signed COT and never got it back), some in barely readable condition due to broken spine syndrome.

Orbit limited Hardback: TEOTW

Tor Paperback: all but TGS (multiples of TEOTW, TSR and TFOH)

Legends with New Spring

Audio: All (this saves wear and tear on all the rest lol)

New Spring graphic novel and comics
TEOTW comics

BWB

RPG rules

"Oh, y'all [Theorylanders] are awesome with awesome sauce, but you ask a lot of tricky questions. I had to watch myself with you guys." - Maria

"I need to RAFO more things, I'm not being very Robert Jordan..." - Brandon
Old 03-12-2012, 09:50 AM
Youngling

Heinz will become famous soon enoughHeinz will become famous soon enough

I must be an odd-ball to only own one copy, in one version, of each book. Paperbacks in books 1-6, and hard covers for each book after (including NS). One can see where the series was when I picked it up and began reading it, and then didn't wait for paperback versions and just bought hard covers upon their release. The paperbacks are not in good shape though, I'll likely be replacing them sometime after AMoL is released, though I was thinking to wait and see if a full set of some sort was released.
Old 03-12-2012, 09:59 AM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

I have paperbacks of tEotW, TGH, TDR and FoH, hardcovers of TSR, LoC - TGS...and extra MMPBs of the first 8 that I've acquired for free or nearly to it over the years. I have 3+ copies in paperback of several of them as I tend to grab them if I see them at used book sales in the 50 cent bin. All the spines of the original paperbacks I have have been retaped/glued though as I first started reading when TSR came out on hardback. At that point, I bought the first three on MMPB and TSR in the original hardback.

They have that really crappy original map on the inside cover.

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Theoryland: Just Some Crazy In A Pot
Old 03-12-2012, 11:47 AM
Elder

greatwolf will become famous soon enoughgreatwolf will become famous soon enough

Gosh, barely got one of each and my TDR mmpb needs to be replaced. Oh yeah, had 2 of EotW but loaned out the other.
Old 03-12-2012, 12:09 PM
Hero of the Horn

Nazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond repute

WH, COT and KOD are orbit hardcovers NS is a TOR paperback and all others are TOR hardcovers.
Lord Captain Commander of Singing Chipmunks
Master of Nazgul Kitchen
Old 03-12-2012, 12:45 PM
Hero of the Horn

SauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to SauceyBlueConfetti

Heh. Full hardcover set plus one extra Gathering Storm autographed.

Another full hardcover set up to Crown of Swords that is sort of a mini size as it came through the sci if book club.

One full set of paperbacks plus two extra Fires of Heaven as those FELL APART and had to be replaced. One exta EotW, different cover.

One hardcover New Spring, one paperback.

One hard cover Legends sent by a London friend. One paperback.

One Each paperback of From the Two Rivers and To the Blight.

One BWB

One D&D book

A set of the trading cards

EotW has been purchased and given in paperback to 4 people. Legends was gifted to a friend too..

The first three paperbacks were my intro to the series and were a gift from a friend.
Yeah. Murderous Saucey. My superhero name
I am Detroit. You REALLY wanna call me wimpy?
Haphazardly Spell & Fact Checked Since June 2001
Old 03-12-2012, 12:48 PM
Youngling

Seth Baker is a glorious beacon of lightSeth Baker is a glorious beacon of lightSeth Baker is a glorious beacon of lightSeth Baker is a glorious beacon of lightSeth Baker is a glorious beacon of lightSeth Baker is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by SauceyBlueConfetti View Post
Heh. Full hardcover set plus one extra Gathering Storm autographed.

Another full hardcover set up to Crown of Swords that is sort of a mini size as it came through the sci if book club.

One full set of paperbacks plus two extra Fires of Heaven as those FELL APART and had to be replaced. One exta EotW, different cover.

One hardcover New Spring, one paperback.

One hard cover Legends sent by a London friend. One paperback.

One Each paperback of From the Two Rivers and To the Blight.

One BWB

One D&D book

A set of the trading cards

EotW has been purchased and given in paperback to 4 people. Legends was gifted to a friend too..

The first three paperbacks were my intro to the series and were a gift from a friend.
So, if I'm right, you're at 47 in possession; 51 overall? Nice!

Are the mini hardcovers the DKS cover art, and normal mass-market paperback size?
Old 03-12-2012, 12:48 PM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

I forgot to list that I do have an original BWB as well as the NS novella and full length novels. I haven't opend the BWB in probably 5 years though.

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Old 03-12-2012, 12:51 PM
Youngling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davian93 View Post
I forgot to list that I do have an original BWB as well as the NS novella and full length novels. I haven't opend the BWB in probably 5 years though.
I've always held off on picking up a BWB in the hope that they'll release another, more comprehensive one after AMOL.
Old 03-12-2012, 12:54 PM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth Baker View Post
I've always held off on picking up a BWB in the hope that they'll release another, more comprehensive one after AMOL.
When I bought it 14-15 years ago I thought the series was almost over...