art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7611

Logged In (1): ShadowbaneX,

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > General "Other" Books Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 03-12-2012, 11:00 AM
Elder

The Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond repute
Default Dune and WoT

So, as many people have noted before me, there are a shitton of similarities between Dune and WoT. (the first few. The rest...a bit of lazy writing)

But honestly, the similarities are so apparent and many that I think RJ flat out lied when he said he hadn't done it intentionally.

I mean, Bene Geserrit/Aes Sedai, Fremen/Aiel, Fedaykin/Siswai-aman, Arrakis/Three-fold Land, Kwisatz Haderach/Dragon Reborn, Lisan al-Gaib/Car'a'carn Melange/Power and withdrawal/severing. Paul/Rand even gets blinded.

From Dune:
Quote:
Paul raised his voice: “Observe her, comrades! This is a Bene Gesserit Reverend Mother, patient in a patient cause. She could wait with her sisters—ninety generations for the proper combination of genes and environment to produce the one person their schemes required. Observe her! She knows now that the ninety generations have produced that person. Here I stand... but... I ... will ... never... do ... her... bidding!”
Was RJ lying? If so, is there some hint in Dune for the ending of WoT he wanted to hide?
Old 03-12-2012, 11:17 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Unreasoner View Post
Was RJ lying? If so, is there some hint in Dune for the ending of WoT he wanted to hide?
Maybe Egwene is secretly Paul's ... ehr, I mean ... Rand's sister, and she'll rule as regent until his children are mature enough to be taken seriously. Then in the next series, she'll go mad as a result of strange memories that were inserted into her mind when ...

You may be on to something here.
Old 03-12-2012, 12:19 PM
Youngling

finn will become famous soon enough

^ Heh, the ending could have Rand "dying" so Egwene takes over command of those who would follow him only for him to come back and undermine her authority, causing her to jump from the tower. Thom then strums on his harp and produces the proper quotation for the event. Mat is sent off to Seanchan to turn the empire's remnants into a peaceful place full of gentle things. Perrin has Aram resurrected as a Gholam. There may even be a scheme to rid the Blight of worms.

Another WoT-Dune similarity that deserves mention:

Chani/Aviendha who makes a trip (hajra/Rhuidean) to become sayyadina/Wise One apprentice and sees her own future (Waters of Life/Rings ter'angreal), in love with Paul/Rand which initially makes her afraid, not to mention having children with him who are unusual.
Old 03-13-2012, 02:00 PM
Hero of the Horn

Mort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Mort

*the sound of a mind being blown*

I've never even considered the similarities between Dune and WoT. Thanks a lot!

Speaking of Dune. Did anyone enjoy the sequals to Dune? I've tried started reading the second book but I stop 50 pages in or so. If I'm supposed to know who those ppl they are mentioning and the objects and events they talk of, I have clearly forgotten them. It seems very dense, in no way in a positive fashion

"I discovered at an early age that if I talk long enough, I can make anything right or wrong. So either I am God, or truth is relative." - Jeff Winger, Community
----------

We rode on the winds of the rising storm, we ran to the sounds of thunder.
We danced among the lighting bolts, and tore the world asunder.

Old 03-14-2012, 04:00 PM
Elder

Figbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant future

I read them, but it was a long time ago, and I remember my mind being pretty mashed by the time I got to book six. And I have some vague recollection of thinking it might be good to read them in reverse order. I expect I will read them again at some time.

I'd never thought of the similarities, but then I read the Dune series way before WoT, and I was probably only 14 or 15 at the time.

ETA: And now I want to read them again just to see. And maybe in reverse order...
Old 03-19-2012, 03:36 PM
Hero of the Horn

Matoyak is a glorious beacon of lightMatoyak is a glorious beacon of lightMatoyak is a glorious beacon of lightMatoyak is a glorious beacon of lightMatoyak is a glorious beacon of lightMatoyak is a glorious beacon of lightMatoyak is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mort View Post
*the sound of a mind being blown*

I've never even considered the similarities between Dune and WoT. Thanks a lot!

Speaking of Dune. Did anyone enjoy the sequels to Dune? I've tried started reading the second book but I stop 50 pages in or so. If I'm supposed to know who those ppl they are mentioning and the objects and events they talk of, I have clearly forgotten them. It seems very dense, in no way in a positive fashion
I loved the first two books...got to the third book, and couldn't get past the first full chapter. Something changed, dunno whether it was the writing or me, but it became impossible to read at book 3 for me. I've reread the first one, and enjoyed it in the time since, so... ~shrug~

EDIT: I read Dune after WoT, and didn't notice much of similarities, but then I wasn't really looking for 'em.

[Gawyn] probably pops his collar. - Kivo
Mat's hat is a Darkfriend. - Daekyras

Last edited by Matoyak; 03-19-2012 at 03:38 PM.
Old 03-22-2012, 05:56 PM
Elder

The Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond repute

I read the first one and then posted in one thread, read the next two and started this thread, started to continue but then just stopped. The quality makes a steep drop after #2.

But, the similarities are apparent. I wonder if RJ thought WoT Dune (the original) would be inspired by TSR and TFoH.
Old 03-22-2012, 06:08 PM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Terez

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Unreasoner View Post
Doubt it. He evaded the truth when it came to hiding stuff, but he didn't lie as far as we know. Dune and WoT draw from some of the same sources, hence the similarities in certain respects.
Old 03-22-2012, 06:14 PM
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terez View Post
Doubt it. He evaded the truth when it came to hiding stuff, but he didn't lie as far as we know. Dune and WoT draw from some of the same sources, hence the similarities in certain respects.
lol. Like I said, maybe in RJ's mind, in the WoT universe, Dune was based on WoT.

I love circular time...