art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7611

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > WHEEL OF TIME FORUMS > General Wheel of Time Discussion
User Name
Password

View Poll Results: Egwene?
Egwene is made of awesome. 12 11.88%
Egwene is pretty cool. 35 34.65%
Meh. 25 24.75%
Egwene sucks. 16 15.84%
Egwene should die in a fire. 13 12.87%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-14-2012, 12:05 AM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Terez
Default Egwene Quarantine (that doesn't rhyme)

So I figured we needed a new thread. (See rules.) (See previous Egwene threads.) Also, vote. Just because everyone is curious. Tell us how you really feel. (Again.)
Old 03-14-2012, 08:06 AM
Hero of the Horn

Nazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond repute

I went with the sucks option. The early Egwene should die in a fire and the current Egwene is pretty cool and might be bordering on made of awesome if there weren't still some echoes of the early Egwene and if Rand hadn't raised the standards of "made of awesome" before passing beyond it to the "so great you can't measure it" territory.

In TEOTW Egwene is selfish, shallow, childish, proverbially overconfident and wilfully blind/stupid. She gets better book by book so that in TDR she shouldn't die in a fire anymore and just sucks, though she sucks so badly even TSR Moiraine thinks she's annoying and we can trust her opinion since she is so cool she had to be removed from the series for six books so she wouldn't actually become cooler than Mat which only Rand is allowed to do.

When Egwene is raised Amyrlin she goes into the Meh territory and in KOD she slowly upgrades to the pretty cool, but even though she tries hard in TGS and TOM she won't be made of awesome unless she meets her toh to Rand/Mat/Perrin for being the way she is in the first six books.

So that's two books of "should die in a fire", three and a half of "sucks", five of "Meh" and two and a half of "pretty cool". You could argue that one "pretty cool" and one "sucks" is the same as two "Meh" so it would become two "should die in a fire", one "sucks" and ten "Meh", but one "should die in a fire" and one "Meh" are not necessarily two "sucks". In my opinion "sould die in a fire" and "made of awesome" would cancel eachother into "Meh" but "pretty cool" and "sucks" are not the exact midway points from "Meh" to "made of awesome"/"should die in a fire". I'm not sure of the exact numbers but let's assume that two "Meh" and one "should die in a fire" are the same as three "sucks", then the two "should die in a fire", one "sucks" and ten "Meh" becomes seven "sucks" and six "Meh". You can of course disagree with me on that last bit, but I ask you to bear in mind that if your definitions of the scale are considerably different from mine you should also adjust the starting values I gave to you.

If for example you consider that one "should die in a fire" and one "Meh" would be the same as two "sucks" you would have to change some of my "pretty cool"s and "sucks"s into "Meh"s making the area of "Meh" bigger and my opinion should then be defined as "Meh" bordering on "sucks" instead of "sucks" bordering on "Meh" OR some of my "sucks"s should be changed to "should die in a fire"s and one "pretty cool" to "made of awesome" (I can accept that some of you would define my opinion of TOM Egwene as "made of awesome", but not TGS Egwene and certainly not any Egwene before that) the result being somewhere between firmly "sucks" and "sucks" bordering on "Meh"

Hope you all now know my personal and potentially meaningless opinion on Egwene as a character.
Lord Captain Commander of Singing Chipmunks
Master of Nazgul Kitchen
Old 03-14-2012, 08:19 AM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Burn baby burn

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Theoryland: Just Some Crazy In A Pot
Old 03-14-2012, 08:49 AM
Hero of the Horn

yks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond repute

Egwene is brilliant and that's that.

A bit of an aside though, I had a weird revelation on Gawyn the other day: there are some parallels to be drawn between Gawyn and Galad with Gawyn being a softer version of Galad. They both have a very strict understanding of what to do with situations and people that don't conform to "right". Except where Galad can clearly identify what is right (well, from his point of view anyway), Gawyn cannot even begin. Just look at chapter 23 of tGH when the inner monologue goes from Elaida being a bad Amyrlin to the Rebels being wrong in opposing Elaida in the first place to raging at Rand for killing Morgase (and subsequent rabid reaction to Bryne suggesting that if true, that was probably for the best) to slight worry for Elayne to huge worry for Egwene.

Now, if it was Galad, he would be heading STRAIGHT to Caemlyn as soon as he heard that Elayne was there. Then again, if he was galad, he never would have defected fromthe Younglings in the first place. Except maybe if he heard that Elayne was in Caemlyn.

As rabid as Galad is, I wish RJ had ditched Gawyn and kept Galad and his initial infatuation with Egwene (instead of world's prettiest couple Berelad). No harm done to the main storyline, really and the tension Whictecloaks-White Tower being healed by loooooove would make a whole lot more sense than whatever's going to happen now.

Bonded to JWB

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
-- Winston Churchill

Last edited by yks 6nnetu hing; 03-14-2012 at 08:51 AM.
Old 03-14-2012, 09:19 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by yks 6nnetu hing View Post
As rabid as Galad is, I wish RJ had ditched Gawyn and kept Galad and his initial infatuation with Egwene (instead of world's prettiest couple Berelad). No harm done to the main storyline, really and the tension Whictecloaks-White Tower being healed by loooooove would make a whole lot more sense than whatever's going to happen now.
But Berelain is just an innocent temporary diversion while Galad is on the road. Didn't you know that?

There's clear foretelling about this. I think that the wedding will be performed on the Field of Merrilor, though I do not (yet) know which of the three ta'veren will be the one to conduct the ceremony.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDR, Chapter 32, The First Ship
"I don't know why you might think that," Thom said dryly. "Next you could try telling the Lord Captain Commander of the Whitecloaks he should marry the Amyrlin Seat."
Rand is the highest ranking ta'veren, obviously, but Mat is specifically mentioned in the relevant prophecy. And Perrin actually set a precedent, when he married off Galad's mother. So each of the three has qualifications for this. Since I don't know the actual rules for marriages between the AS and the LCotW, I can't say how the various claims to precedence would work out.
Old 03-14-2012, 10:08 AM
Youngling

Heinz will become famous soon enoughHeinz will become famous soon enough

There's actually a line in TGH that I was going to ask about in a separate thread linking the two. I don't have the chapter and page, as I caught it in a 're-listen' (Yes, I know some of you hate Audible's version of the books, but I spend a lot of time on the road these days so these help me stay awake.)

(Gonzo was awesome and found the passage for me.) One of the things she mentions is some kind of link to Galad. Yet so far, from this point on in the books, Egwene has less interest in Galad and more in Gawyn.

Did I miss what fulfilled Min's vision of Egwene and Galad being linked, or has there been speculation of what that link is, considering or despite Egwene and Gawyn at this stage at the end of ToM?

Last edited by Heinz; 03-14-2012 at 11:34 AM.
Old 03-14-2012, 11:18 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

The Answer:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TGH, Chapter 42, Falme
"Stop it!" Min snapped. "You stop it right this instant! If you get shipped off to Seanchan, I'll be right there with you. But I don't think you will. You know I've read you, Egwene. I don't understand most of it – I almost never do – but I see things I am sure link you to Rand, and Perrin, and Mat, and – yes, even Galad, the Light help you for a fool. How can any of that happen if the Seanchan take you off across the ocean?"
Old 03-14-2012, 11:49 AM
Elder

The Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond repute

Am I the only one that found ToM Rand to be beyond annoying? So...sanctimonious.

And perhaps the greatest victories for the haters of Egwene can be seen in historical trends: old and older
Old 03-14-2012, 02:19 PM
Elder

Khoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant future

I've never liked Egwene, but as of right now, I don't think she should die in a fire. Maybe from an explosion, but not by fire. The smell of burning flesh isn't pleasant. Sure, the explosion is messy, but sacrifices must be made.

Life is a dream from which we all must wake before we can dream again.

Al dival, al kiserai, al mashi! - For light, glory, and love!

Carai an manshimaya ayend'an! - Honor of my blade for the fallen.
Old 03-14-2012, 02:20 PM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Unreasoner View Post
Am I the only one that found ToM Rand to be beyond annoying?
It was Moridin.
Old 03-14-2012, 02:43 PM
Youngling

Grig has a brilliant futureGrig has a brilliant futureGrig has a brilliant futureGrig has a brilliant futureGrig has a brilliant futureGrig has a brilliant futureGrig has a brilliant futureGrig has a brilliant futureGrig has a brilliant futureGrig has a brilliant futureGrig has a brilliant future

Quote:
It was Moridin.
I think he's referring to Zen Rand, actually. If that's Moridin, I missed an interesting theory :-). Moridin was tGS!Rand. I actually rather like when we get into Moridin's head.
Old 03-14-2012, 03:25 PM
Elder

Zombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Zombie Sammael

Thank God the old Egwene thread was closed. I just realised I agree with Res about something.

SEE WHAT I MEANT ABOUT A PART OF MY SOUL DYING????

(just kidding Res. You've got me on ignore anyway)

Master of the lightnings, rider on the storm,
wearer of a crown of swords, spinner out of fate.
Who thinks he turns the Wheel of Time,
may learn the truth too late.

Light is held before the maw of the infinite void, and all that he is can be seized.

The one who Death has known
Old 03-14-2012, 04:26 PM
Elder

The Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Sammael View Post
Thank God the old Egwene thread was closed. I just realised I agree with Res about something.

SEE WHAT I MEANT ABOUT A PART OF MY SOUL DYING????

(just kidding Res. You've got me on ignore anyway)
You might not want to thank God just yet...

Didn't you once say that part of your soul would die if an Egwene-thread got stickied?
Old 03-14-2012, 04:40 PM
Elder

Zombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Zombie Sammael

Quote:
You might not want to thank God just yet...

Didn't you once say that part of your soul would die if an Egwene-thread got stickied?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWAEmG-l9fs

Master of the lightnings, rider on the storm,
wearer of a crown of swords, spinner out of fate.
Who thinks he turns the Wheel of Time,
may learn the truth too late.

Light is held before the maw of the infinite void, and all that he is can be seized.

The one who Death has known
Old 03-14-2012, 04:45 PM
Elder

Khoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Sammael View Post
It was about time, no?

BTW, I haven't listened to a Dream Theater song in ages! Harmonies... *happy sigh*

Old 03-14-2012, 05:48 PM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grig View Post
I think he's referring to Zen Rand, actually. If that's Moridin, I missed an interesting theory :-). Moridin was tGS!Rand. I actually rather like when we get into Moridin's head.
They are still linked. Rand's actions in TGS were mostly influenced by his increasing madness and his use of the True Power, I think. Though Brandon says there are still consequences to come on that point.
Old 03-14-2012, 08:55 PM
Elder

Well, I know they are still linked. I just don't think the 'Rand' that annoyed me was the 'darker' half.

Maybe it's just that ToM was the only book I listened to, and I didn't read it first. And in the audiobook, Rand gives these preachy lines with a weird voice, like his mouth is full of pudding or something. Maybe it was just how the speaker thought she should do a male voice, idk.
Old 03-15-2012, 04:36 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Maybe it's just that ToM was the only book I listened to, and I didn't read it first. And in the audiobook, Rand gives these preachy lines with a weird voice, like his mouth is full of pudding or something. Maybe it was just how the speaker thought she should do a male voice, idk.
Oh, that. That's just Egwene.
Old 03-15-2012, 08:23 AM
Elder

Lupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud of

I've probably stated my views elsewhere, but I feel Egwene is redeeming herself. I can see how differently i would portray such a character, but she has grown on me.

"Yeah, but obviously the Great Serpent doesn't have an actual corpse which would be of any help in strangling Rand al'Thor; for a start, if there was an actual serpent encircling the world, it would be monumentally huge, and trying to strangle someone with it would lead more to a sort of crushing." - Zombie Sammael

Selective Necrophiliac
Old 03-15-2012, 08:57 AM
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupusdeusest View Post
I've probably stated my views elsewhere, but I feel Egwene is redeeming herself. I can see how differently i would portray such a character, but she has grown on me.
You mean like a parasite? Or cancer?

I'm so sorry.

Tags
egwene