art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7611

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > WHEEL OF TIME FORUMS > General Wheel of Time Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 03-16-2012, 05:11 AM
Elder

greatwolf will become famous soon enoughgreatwolf will become famous soon enough
Default Alsalam or Farstrider?

Anyone know who this old man was?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tFoH prologue
"Did someone mention sport?"
Rahvin had not even noticed the opening of a third gateway, showing a large room full of pools and fluted columns, nearly nude acrobats and attendants wearing less. Oddly, a lean old man in a wrinkled coat sat disconsolately among the performers. Two servants in filmy bits of nothing much, a well-muscled man bearing a wrought-gold tray and a beautiful, voluptuous woman anxiously pouring wine from a cut-crystal flagon into a matching goblet on the tray, followed the true arrival before the opening winked out
Certainly not Alsalam. But who?
Old 03-16-2012, 06:02 AM
Hero of the Horn

Ishara has disabled reputation
Send a message via MSN to Ishara

Noal Charin/ Jain Farstrider

Rand: You are an insensitive bastard!!!
Mat: And you ruined another hat!

It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by lightening. -- Calvin

"Gee, I wish I could do magic! Maybe I'll try!" --SDog

Official Vixen of Theoryland and Theoryland Siren

Grain Goddess, the Rood Inverse, the Mad Glomper
Old 03-16-2012, 06:21 AM
Elder

greatwolf will become famous soon enoughgreatwolf will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishara View Post
So now he's demandred?
Old 03-16-2012, 11:32 AM
Elder

The Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishara View Post
Wait, is this true? Definitely not Alsalam or anyone else?
Old 03-16-2012, 11:39 AM
Youngling

Grig has a brilliant futureGrig has a brilliant futureGrig has a brilliant futureGrig has a brilliant futureGrig has a brilliant futureGrig has a brilliant futureGrig has a brilliant futureGrig has a brilliant futureGrig has a brilliant futureGrig has a brilliant futureGrig has a brilliant future

Quote:
It's definitely not Alsalam since Graendal never got her hands on him (the Tower sent an embassy to kidnap him, then they got stuck in the snow). It being Farstrider is an old theory, but there's no other likely candidates and the appearance fits. He has memory problems, leading one to suspect Compulsion (but we already know Ishy was up in his head from tEotW, so it could just be that). If it was him at Graendal's, the big question is why he never tried to kill Mat (and indeed, saved him from the Snakes/Foxes). Unless of course her plans and actions regarding Tuon were actually through Mat, and she was planning to manipulate them through Jain (one of her "strings around the new childlike Empress", and he's not a Darkfriend so it fits her MO). In that case, he would have done as he did despite Compulsion since his earlier experiences had allowed him to develop a way of thinking that would help avoid cognitive missteps that would let the Compulsion kick in.

Last edited by Grig; 03-16-2012 at 12:10 PM.
Old 03-16-2012, 11:39 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Unreasoner View Post
It wasn't Alsalam. We have since found out that Graendal never even had him.
As for anyone else: what other badly-dressed old man would be good enough to meet Graendal's fairly exacting standards?

Maybe Cenn Buie, but apart from him ...
Old 03-16-2012, 01:17 PM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Terez

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonzoTheGreat View Post
It wasn't Alsalam. We have since found out that Graendal never even had him.
I suspect there's something fishy going on there. Incidentally, I argued with Luckers about this before TOM. I said it was Farstrider, he said it was Alsalam. Anyway, it's just a little bit odd that Graendal never had him. The timing seems wrong, for one thing. We know she was already set up in Arad Doman by TSR at the latest, since Asmodean had been to visit her. And while it's possible she let him out of her grasp, it seems unlike her. Not saying it's totally unbelievable. Just that maybe we shouldn't be so quick to take Alsalam at face value. And if Graendal Compelled Farstrider, what exactly did she Compel him to do? Keep an eye on Mat for her?
Old 03-16-2012, 01:53 PM
Youngling

Cortar is a glorious beacon of lightCortar is a glorious beacon of lightCortar is a glorious beacon of lightCortar is a glorious beacon of lightCortar is a glorious beacon of lightCortar is a glorious beacon of lightCortar is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terez View Post
I suspect there's something fishy going on there. Incidentally, I argued with Luckers about this before TOM. I said it was Farstrider, he said it was Alsalam. Anyway, it's just a little bit odd that Graendal never had him. The timing seems wrong, for one thing. We know she was already set up in Arad Doman by TSR at the latest, since Asmodean had been to visit her. And while it's possible she let him out of her grasp, it seems unlike her. Not saying it's totally unbelievable. Just that maybe we shouldn't be so quick to take Alsalam at face value. And if Graendal Compelled Farstrider, what exactly did she Compel him to do? Keep an eye on Mat for her?
I thought of the "things" about Graendal was she never compelled people subtlely. Everytime I hear about her compelling its so much that it turns their mind into mush.
Old 03-16-2012, 02:04 PM
Elder

The Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond repute

Gotta side with terez here.

I mean, she managed to get a hold of Byar, but never gave a thought to Alsalam? I just seems oddly...fortuitous. Not to mention the fact that Jain just hung out with Mat, even when the 'kill Mat' order reached the mass-produced drawing stage.
Old 03-16-2012, 02:15 PM
Youngling

Tomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant future

There's also a possiblity that Alsalam in ToM is not the real Alsalam. Graendal may have compulsed someone else to impersonate him. Although this is a little farfetched, I guess.
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read. (Marx)
Old 03-16-2012, 02:24 PM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomp View Post
There's also a possiblity that Alsalam in ToM is not the real Alsalam. Graendal may have compulsed someone else to impersonate him. Although this is a little farfetched, I guess.
That wouldn't explain why Ituralde recognized him on sight.

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Theoryland: Just Some Crazy In A Pot
Old 03-16-2012, 02:24 PM
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortar View Post
I thought of the "things" about Graendal was she never compelled people subtlely. Everytime I hear about her compelling its so much that it turns their mind into mush.
It is also said that Graendal so often used Compulsion like a hammer that many forget she is very talented in its subtle forms as well.
Old 03-16-2012, 02:50 PM
Youngling

Grig has a brilliant futureGrig has a brilliant futureGrig has a brilliant futureGrig has a brilliant futureGrig has a brilliant futureGrig has a brilliant futureGrig has a brilliant futureGrig has a brilliant futureGrig has a brilliant futureGrig has a brilliant futureGrig has a brilliant future

Quote:
Just that maybe we shouldn't be so quick to take Alsalam at face value.
It's also unbelievable that Rand would take him at face value after suspecting foul play by Graendal (he knows she set up shop early in Arad Doman). There's no way he didn't have a female channeler delve Alsalam for Compulsion residue. He can give step by step instructions, or just have Nynaeve do it.

Quote:
And if Graendal Compelled Farstrider, what exactly did she Compel him to do? Keep an eye on Mat for her?
And Tuon. She does distinctly consider the strings she's surrounding Tuon with before Shaidar Haran finds her.

Quote:
Their minds are only mush if you remove the Compulsion. Which you need to do, since you have no way of knowing what the Compulsion is triggered by or what it will instruct them to do. We've seen people she has Compelled, and while they seem a bit dim they're perfectly capable of functioning normally (if behaving oddly to certain stimuli). For instance, consider the king's nephew or cousin or whatever it was that was sent with the letter to Ituralde saying to drive the Seanchan off. He even had his own motives and everything (granted said motive was to get laid by her, but I say we count it), even though she had messed with his mind.

As far as I'm concerned, the only real problem with the old man being Farstrider is the matter of payoff. How is it useful to the story now that he's dead? Seems like a huge waste of potential. But then, Farstrider's character as a whole suffers from this (I'm still irritated that we didn't learn anything more about how Ishy messed with him, and that was from the first book), so maybe there's more forthcoming.

Last edited by Grig; 03-16-2012 at 03:24 PM.
Old 03-16-2012, 02:54 PM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Terez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grig View Post
It's also unbelievable that Rand would take him at face value after suspecting foul play by Graendal (he knows she set up shop early in Arad Doman). There's no way he didn't have a female channeler delve Alsalam for Compulsion residue. He can give step by step instructions, or just have Nynaeve do it.
An easy thing to assume, but then why not show it on screen? Easier for me to believe that Rand is being clueless as usual.
Old 03-16-2012, 06:49 PM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terez View Post
An easy thing to assume, but then why not show it on screen? Easier for me to believe that Rand is being clueless as usual.
In his defense, Nynaeve isn't available to delve Alsalam and he likely doesnt trust/believe any other AS to do such a delving (if they'd even know how as Nynaeve's abilities are probably elite in that area.

Still, my fear/thought is that Rand is overestimating his new godlike state in being able to "see" evil and is simply missing it with Alsalam.

If Alsalam is completely normal, the entire plotline screams waste of time/stupid addition to me

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Theoryland: Just Some Crazy In A Pot
Old 03-16-2012, 07:43 PM
Elder

I guess I have to agree with Terez too. (is that a bad habit or something). But if its Jain, she might have sent him to find out what the other forsaken, especially Sammael were doing in Ebou Dar. But that would create more questions than answers.

Belasalam?
Old 03-24-2012, 12:16 AM
Elder

Is this a valid question for BS? Or team jordan? O don't think they'll have any reason to RAFO it.
Old 03-26-2012, 01:04 PM
Youngling

It'll likely get RAFOd. Still worth asking, I'd think. Would you be asking if the old man was Farstrider, or whether Alsalam was really free of Compulsion? Either question would sort of answer the other, though, so unless you catch Sanderson unawares he'd probably not be willing to answer for that reason. Graendal has to have something up her sleeve for aMoL, right? Especially if you agree with Terez, the answer would have to be a RAFO.

Maria RAFO'd a question about whether Alsalam was the old man between tGS and ToM, which doesn't really help.
Old 03-27-2012, 08:20 AM
Elder

Why would they RAFO? Both Jain and Graendal are out of the picture for now amnd giving a RAFO only indicates that we are not yet done. Then we can start the theories really rolling
Old 03-27-2012, 11:54 AM
Youngling

Quote:
Both Jain and Graendal are out of the picture for now
What, do you think Shaidar Haran summarily executed Graendal? There's no such thing as "out of the picture" for any Shadow figures that haven't been balefired, considering there is only one book remaining. No time for them to fade into the background for a couple years. Ask anything touching on Graendal's motives, deeds, or pawns and it would likely get RAFOd. But please ask, any new information is always nice.