art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7653

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > General "Other" Books Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 03-16-2012, 09:57 PM
Hero of the Horn

1Powerslave is a splendid one to behold1Powerslave is a splendid one to behold1Powerslave is a splendid one to behold1Powerslave is a splendid one to behold1Powerslave is a splendid one to behold1Powerslave is a splendid one to behold1Powerslave is a splendid one to behold1Powerslave is a splendid one to behold1Powerslave is a splendid one to behold1Powerslave is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via ICQ to 1Powerslave Send a message via MSN to 1Powerslave Send a message via Yahoo to 1Powerslave
Default The Hunger Games

A friend recommended me to read The Hunger Games. I finished all three books in a few days. An easy read, but great idea and setting, great suspense, and while the plot and characters where convoluted at times, it was interesting and moving enough to balance it up. Overall a great read. I recommend!

It will nice to see the movie next week. And I saw that there will be four movies made out of the trilogy. I hope they change the ending of book three cause it wasn't very good. And maybe Katniss will come off a little less heartless, and less mental dithering and recrimination. Peeta could also use a little Hollywood lovin'. Just to round them off a bit.

Also, I found this awesome little piece of fan movie:

HUNGER GAMES: THE SECOND QUARTER QUELL
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mUjssn86h4 (view in HD of course)
A ten minute fan movie of Haymitch time in the Arena. It's a very good, high quality, production. And it had good acting the little there was.

WHY HASN*T THERE BEEN FAN MOVIES LIKE THIS FOR WOT???
Old 03-16-2012, 10:01 PM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

The ending is what makes it a good series IMHO.

Otherwise it would have been a light teen love interest book.

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Theoryland: Just Some Crazy In A Pot
Old 03-16-2012, 10:12 PM
Hero of the Horn

1Powerslave is a splendid one to behold1Powerslave is a splendid one to behold1Powerslave is a splendid one to behold1Powerslave is a splendid one to behold1Powerslave is a splendid one to behold1Powerslave is a splendid one to behold1Powerslave is a splendid one to behold1Powerslave is a splendid one to behold1Powerslave is a splendid one to behold1Powerslave is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via ICQ to 1Powerslave Send a message via MSN to 1Powerslave Send a message via Yahoo to 1Powerslave

What part of the ending?

Spoiler:
I found it a bit anticlimatic (?) that Katniss had no part in bringing down Pres. Snow. And the whole killing children to send Katniss over the edge, I don't know, it just felt off. Must've been easier ways to get rid of her etc. And then Katniss associating Gale with those weapons that killed her sister, yada yada. And why she decided for Peeta in the end, nah, should've been better.
Old 03-17-2012, 12:49 AM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Terez

When I read about the plot, it reminded me of Stephen King's "The Long Walk", written as Bachman. So I googled it to see if anyone else agreed. Turns out King actually reviewed the book. Overall it's a strange review, and it seems he's only plugging it because he appreciated the dark nature of it. And of course...
Quote:
Originally Posted by King
...readers of Battle Royale (by Koushun Takami), The Running Man, or The Long Walk (those latter two by some guy named Bachman) will quickly realize they have visited these TV badlands before.
Old 03-17-2012, 02:23 AM
Hero of the Horn

Frenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Frenzy Send a message via Yahoo to Frenzy

Simpsons did it!!

"How the hell do you Godwin a thread with CUCUMBERS!!?" -- Tru

"I love cucumber prawn... " -- Ivhon

"Have to catch me first. Scared shitless always outruns mad as hell." -- Sinistrum

"Some days I'm happy Frenzy doesn't live next door." -- Tamyrlin

"So Frenzy is a scientist then?" -- Davian
"Well duh. An Evil scientist. " -- Khoram
Old 03-17-2012, 04:37 PM
Hero of the Horn

Ishara has disabled reputation
Send a message via MSN to Ishara

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Powerslave View Post
What part of the ending?

Spoiler:
I found it a bit anticlimatic (?) that Katniss had no part in bringing down Pres. Snow. And the whole killing children to send Katniss over the edge, I don't know, it just felt off. Must've been easier ways to get rid of her etc. And then Katniss associating Gale with those weapons that killed her sister, yada yada. And why she decided for Peeta in the end, nah, should've been better.
Ah, but:
Spoiler:
First, the children were killed by District 13 to discredit Snow, not to send Katniss over the edge. Prim was just collateral damage that helped because she went quietly, which was the concern of District 13 the whole time - how to get rid of her after they had finished using her.

Second, Gale had everything to do with the weapons that killed the kids, and Prim. He *was* the wrong choice for Katniss if she wanted to be able to move on and forget the war. Peeta was the right choice - he adored her in spite of the fact that he knew her flaws. He tempered them - Gale made them worse and brought out the worst in her.

I'll agree with Dav - the ending of the series is what elevated it above the rest of mediocre YF. It's not tidy, it's not necessarily the one people want in their hearts, but it's the *right* ending.

Rand: You are an insensitive bastard!!!
Mat: And you ruined another hat!

It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by lightening. -- Calvin

"Gee, I wish I could do magic! Maybe I'll try!" --SDog

Official Vixen of Theoryland and Theoryland Siren

Grain Goddess, the Rood Inverse, the Mad Glomper
Old 03-18-2012, 12:08 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishara View Post
Ah, but:
Spoiler:
First, the children were killed by District 13 to discredit Snow, not to send Katniss over the edge. Prim was just collateral damage that helped because she went quietly, which was the concern of District 13 the whole time - how to get rid of her after they had finished using her.

Second, Gale had everything to do with the weapons that killed the kids, and Prim. He *was* the wrong choice for Katniss if she wanted to be able to move on and forget the war. Peeta was the right choice - he adored her in spite of the fact that he knew her flaws. He tempered them - Gale made them worse and brought out the worst in her.

I'll agree with Dav - the ending of the series is what elevated it above the rest of mediocre YF. It's not tidy, it's not necessarily the one people want in their hearts, but it's the *right* ending.
Well, speaking of mediocre YF.

Spoiler:
I think that Katniss killing the leader of 13 in front of everyone in a temper tantrum and then getting off the hook completely is just that. No, that's actually worse than mediocre.

Discredit Snow, okay, not really necessary since they were ten minutes away from arresting him, but maybe it was needed for the Capital citizens to get more on the rebels side.

Sure, Gale had the idea for the weapons that killed Prim, but why the need to make the association? There was a lot of what ifs, whining, self recriminations and wrong associations made by Katniss.

I'll agree that now that Gale made a career in the army he would forever remind her of the war, iff, Peeta would forever remind her of the Hunger Games... But yea, Gale was way more aggressive and Peeta more soft. I guess I have a problem buying into Peeta loving Katniss at all just because I can't identify with the whole loving from afar from the age of five etc. She really gave him no reason to love her. She was so cold and emotionless most of the time, towards him.

I went through the books really fast, I can't remember when Katniss really became in love with any of the boys. She spent most of the books emotionless denying or not knowing just what she felt. When was the first time she felt real love for Peeta for instance?

Having no bearing at all on this discussion, just a random fun fact, I just got home from a great date with a brazilian girl. Talk about booty, and talk about knowing how to shake it!
Old 03-18-2012, 12:37 PM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Powerslave View Post
Well, speaking of mediocre YF.

Spoiler:
I think that Katniss killing the leader of 13 in front of everyone in a temper tantrum and then getting off the hook completely is just that. No, that's actually worse than mediocre.

Discredit Snow, okay, not really necessary since they were ten minutes away from arresting him, but maybe it was needed for the Capital citizens to get more on the rebels side.

Sure, Gale had the idea for the weapons that killed Prim, but why the need to make the association? There was a lot of what ifs, whining, self recriminations and wrong associations made by Katniss.

I'll agree that now that Gale made a career in the army he would forever remind her of the war, iff, Peeta would forever remind her of the Hunger Games... But yea, Gale was way more aggressive and Peeta more soft. I guess I have a problem buying into Peeta loving Katniss at all just because I can't identify with the whole loving from afar from the age of five etc. She really gave him no reason to love her. She was so cold and emotionless most of the time, towards him.

I went through the books really fast, I can't remember when Katniss really became in love with any of the boys. She spent most of the books emotionless denying or not knowing just what she felt. When was the first time she felt real love for Peeta for instance?

Having no bearing at all on this discussion, just a random fun fact, I just got home from a great date with a brazilian girl. Talk about booty, and talk about knowing how to shake it!
Dude, that's awesome. Brazilian girls are wicked hot.

It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by lightening. -- Calvin

Old 03-18-2012, 01:33 PM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute

I lived with a Brazilian girl briefly a couple of years ago. She wasn't particularly hot—she had to soak her toenails in water for an hour before she could cut them—but she told me all about Brazil.
Old 03-18-2012, 02:06 PM
Mistress of Novices

Zaela Sedai has much to be proud ofZaela Sedai has much to be proud ofZaela Sedai has much to be proud ofZaela Sedai has much to be proud ofZaela Sedai has much to be proud ofZaela Sedai has much to be proud ofZaela Sedai has much to be proud ofZaela Sedai has much to be proud ofZaela Sedai has much to be proud ofZaela Sedai has much to be proud ofZaela Sedai has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Zaela Sedai Send a message via MSN to Zaela Sedai Send a message via Yahoo to Zaela Sedai Send a message via Skype™ to Zaela Sedai

I enjoyed the books, and definitely felt the end end is what made it a great series in general. Any book that doesn't allow me to put it down = great read.

They should be good movie material, I've heard that the Hunger Games is actually a *GOOD* movie unlike others, so we shall see.

The One, the Original, the ONLY Z
Beware of impostors

In Brandon We Trust
This TL Siren is bonded to Pops, XX, DaiShan and DeiwosTheSkyGod. Allied with Seeker and Guarded by Hopper
General of the Western Border, Valkyrie of the Autumn Storm, Destined Fury
Old 03-18-2012, 02:09 PM
Hero of the Horn

I actually downloaded the first one, and tried to read it, but the style annoyed me greatly. I remember it was something to do with the POV.
Old 03-18-2012, 04:48 PM
Hero of the Horn

Thanks, Ish. Wicked hot, hehe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terez View Post
I lived with a Brazilian girl briefly a couple of years ago. She wasn't particularly hotóshe had to soak her toenails in water for an hour before she could cut themóbut she told me all about Brazil.
I didn't get a good look at her toe nails, though she did complain about her feet hurting from walking in those shoes...
What did she tell you about Brazil? And if it was a lot, feel free to skip to the parts I'd be interested in hearing about.
Old 03-18-2012, 04:55 PM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaela Sedai View Post
I enjoyed the books, and definitely felt the end end is what made it a great series in general. Any book that doesn't allow me to put it down = great read.
Agree, books that can't be put down, basically = good books. Same goes for books that have scenes that move me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terez
I actually downloaded the first one, and tried to read it, but the style annoyed me greatly. I remember it was something to do with the POV.
I got used to the style in just a few pages, didn't bother me at all.
Old 03-19-2012, 04:18 AM
Hero of the Horn

yks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond repute

I concur with those who liked the ending. Sure, the series is aimed at young adults (which apparently means 12 and up) and a certain amount of angst is to be expected. But I'm glad that

Spoiler:
that
1) the angst of the protagonist is not self-righteous. Instead her self-image is much harsher than other poeple see her.
2) the romantic blah-di-blah takes a back seat when it comes to Katniss' sister.
3) she ends up with the Good Guy. This is a particularly important point if you look at the whole Twilight horror and glorification of Dominant Bad Guys and Girls Who Can't Live Without Said Dominant Bad Guys

Bonded to JWB

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
-- Winston Churchill
Old 03-19-2012, 07:37 AM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Two things about Katniss that make her an infinitely better role model than Bella:

Spoiler:

1. She can and will live/survive on her own as a single woman.
2. Neither of her options is an abusive, stalkerish, rapey sparkling fvcking vampire.

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Theoryland: Just Some Crazy In A Pot
Old 03-22-2012, 04:06 PM
Youngling

Cortar is a glorious beacon of lightCortar is a glorious beacon of lightCortar is a glorious beacon of lightCortar is a glorious beacon of lightCortar is a glorious beacon of lightCortar is a glorious beacon of lightCortar is a glorious beacon of light

Oh boy... Well here are my 2-cents:

1) Old, stale plot. I don't mind people revisiting old ideas, but if you don't introduce something fresh then whats the point?

2) Unbelievable world building. Her science and concepts of politics is laughable at best. "Jets can't fly anymore because the atmosphere was destroyed by nukes" lolwhat? The land in her books is so bland; here is the food making place, here is the mining place, etc. The real world isn't like this at all....

3) Twilight.
I am sick and tired of teenage love triangles.

4)Stupid ending.
Spoiler:
Oh wait, he told me that he wouldn't lie! Gasp I better believe that and distrust everyone else!

5) Bad writing. Sorry but I find it tiring reading stuff written for 8 year olds.
Old 03-22-2012, 05:32 PM
Hero of the Horn

Jokeslayer has a reputation beyond reputeJokeslayer has a reputation beyond reputeJokeslayer has a reputation beyond reputeJokeslayer has a reputation beyond reputeJokeslayer has a reputation beyond reputeJokeslayer has a reputation beyond reputeJokeslayer has a reputation beyond reputeJokeslayer has a reputation beyond reputeJokeslayer has a reputation beyond reputeJokeslayer has a reputation beyond reputeJokeslayer has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Jokeslayer

I read the first one, didn't really see what the fuss was about. I remember feeling that all Katniss's interesting decisions were taken away from her by the plot (like her friendship with whatever that girl was called - Rue, I think - where she could have had to make a difficult decision but instead the plot handily solved the problem for her). The world building was baaad, but I ignored that because it doesn't really matter once they're in the Games. I started the second one but got bored after about 20 pages and never went back.
Old 03-22-2012, 09:26 PM
Hero of the Horn

Default Spoliers

I'm not blacking out the whole post. Just don't read it if you haven't read all three, mmmkay?

Truthfully, I felt that worlds inside the Arena(s) were fabulous. Where Collins suffered is in Book Three - outside of the Arena and in the Capitol.

I don't like the concept of calling HG a love triangle - it's not. It's two choices, two lifestyles, two guys who love her in very different ways who bring out different things in her. It's not all like Twilight.

Old 03-23-2012, 12:06 AM
Youngling

Cortar is a glorious beacon of lightCortar is a glorious beacon of lightCortar is a glorious beacon of lightCortar is a glorious beacon of lightCortar is a glorious beacon of lightCortar is a glorious beacon of lightCortar is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishara View Post
Truthfully, I felt that worlds inside the Arena(s) were fabulous. Where Collins suffered is in Book Three - outside of the Arena and in the Capitol.
I can agree there, but thats the entire point of the book, so it kinda spoils everything

(we shouldn't have to black anything out, if you haven't read the books or don't want to get spoiled then don't enter a thread about it lol)

Quote:
I don't like the concept of calling HG a love triangle - it's not. It's two choices, two lifestyles, two guys who love her in very different ways who bring out different things in her. It's not all like Twilight.
ummm that is EXACTLY like Twilight. Bella has a choice, two lifestyles, two guys who love her in very different ways who bring out different things in her.
Old 03-23-2012, 07:32 AM
Hero of the Horn

I can't believe I'm about to get into this (for a host of reasons...)

Twilight's romantic triangle was one that was ultimately designed to cater to the hearts of 12-year old girls everywhere. It's based of the premise that Bella cannot survive without making her choice - that her future depends on one of the guys. And, in fact, her choice is never her choice. It's always "fated." Meyer then turns it into this nasty tetrahedron of shame by having one side of the triangle fall in love with the child of the other two sides, so as to remove all fallout from the non-triangle relationship. Bella was always in love with Edward, and was very clear to Jake that it would always be Edward, whether he wanted her or not. The only thing that made it a triangle was Jake's persistent emands that she think again. All in all, a pathetic teen love story.

With the Hunger Games, there are absolutely no romantic undertones to the relationship between Katniss and Gale,in fact they are referred to - more than once - as almost like brother and sister, in appearance and demeanor. While we're told that Peeta has long loved Katniss from afar, she felt nothing but frustration that he was chosen as the other Tribute. Not because she liked him one way or the other, but because she felt she owed him, and that would affect her ability to survive at all costs. They only begin to manufacture their fake a romantic interest when it becomes clear that it is the only way they can capture the interest of the Capital, and she perpetuates it when she knows she can procure outside aid in the Arena as a result of that interest - people want to see a romance, and she gave it to them to make sure that Peeta got the medicine he needed. She was forced to continue the charade - and he was caught up in it - as part of being a successful Tribute. It was never real in her mind. So far, no triangle.

While Gale may have become the focus of attention for her in Catching Fire, it was partly because he was her tie-in to her old life, in her old home and partly because she couldn't have him - she wasn't allowed to choose freely, even if she wanted to (which I'm not convinced she did). Ultimately, I'm convinced she felt great affection for both boys, and that each boy had his own feelings for her (Peeta of devotion and Gale of possession), but she could have survived - and proved that could - without either one of them. She chose Peeta because of what he saw in her spite of her terrible flaws (and she has them), and because he brought to her qualities she didn't have, but still valued.

Does that clarify?