art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7611

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > WHEEL OF TIME FORUMS > General Wheel of Time Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 04-11-2012, 02:17 AM
Youngling

McCaber will become famous soon enoughMcCaber will become famous soon enough
Default Accents: What do they sound like?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Jordan
Seanchan -> Texas accent. Two Rivers -> Irish/English accent. Illianers -> Dutch. Aiel -> somewhat Slavic. Tairen -> Spanish. Domani -> Indian. Saldaean -> Egyptian/North African.
This is the only reference I've found, and it's really incomplete. What about Shienar, or Amadicia, Ebou Dar, Murandy, or Arafel?

There's a lot of speaking parts, and not being able to know what voice to give characters is really messing with me. Does anyone else have problems like this?
Old 04-11-2012, 05:15 AM
Elder

Zombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Zombie Sammael

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCaber View Post
This is the only reference I've found, and it's really incomplete. What about Shienar, or Amadicia, Ebou Dar, Murandy, or Arafel?

There's a lot of speaking parts, and not being able to know what voice to give characters is really messing with me. Does anyone else have problems like this?
I normally manage to give them voices right out of my head. Illianers don't sound Dutch in my mind.

Master of the lightnings, rider on the storm,
wearer of a crown of swords, spinner out of fate.
Who thinks he turns the Wheel of Time,
may learn the truth too late.

Light is held before the maw of the infinite void, and all that he is can be seized.

The one who Death has known
Old 04-11-2012, 07:45 AM
Inbred, Ugly, and Drunk on Corn Liquor

Sei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Sammael View Post
I normally manage to give them voices right out of my head. Illianers don't sound Dutch in my mind.
Not to me either. I always have the Two Rivers folks with a southern accent and the Seanchan with an English accent...because everybody talks about how hard they are to understand.

www.buckeyestation.com look at it, love it, share it with your friends!
Old 04-11-2012, 08:42 AM
Elder

Zombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sei'taer View Post
Not to me either. I always have the Two Rivers folks with a southern accent and the Seanchan with an English accent...because everybody talks about how hard they are to understand.
Blimey! We ain't difficult to flobberwop, mate!

Light is held before the maw of the infinite void, and all that he is can be seized.

Old 04-11-2012, 08:47 AM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Terez

See the accents tag.

http://www.theoryland.com/wheel-of-t...iew-search.php
Old 04-11-2012, 09:32 AM

Sei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Blimey! We ain't difficult to flobberwop, mate!
Maybe not to flobberwop, but I can't understand half of what you say.

Old 04-11-2012, 11:23 AM
Youngling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terez View Post
Not to be disrespectful, but that was the first thing I did. The quote in the OP is the only useful thing I found there.
Old 04-11-2012, 01:35 PM
Youngling

Cortar is a glorious beacon of lightCortar is a glorious beacon of lightCortar is a glorious beacon of lightCortar is a glorious beacon of lightCortar is a glorious beacon of lightCortar is a glorious beacon of lightCortar is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCaber View Post

Someone should have given this to the guy who reads the Audio books. I love their voice acting but they do the accents completely different than this.
Old 04-11-2012, 01:43 PM
Elder

I actually came to the realisation that I hate the pronunciation guides. Although I corrected my understanding of the pronunciation of Myrddraal (I initially assumed the double D was to be pronounced as in Welsh, so "Myrthraal"), I can never read Seanchan as anything other than "See-an-chan" rather than "Shawn-chan" as in the books. I think the same applies to accents. I think it comes from the same part of my brain that prefers the names I (and my friends) make up for monsters in video games to the official names.

Old 04-11-2012, 02:51 PM

Quote:
I actually came to the realisation that I hate the pronunciation guides. Although I corrected my understanding of the pronunciation of Myrddraal (I initially assumed the double D was to be pronounced as in Welsh, so "Myrthraal"), I can never read Seanchan as anything other than "See-an-chan" rather than "Shawn-chan" as in the books. I think the same applies to accents. I think it comes from the same part of my brain that prefers the names I (and my friends) make up for monsters in video games to the official names.
I tend to pronounce the names without any kind of guide too, and as a consequence, very few of them are right. Most of them come out in my heavy southern accent and the characters all have the same accent.

I tend to read things this way: Ace Suhdie, Eggwhen, Nin-eve, Camalyn...that sort of thing. I do say Shawnchan though, and I get Mat and Rand right almost every time!

Old 04-11-2012, 05:14 PM
Youngling

Cortar is a glorious beacon of lightCortar is a glorious beacon of lightCortar is a glorious beacon of lightCortar is a glorious beacon of lightCortar is a glorious beacon of lightCortar is a glorious beacon of lightCortar is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
I tend to pronounce the names without any kind of guide too, and as a consequence, very few of them are right. Most of them come out in my heavy southern accent and the characters all have the same accent.

I tend to read things this way: Ace Suhdie, Eggwhen, Nin-eve, Camalyn...that sort of thing. I do say Shawnchan though, and I get Mat and Rand right almost every time!
All of those are exactly how I imagined everything. I think listening to the books really fixes the correct pronounations in your mind, though its absolutely annoying listening to the Seanchan, bc I was excited to hear that nice Southern accent.... What I got was.... weird? I really don't know what kind of accent Michael Kramer is trying to do.
Old 04-11-2012, 06:54 PM
Elder

Rand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:

For me, aside from a few like thinking Thom's name actually had the "th" sound and the obvious Seanchan mispronunciation, I've been more or less about right on with most of the pronunciations. Don't know why, but maybe local accents have people think words sound different than what they are?

As for the Seanchan accents, I've kind of pictured them as either Italian or Turkish in accent, due to Kaf (coffee, which came to those 2 cultures well before the others).
Old 04-11-2012, 07:13 PM
Youngling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rand al'Fain View Post
For me, aside from a few like thinking Thom's name actually had the "th" sound and the obvious Seanchan mispronunciation, I've been more or less about right on with most of the pronunciations. Don't know why, but maybe local accents have people think words sound different than what they are?

As for the Seanchan accents, I've kind of pictured them as either Italian or Turkish in accent, due to Kaf (coffee, which came to those 2 cultures well before the others).
What about all of the "slow, drawling" speech, or how RJ says they talk like they have honey in their mouths every 5 seconds.
Old 04-12-2012, 12:21 AM
Youngling

One thing that I have a hard time pronouncing is how Jordan uses the "ae" sound. Latin was the first non-English language I learned, I say it like the book version of Aes Sedai, but that means that for words like Caemlyn and Saldaea I don't say it as listed.
Old 04-12-2012, 01:10 AM
Elder

Rand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortar View Post
What about all of the "slow, drawling" speech, or how RJ says they talk like they have honey in their mouths every 5 seconds.
The Texans that I met though, that have the accent, have NEVER talked in a slow drawl, it was actually rather quick. So I never really made the connection before.
Old 04-12-2012, 02:42 AM
Youngling

Maesterbaevern is a jewel in the roughMaesterbaevern is a jewel in the roughMaesterbaevern is a jewel in the roughMaesterbaevern is a jewel in the rough
Wink

He maybe thought of Cletus as Seanchan.
Old 04-12-2012, 04:01 AM
Youngling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rand al'Fain View Post
The Texans that I met though, that have the accent, have NEVER talked in a slow drawl, it was actually rather quick. So I never really made the connection before.
I think the most strongest of Texan accents are virtually nonexistent.... until I go up north.
Old 04-12-2012, 04:20 AM
Hero of the Horn

yks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond repute

Ebou Dar I'd imagine almost Italian.

dunno why but Cairhien to me seems like a mix of Turkey and Germany - Germany in the sense of utilitarian/heavy furniture and Turkey in the sense of short people with extreme propriety... until the Sultan declares a free-for-all during the Festival of Lights.

Bonded to JWB

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
-- Winston Churchill
Old 04-12-2012, 07:34 AM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Funny, I picture them as Louis XIV era French...

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Theoryland: Just Some Crazy In A Pot
Old 04-12-2012, 07:41 AM
Hero of the Horn

yks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davian93 View Post
Funny, I picture them as Louis XIV era French...
there's nothing prudish about that era or area. rather the opposite...

But I guess it makes sense seeing as Andor ~ England -> Cairhien ~ France.

Bonded to JWB

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
-- Winston Churchill