art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7653

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > WHEEL OF TIME FORUMS > General Wheel of Time Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 04-13-2012, 07:25 PM
Youngling

Karak Norn Clansman is on a distinguished road
Default Who is the most competent villain in Wheel of Time?

Title says it all, although opinions may come to change with AMoL. Explain why you think so, and don't hesitate to name your favourite villain(s).

I find Semirhage to be the most competent one of the Forsaken, and thus probably the entire cast of villains, since she actually toppled a large empire. The Forsaken could have Traveled across the land, killing most of the high leaders and throwing every country into disarray or civil war, like Seanchan or Arad Doman. Whilst most Forsaken were content with petty plotting against each other and seizing little Wetland kingdoms for themselves, Semirhage sowed Chaos like none other.

Besides Semirhage, my favourite villains are mad scientist Aginor and anti-everything freak Padan Fain.
Old 04-13-2012, 07:36 PM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Demandred...his forces are ready.

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Theoryland: Just Some Crazy In A Pot
Old 04-13-2012, 07:44 PM
Youngling

frenchie has much to be proud offrenchie has much to be proud offrenchie has much to be proud offrenchie has much to be proud offrenchie has much to be proud offrenchie has much to be proud offrenchie has much to be proud offrenchie has much to be proud offrenchie has much to be proud offrenchie has much to be proud offrenchie has much to be proud of

I've said this to you before, Dav, but I hope you are right. They've spent the entire series bulding up Demandred. I just hope he's not a let down like most of the Forsaken.

As for me, Isha'mael almost converted Rand to his own philosophy, which would have allowed the Dark to achive his ultimate goal.
Old 04-13-2012, 07:45 PM
Youngling

finnssss is an unknown quantity at this point

Ishamael/Moridin

Ran the Trolloc wars, raided the White Tower, created the Black Ajah, manipulated Hawkwing and his Kin just to name some of the more major things.

His influence on events is far ranging and still felt heavily today.

Fain is the most interesting but to say he's been successful at much to this point...no.
Old 04-13-2012, 08:41 PM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchie View Post
I've said this to you before, Dav, but I hope you are right. They've spent the entire series bulding up Demandred. I just hope he's not a let down like most of the Forsaken.

As for me, Isha'mael almost converted Rand to his own philosophy, which would have allowed the Dark to achive his ultimate goal.
I assume he'll be able to sneak up on Rand undetected during the Last Battle, he'll then prepare an inverted balefire weave only to stumble on rock and impale himself on a spear.

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Old 04-13-2012, 09:08 PM
Ancient

Kimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davian93 View Post
I assume he'll be able to sneak up on Rand undetected during the Last Battle, he'll then prepare an inverted balefire weave only to stumble on rock and impale himself on a spear.
Demandred seems reminiscent of Pyrrhus of Epirus. I'm guessing that in the closing stages of his sack of Caemlyn that some random old woman grabs a roof tile and chucks it at him.

As for the competency of villains, aside from Ishamael/Moridin, Taim really has been the most impressive and most accomplished. Hopefully his fatal showdown with Logain doesn't disappoint as much as Egwene vs. Mesaana did.
Old 04-13-2012, 11:21 PM
Youngling

maleshub is a jewel in the roughmaleshub is a jewel in the roughmaleshub is a jewel in the rough

Aside from the Foresaken, Alviarin was doing a pretty good job for a while. The WT almost crumbled by under her leadership of the BA, even before Mesaana escaped and started giving her orders.
Old 04-14-2012, 04:53 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by maleshub View Post
Aside from the Foresaken, Alviarin was doing a pretty good job for a while. The WT almost crumbled by under her leadership of the BA, even before Mesaana escaped and started giving her orders.
Alviarin probably would have done even better if Mesaana hadn't send her off on some wild goose chase.

Considering his limitations, I think that Narg did well too.
But of course, the master of them all is the DO.
Old 04-14-2012, 06:18 AM
Youngling

Tomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant future

You've forgotten about Bela.

She's so far remained unnoticed by the protagonists. She will soon make her move against Rand with the information she's collected through the telepathic control she's established over those who's ridden her.

Bela will influence the decisions of Rand, Egwene and Siuan.

That is why Moiraine has to be there, she must use Balefire against Bela. Moiraine got the information on Bela's true nature in Finnland.
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read. (Marx)
Old 04-14-2012, 11:00 AM
Youngling

Oden will become famous soon enoughOden will become famous soon enough

You mustn't forget that Perrin rode Bela as well, though he did not like it (wolfbrother thingy?)
Old 04-14-2012, 11:04 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oden View Post
You mustn't forget that Perrin rode Bela as well, though he did not like it (wolfbrother thingy?)
Elias didn't, but then, he was a more experienced wolfbrother at the time.
Old 04-14-2012, 11:59 AM
Youngling

Tomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oden View Post
We'll see if he was protected by the wolves or if he also will be controlled by the "beast of damnation".
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read. (Marx)
Old 04-14-2012, 12:09 PM
Youngling

Edynol will become famous soon enoughEdynol will become famous soon enough

Well for those that count Verin a villain, I would say her, as far as making an impact goes, though I don't consider her a villain. But I can see some would since she was part of an evil organization, even if only to ultimately betray them.

Anyways, I have to go with Ishy/Mori.
Old 04-14-2012, 12:44 PM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
As for the competency of villains, aside from Ishamael/Moridin, Taim really has been the most impressive and most accomplished. Hopefully his fatal showdown with Logain doesn't disappoint as much as Egwene vs. Mesaana did.
If I had to bet, I would bet that Taim is killed by a sword...given his disdain for the weapon and his overall disdain for weapons training in general.

Old 04-14-2012, 03:23 PM
Hero of the Horn

Weird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant future

After a good deal of thought, I think Greandal is almost competent and that's the best anyone can say about any of the Forsaken.

Ishamael has accomplished a great deal, but he's had several thousand years to work with. His record since the beginning of the series hasn't been exactly sterling.

(Now if I could just figure out which questions they go to. )

I met you in a past life. You were wrong then, too.
Old 04-14-2012, 09:49 PM
Youngling

TankSpill is a glorious beacon of lightTankSpill is a glorious beacon of lightTankSpill is a glorious beacon of lightTankSpill is a glorious beacon of lightTankSpill is a glorious beacon of lightTankSpill is a glorious beacon of lightTankSpill is a glorious beacon of light

My vote's been with Taim for awhile now, and after ToM, I feel even more strongly about it. Alvy did well for awhile, but like someone above said, Forsaken politics got in the way.

Fain certainly hasn't slowed down either, no telling what zombie-trollocs are going to be doing in the final book.

None of the Forsaken have impressed me, though Moridin at least doesn't disappoint me.
Old 04-15-2012, 03:41 AM
Hero of the Horn

Frenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Frenzy Send a message via Yahoo to Frenzy

Oooh, good question. i too have always been a fan of Semirhage. She brought the Seanchan to their knees, the other of the Chosen are honestly scared of her, and she managed to subdue Rand. Not many others can say that. She only lost because Rand cheated.

Has Fain been competent? I'm pretty sure all of his plots & schemes have failed, but he's survived thru all the books so far. That counts for something.

i think we can safely say that Elaida was the most incompetent villain.

"How the hell do you Godwin a thread with CUCUMBERS!!?" -- Tru

"I love cucumber prawn... " -- Ivhon

"Have to catch me first. Scared shitless always outruns mad as hell." -- Sinistrum

"Some days I'm happy Frenzy doesn't live next door." -- Tamyrlin

"So Frenzy is a scientist then?" -- Davian
"Well duh. An Evil scientist. " -- Khoram
Old 04-15-2012, 05:14 AM
Youngling

Oden will become famous soon enoughOden will become famous soon enough

I would nominate Daved Hanlon, a.k.a. Doilin Mellar. He did become the captain of the queen's bodyguard, harassed Caemlyn, got an Aes Sedai "slave" and stole one of the silver medallions, hurting the queen in his sortie.
Old 04-15-2012, 05:21 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenzy View Post
i think we can safely say that Elaida was the most incompetent villain.
What has Slayer actually achieved?
He killed two members of the Keystone Coven, and that's about it, I think.
Old 04-15-2012, 04:10 PM
Hero: The Prophet of Moiraine

Seeker has a reputation beyond reputeSeeker has a reputation beyond reputeSeeker has a reputation beyond reputeSeeker has a reputation beyond reputeSeeker has a reputation beyond reputeSeeker has a reputation beyond reputeSeeker has a reputation beyond reputeSeeker has a reputation beyond reputeSeeker has a reputation beyond reputeSeeker has a reputation beyond reputeSeeker has a reputation beyond repute

The most competant villain is...

Elayne. She's done more to bring down the Light from the inside than any of the Forsaken and Fain combined. If only her schemes to keep putting herself in danger so that our heroes must rescue her would pay off and get one of them killed. She'd be named Nae'Blis in no time.
If his bride didn't like it, St. Peter wouldn't mind.

Well, now I lie here so out of breath and... over opiated.
Maybe I couldn't catch up no, but maybe she could have waited.