art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7611

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > WHEEL OF TIME FORUMS > General Wheel of Time Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 04-16-2012, 10:34 PM
Dragonmount Admin

Luckers is just really niceLuckers is just really niceLuckers is just really niceLuckers is just really niceLuckers is just really niceLuckers is just really nice
Default Q&A with Brandon from Melbourne 2012

I did a detailed Q&A with Brandon in case any of you are interested in reading it.

http://tinyurl.com/6tsvl25
Old 04-17-2012, 06:38 AM
Elder

Zombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Zombie Sammael

This makes me think that Terez could be right or partly right in here "Twice Dawning Day" theory:

Quote:
Question Twenty-Seven

Luckers: How much time does aMoL cover?

Brandon: It depends on which part of the world you are in. You will understand that when you read A Memory of Light.
On the other hand, it might just refer to timelines.

Thanks so much for posting this!

Master of the lightnings, rider on the storm,
wearer of a crown of swords, spinner out of fate.
Who thinks he turns the Wheel of Time,
may learn the truth too late.

Light is held before the maw of the infinite void, and all that he is can be seized.

The one who Death has known
Old 04-17-2012, 07:52 AM
Youngling

Boli is just really niceBoli is just really niceBoli is just really niceBoli is just really nice

Quote:
Question Two

Luckers: Did Verin kill Barthanes?

Brandon: *Goes to answer, pauses and looks thoughtful for a long moment, then said…* MAFO
I always asumed it was the golem... making his first appearance (torn limb from limb is pretty much the MO of that particular creature).

I've been meaning to ask if there is a spefic thread/place you can post questions up at so they may be heard?
Old 04-18-2012, 10:16 AM
Dragonmount Admin

Luckers is just really niceLuckers is just really niceLuckers is just really niceLuckers is just really niceLuckers is just really niceLuckers is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boli View Post
I always asumed it was the golem... making his first appearance (torn limb from limb is pretty much the MO of that particular creature).
It's what everyone assumes--myself included--due to the similarity of the methodology. It just ocurred to me after tGS that Verin had means, motive and opportunity.

By the way two new tidbits from the signing in Sydney today...

[copy/paste from my thread on DM] Hey went to the signing in Sydney tonight. Nothing really new, except that both times he spoke of the climax of the series (that Jordan had written) he spoke of it as one chapter (he spoke much the same in Melbourne too, but I didn't really note it then).

The second thing is that someone asked whether he had freaked harriet out with how well he channeled Jordan, and he replied that he had freaked harriet out, though not so much for that as for some of his crazy ideas. He said he thought Jordan would have been innovating and creating as the process of writing unfolded, and that he did much the same, throwing thoughts at Harriet, some of which made it into the book. An example of one which didn't end up in the books, and which apparently Harriet 'freaked' out about was that he suggested Perrin might take up the Way of the Leaf.
Old 04-18-2012, 10:32 AM
Youngling

Edynol will become famous soon enoughEdynol will become famous soon enough

I honestly never gave it much thought. I always figured it was the three boys' ta'veren-ness sparking a civil war between the houses or something. Also, could it also have been Thom? I know he planned to kill him, but I think he was convinced otherwise. Or was he?
Old 04-18-2012, 11:11 AM
Lord of the Board

Tamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Tamyrlin
Default Hmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckers View Post
The second thing is that someone asked whether he had freaked harriet out with how well he channeled Jordan, and he replied that he had freaked harriet out, though not so much for that as for some of his crazy ideas. He said he thought Jordan would have been innovating and creating as the process of writing unfolded, and that he did much the same, throwing thoughts at Harriet, some of which made it into the book. An example of one which didn't end up in the books, and which apparently Harriet 'freaked' out about was that he suggested Perrin might take up the Way of the Leaf.
So...this does make me wonder if my faction will fizzle then: Perrin Will Find the Song - http://www.theoryland.com/factions.php?func=4&rec=24.
Old 04-18-2012, 12:05 PM
Youngling

Grig has a brilliant futureGrig has a brilliant futureGrig has a brilliant futureGrig has a brilliant futureGrig has a brilliant futureGrig has a brilliant futureGrig has a brilliant futureGrig has a brilliant futureGrig has a brilliant futureGrig has a brilliant futureGrig has a brilliant future

Is that the first time we've heard that the ter'angreal Moiraine has post-Finn is different than the bracelet Lanfear used pre-Finn? I think the reasoning Sanderson uses to come to that conclusion is faulty, though.

As far as we know it, the treaty prevents them from drawing blood, but there's nothing to say they can't rob you blind and then make a deal to give you back items that were in your possession when you entered (and the fact that they stole Moiraine's clothes pretty clearly implies otherwise). If Moiraine was not referring to a known item in her request, why would she not have instead requested a sa'angreal instead of something just "almost" one?

Last edited by Grig; 04-18-2012 at 12:38 PM.
Old 04-18-2012, 12:27 PM
Youngling

NaeffOfDreams is an unknown quantity at this point

@Edynol

Barthanes was dead by the time Thom thought about going for him. Then Thom decided to go for Galldrian instead.
Old 04-18-2012, 12:41 PM
Youngling

neurotopia is just really niceneurotopia is just really niceneurotopia is just really niceneurotopia is just really niceneurotopia is just really niceneurotopia is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grig View Post
Is that the first time we've heard that the ter'angreal Moiraine has post-Finn is different than the bracelet Lanfear used pre-Finn? I think the reasoning Sanderson uses to come to that conclusion is faulty, though.

As far as we know it, the treaty prevents them from drawing blood, but there's nothing to say they can't rob you blind and then make a deal to give you back items that were in your possession when you entered (and the fact that they stole Moiraine's clothes pretty clearly implies otherwise). If Moiraine was not referring to a known item in her request, why would she not have instead requested a sa'angreal instead of something just "almost" one?
I suspect, if both Moiraine and Lanfear were still alive upon crossing through the doorway, Moiraine may have immediately used a wish and bargained for sequestration of Lanfear in order to survive. Such a hastily made request may not have left her adequate time to "set the price".
Old 04-18-2012, 12:43 PM
Youngling

Edynol will become famous soon enoughEdynol will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaeffOfDreams View Post
@Edynol

Barthanes was dead by the time Thom thought about going for him. Then Thom decided to go for Galldrian instead.
Ahh okay. Thanks. :P
Old 04-18-2012, 01:31 PM
Hero of the Horn

Ivhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Ivhon Send a message via Yahoo to Ivhon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamyrlin View Post
So...this does make me wonder if my faction will fizzle then: Perrin Will Find the Song - http://www.theoryland.com/factions.php?func=4&rec=24.
That conclusion would assume that one cannot find the Song without following the Way of the Leaf. I have never felt that the Tinkers have "held the course" any better than any other group over the 3000 years since the Breaking. Yeah, they hold on to one little bit of what was - the Way of the Leaf - but that's it.

Proud owner of the first post on TL's VBulletin forum (sorry...I had ta )

Greeter Emeritus
Old 04-18-2012, 02:35 PM
Youngling

Cortar is a glorious beacon of lightCortar is a glorious beacon of lightCortar is a glorious beacon of lightCortar is a glorious beacon of lightCortar is a glorious beacon of lightCortar is a glorious beacon of lightCortar is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivhon View Post
That conclusion would assume that one cannot find the Song without following the Way of the Leaf. I have never felt that the Tinkers have "held the course" any better than any other group over the 3000 years since the Breaking. Yeah, they hold on to one little bit of what was - the Way of the Leaf - but that's it.
Thats a pretty HUGE, "little bit" in facts, that was pretty much the defining characteristic of the Aiel in the AoL.
Old 04-18-2012, 02:49 PM
Hero of the Horn

Ivhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Ivhon Send a message via Yahoo to Ivhon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortar View Post
Thats a pretty HUGE, "little bit" in facts, that was pretty much the defining characteristic of the Aiel in the AoL.
True. Another defining characteristic was service to AS. Which the Tuatha'An don't seem to remember and the Aiel do. Neither population remembers exactly what they did in the AoL (clan chiefs/WO's excepted)

Proud owner of the first post on TL's VBulletin forum (sorry...I had ta )

Greeter Emeritus
Old 04-19-2012, 05:25 PM
Elder

greatwolf will become famous soon enoughgreatwolf will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Question Eighteen

Luckers: Can someone who is leashed by an aídam touch Telíaranírhiod?

Brandon: *blinks at me* Umm. Thatís a really good question.

Luckers: I ask, because itís odd that Moghedien never tried to use the dream to escape, or to capture someone in Salidar and compel her to free Moghedien in the waking world, or anything like that.

Brandon: Yeah, thatís a good question. Iíd guess no, but you can MAFO that.
Ummm. Maybe because she was a coward?

One, there were AS in Salidar who could be in TAR at any time including Birgitte and her captors. Two, entry into TAR requires calm and sleep. The moment she tries to will herself to sleep, anyone holding the bracelet would be able to guess what she was up to, and they could have her back in the flesh before she was even able to find a suitable candidate for compulsion.

Of course our girls might not have picked up on it. Three, they might have warded her dreams. If they had any sense, they would, but...

A very easy option would have been using the BA and DFs. It might be easier to use DFs than BA since a serving woman would be hard pressed to exert much authority over an AS. If a black found out she had one of the forsaken on a leash, she might well try to keep her as a tool or offer her to one of the other forsaken.
Old 04-20-2012, 02:23 AM
Elder

jana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with Grig. Considering Brandon's lack of knowledge on Moiraine's angreals, I'm almost certain that the bracelet she has now is the exact same bracelet that Lanfear had, regardless of what he said in the interview. Why would the 'Finn have one that looks EXACTLY the same other than RJ wanting to f* with us?

Last edited by jana; 04-20-2012 at 02:34 AM.
Old 04-20-2012, 02:58 AM
Youngling

Boli is just really niceBoli is just really niceBoli is just really niceBoli is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatwolf View Post

One, there were AS in Salidar who could be in TAR at any time including Birgitte and her captors. Two, entry into TAR requires calm and sleep. The moment she tries to will herself to sleep, anyone holding the bracelet would be able to guess what she was up to, and they could have her back in the flesh before she was even able to find a suitable candidate for compulsion.

Of course our girls might not have picked up on it. Three, they might have warded her dreams. If they had any sense, they would, but...

A very easy option would have been using the BA and DFs. It might be easier to use DFs than BA since a serving woman would be hard pressed to exert much authority over an AS. If a black found out she had one of the forsaken on a leash, she might well try to keep her as a tool or offer her to one of the other forsaken.
There is also the fact if she considered using TAR as a weapon against any of the girls she wouldn't be able to enter.
Old 04-22-2012, 08:19 PM
Youngling

maleshub is a jewel in the roughmaleshub is a jewel in the roughmaleshub is a jewel in the rough

Verin killed Barthanes by accepting his invitation over the King's. To the King, it looked like Barthanes conspiring with Andor and Aes Sedai to take the Sun Throne. And so, the King went berserk on Barthanes and all those suspected of the plot, including the gleeman who talked to Rand in Barthanes' party.

Anyway, just a nattering post on Aes Sedai manipulation of events. Verin was too smart not to know the consequences of her actions.
Old 04-22-2012, 09:06 PM
Youngling

Swordcrowned is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatwolf View Post

Did the books ever actually mention that Moghedien dreamed her way to TAR? I was under the impression that the Forsaken generally entered TAR in the flesh. And obviously she couldn't do that.
Old 04-22-2012, 11:38 PM
Youngling

RealAshaman is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swordcrowned View Post
Did the books ever actually mention that Moghedien dreamed her way to TAR? I was under the impression that the Forsaken generally entered TAR in the flesh. And obviously she couldn't do that.

I think some of the Forsaken know how to enter TAR in the flesh(Lanfear and Mogs def know how), but they know that it is not safe to enter TAR in the flesh. Mogs comments on this, while she is with Nynaeve and Rand is fighting a Forsaken in TAR.

I dont think the Forsaken enter in the flesh, because they know of the danger. Mogs was actually dreaming of her way into TAR, when she was captured. Nynaeve slipped her forkroot, so she knew where to go retrieve Mogs, when they both woke up.

Sorry I didnt get you a reference chapter, but I am almost positive you can find the reference in the last few chapters of The Dragon Reborn. Hope that helps.
Old 04-22-2012, 11:47 PM
Youngling

Swordcrowned is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealAshaman View Post
I think some of the Forsaken know how to enter TAR in the flesh(Lanfear and Mogs def know how), but they know that it is not safe to enter TAR in the flesh. Mogs comments on this, while she is with Nynaeve and Rand is fighting a Forsaken in TAR.

I dont think the Forsaken enter in the flesh, because they know of the danger. Mogs was actually dreaming of her way into TAR, when she was captured. Nynaeve slipped her forkroot, so she knew where to go retrieve Mogs, when they both woke up.

Sorry I didnt get you a reference chapter, but I am almost positive you can find the reference in the last few chapters of The Dragon Reborn. Hope that helps.
Your right. I forgot about Nynaeve using fork root in TAR to capture Mog. I was trying to think of references, but none came to mind until you brought it up.