art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7611

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > WHEEL OF TIME FORUMS > General Wheel of Time Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 04-22-2012, 11:05 AM
Elder

Zombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Zombie Sammael
Default Eyes

I've been thinking a lot, in general, about the motif of eyes in the series, and trying to come up with something worthwhile from it. It may eventually prove to be a theory, or possibly an essay, but in order to get some ideas together coherently, I thought it would be a good idea to start a thread to discuss the topic.

There can be no doubt that eyes are important in the Wheel Of Time series. There are numerous examples of eyes being mentioned in connection with Light. Here are a few I can think of:
  • In TEOTW, The Dark One "means to blind the eye of the world".
  • The Aiel refer to the Dark One as "sightblinder".
  • Mat gives up "half the light of the world to save the world" by sacrificing his eye; this is foretold by a Dream of Egwene's in which he places his eye on a balance scale
  • Myrddraal, the representatives of the Shadow, have no eyes; "the look of the eyeless is fear"; the Dark One's representative in the world, Shaidar Haran, is a Myrddraal.
  • Seanchan refer to those who have lost status as "lowered eyes".
  • Rand mentions the importance of eyes in TSR when discussing Hadnan Kadere and his party with Mat; the party includes Lanfear.
  • In TOM, when confronting Darkfriends among his allies, they are unable to meet Rand's eyes; whether this is a new power or a result of a tip-off from Verin, it remains an example of the importance of eyes.
  • Carrion-eaters are said to be the Dark One's eyes.
  • The highest or lowest hand in dice games played by Matrim Cauthon and others is called "The Dark One's Eyes.
  • The Aes Sedai employ networks of informers known as "eyes and ears".

I find it interesting that eyes as a topic appear to have been a little overlooked by the community; 13th Depository has a page on the symbolism of "hands" but not of eyes.

In a real world sense, "the eyes are the window to the soul" is a common saying, and this is borne out by the inability of darkfriends to meet Rand Sedai's eyes; there are also specific associations of eyes with the concept of light.

As I said above, I'm unsure of where exactly I intend to go with this, so I'm throwing it out there to get ideas and inputs. Are there examples I've missed? What does it all mean? Will the final confrontation between Rand and the DO be a staring match?

Master of the lightnings, rider on the storm,
wearer of a crown of swords, spinner out of fate.
Who thinks he turns the Wheel of Time,
may learn the truth too late.

Light is held before the maw of the infinite void, and all that he is can be seized.

The one who Death has known
Old 04-22-2012, 11:08 AM
Youngling

Tomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant future

How about Goldeneyes?
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read. (Marx)
Old 04-22-2012, 11:12 AM
Elder

Zombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomp View Post
How about Goldeneyes?
Good one. Actually very interesting indeed, when you compare that with "gold" as a colour associated with light (e.g. "Veins of Gold"), perhaps marking Perrin, Elyas, wolves and wolfbrothers as agents of the light.

Light is held before the maw of the infinite void, and all that he is can be seized.

Old 04-22-2012, 01:06 PM
Elder

Landro is just really niceLandro is just really niceLandro is just really niceLandro is just really niceLandro is just really niceLandro is just really nice

You need eyes to see the light. Without eyes there's only darkness.

And the DF lord at Maradon ripped out his own eyes
Old 04-22-2012, 01:18 PM
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landro View Post
You need eyes to see the light. Without eyes there's only darkness.

And the DF lord at Maradon ripped out his own eyes
Another good one, and yeah, that does seem to be the overall theme. I'm just wondering whether it's something that might grow a theory, or more suited to an academic essay.

Finding the examples might help us work out what's going on with one of Rand's "new powers" (if that it be), I suppose.

Old 04-22-2012, 01:39 PM
Hero of the Horn

Frenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Frenzy Send a message via Yahoo to Frenzy

I think Muradin ripped his eyes out while in the glass columns of Rhuidean, rather than see the true history of his people.

"How the hell do you Godwin a thread with CUCUMBERS!!?" -- Tru

"I love cucumber prawn... " -- Ivhon

"Have to catch me first. Scared shitless always outruns mad as hell." -- Sinistrum

"Some days I'm happy Frenzy doesn't live next door." -- Tamyrlin

"So Frenzy is a scientist then?" -- Davian
"Well duh. An Evil scientist. " -- Khoram
Old 04-22-2012, 02:02 PM
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenzy View Post
I think Muradin ripped his eyes out while in the glass columns of Rhuidean, rather than see the true history of his people.
Interesting, because that's eyes being used to avoid truth. It seems to associate truth with the light given the associations we've seen already.

Old 04-22-2012, 02:05 PM
Hero of the Horn

SauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to SauceyBlueConfetti

I had an idea many years ago about Darkfriends and losing an eye. There are a bit too many one eyed characters in the books. I was mocked at the time. Given the 'ol stink eye if I recall.
Yeah. Murderous Saucey. My superhero name
I am Detroit. You REALLY wanna call me wimpy?
Haphazardly Spell & Fact Checked Since June 2001
Old 04-22-2012, 02:20 PM
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SauceyBlueConfetti View Post
I had an idea many years ago about Darkfriends and losing an eye. There are a bit too many one eyed characters in the books. I was mocked at the time. Given the 'ol stink eye if I recall.
Possibly a tie-in to the Dark Mat theory-ling? "In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king." Of course, that just makes me think of the eye of Sauron.

Old 04-22-2012, 02:40 PM
Elder

Khoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Sammael View Post
Possibly a tie-in to the Dark Mat theory-ling? "In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king." Of course, that just makes me think of the eye of Sauron.
There's the idea of the saa from using too much of the True Power. And the absence of eyes, instead their being caverns of fire with Ishy prior to his Moridin-izing.

Life is a dream from which we all must wake before we can dream again.

Al dival, al kiserai, al mashi! - For light, glory, and love!

Carai an manshimaya ayend'an! - Honor of my blade for the fallen.
Old 04-22-2012, 06:18 PM
Hero of the Horn

Weird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenzy View Post
Quote:
Interesting, because that's eyes being used to avoid truth. It seems to associate truth with the light given the associations we've seen already.
Muradin is also a literal example of "Not believing his own eyes."

(Now if I could just figure out which questions they go to. )

I met you in a past life. You were wrong then, too.
Old 04-22-2012, 07:07 PM
Youngling

Tomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant future

Include Uno and his painted eye patch as well.
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read. (Marx)
Old 04-22-2012, 08:39 PM
Inbred, Ugly, and Drunk on Corn Liquor

Sei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond repute

The Eye of the World.

www.buckeyestation.com look at it, love it, share it with your friends!
Old 04-22-2012, 08:40 PM
Elder

Khoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sei'taer View Post
The Eye of the World.
It's been mentioned.

Life is a dream from which we all must wake before we can dream again.

Al dival, al kiserai, al mashi! - For light, glory, and love!

Carai an manshimaya ayend'an! - Honor of my blade for the fallen.
Old 04-23-2012, 03:08 AM
Lord of the Board

Tamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Tamyrlin
Default A few references

Quote:
TITLE: The World of Robert Jordan's the Wheel of Time
CHAPTER: The Wheel and the Pattern
Perhaps the strangest of all known ter'angreal are two tall redstone doorways, similar to yet different from each other in form and function, which do not require the user to be a channeler. Each stands independent of any supporting structure and is twisted strangely so that the eye keeps slipping away from the contour of its shape. One of these, decorated with three sinuous lines that run from top to bottom on each upright, resides in the Stone of Tear. Anyone passing through it enters a strange world where he or she is allowed to ask three questions and receive truthful answers. By an ancient compact with the inhabitants of the other side, no lamps, torches, items made of iron, or musical instruments are allowed within.
Quote:
TITLE: The World of Robert Jordan's the Wheel of Time
CHAPTER: Imperial Control
The members of the Imperial family and of the Blood also seldom speak directly to anyone of lesser rank than themselves, save to bestow an immense honor upon them. Most communication is done through a “Voice,” a servant, usually hereditary, who actually speaks for his/her master or mistress. The Voice receives instructions through a variety of subtle nonverbal gestures from the master. It is forbidden for a person of lesser rank to make eye contact with one of greater. Even the Voice must never look the master directly in the eye while watching for signals or commands.
Quote:
INTERVIEW: 1994
Stories from the LOC Signing Tour (Paraphrased)

JOHN-MARK TURNER
RJ was very patient and enthusiastic. He looked different than the picture mostly due to the dark tint in his glasses.

ROBERT JORDAN
RJ also mentioned being unable to attend West Point due to poor vision in his left eye.
And how about the pronunciations of Nynaeve's name and the Aiel and Aes Sedai?

You could do a write-up for sure; start researching it.
Old 04-23-2012, 03:50 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

There's also the Watcher of the Seals, and the unseen watchers that were dogging Rand in the beginning of TGH.
Old 04-23-2012, 05:01 AM
Elder

I realised earlier that the blind Rand prophecies were a certain example of just the kind of conceit I'm getting at. That is, if they're unfulfilled. After all, a blind man who could previously see would have only a memory of light.

Old 04-23-2012, 06:07 AM
Youngling

Jasin Natael is an unknown quantity at this point

You know, I could make a similar argument for breasts being pivotal to the last battle, based on how often they are mentioned.
Old 04-23-2012, 06:14 AM
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasin Natael View Post
You know, I could make a similar argument for breasts being pivotal to the last battle, based on how often they are mentioned.
Name one example of breasts being important in prophecy or associated with light or shadow. It's about symbolism, and like I said, I'm not at the stage where it's a theory or even an essay yet. There might well be scope for an essay about breasts in the WOT series, though; they're obviously important.

Old 04-23-2012, 07:10 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Name one example of breasts being important in prophecy or associated with light or shadow.
The Answer:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoC, Epilogue, The Answer
The unstained tower breaks and bends knee to the forgotten sign. The seas rage, and stormclouds gather unseen. Beyond the horizon, hidden fires swell, and serpents nestle in the bosom. What was exalted is cast down; what was cast down is raised up. Order burns to clear his path.

The Prophecies of the Dragon translation by Jeorad Manyard Governor of the Province of Andor for the High King, Artur Paendrag Tanreall
This answer, you may notice, was given to us by Elayne's ancestor.