art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7611

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > WHEEL OF TIME FORUMS > General Wheel of Time Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 04-24-2012, 09:18 AM
Inbred, Ugly, and Drunk on Corn Liquor

Sei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Fun with Callandor!

I think this is the second theory I've posed in my 12 years at TL.

At Jcon, I was sitting outside having a smoke on saturday and Maria came out. I had already told her that I was one TLer who wouldn't bother her with questions while she was out there, so she came and sat. After a few minutes someone came up and asked her a question about Callandor and it made me start thinking about things and I came up with a theory. The question was "Does Callandor have a buffer for women when being used during a link that protects the male channeler?"

The answer was a RAFO.

Anyway, this got me thinking and I talked to Tam a bit about it and also to Dai Shan and Yks.

Now, to get into this and give you my perspective on it. I hate the idea of Rand transfering to Moridins body, or of Rand getting killed and being reborn through TaR. I think it's too easy.

Here's my theory:

Alivia and Nyn will be linked with Rand to use Callandor. A woman has to meld the flows, and since Alivia is used to and very good in battle, she will be in control. During the fight with Moridin, ALivia kills Moridin and Rand also dies because of the link between he and Mor.

Now, there is a lot of foreshadowing all through the series about healing death. It can't be healed. We all know this, it's been stated over and over to the point that you can't ignore it anymore...Rand even tries it while using Callandor. We also know that when Rand was using Callandor, he had experiences wielding new and unfamiliar weaves with the power.

What if Alivia kills Moridin, and Rand in the process, and Callandor which obviously knows the Dragon and perhaps carries some of his essence, is able to help Nyn bring Rand back? Rand may be the only person who can be healed because of the essence that Callandor carries.

www.buckeyestation.com look at it, love it, share it with your friends!
Old 04-24-2012, 09:25 AM
Elder

Zombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Zombie Sammael

A couple of initial thoughts/questions:

1. I'm not so sure about the "you can't heal death" thing being foreshadowing. It appears to just be the rules of the game. What we have seen are a couple examples of people getting around death, but not necessarily being healed; Birgitte and the resurrected Forsaken. If Rand is to come back from death, I expect it to be via something like one of these two methods, rather than being "healed" from death as such.

2. What's your evidence for their being a specific "essence" within Callandor that the Dragon is linked to? I know it was only possible for Rand to release it at first, not anyone else; is this what you're referring to?

Master of the lightnings, rider on the storm,
wearer of a crown of swords, spinner out of fate.
Who thinks he turns the Wheel of Time,
may learn the truth too late.

Light is held before the maw of the infinite void, and all that he is can be seized.

The one who Death has known
Old 04-24-2012, 09:50 AM
Youngling

Boberoo is an unknown quantity at this point

I like this theory in part.

I could def. see Rand dying when Alivia, using Callandor, kills Moridin, which in turns kills Rand.

However, instead of being healed by callandor, what if rand is instead "brought back to life" when Mat blows the Horn?

i could totally see that happening, and would allow for him "to live, you must die"
Old 04-24-2012, 12:02 PM
Hero of the Horn

Ishara has disabled reputation
Send a message via MSN to Ishara

Ah, but that leads to the issue of "Rand getting killed and being reborn through TaR" that Taer doesn't support, and is a different theory all together.

After all, Heroes live in Tel'arand'rhiod when they're not busy being reborn.

Rand: You are an insensitive bastard!!!
Mat: And you ruined another hat!

It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by lightening. -- Calvin

"Gee, I wish I could do magic! Maybe I'll try!" --SDog

Official Vixen of Theoryland and Theoryland Siren

Grain Goddess, the Rood Inverse, the Mad Glomper
Old 04-24-2012, 01:30 PM
Inbred, Ugly, and Drunk on Corn Liquor

Sei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond repute

Working right now, but when I get home I'll be able to reply to you all.

www.buckeyestation.com look at it, love it, share it with your friends!
Old 04-24-2012, 03:45 PM
Youngling

aleuthard is an unknown quantity at this point

I suspect Callandor was designed and will be used for the purpose of resealing the bore. There is no direct evidence I can find, but there is reference to many unknown flaws in it as a sa'angreal. I'm convinced it was designed without a buffer to allow The Dragon to pull a maximum amount of saidin, leading to his death. I'm guessing it was also designed to not allow blowback of the type that caused the Taint; a feature built in by women who saw the results of.the first attempt at sealing.

As for whether it allows Rand to live again or not...I think that will be more related to his dueling evil injuries
Old 04-24-2012, 10:31 PM
Youngling

Flinn Sedai is just really niceFlinn Sedai is just really niceFlinn Sedai is just really niceFlinn Sedai is just really nice

I have to say, I really like the idea of the flaw in Callandor allowing a soul to enter. It'd be a good way for Rand to come back (short of my preference of TAR), and keeps his soul safe from the Dark One. Even if Rand doesn't come back to life, it continues the whole dead but alive, which is mentioned at least 3 million times in the books.
Old 04-25-2012, 12:41 AM
Hero of the Horn

Frenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Frenzy Send a message via Yahoo to Frenzy

There's a difference between Mostly Dead and All Dead. This flaw may let Nynaeve play Miracle Max and bring Rand back to life and back to his three true loves.

It would work, but it seems almost too Scooby Doo-ish of an ending.

"How the hell do you Godwin a thread with CUCUMBERS!!?" -- Tru

"I love cucumber prawn... " -- Ivhon

"Have to catch me first. Scared shitless always outruns mad as hell." -- Sinistrum

"Some days I'm happy Frenzy doesn't live next door." -- Tamyrlin

"So Frenzy is a scientist then?" -- Davian
"Well duh. An Evil scientist. " -- Khoram
Old 04-25-2012, 08:30 AM
Elder

Lupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud of

This is getting very close to Horcrux territory

"Yeah, but obviously the Great Serpent doesn't have an actual corpse which would be of any help in strangling Rand al'Thor; for a start, if there was an actual serpent encircling the world, it would be monumentally huge, and trying to strangle someone with it would lead more to a sort of crushing." - Zombie Sammael

Selective Necrophiliac
Old 04-25-2012, 08:38 AM
Youngling

Oden will become famous soon enoughOden will become famous soon enough

What chocolate coated pill will Nynaeve use?
Old 04-25-2012, 09:11 AM
Hero of the Horn

SauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to SauceyBlueConfetti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenzy View Post
There's a difference between Mostly Dead and All Dead. This flaw may let Nynaeve play Miracle Max and bring Rand back to life and back to his three true loves.

It would work, but it seems almost too Scooby Doo-ish of an ending.
It is interesting though when you take into account the way Myrddraal blades are wrought at Thankan'dar...the soul of a person is used to temper the blade and give it evil and/or taint the weapon to the point of poison. The reverse could be true with Callandor; Rand's soul could be used somehow to strenghten the blade during the Last Battle.

Also calls to mind the blade Drangnipur from Malazan Book of the Fallen; souls are trapped within the actual blade (well, in simplified terms).
Yeah. Murderous Saucey. My superhero name
I am Detroit. You REALLY wanna call me wimpy?
Haphazardly Spell & Fact Checked Since June 2001
Old 04-25-2012, 04:07 PM
Hero of the Horn

Weird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by SauceyBlueConfetti View Post
Also calls to mind the blade Drangnipur from Malazan Book of the Fallen; souls are trapped within the actual blade (well, in simplified terms).
There is an older inspiration for fantasy swords that drink souls; one RJ would have been exposed to in his youth,as the elric saga was very popular with the Vietnam Era military.

(Now if I could just figure out which questions they go to. )

I met you in a past life. You were wrong then, too.
Old 04-25-2012, 04:15 PM
Elder

Zombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond repute

Is it then assumed that a Fade's sword kills in a similar way to Stormbringer, by draining the soul, and that Callandor, in storing the soul safely, is the opposite? I have to say I'd be more convinced if there was more apparent foreshadowing, but that's not to say I'd be overlooking it.

Good catch with Stormbringer, by the way, Weird Harold.

Light is held before the maw of the infinite void, and all that he is can be seized.

Old 04-25-2012, 04:41 PM
Youngling

Flinn Sedai is just really niceFlinn Sedai is just really niceFlinn Sedai is just really niceFlinn Sedai is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Sammael View Post
Is it then assumed that a Fade's sword kills in a similar way to Stormbringer, by draining the soul, and that Callandor, in storing the soul safely, is the opposite? I have to say I'd be more convinced if there was more apparent foreshadowing, but that's not to say I'd be overlooking it.

Good catch with Stormbringer, by the way, Weird Harold.
Do we have any evidence that a Fade's soul drains a soul? My understanding was just that it is like poison.
Old 04-25-2012, 04:43 PM
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flinn Sedai View Post
Do we have any evidence that a Fade's soul drains a soul? My understanding was just that it is like poison.
Well, there are other things such as mashadar which kill instantly and drain the soul, so it's not a total leap. But it might just be an effect of the Shadow being destructive. I doubt Darkhounds drain the soul and they are supposedly insta-lethal as well.

Old 04-25-2012, 04:46 PM
Youngling

Quote:
Well, there are other things such as mashadar which kill instantly and drain the soul, so it's not a total leap. But it might just be an effect of the Shadow being destructive. I doubt Darkhounds drain the soul and they are supposedly insta-lethal as well.
Well, Mashadar, definitely, and we do have evidence that Darkhounds consume souls, albeit indirectly, and only wolves.

I'm not saying that things of the Shadow can't drain souls. I'm just saying I don't know of any evidence that a Fade's blade can. For example, Mashadar victims are completely beyond healing, despite being outwardly alright. Fade's blades, though deadly, can be healed.
Old 04-25-2012, 05:02 PM
Elder

Quote:
Well, Mashadar, definitely, and we do have evidence that Darkhounds consume souls, albeit indirectly, and only wolves.

I'm not saying that things of the Shadow can't drain souls. I'm just saying I don't know of any evidence that a Fade's blade can. For example, Mashadar victims are completely beyond healing, despite being outwardly alright. Fade's blades, though deadly, can be healed.
Actually, I just found a reference (whilst looking for something else) that the BWB says a Fadeblade is "seasoned with a human soul", so there's some evidence.

Old 04-25-2012, 05:03 PM
Youngling

Quote:
Actually, I just found a reference (whilst looking for something else) that the BWB says a Fadeblade is "seasoned with a human soul", so there's some evidence.
They sacrifice a human, while making the blade. That's what makes it deadly.
Old 04-25-2012, 05:05 PM
Elder

Quote:
They sacrifice a human, while making the blade. That's what makes it deadly.
Doesn't that suggest to you that it is draining the soul at least at first, and that the deadliness is a result of it affecting the soul? It did to me, which may be why I thought of it in the first place.

Old 04-25-2012, 05:32 PM
Youngling

Quote:
Doesn't that suggest to you that it is draining the soul at least at first, and that the deadliness is a result of it affecting the soul? It did to me, which may be why I thought of it in the first place.
Oh, I understand now. I thought you had been saying that a Fade's blade, post-creation (the soul-seasoning being part of the creation), means it can consume a soul. That just seemed confusing, to me.

Also, who wants some soul-seasoning on their steak? Mmmmm

Tags
callandor