art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7611

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > WHEEL OF TIME FORUMS > General Wheel of Time Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 04-25-2012, 01:09 PM
Youngling

Tomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant future
Default Ogiers and Tinkers

I have thought about this a little.

A small spoiler warning for those infidels who hasn't read ToM yet.

We know that Loial will be talking at the Great Stump, trying to convince the Ogier to fight in the last battle instead of running away.
He will probably succeed in that, although the Ogier will be stuck in their ways and not easily persuaded.

Well then, how will they fight.
They have no, or very little battle training.

I think that they will do something similar as was described in Rand's past lives when he walked among the columns in Rhuidean.

I also think that the Tinkers will be involved. They will find their song and will sing it together with the Ogier.
The Tinkers have not done much in this book series, except provide the story element for the Aiel history.

I don't have anything to back it up with except my gut feeling.

I know that several of you are more steeped in WoT lore.
Whereas I am a fanatic, you are borderline psycotic. But, in a good way.
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read. (Marx)
Old 04-25-2012, 01:26 PM
Elder

Zombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Zombie Sammael

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomp View Post
I have thought about this a little.

A small spoiler warning for those infidels who hasn't read ToM yet.

We know that Loial will be talking at the Great Stump, trying to convince the Ogier to fight in the last battle instead of running away.
He will probably succeed in that, although the Ogier will be stuck in their ways and not easily persuaded.

Well then, how will they fight.
They have no, or very little battle training.
There is at least one group of Ogier who have at least a little experience of battle: the Seanchan Deathwatch Guards. How much contact, if any, they have with the present day Randland Ogier is unknown. It's possible they have none, but it's also possible there is communication between them. I've always found the Ogier Gardeners fascinating; why choose to submit to the Seanchan Empress? Why abandon the historical links between Ogier and Aes Sedai to support collaring? What did the Seanchan Aes Sedai do to anger the Ogier and bring the mountains down on their own heads?

Quote:
I think that they will do something similar as was described in Rand's past lives when he walked among the columns in Rhuidean.

I also think that the Tinkers will be involved. They will find their song and will sing it together with the Ogier.
The Tinkers have not done much in this book series, except provide the story element for the Aiel history.

I don't have anything to back it up with except my gut feeling.

I know that several of you are more steeped in WoT lore.
Whereas I am a fanatic, you are borderline psycotic. But, in a good way.
There is actually a theory about this.

Master of the lightnings, rider on the storm,
wearer of a crown of swords, spinner out of fate.
Who thinks he turns the Wheel of Time,
may learn the truth too late.

Light is held before the maw of the infinite void, and all that he is can be seized.

The one who Death has known
Old 04-25-2012, 01:28 PM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Off the wall theory: The Seanchan Ogier/Deathwatch Guard are the true power in Seanchan and the Empress, may she live forever, is just their puppet.

Sure, there's zero evidence in the books for such a theory but I'm throwing it out there anyway.

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Theoryland: Just Some Crazy In A Pot
Old 04-25-2012, 01:37 PM
Youngling

Tomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Sammael View Post
There is at least one group of Ogier who have at least a little experience of battle: the Seanchan Deathwatch Guards. How much contact, if any, they have with the present day Randland Ogier is unknown. It's possible they have none, but it's also possible there is communication between them. I've always found the Ogier Gardeners fascinating; why choose to submit to the Seanchan Empress? Why abandon the historical links between Ogier and Aes Sedai to support collaring? What did the Seanchan Aes Sedai do to anger the Ogier and bring the mountains down on their own heads?
I wouldn't be surprised if the Ogier was forced to send young males to the empire's surface in exchange for using steddings within the seanchan empire.

After a couple of hundred years it became a normal way of doing things. Maybe some old Ogier still remember a time before servitude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Sammael View Post
There is actually a theory about this.
I wouldn't say this is the idea I put forward. The one you linked to goes way beyond that and is kind of nutty.
I know it was last years looney theories winner.
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read. (Marx)
Old 04-27-2012, 09:09 AM
Youngling

Daemin is an unknown quantity at this point

Its mentioned in one of the later books that the Ogier deathwatch guards are not property like the human ones, and that the arrangement is private between the Ogier and the Empress. I'm thinking that rules out any argument that they are slaves.
Old 04-27-2012, 09:23 AM
Youngling

Cortar is a glorious beacon of lightCortar is a glorious beacon of lightCortar is a glorious beacon of lightCortar is a glorious beacon of lightCortar is a glorious beacon of lightCortar is a glorious beacon of lightCortar is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemin View Post
Its mentioned in one of the later books that the Ogier deathwatch guards are not property like the human ones, and that the arrangement is private between the Ogier and the Empress. I'm thinking that rules out any argument that they are slaves.
Just because they claim they aren't slaves doesn't actually make them not slaves
Old 04-27-2012, 12:32 PM
Youngling

maleshub is a jewel in the roughmaleshub is a jewel in the roughmaleshub is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortar View Post
Just because they claim they aren't slaves doesn't actually make them not slaves
Unless there is a text or explanation of the agreement between the Empress and Seanchan Ogier, then claiming they are slaves is pure speculation.

Ogier can neutralize the Empire's greatest strength: Damane. And they can provide excellent and unique services to the Empire.

My assumption is that they are "honored citizens" in the Empire. And they provide a set number of Gardeners to the Throne. These Gardeners change every few years to overcome the longing.
Old 04-27-2012, 12:38 PM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by maleshub View Post
Unless there is a text or explanation of the agreement between the Empress and Seanchan Ogier, then claiming they are slaves is pure speculation.

Ogier can neutralize the Empire's greatest strength: Damane. And they can provide excellent and unique services to the Empire.

My assumption is that they are "honored citizens" in the Empire. And they provide a set number of Gardeners to the Throne. These Gardeners change every few years to overcome the longing.
Couple minor problems here:

1. Ogier arent immune to channeling unless they're in their stedding.

2. Seanchan Ogier dont suffer from the Longing.

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Old 04-27-2012, 12:40 PM
Youngling

Oden will become famous soon enoughOden will become famous soon enough

Quote:
They don't need to visit the Stedding as the Ogier east of the Aryth Ocean do.
Quote:
WEEK 3 QUESTION
How do the Seanchan Ogier cope with the Longing, given that their duties in the Deathwatch Guard take them overseas? Are there many stedding in Seanchan?
ROBERT JORDAN
There are many more stedding in Seanchan than there are in the part of the world where the story is taking place, and that is why the Seanchan Ogier don't suffer from the Longing. Because there are so many more stedding, they were able to find them more easily even during the Breaking and therefore never had the very extended separation that Ogier on this side of the Aryth Ocean had, though they seldom were able to settle in one for very long until the Breaking ended.
Old 04-27-2012, 01:22 PM
Youngling

maleshub is a jewel in the roughmaleshub is a jewel in the roughmaleshub is a jewel in the rough

Thanks for the corrections, Oden and Davian; and for teaching me something that I was unaware of.

My reference to neutralizing damane was meant for the steddings, not the Ogier. They are immune to damane inside the steddings.

On the original point, I just ran into the quote about the status of Ogier Gardeners.

Path of Daggers; Kadere PoV in the battle against Rand: "Ogier Gardeners were not marked or owned; but that was between them and the Empress."
Old 04-27-2012, 01:26 PM
Youngling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davian93 View Post
1. Ogier arent immune to channeling unless they're in their stedding.
Do we know this?

Have there been channeling done at Ogiers in the books?

They are bound to and maybe even part of the stedding.
Old 04-27-2012, 01:29 PM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomp View Post
Do we know this?

Have there been channeling done at Ogiers in the books?

They are bound to and maybe even part of the stedding.
A complete and utter assumption that no creature is immune to channeling outside of the gholam. I would think it would be noted somewhere if Ogier had a similar protection outside of their residence within the Stedding (which itself is not complete protection given the existence of Wells for channeling).

Old 04-27-2012, 01:36 PM
Youngling

My assumption is that there is protection or immunity from OP weaves directed at the person (shields, air wraps and gags, and the like); but elemental attacks are different: lightning and fireballs.

Mat died by lightning when Rahvin hit him; and Joline's fireball in Hindersap (sp.) didn't disappear when it came near him. If anyone has a reference on the subject, I would love to read it.

If elemental attacks are an exception, then Ogier would not be immune to them. But that leaves the question of "was the gholem immune to elemental attacks?"
Old 04-27-2012, 01:57 PM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
My assumption is that there is protection or immunity from OP weaves directed at the person (shields, air wraps and gags, and the like); but elemental attacks are different: lightning and fireballs.

Mat died by lightning when Rahvin hit him; and Joline's fireball in Hindersap (sp.) didn't disappear when it came near him. If anyone has a reference on the subject, I would love to read it.

If elemental attacks are an exception, then Ogier would not be immune to them. But that leaves the question of "was the gholem immune to elemental attacks?"
I think if someone lobbed a stone into a Stedding, it would obviously hit/kill whatever it landed on...the same as if they caused a lightning strike.

Other than that, I dont see how that helps Ogier outside the stedding.

Old 04-27-2012, 02:04 PM
Youngling

Quote:
I think if someone lobbed a stone into a Stedding, it would obviously hit/kill whatever it landed on...the same as if they caused a lightning strike.

Other than that, I dont see how that helps Ogier outside the stedding.
I am not arguing that Ogier are immune to the OP outside the stedding. I never intended to say that; and I don't believe they are.

My post was an aside on immunity or protection from the OP. It seems that elemental attacks with the OP kill persons with something like Mat's terangreal. Would these elemental attacks also strike persons with other kinds of protection (if there are any - like the gholam)?
Old 04-27-2012, 02:08 PM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
I am not arguing that Ogier are immune to the OP outside the stedding. I never intended to say that; and I don't believe they are.

My post was an aside on immunity or protection from the OP. It seems that elemental attacks with the OP kill persons with something like Mat's terangreal. Would these elemental attacks also strike persons with other kinds of protection (if there are any - like the gholam)?
I'm sure if you threw a rock with the OP at a gholam, it would maybe slow it down. The problem would be hitting it as they are fast and it making any bit of a difference given that stabbing one doesnt matter at all so I doubt hitting it with a rock would either...the same with a lightning bolt.

Old 04-27-2012, 02:13 PM
Youngling

Flinn Sedai is just really niceFlinn Sedai is just really niceFlinn Sedai is just really niceFlinn Sedai is just really nice

Quote:

It has to do with whether it is direct, or indirect.

For example, the reason the lightning was still able to kill Mat, was because the channeling was directed at the clouds, to cause real lightning. Balefire, on the other hand, disappears, because the actual weaves are hitting him (or rather, not).

If you tear up the earth under his feet, he'll die. If you try to set him on fire, he'll be fine.
Old 04-28-2012, 04:05 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flinn Sedai View Post
If you tear up the earth under his feet, he'll die. If you try to set him on fire, he'll be fine.
Set the earth under him on fire, then. Let him try tap dancing on a lava lake.
Old 04-28-2012, 08:25 AM
Youngling

Swordcrowned is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
A complete and utter assumption that no creature is immune to channeling outside of the gholam. I would think it would be noted somewhere if Ogier had a similar protection outside of their residence within the Stedding (which itself is not complete protection given the existence of Wells for channeling).
Does a Well work in a stedding? We know that it works in Far Madding, but the Guardians only block you from accessing the One Power. It doesn't work the same as a stedding.
Old 04-28-2012, 08:30 AM
Youngling

Flinn Sedai is just really niceFlinn Sedai is just really niceFlinn Sedai is just really niceFlinn Sedai is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swordcrowned View Post
Does a Well work in a stedding? We know that it works in Far Madding, but the Guardians only block you from accessing the One Power. It doesn't work the same as a stedding.
It's been heavily implied that it does.