art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7653

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > WHEEL OF TIME FORUMS > General Wheel of Time Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 04-26-2012, 12:04 PM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Heroe's Names

This might be a dumb question but I simply cannot recall: Have we ever been given an explanation as to how people in Randland know who the Heroes of the Horn are and how they know them by names?

I mean, we know for a fact that Birgitte is not named Birgitte in each of her rebirths but everyone seemingly knows that "Birgitte is a Hero of the Horn, Gaidal Cain is a Hero of the Horn, Artur Hawkwing is a Hero, etc etc"

If they were just amazing people that were born at random intervals under different names, why would anyone even know they wre Heros and expect them to return via the Horn?...A Horn that was never even used during either the 3rd Age or AoL until Mat blew it at Falme.

I mean, I could see where we would have certain archetypes associated with stories, "A great female bowman", etc etc but how did they even know the following at Falme:

Quote:
TITLE: Great Hunt
CHAPTER: 47 - The Grave Is No Bar to My Call
Rogosh Eagle-eye, a fatherly looking man with white hair and eyes so sharp as to make his name merely a hint. Gaidal Cain, a swarthy man with the hilts of his two swords sticking above his broad shoulders. Golden-haired Birgitte, with her gleaming silver bow and quiver bristling with silver arrows. More. He knew their faces, knew their names. But he heard a hundred names when he looked at each face, some so different he did not recognize them as names at all, though he knew they were. Michael instead of Mikel. Patrick instead of Paedrig. Oscar instead of Otarin.
How do gleeman even know who the Heroes are? Is it just a lucky guess based on their exploits and the similiaries in their accomplishments that allows them to figure out that every female heroine good with a bow is likely the Birgitte soul?

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Theoryland: Just Some Crazy In A Pot
Old 04-26-2012, 12:19 PM
Youngling

Boli is just really niceBoli is just really niceBoli is just really niceBoli is just really nice

This was from Rand's POV; given how Hawkwing knows him it stands to reason he is bound to the horn as well. So seeing them all the bounderies between the reality of TAR and the horn and his normal life would be blurred somewhat.

It would be interesting to see when it is blown again if other people experiance it or if it is just a "hero of the horn" kind of thing.
Old 04-26-2012, 12:21 PM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boli View Post
This was from Rand's POV; given how Hawkwing knows him it stands to reason he is bound to the horn as well. So seeing them all the bounderies between the reality of TAR and the horn and his normal life would be blurred somewhat.

It would be interesting to see when it is blown again if other people experiance it or if it is just a "hero of the horn" kind of thing.
Yeah, I know that. Rand, as a Hero himself, would obviously have a better connection to the others as they are all bound to the Horn. I was thinking of "How are there even gleeman stories about the Heroes if they have different names in each rebirth? How would you know that that amazing person was a Hero but Joe Random Hero was just some ordinary amazing guy?"

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Old 04-26-2012, 12:42 PM
Hero of the Horn

WinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to WinespringBrother

Their names aren't set in stone, and probably change through the ages, as do the memories of their legends:

Quote:
Great Hunt CH: 47 - The Grave Is No Bar to My Call
Rogosh Eagle-eye, a fatherly looking man with white hair and eyes so sharp as to make his name merely a hint. Gaidal Cain, a swarthy man with the hilts of his two swords sticking above his broad shoulders. Golden-haired Birgitte, with her gleaming silver bow and quiver bristling with silver arrows. More. He knew their faces, knew their names. But he heard a hundred names when he looked at each face, some so different he did not recognize them as names at all, though he knew they were. Michael instead of Mikel. Patrick instead of Paedrig. Oscar instead of Otarin.
As for how each hero is recognized and credited with whatever heroic feats accomplished by all their incarnations, who knows how accurate these attributions of greatness really are? Though it makes sense that with the various mechanisms available to the Wheel, such as heroes who can be reborn with full memories such as Birgitte, Finns who can hold and dispense historical knowledge, ter'angreal that can store information, races with longevity and good record keeping such as the Ogier, and wolves who have the ability to remember and pass along knowledge through the ages, that some of the knowledge about reborn Heroes can be preserved (even accurately to an extent).

"Oh, y'all [Theorylanders] are awesome with awesome sauce, but you ask a lot of tricky questions. I had to watch myself with you guys." - Maria

"I need to RAFO more things, I'm not being very Robert Jordan..." - Brandon
Old 04-26-2012, 08:28 PM
Hero of the Horn

Weird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davian93 View Post
How do gleeman even know who the Heroes are? Is it just a lucky guess based on their exploits and the similiaries in their accomplishments that allows them to figure out that every female heroine good with a bow is likely the Birgitte soul?
I thought we had reached a consensus long ago that the Heroes are known by the name they bore in their last incarnation -- or at least their best known incarnation.

Birgitte herself laments that she didn't do half the stuff that Gleemen credit her with.

My personal understanding is that Gleemen maintain the Heroes presence in T'A'R, and their appearance, by inspiring a "group dream" in the general populace. The actual Heroes, however, are Archetypal (heroic) Souls that inhabit the "puppets" generated by Gleemen's tales -- they bear no particular relationship to the characters in gleemen's tales except as the archetype the tale is spun around.

In most cases, the Gleemen build on the actual heroic actions of the most recent incarnation, but the image and history are entirely fictional. Thus Birgitte bears little or no resemblance to her actual appearance in her last incarnation, but the tales of Birgitte Silverbow provide an "anchor" in the Common Dream for the Female Archer Archetype to inhabit while waiting to be spun back out.

(Now if I could just figure out which questions they go to. )

I met you in a past life. You were wrong then, too.
Old 04-26-2012, 08:50 PM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
I thought we had reached a consensus long ago that the Heroes are known by the name they bore in their last incarnation -- or at least their best known incarnation.
Oh yeah, I completely understand that part. Its more of the "how do we even know that random female heroine is actually a Birgitte incarnation and not just some random female heroine.

Quote:
In most cases, the Gleemen build on the actual heroic actions of the most recent incarnation, but the image and history are entirely fictional. Thus Birgitte bears little or no resemblance to her actual appearance in her last incarnation, but the tales of Birgitte Silverbow provide an "anchor" in the Common Dream for the Female Archer Archetype to inhabit while waiting to be spun back out.
That makes a bit more sense than anything else. It just seems odd is all. Other than meeting another Hero in TAR (forbidden by the precepts), it would be impossible to get a listing of all the Heroes.

Old 04-26-2012, 11:33 PM
Hero of the Horn

Weird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant future

Quote:
Oh yeah, I completely understand that part. Its more of the "how do we even know that random female heroine is actually a Birgitte incarnation and not just some random female heroine.
We don't. If enough Gleemen tell enough tales, that randome female heroine's name will get attached to the Birgitte Soul, whether Birgitte deserves the credit or not.

The Pattern probably doesn't allow random female archers to gain enough notoriety to "take over" Birgitte's place in tHotH, while it simultaneously sees to it that the real Birgitte Soul gets as notorious as possible to overshadow any pretenders who might be around.

Quote:
That makes a bit more sense than anything else. It just seems odd is all. Other than meeting another Hero in TAR (forbidden by the precepts), it would be impossible to get a listing of all the Heroes.
True. Even Rand didn't recognize some of the heroes in the background. Heroes fade away as their legends fade from popularity -- they still answer the Horn, but as faceless, formless, spear carriers in the back of the company.

Only the HotH know the full roster, and even then there's likely to be a few "Whathisface" and "YouKnowWho" attributions for those in the back.

Old 04-27-2012, 04:28 PM
Hero of the Horn

Ishara has disabled reputation
Send a message via MSN to Ishara

Plus, while a lot of the tales attributed to Birgitte aren't hers, some of the ones NOT attributed to her are - like the one of Elmiara and the Shadoweyes, which is really about her trip to the Tower with Gaidal Cain.

I suppose it works both ways...

Rand: You are an insensitive bastard!!!
Mat: And you ruined another hat!

It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by lightening. -- Calvin

"Gee, I wish I could do magic! Maybe I'll try!" --SDog

Official Vixen of Theoryland and Theoryland Siren

Grain Goddess, the Rood Inverse, the Mad Glomper
Old 04-27-2012, 09:18 PM
Hero of the Horn

Frenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Frenzy Send a message via Yahoo to Frenzy

Easy answer is it's a Gleemen's job to know the good stories. Good stories need epic heroes, legendary journeys, thrilling battles, tragic lovestories, etc. You know, the stuff that Heroes do.

Rand ruminating about their "other, older" names to either show that Rand's an odd duck and can see depth in the Pattern, he's tied deeply to the Pattern being the Dragon Reborn and all, or it's a literary device RJ used to demonstrate his cyclical reincarnation cosmology.

Although... Hero of the Horn is kind of a misnomer. The Horn calls the Heroes, but the Heroes are bound to the Wheel and await rebirth in Tel'aran'rhiod. The Horn is just a tool used to call the heroes to fight in the last battle. That too is a Gleeman's tale.

"How the hell do you Godwin a thread with CUCUMBERS!!?" -- Tru

"I love cucumber prawn... " -- Ivhon

"Have to catch me first. Scared shitless always outruns mad as hell." -- Sinistrum

"Some days I'm happy Frenzy doesn't live next door." -- Tamyrlin

"So Frenzy is a scientist then?" -- Davian
"Well duh. An Evil scientist. " -- Khoram
Old 05-06-2012, 07:07 AM
Elder

Jonai has much to be proud ofJonai has much to be proud ofJonai has much to be proud ofJonai has much to be proud ofJonai has much to be proud ofJonai has much to be proud ofJonai has much to be proud ofJonai has much to be proud ofJonai has much to be proud ofJonai has much to be proud ofJonai has much to be proud of
Send a message via ICQ to Jonai Send a message via AIM to Jonai Send a message via MSN to Jonai Send a message via Skype™ to Jonai

I like the idea that "Birgitte" or Gaidal Cain" or what not were the original incarnations that were first bound to the Wheel. Each additional spinning is a variation on the original theme. Similar to the Age Lace, where different turnings of the Wheel look quite similar from a distance but have more variation the closer you examine them. So The Wheel spins out variations and occassionally spins out a "true" or at least a variation that is similar to the original. Often enough that people recognize it and lump in the variations that might, say have only the weapon and gender in common, i.e. Birgitte's Maerion, in with the original. Doesn't explain why ole hawkwinger called Rand Lews Therin, but perhaps names are interchangeable when you know the soul.
Old 05-06-2012, 09:33 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonai View Post
Doesn't explain why ole hawkwinger called Rand Lews Therin, but perhaps names are interchangeable when you know the soul.
At the time of Falme, Rand Al'Thor wasn't a name known to many. Hawkwing addressed him by the name of his last incarnation.

Old 05-06-2012, 09:04 PM
Hero of the Horn

Totally random thought on the whole Hawkwing/LTT thing. We know both just hang out in TAR while they're awaiting rebirth. So, how was LTT during that last 3500 years in TAR? Was he whining/half insane about Ilyena or was he completely above board/normal because that was just one of many rebirths?

I mean, what is their baseline?

Old 05-06-2012, 09:24 PM
Hero of the Horn

Crispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Totally random thought on the whole Hawkwing/LTT thing. We know both just hang out in TAR while they're awaiting rebirth. So, how was LTT during that last 3500 years in TAR? Was he whining/half insane about Ilyena or was he completely above board/normal because that was just one of many rebirths?

I mean, what is their baseline?
Well, if you believe the Construct Theory, LTT's whiny, insane self was only Rand's interpretation of the man's personality. We really might not have any idea what he was actually like.

My hunch is that tney have a specific personality that sustains through eternity. Birgitte is always the sarcastic, tom-boy type who does right thing but likes to party. Gaidal Cain is always strict and gruff and LTT always bends over backwards for the ladies. It is the personality of the soul when it was initially bound.
Old 05-06-2012, 09:26 PM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crispin's Crispian View Post
Well, if you believe the Construct Theory, LTT's whiny, insane self was only Rand's interpretation of the man's personality. We really might not have any idea what he was actually like.

My hunch is that tney have a specific personality that sustains through eternity. Birgitte is always the sarcastic, tom-boy type who does right thing but likes to party. Gaidal Cain is always strict and gruff and LTT always bends over backwards for the ladies. It is the personality of the soul when it was initially bound.
I wasnt thinking of the voice in Rand's head but rather his last few moments of life after Ishy "healed" him...

Old 12-15-2012, 09:11 PM
Youngling

Lost One is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Really awesome thread

I really like the idea of how they are kept alive in TAR by a group dream.

I think that it is usually suspected after the fact that "Bob Really Awesomeguy" was a HotH. Such as Tom talking about stories might have been her under a different name.. but the Bow is always mentioned. Basically, I think that it is after the fact supposition. Other than Birgitte and AH, very little, or next to nothing is known about the HotH by the readers. I mean we know Gaidel, is gruff, ugly, and uses two swords. While AH sounds like a reasonably good man from his conversation with Rand in the TGH, and stories tell how the common man found justice under his rule.. personally, I thought he was a a-hole for his war against the AS. I mean he was influenced by Ishmael (kill theh AS, send your Armies over the ocean, yada yada). But we know nothing really of Mikel of the Pureheart, Ameresu with the Sword of the Sun, Otarin or the other 95 or so.

"Is this all of you?" There were little more than a hundred, Rand saw, and realised that somehow he had known that there would be" TGH, chapt 47.

So barring any HotH's who might be alive right now, there are only about 100. though Olver/GC is too small to fight at TG, he will be swinging two swords in a decade or so. While no one from Randland, may know his soul now, bards, gleeman, and storytellers of the future will most likely peg him as Gaidel Cain.
Old 12-16-2012, 05:45 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost One View Post
So barring any HotH's who might be alive right now, there are only about 100. though Olver/GC is too small to fight at TG, he will be swinging two swords in a decade or so. While no one from Randland, may know his soul now, bards, gleeman, and storytellers of the future will most likely peg him as Gaidel Cain.
That may be because he isn't. RJ has confirmed that Olver is the wrong age to even possibly be Gaidal Cain.

May not stop him from becoming a two sword expert, of course, but if so, he stil would not be Gaidal.
Old 12-16-2012, 03:58 PM
Youngling

Lost One is an unknown quantity at this point
Default BUT WHY NOT

LOL Gonzo.. Stop blowing holes in my theories.

I am lazy and not going to look up references, because I think we have read the books over and over so many times.

Clues:

1: We keep getting told that time is different between the waking world and TAR
2: We keep getting hammered about how ugly Olver is.
3:Olver is getting weapons training (as well as womanizing skills) from the pretty much the top cadre in the Band
4:Birgette loves ugly men
5:Soon after meeting Birgitte, Min has a veiwing of her tied to a male figure, sometimes older, sometimes younger

If all of these are random circumstances.. it is one of the few times that so many clues added up to nothing.

I guess we have to wait and see if Gaidel shows up when Mat toots on the Horn.

If he is not.. I wonder what Birgitte will do when see sees him after Mat blows the Horn
Old 12-17-2012, 04:49 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Gaidal won't show up, as he has been reborn now. From the interview database:
Quote:
Interview: Jan 16th, 2003
COT Signing Report - Tim Kington (Paraphrased)
Question
Is Olver Gaidal Cain?
Robert Jordan
No. I didn't really think that this would last as long as it has. The timing is wrong. He has another reason for being there besides being a red herring, though.
QUESTION
He's too old.
ROBERT JORDAN
Yes. Time in Tel'aran'rhiod and the real world run at different rates, but it never runs backwards. You may spend an hour in Tel'aran'rhiod, and a day has passed when you get back, or you may spend a day, and an hour has passed when you get back, but you'll never go in on Tuesday and come back on Monday.
---------
Justin Lee (18 January 2011)
Any thoughts on my "Mat is Gaidal Cain" theory? His time with the snakes/foxes makes me wonder.
Brandon Sanderson (18 January 2011)
Do you REALLY want me to weigh in on this?
JUSTIN LEE
Absolutely! Though I'm likely to get a RAFO
BRANDON SANDERSON
Well, as I remember, RJ said that Olver was too old to be Gaidal Cain. If Olver's to old, then Mat...
JUSTIN LEE
He's certainly going to be late to the Big Show if he was naturally born after Olver.
BRANDON SANDERSON
Gaidal has been reborn, and I do know who he is, and he is younger than Olver. (Sorry.)
BRIAN CAYEN
Not sure if this was asked but have we seen Gaidal Cain reincarnated "on screen"?
BRANDON SANDERSON
RAFO on Cain, I'm afraid.
Old 12-17-2012, 07:00 AM
Elder

Zombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Zombie Sammael

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonzoTheGreat View Post
Gaidal won't show up, as he has been reborn now. From the interview database:
That doesn't mean he won't show up. In conversation with Lupus last night I suggested Birgitte may find him as a baby during TG and raise him as an adopted child. They always love each other, but maybe not always in the same way.

Master of the lightnings, rider on the storm,
wearer of a crown of swords, spinner out of fate.
Who thinks he turns the Wheel of Time,
may learn the truth too late.

Light is held before the maw of the infinite void, and all that he is can be seized.

The one who Death has known
Old 12-17-2012, 07:05 AM
Hero of the Horn

yks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenzy View Post
Easy answer is it's a Gleemen's job to know the good stories. Good stories need epic heroes, legendary journeys, thrilling battles, tragic lovestories, etc. You know, the stuff that Heroes do.

Rand ruminating about their "other, older" names to either show that Rand's an odd duck and can see depth in the Pattern, he's tied deeply to the Pattern being the Dragon Reborn and all, or it's a literary device RJ used to demonstrate his cyclical reincarnation cosmology.

Although... Hero of the Horn is kind of a misnomer. The Horn calls the Heroes, but the Heroes are bound to the Wheel and await rebirth in Tel'aran'rhiod. The Horn is just a tool used to call the heroes to fight in the last battle. That too is a Gleeman's tale.
to take an analogy from our world, it's like the story of Troy: the way it was originally written by Homer was not meant as a myth, it was meant as an account of a real war. He saw himself as a kind of a journalist or historian, recording the story of a great war. However, he didn't have the facts, what he had were third-hand accounts by people who had not been there themselves, heavily garbled with superstition. He did get the basics right, that much is proven by archaeology - there was a large war. but Helen of Troy? or the wooden horse? Odysseus and Agamemnon and Paris?

Even though our world is now much more fact-driven, we still get "myths" (or conspiracy theories) about people such as JFK, Che Guevara, Gandhi, Mother Theresa, Amelia Earhart etc.

Robert Jordan was incredible at recognizing that very human need of heroization or vilification regardless of what the people were actually like and translating it into a Fantasy epic. He even references the real people back in Mat's flashbacks - you know, how Hawkwing really was as a person, rather than the image the Randlanders have of him nor the image the Seanchan have of him (wich, if you compare the two, seems like totally different people).

Bonded to JWB

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
-- Winston Churchill