art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7653

Logged In (1): kchlenkerreni,

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > WHEEL OF TIME FORUMS > General Wheel of Time Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 05-02-2012, 07:07 AM
Elder

Lupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud of
Wink Loony: Because Zombie told me to.

So. Here's something triggered by a statement my housemate/best mate said (completely unrelated to WoT). I'm building on it, and it DESPERATELY needs quotes and firm evidence.

How about this: What mainland Randlanders interpret as insect-like helmets on the Seanchan were actually bicycle helmets with zip-ties on them to scare away ravens. The Blood shave to show they are unafraid of ravens, a remnant tradition of pre-Luthair days.
When Hawkwing landed on Seandar, he found it occupied by cyclists of all kinds. There were limited carriages. Cyclists were impeded only by the multitude of ravens in the country and city. He and his attendants soon found that their carriages and horses did not fare well on the paths in Seandar, and therefore clashes arose between the cyclists (who must be Darkfriends, to be contrary to the will of the Empire!) and the newcomers. To assist in their battles, the natives' channellers brought in creatures from realms they had been studying (studies covering (ironically) ways to draw the cycles of the elderly). These beasts could not be run down by the carriages or trampled by the horses, could easily defend themselves against sabotaging intruders, and scared the horses upon which the invaders relied so much.
Ultimately, Luthair's forces were successful in turning this new weapon against the cyclists, having learned the creatures' motivators through captured marath'damane. All bicycles were melted down, their metals used for the construction of armory, and the crystal of their lamps reformed into the Crystal Throne as a symbol of the cycling nation's ultimate defeat.
The plague of ravens, however, continued, and soldiers soon adopted (contrary to the initial wishes of their commanders) the native helmets, as their own helms did little against the winged harriers. Eventually, the logic of this was accepted by the Blood and warleaders, and a ravenproof helmet was adopted as standard army attire.
The Blood were given the task of stamping out the ravens - each in their assigned region. One High Lord, when the population of ravens reached a population of about 1 mating pair per 3 marches, declared his success by removing all his protective hair, leaving only a single braid's crest down the centre of his skull. Very swiftly, the Imperial Family declared that status would now be defined by raven population, and ranks shown by the amount of protective hair each lord had.
To symbolise their Empire's defeat of the raven plague, the Family kept their heads cleanshaven, and kept their nails in a fashion resembling the claws of the raven, also taking this victory to be their standard and symbol.
The Tinkers also gained some mysterious visitors from a far away land. These visitors came speaking of a Song - the Song that would make the world whole again, the Song that would make the most rotund female fly. This blended perfectly with the existing mythology of the Tinkers.
The song they seek, of course, is a song once sung at all the great festivals of Seandar. "Bicycle Race" is the song required to set the world back on its green path once more. This is the other reason all Andor's bellfounders have been placed by the Pattern under Mat's command - they are needed to make the bicycle bells for the ultimate performance.

"Yeah, but obviously the Great Serpent doesn't have an actual corpse which would be of any help in strangling Rand al'Thor; for a start, if there was an actual serpent encircling the world, it would be monumentally huge, and trying to strangle someone with it would lead more to a sort of crushing." - Zombie Sammael

Selective Necrophiliac

Last edited by Lupusdeusest; 05-02-2012 at 07:08 AM. Reason: Epic typo spotted
Old 05-02-2012, 09:45 AM
Hero of the Horn

SauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to SauceyBlueConfetti

Not sure if you are trying to be funny or trying to be Felix-esque here?

Either way, you failed. hehehehe
Yeah. Murderous Saucey. My superhero name
I am Detroit. You REALLY wanna call me wimpy?
Haphazardly Spell & Fact Checked Since June 2001

Last edited by SauceyBlueConfetti; 05-02-2012 at 10:17 AM.
Old 05-02-2012, 10:57 AM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Not enough indenting and bullet points.

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Theoryland: Just Some Crazy In A Pot
Old 05-02-2012, 10:58 AM
Youngling

Heinz will become famous soon enoughHeinz will become famous soon enough

What do you have against cycling?! :-(
Old 05-02-2012, 06:19 PM
Elder

Lupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heinz View Post
What do you have against cycling?! :-(
I AM a cyclist My baby has three wheels though.
I'm trying to draw on the continued rivalry in our own Age.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SauceyBlueConfetti View Post
Not sure if you are trying to be funny or trying to be Felix-esque here?

Either way, you failed. hehehehe
Awwww

Perhaps I am going slightly nutty from a dearth of Felix, but of course noone can beat the original. This was more an exercise in "what if" - "how far can I push this crazy idea?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davian93 View Post
Not enough indenting and bullet points.
True, that. But give me a break. It was developed as a Facebook status. :P

"Yeah, but obviously the Great Serpent doesn't have an actual corpse which would be of any help in strangling Rand al'Thor; for a start, if there was an actual serpent encircling the world, it would be monumentally huge, and trying to strangle someone with it would lead more to a sort of crushing." - Zombie Sammael

Selective Necrophiliac
Old 05-02-2012, 09:11 PM
Elder

jana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond repute

I've never been impeded by a raven while cycling, but I was hissed at by a family of raccoons and followed by a butterfly for nearly a mile.
Old 05-03-2012, 05:02 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jana View Post
I've never been impeded by a raven while cycling, but I was hissed at by a family of raccoons and followed by a butterfly for nearly a mile.
I think that one was practicing for the destruction of Dragonmount:
Quote:
Originally Posted by WH, Chapter 13, Wonderful News
"Mesaana is absent again?" Moridin said instead of answering. "A pity. She should hear what I have to say." Plucking the rat from his shoulder by its tail, he watched the animal wave its legs futilely. Nothing except the rat seemed to exist for him. "Small, apparently unimportant matters can become very important," he murmured. "This rat. Whether Isam succeeds in finding and killing that other vermin, Fain. A word whispered in the wrong ear, or not spoken to the right. A butterfly stirs its wings on a branch, and on the other side of the world a mountain collapses." Suddenly the rat twisted, trying to sink its teeth into his wrist. Casually, he flung the creature away. In midair, there was a burst of flame, something hotter than flame, and the rat was gone. Moridin smiled.
Old 05-03-2012, 08:11 AM
Elder

We get magpies, swarms and swarms of magpies. During their breeding season, some idiot will always go out without adequate protection, and will get pecked/attacked/blinded/mutilated for their stupidity, then irate relatives will rise up and demand all magpies in their area be culled. It's almost as bad as those who build their house next to a crocodile breeding area, then demand that all the crocs be moved before they attack. Or how each summer holidays, some dickhead will teach their kid to feed the dingoes on one of the islands, then raise a cry for all the dingoes to be culled when their tyke gets mauled.
Ditto shark attacks on idiot surfers, idiot campers getting eaten by crocs despite warning signs etc.

Selective Necrophiliac
Old 05-07-2012, 02:35 AM
Elder

Ieyasu is a splendid one to beholdIeyasu is a splendid one to beholdIeyasu is a splendid one to beholdIeyasu is a splendid one to beholdIeyasu is a splendid one to beholdIeyasu is a splendid one to beholdIeyasu is a splendid one to beholdIeyasu is a splendid one to beholdIeyasu is a splendid one to beholdIeyasu is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupusdeusest View Post
We get magpies, swarms and swarms of magpies. During their breeding season, some idiot will always go out without adequate protection, and will get pecked/attacked/blinded/mutilated for their stupidity, then irate relatives will rise up and demand all magpies in their area be culled. It's almost as bad as those who build their house next to a crocodile breeding area, then demand that all the crocs be moved before they attack. Or how each summer holidays, some dickhead will teach their kid to feed the dingoes on one of the islands, then raise a cry for all the dingoes to be culled when their tyke gets mauled.
Ditto shark attacks on idiot surfers, idiot campers getting eaten by crocs despite warning signs etc.
This guy seems very upset...

I have nothing else to contribute to this thread.
Old 05-07-2012, 05:48 AM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Terez

Girl.
Old 05-07-2012, 07:28 AM
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ieyasu View Post
This guy seems very upset...

I have nothing else to contribute to this thread.
*weighs breasts* These don't come from tofu, mate.

It's the idiocy and arrogance of humankind that frustrates me so. You have to respect the land, nowhere more so than in Australia. That means working with it, not expecting it to suddenly up and change for you.

They're currently moving entire colonies of flying foxes because they might give some viruses to horse stables just built nearby. FFS! Move the horses. They've not developed feeding paths over thousands of years.

Selective Necrophiliac
Old 05-07-2012, 07:43 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupusdeusest View Post
You have to respect the land, nowhere more so than in Australia.
Iceland and Greenland probably top Australia in this regard.

Quote:

They're currently moving entire colonies of flying foxes because they might give some viruses to horse stables just built nearby. FFS! Move the horses. They've not developed feeding paths over thousands of years.
Why not leave both in place, and let nature take its course?

Seriously: it does seem strange that nowhere in the WOT series does anyone mention having trouble with invasive plant species. What's up with that?
Old 05-07-2012, 07:59 AM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonzoTheGreat View Post
Too cold for spiders and snakes.
Old 05-07-2012, 08:26 AM
Hero of the Horn

Weird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terez View Post
Too cold for spiders and snakes.
I don't like Spiders and Snakes

(Now if I could just figure out which questions they go to. )

I met you in a past life. You were wrong then, too.
Old 05-07-2012, 09:33 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weird Harold View Post
lol. Neither does Gonzo which was, of course, my point. Actually, he might not have a problem with snakes. I know he hates spiders, though.
Old 05-07-2012, 09:43 AM
Hero of the Horn

Ivhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Ivhon Send a message via Yahoo to Ivhon

This theory is brilliant save for one glaring oversight...

It is the entitlement of cyclists - not the One Power - which drives the wheel of time. Therefore, no mere human force can overcome an army of cyclists. They would simply sue, rewrite traffic codes in such a way that attacking forces could not reach them and then violate the same codes that they write.

Maybe the Creator could overcome an army of cyclists....but he won't intervene.

Proud owner of the first post on TL's VBulletin forum (sorry...I had ta )

Greeter Emeritus
Old 05-07-2012, 09:59 AM
Hero of the Horn

Ishara has disabled reputation
Send a message via MSN to Ishara

Quote:
Seriously: it does seem strange that nowhere in the WOT series does anyone mention having trouble with invasive plant species. What's up with that?
Especially with the influx of Seanchan flora and fauna recently...

Rand: You are an insensitive bastard!!!
Mat: And you ruined another hat!

It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by lightening. -- Calvin

"Gee, I wish I could do magic! Maybe I'll try!" --SDog

Official Vixen of Theoryland and Theoryland Siren

Grain Goddess, the Rood Inverse, the Mad Glomper
Old 05-07-2012, 10:07 AM
Hero of the Horn

WinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to WinespringBrother

Quote:

Why not leave both in place, and let nature take its course?

Technically not an invasive plant species but the invaders have propogated the use of forkroot to an annoying extreme

"Oh, y'all [Theorylanders] are awesome with awesome sauce, but you ask a lot of tricky questions. I had to watch myself with you guys." - Maria

"I need to RAFO more things, I'm not being very Robert Jordan..." - Brandon

Tags
queen, raven tattoos, seanchan, song, tinkers