art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7653

Logged In (1): eveningdesigner,

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > WHEEL OF TIME FORUMS > Theoryland Re-Read > Tamyrlin's Re-read
User Name
Password

Old 05-14-2012, 02:07 PM
Lord of the Board

Tamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Tamyrlin
Default TGH: Ch. 16 - Oneness, ZenRand, and the Kids

I recently read Lanfear's conversation with Rand about the "Oneness", and now I'm wondering if there is more to the Void than I've considered before:

Quote:
TITLE: Great Hunt
CHAPTER: 16 - In the Mirror of Darkness
"The Oneness," she said, sounding satisfied. She saw his questioning look and added, "That is what it is called . . . in some places. The Oneness. To learn the full use of it, it is best to wrap it around you continuously, to dwell in it at all times, or so I've heard."

CHAPTER: 16 - In the Mirror of Darkness
"Wear this void of yours all the time, Rand al'Thor, and you'll learn uses for it you never suspected."
The Void is one of those early concepts in the books that we eventually learn to ignore as the body of work opens up and we get so many plots, people and places as to make the Void somewhat boring. Then, Rand's experience of the Void shattering and infecting him, in essence, made me question the nature of the Void/Oneness, especially in light of Lanfear's comment about "uses for it you never suspected". Also, a few things happen in Towers of Midnight to bring it back to life for me, if only for the purpose of understanding some behaviors that are described.

ZenRand
Everyone has spoken about ZenRand or NeoRand, and his odd behavior/calm since his reintegration. And we do not get a Point of View until the Epilogue where Rand is now in extreme control of his dreams. It seems reasonable to theorize that at the very least part of this has to do with LTT's understanding of the Void and his capability in "wrapping" it around himself.

Quote:
TITLE: Towers of Midnight
CHAPTER: EPILOGUE - And After
Rand al'Thor, the Dragon Reborn, sat quietly in his dream. He breathed in the cool, chill air. White clouds floated gently around him, kissing his skin with their condensation. His throne for the night was a flat boulder on a mountain slope; he looked down through the clouds at a narrow valley. This wasn't the real location. It wasn't even the World of Dreams, that place where he'd fought Forsaken, the place he'd been told was so dangerous.
In fact, as with this quote, it would seem that this technique also transcends to a variety of benefits in T'A'R (I theorize that is what we are seeing.)

The Children

And then I had the thought that the Oneness must be what their children are experiencing in the future Aviendha sees. They are born in with the Oneness being to them as natural as breathing. What does that mean? Why would it happen? What are the benefits/uses that Lanfear speaks of?

Quote:
TITLE: Towers of Midnight
CHAPTER: 49 - Court of the Sun
Padra joined her spear-sisters. They left one of their number dead on the grass, and Padra mourned for her. Tarra, of the Taardad Aiel. She would be remembered. But honor was theirs, for they had slain eight Seanchan soldiers. She wove a gateway-for her, it happened as fast as she could think. She held the One Power perpetually, even while she slept. She'd never known what it was like not to have that comforting, surging Power in the back of her mind. Others said they feared being consumed by it, but how was that possible? Saidar was a piece of her, like her arm or her leg. How could one be consumed by one's own flesh, bone and blood?

Last edited by Tamyrlin; 05-14-2012 at 02:28 PM.
Old 05-14-2012, 02:55 PM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

I'm wondering: did Padra never venture into a Stedding?
If she had, then she would have known what it was like to be without the One Power. She probably wouldn't have enjoyed the experience, but it seems strange that she would have avoided this.

Of course, I don't think we see all that many Ogier in Aviendha's vision anyway, so there might be something else going on there too.
Old 05-14-2012, 03:27 PM
Elder

Zombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Zombie Sammael

Since the Ogier are considering opening the Book of Translation and leaving this reality at present, prior to the Last Battle, I'd say it's almost certain that they will leave immediately after the Last Battle, or whatever counts as immediately to an Ogier.

Master of the lightnings, rider on the storm,
wearer of a crown of swords, spinner out of fate.
Who thinks he turns the Wheel of Time,
may learn the truth too late.

Light is held before the maw of the infinite void, and all that he is can be seized.

The one who Death has known
Old 05-14-2012, 10:45 PM
Lord of the Board

Tamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Here is Selene advising Rand

Quote:
"Seek the Oneness if you are afraid," Selene said.
Rand complains that Fain can seem to find him, and that was Lanfear's response, which is interesting. She speaks of the Oneness a few times in the short period of time she is with Rand. In this instance she is telling him, although he is oblivious, that to hide from the Dark One's eyes, he must be wrapped in the Void.

Which made me consider another possible benefit that we see later on in Towers of Midnight: hidden dream bubble. I wonder if you go to sleep in the Oneness, learn to wrap yourself that way, if your Dream Bubble is hidden from the eye of a Dreamer/Dreamwalker among the GOI. We've seen warded dreams, but I get the feeling like this could hide it completely from those that know how to walk the GOI.

I wonder what other uses it has.
Old 05-15-2012, 04:14 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

I doubt that, considering the fact that with the training ter'angreal, it is necessary to channel in order to make them work, and the trainers don't seem to have any problem finding their trainees anyway.
Old 05-15-2012, 07:44 AM
Hero of the Horn

Ishara has disabled reputation
Send a message via MSN to Ishara

I always saw her constant attempts to get Rand to seek the Void as a means of getting him to actively channel, as he simply wasn't there yet.

Rand: You are an insensitive bastard!!!
Mat: And you ruined another hat!

It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by lightening. -- Calvin

"Gee, I wish I could do magic! Maybe I'll try!" --SDog

Official Vixen of Theoryland and Theoryland Siren

Grain Goddess, the Rood Inverse, the Mad Glomper
Old 05-15-2012, 09:52 AM
Lord of the Board

Default It's clear that she knows

She discusses the Oneness having unexpected uses. So, while I agree with the idea that she knew the Void would open him to the temptation to the use the One Power, the Oneness does have unexpected uses that are helpful including hiding himself from the eye of the Dark One, at least from how Fain explains the loss of the gift of the DO. For Lanfear to mention the Oneness again in a direct answer to Rand's concern about being located by Fain, I think it is more correctly applied to Lanfear's awareness of the Oneness in that regard.

She doesn't want him found nor killed by Fain and she shows an extreme distaste for Fain's brand of evil (SL), so encouraging him to use the Oneness like this had a dual purpose.
Old 05-15-2012, 09:56 AM
Lord of the Board

Default Mmmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonzoTheGreat View Post
I doubt that, considering the fact that with the training ter'angreal, it is necessary to channel in order to make them work, and the trainers don't seem to have any problem finding their trainees anyway.
There is a difference between sitting in the Oneness and then channeling. I'd guess that channeling would give you away in the GOI, not hide you. Also, I'm not saying anyone with training in the Oneness could hide themselves, but someone that understands it could.

Entering T'A'R would also give you away. Sitting in the Dream Bubble is something very separate.
Old 05-25-2012, 12:22 AM
Lord of the Board

Default Another Oneness suggestion from Lanfear

Quote:
CHAPTER: 27 - The Shadow in the Night
"You're letting yourself become flustered," Selene said. She seemed to have less trouble following Loial in the failing light than Rand did. "Seek the Oneness, and be calm. One who would be great must always be calm."
I'm tempted to look ahead for references to Oneness and Lanfear.