art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7653

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > WHEEL OF TIME FORUMS > Theoryland Re-Read
User Name
Password

Old 06-19-2012, 09:00 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terez View Post
Description fail:
Might be a technical term. Just as American military rations can be described as "iron rations", even when they only contain trace parts of iron, so perhaps the contents of stasis-boxes can be said to contain "the most appalling rubbish" even if there is only very little real rubbish in it.
Old 06-19-2012, 10:30 AM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Terez

I just realized that RJ is Valan Luca.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KOD 6, A Stave and a Razor
"I expect twice as many visitors today, maybe three times as many, and tomorrow as well. People can't see everything in one visit, and here they can afford to come twice. Word of mouth, Cauthon. Word of mouth. That brings as many as Aludra's nightflowers. I feel almost like a ta'veren, the way things are falling out. Large audiences and the prospect of more. A warrant of protection from the High Lady." Luca cut off abruptly, looking faintly embarrassed, as if he had just remembered that Mat’s name was on that warrant as being excluded from protection.

"You might not like it if you really were ta'veren," Mat muttered, which made the other man give him an odd look. He put a finger behind the black silk scarf that hid his hanging scar and tugged at it. For a moment, the thing had felt too tight. He had spent a night of bleak dreams about corpses floating downstream and woken to the dice spinning in his head, always a bad sign, and now they seemed to be bouncing off the inside of his skull harder than before. "I can pay you as much as you'll make for every show you give between here and Lugard, no matter how many people attend. That's on top of what I promised for carrying us to Lugard." If the show was not stopping all the time, they could cut the time to reach Lugard by three quarters at the least. More, if he could convince Luca to spend whole days on the road instead of half days, the way they did now.

Luca seemed taken with the idea, nodding thoughtfully, but then he shook his head with a sadness that was plainly feigned and spread his hands. "And what will that look like, a traveling show that never stops to give shows? It will look suspicious, that's what. I have the warrant, and the High Lady will speak up for me besides, but you certainly don't want to pull the Seanchan down on us. No, it's safer for you this way." The man was not thinking of Mat Cauthon's bloody safety, he was thinking that his bloody shows might earn him more than Mat paid. That, plus making himself as much the center of attention as any of the performers was nearly as important to him as gold. Some of the showfolk talked of what they would do when they retired. Not Luca. He intended to keep on until he fell over dead in the middle of a show. And he would arrange it so he had the largest audience possible when he did.
Now it all makes sense.
Old 06-19-2012, 10:42 AM
Youngling

Seth Baker is a glorious beacon of lightSeth Baker is a glorious beacon of lightSeth Baker is a glorious beacon of lightSeth Baker is a glorious beacon of lightSeth Baker is a glorious beacon of lightSeth Baker is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grig View Post
should know full well that they were not Saldaean peasants based that "King" flub (ignoring their accents, which are distinctive enough that Morsase recognized Rand's based on hearing it once in the past). Ah, farm folk, not realizing that accents are a thing and making themselves look silly in so doing.
Ah, so you Irish folk are trying to claim that you're Egyptians.

I see.
Old 06-19-2012, 02:38 PM
Youngling

Heinz will become famous soon enoughHeinz will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth Baker View Post
Ah, so you Irish folk are trying to claim that you're Egyptians.

I see.
RJ watched Highlander too much, obviously. (Scottish in that case)
Old 06-19-2012, 02:47 PM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute

I had gone back to wondering about Balwer again, but then I read this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by KOD 12, A Manufactory
"Ah, they steal a chicken now and then, General," Neald said with a laugh, giving one of his thin waxed mustaches a twist, "but I'd not be calling them great thieves." He had enjoyed the Seanchan astonishment at the gateway that had brought them all here, and he was still posing over it, somehow managing to strut while sitting his saddle. It was difficult to remember that had he not earned that black coat, he would still be working his father's farm and perhaps wondering about marriage to a neighbor girl in a year or two. "Great theft requires courage, and Tinkers have not a bit of it."

Huddled in his dark cloak, Balwer grimaced, or perhaps smiled. Sometimes it was hard to tell the difference with the desiccated little man unless Perrin could catch his scent....

...."Twice they offered me shelter when I needed it, me and my friends, and asked nothing in return," Perrin said quietly. "Yet what I remember best about them was when Trollocs surrounded Emond's Field. The Tuatha'an stood on the green with children strapped to their backs, the few of their own that survived and ours. They would not fight—it isn't their way—but if the Trollocs overran us, they were ready to try to carry the children to safety. Carrying our children would have hampered them, made escape even less likely than it already was, but they asked for the task." Neald gave an embarrassed cough and looked away. A flush tinged his cheek. For all he had seen and done, he was young yet, just seventeen. This time, there was no doubt about Balwer's thin smile.

Though I think Balwer's irritation was less over the insult to the Tinkers and more over Neald trying to act like an Aes Sedai (i.e. like he knows everything). I don't think Balwer cares about much aside from the truth, whatever it might be. I hold out a small hope that Galad will reclaim him and make him High Inquisitor. The job seems to have been vacated.
Old 06-19-2012, 03:09 PM
Elder

Zombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Zombie Sammael

Quote:
I just realized that RJ is Valan Luca.
Now it all makes sense.
But Luca is my least favourite character!

*BRAINSPLOSION*

Master of the lightnings, rider on the storm,
wearer of a crown of swords, spinner out of fate.
Who thinks he turns the Wheel of Time,
may learn the truth too late.

Light is held before the maw of the infinite void, and all that he is can be seized.

The one who Death has known
Old 06-19-2012, 03:11 PM
Hero of the Horn

Ishara has disabled reputation
Send a message via MSN to Ishara

Ha ha. The justice and irony of that would be awesome. But I sort of see Galad eliminating that position from existence in the Children of the Light, no?

Rand: You are an insensitive bastard!!!
Mat: And you ruined another hat!

It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by lightening. -- Calvin

"Gee, I wish I could do magic! Maybe I'll try!" --SDog

Official Vixen of Theoryland and Theoryland Siren

Grain Goddess, the Rood Inverse, the Mad Glomper
Old 06-19-2012, 03:17 PM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishara View Post
Ha ha. The justice and irony of that would be awesome. But I sort of see Galad eliminating that position from existence in the Children of the Light, no?
Perhaps. I was thinking of a modification. But then, I currently favor the theory that the Whitecloaks will end up being Egwene's personal army.
Old 06-19-2012, 03:24 PM
Youngling

Grig has a brilliant futureGrig has a brilliant futureGrig has a brilliant futureGrig has a brilliant futureGrig has a brilliant futureGrig has a brilliant futureGrig has a brilliant futureGrig has a brilliant futureGrig has a brilliant futureGrig has a brilliant futureGrig has a brilliant future

Quote:
I had gone back to wondering about Balwer again, but then I read this:
Quote:
They would not fight—it isn't their way—but if the Trollocs overran us, they were ready to try to carry the children to safety. Carrying our children would have hampered them, made escape even less likely than it already was, but they asked for the task."
So...what you're saying is that Tinkers are so set on their quest to steal Randland's children that they're even willing to die to do it? Interesting...
Old 06-19-2012, 05:43 PM
Elder

Zombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Zombie Sammael

Quote:
Perhaps. I was thinking of a modification. But then, I currently favor the theory that the Whitecloaks will end up being Egwene's personal army.
No way - the Whitecloaks are going to take up residence in Cairhien, which Galad will rule as Elayne's First Prince of the Sword/regent. I expect they will even go so far as to replace their current sunburst with the Cairhienin rising sun sigil, as a sign of the order moving out of the darkness of fanaticism and to a more enlightened world view under Galad, and also representing and acknowledging the dawn of the Fourth Age.

Master of the lightnings, rider on the storm,
wearer of a crown of swords, spinner out of fate.
Who thinks he turns the Wheel of Time,
may learn the truth too late.

Light is held before the maw of the infinite void, and all that he is can be seized.

The one who Death has known
Old 06-20-2012, 01:37 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Sammael View Post
No way - the Whitecloaks are going to take up residence in Cairhien, which Galad will rule as Elayne's First Prince of the Sword/regent.
Nope, Moiraine will rule Cairhien, or I will throw a fit.
Old 06-20-2012, 02:13 AM
Elder

Ieyasu is a splendid one to beholdIeyasu is a splendid one to beholdIeyasu is a splendid one to beholdIeyasu is a splendid one to beholdIeyasu is a splendid one to beholdIeyasu is a splendid one to beholdIeyasu is a splendid one to beholdIeyasu is a splendid one to beholdIeyasu is a splendid one to beholdIeyasu is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
...or I will throw a fit.
I think you will be throwing a couple fits anyway :P
Old 06-20-2012, 02:48 AM
Hero of the Horn

Why would you think that?
Old 06-20-2012, 02:58 AM
Elder

Ieyasu is a splendid one to beholdIeyasu is a splendid one to beholdIeyasu is a splendid one to beholdIeyasu is a splendid one to beholdIeyasu is a splendid one to beholdIeyasu is a splendid one to beholdIeyasu is a splendid one to beholdIeyasu is a splendid one to beholdIeyasu is a splendid one to beholdIeyasu is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Why would you think that?
Biggest reason:

No one is going to butt rape Demandred

Old 06-20-2012, 03:33 AM
Hero of the Horn

And? That's hardly something to throw a fit over.
Old 06-20-2012, 03:37 AM
Youngling

Random Man is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Nope, Moiraine will rule Cairhien, or I will throw a fit.
Just to interject a quick point, I think Moiraine will throw a fit if she does end up ruling Cairhien. But maybe she's changed enough for it to suit her. Myself, I doubt it.
Old 06-20-2012, 03:42 AM
Elder

Quote:
And? That's hardly something to throw a fit over.
I think Moiraine not taking the throne of Cairhien is hardly worthy of throwing a fit over either... but i dont think its going to happen at all... so inc terez fit lol

I will be interested how many (if any) of your theories prove true. I dont see this one (or many others) as having much chance.. hence why I think you will be throwing a couple fits anyway

EDIT:
but mainly its the butt rape thing hehe
Old 06-20-2012, 03:47 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ieyasu View Post
I think Moiraine not taking the throne of Cairhien is hardly worthy of throwing a fit over either... but i dont think its going to happen at all... so inc terez fit lol

I will be interested how many (if any) of your theories prove true. I dont see this one (or many others) as having much chance.. hence why I think you will be throwing a couple fits anyway
My theories have been wrong before and I don't throw fits over them, and I don't see why you would assume that I would. This one is different.
Old 06-20-2012, 03:47 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random Man View Post
Just to interject a quick point, I think Moiraine will throw a fit if she does end up ruling Cairhien. But maybe she's changed enough for it to suit her. Myself, I doubt it.
Why do you doubt it?
Old 06-20-2012, 03:58 AM
Elder

Quote:
Why do you doubt it?
I doubt it because of her feelings in New Spring. Perhaps she will "get over it" when she sees Elayne on a throne as a AS and no riots/wars starting over it, but that is only one reason I doubt it.

My main reason for doubting it is that Moiraine is with Thom now, and neither of them are homebodies. I see much traveling and work to do if either or both survive TG...and I am finally hoping for some good guy deaths in AMOL. I want carnage on the good guy side, and I wouldn't take it badly if Moiraine actually dies this time. Then again, I didnt have a problem with the damsel in distress nor did I think her captivity or rescue lessened her in any way (as many other people do) Point being, I hope she dies (along with plenty of other big name good guys) and barring that, I dont see her giving up her traveling ways, especially not with a gleeman warder/lover.

EDIT:
Besides I think Elayne is going to hold on to Cairhien anyway, making it a moot point for Moiraine even if she does survive... I am not sure I have read anything more than you wanting Moiraine to rule Cairhien, how exactly do you explain Elaye passing that throne over to her? she just says "OMG MOIRAINE YOU ARE BACK!!! IVE HEARD SO MUCH ABOUT YOU & YOU ARE AWESOMESAUCE PLEASE COME LEAD ONE OF MY COUNTRIES FOR ME!!!! IVE MISSED YOU SOOOO MUCH SINCE THOSE FEW DAYS WE HUNG OUT TOGETHER IN TEAR!!"

How exactly do you think Elayne will come to relinquish her Sunthrone for Moiraine anyway?

Last edited by Ieyasu; 06-20-2012 at 04:05 AM.