art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7611

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > Forum Archives > Archived - WoT Discussion Boards > A Memory of Light
User Name
Password

Old 09-19-2012, 06:36 PM
Elder

sleepinghour has a reputation beyond reputesleepinghour has a reputation beyond reputesleepinghour has a reputation beyond reputesleepinghour has a reputation beyond reputesleepinghour has a reputation beyond reputesleepinghour has a reputation beyond reputesleepinghour has a reputation beyond reputesleepinghour has a reputation beyond reputesleepinghour has a reputation beyond reputesleepinghour has a reputation beyond reputesleepinghour has a reputation beyond repute
Default AMoL collector's edition

Just noticed that Amazon has put up a listing for a leather bound edition of AMoL. It's described as a limited edition, so if you want a copy, it might be a good idea to pre-order it now.

Unfortunately it also comes with a hefty price tag—US Amazon hasn't set a price yet, but it's CDN $187 on Amazon.ca and £189 on Amazon.co.uk. But maybe someone here will be interested or at least join me in drooling over it from afar.
Old 09-19-2012, 06:54 PM
Elder

Ieyasu is a splendid one to beholdIeyasu is a splendid one to beholdIeyasu is a splendid one to beholdIeyasu is a splendid one to beholdIeyasu is a splendid one to beholdIeyasu is a splendid one to beholdIeyasu is a splendid one to beholdIeyasu is a splendid one to beholdIeyasu is a splendid one to beholdIeyasu is a splendid one to behold

I hope they make a collectors edition series. That is something I am more than interested in... but a single book? not so much...
Old 09-19-2012, 07:01 PM
Youngling

Vanadis is an unknown quantity at this point

Does anyone know what happened to the british special edition? Will they continue the series? I got the first one, and wouldn't mind having the whole series in that format.

I woulnd't mind the leatherbound book either, but for that price? I'm not earning enough for that kind of extravagance
Old 09-19-2012, 08:17 PM
Youngling

Tedman is a name known to allTedman is a name known to allTedman is a name known to allTedman is a name known to allTedman is a name known to allTedman is a name known to allTedman is a name known to allTedman is a name known to allTedman is a name known to all

This I'm sure will be the same it has always been, 200 leather bound copies of the books. For instance my Lord of Chaos is 167\200.

I own several myself, that I've found over the years because some dumbass sold his for next to nothing.

Theres a complete set out there being sold on ebay, or was, by some famous Sci-Fi author or programmer or something who died of amylodosis who had books 3-9 (I don't believe they made 1 and 2 in this fashion)

It looks like this :
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Robert-Jorda...item2eb35d3044

Long and short you won't get one except second hand.

Maybe someone like Jason Denzel or the like might or has in the past.
Old 09-19-2012, 09:18 PM
Youngling

dfchang813 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have all of them including New Spring and Legends.

Started with book 4.

Some have much less than 200. A few had 150. I think one or two had only 100.

I think the Memory of Light Limited Edition already sold out actually. I pre-ordered off Amazon months ago and now the order button is off.

This link from Encyclopaedia WoT gives great information.

http://www.encyclopaedia-wot.org/

Of note the first 3 books never had limited editions made for the public but apparently a few first printings were specially bound and given to Jordan. They are obviously very, very, very rare.

Last one I saw was the Eye of the World and it sold for over a grand . . .

Brandon Sanderson stated that Tom Doherty told him that he planned to release the first 3 leatherbound to complete the set and in the future release a new "special edition" set.

That was with the release of Towers of Midnight and I've heard nothing since though . . .
Old 09-19-2012, 09:20 PM
Elder

Ieyasu is a splendid one to beholdIeyasu is a splendid one to beholdIeyasu is a splendid one to beholdIeyasu is a splendid one to beholdIeyasu is a splendid one to beholdIeyasu is a splendid one to beholdIeyasu is a splendid one to beholdIeyasu is a splendid one to beholdIeyasu is a splendid one to beholdIeyasu is a splendid one to behold

The problem I have with the individuals is that they are not uniform. Some are black leather, some are brown, and that bothers the ocd in me...

I am pretty sure that they will release an entire collectors set now that the series is going to be completed. So I will pick it up when that happens so my books can all be uniform.
Old 09-19-2012, 09:30 PM
Youngling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ieyasu View Post
The problem I have with the individuals is that they are not uniform. Some are black leather, some are brown, and that bothers the ocd in me...

I am pretty sure that they will release an entire collectors set now that the series is going to be completed. So I will pick it up when that happens so my books can all be uniform.
Just to clarify all the officially released books are identical: Green leather in green slipcase.

Now the first 3 specially bound books are different. The Eye of the World one I saw on Ebay a few years ago was made to look like the regular releases but a Dragon Reborn one I saw on Abebooks before it sold was bound in blue leather.

I've never seen one in brown or black though.

To be fair, while these books are incredibly rare and "holy grails" for Jordan collectors they are not particularly flashy. Aside from the actual limitation itself, there's really nothing that special about them:

1. Signed by Robert Jordan (and later Brandon Sanderson) on the limitation page

2. Full cover artwork on the inside.

3. leather bound in leather slipcase

4. Nicer paper

That's it, no special artwork or anything like that.

I would dearly hope that if Tom Doherty ever decides to release a special edition re-issue of these books that he DOES IT RIGHT with all the bells and whistles befitting a series of this stature and importance . . . much like what Meisha and Subterranean Press is doing with George RR Martin's series (and those are worth a mint by the way, I should know I sold my sets a few months ago).

I'm talking gold foiled edges, sewn in bookmark, the best leather, the best paper, and each book illustrated specially by a famous artist.

Sadly the one thing these new books will never have is Robert Jordan's original signature.

Remember before he passed, he personally signed each copy of each of these limited edition books. Knife of Dreams obviously was the last one he did.
Old 09-19-2012, 09:50 PM
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfchang813 View Post
Just to clarify all the officially released books are identical: Green leather in green slipcase.
Negative, scroll up in this thread and click the ebay link earlier... black leather edition, signed and numbered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfchang813
Now the first 3 specially bound books are different. The Eye of the World one I saw on Ebay a few years ago was made to look like the regular releases but a Dragon Reborn one I saw on Abebooks before it sold was bound in blue leather.

I've never seen one in brown or black though.
I have seen Black, Blue, Green, and regular Tan. There is even one limited edition out there that has a gold inlayed snake on the cover... the problem I have is that none of the books are uniform.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfchang813
To be fair, while these books are incredibly rare and "holy grails" for Jordan collectors they are not particularly flashy. Aside from the actual limitation itself, there's really nothing that special about them:

1. Signed by Robert Jordan (and later Brandon Sanderson) on the limitation page

2. Full cover artwork on the inside.

3. leather bound in leather slipcase

4. Nicer paper

That's it, no special artwork or anything like that.

I would dearly hope that if Tom Doherty ever decides to release a special edition re-issue of these books that he DOES IT RIGHT with all the bells and whistles befitting a series of this stature and importance . . . much like what Meisha and Subterranean Press is doing with George RR Martin's series (and those are worth a mint by the way, I should know I sold my sets a few months ago).

I'm talking gold foiled edges, sewn in bookmark, the best leather, the best paper, and each book illustrated specially by a famous artist.

Sadly the one thing these new books will never have is Robert Jordan's original signature.

Remember before he passed, he personally signed each copy of each of these limited edition books. Knife of Dreams obviously was the last one he did.
I dont want a bunch of individual special editions for each book that do not sit well or match each other on the shelf, I want one special uniform series that is easy on the eye and uniform in appearance. I have signed books on my first edition prints, so I dont care so much for a signed series. and have no interest in a BS signed book...

Last edited by Ieyasu; 09-19-2012 at 09:56 PM.
Old 09-19-2012, 10:38 PM
Youngling

Apologies for my misunderstanding.

Actually if it is an officially limited edition they are all the same.

Different lighting and camera flash may make them look green or brown but they are all dark green leather.

The Ebay auction referenced is to Crossroads of Twilight and even though it may look black to you, it is dark green leather.

I don't know about the other version but suffice to say they are not officially licensed numbered limited editions with Jordan's signature on a limitation page. Doesn't mean they aren't nice or valuable but they don't belong to the limited edition "set."

As for the various authors, they can have the same size and style, just varying covers and interior art. Many limited edition versions follow this format. Subterranean is doing a very nice one for Steven Erickson's Malazan series for instance.

The George Martin limited edition book series was beset with problems due to Martin taking so long to write the next book and the original publisher (Meisha) going out of business. Hence the change in size and style. SP is re-releasing the first two books to make a more consistent set.
Old 09-19-2012, 11:08 PM
Youngling

Tedman is a name known to allTedman is a name known to allTedman is a name known to allTedman is a name known to allTedman is a name known to allTedman is a name known to allTedman is a name known to allTedman is a name known to allTedman is a name known to all

Mind if I ask how you got them all?

I've never seen TGS\ToM for sale anywhere.

As for the rest, it always disappointed me that they would do something like this after the fact. I hope only that they match the first 3 (2?) books to the rest of them.

Edit: and I ask also because does that mean you have the Legends Limited too? If so Pics please!!!!!!!

Last edited by Tedman; 09-19-2012 at 11:11 PM.
Old 09-20-2012, 01:33 AM
Youngling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedman View Post
Mind if I ask how you got them all?

I've never seen TGS\ToM for sale anywhere.

As for the rest, it always disappointed me that they would do something like this after the fact. I hope only that they match the first 3 (2?) books to the rest of them.

Edit: and I ask also because does that mean you have the Legends Limited too? If so Pics please!!!!!!!
Hi Tedman,

Well, it's a long story as you can imagine. It's not easy getting a collection like that together. I'm doubtful anyone outside the Jordan estate or the publisher has this set actually but here goes.

As unbelievable as it is, I actually started going after this collection VERY late around the time of the publishing of Knife of Dreams actually. Of course I'd known about these books and seen them go on Ebay once in awhile but I am a completist collector by nature and so at the time the thought of owning just one leatherbound with no chance of getting the rest wasn't particularly appealing to me.

Then as time passed, I changed my mind and decided to just get a limited edition copy of one of my favorite WoT books (either Shadow or Lord of Chaos) and started looking. Fortunately, I managed to find copy of the leatherbound edition of Shadow Rising on Ebay and this was a VERY rare chance.

I contacted the seller and actually spoke to her. I found out she was the step daughter of the original owner who had sadly passed away and was a huge bibliophile with connections to many insiderse in the publishing world. She had been tasked with dealing with is estate and had no idea the value of the books she needed to sell. Apparently the gentleman had two medium sized rooms stacked to the ceilings with these collectible, signed books.

In any case after some conversation I learned to my shock that she had leatherbounds of 6 of the Wheel of Time series! Including Shadow Rising and Fires of Heaven which are almost impossible to find. Further, the later books were LETTERED editions which are astronomically rare. I couldn't believe it and so I worked out a deal with her to buy all of them. She was motivated to do this as that made her job easier rather than having to move them one book at a time.

So in one fell swoop, I managed to actually buy half the collection and some of the most difficult to acquire to boot.

Then it was simply a matter of daily scouring Ebay to fill in the holes and this turned out to be reasonably straight forward. I only needed a few more here or there and they were the more easily attainable ones like Crossroads and the just released Knife of Dreams.

In short order I had every book except New Spring.

That one I found on Amazon and it was a lettered edition which again was a nice find. I contacted the seller who happened to be a retiring rare book seller and asked if there was anything else available.

To my utter shock (I will never forget that day), he emailed me and said he had a LETTERED leatherbound of LEGENDS . . . unbelievable.

For those of you who don't know, a leatherbound LEGENDS is considered one of the Holy Grails of epic fantasy book collecting with the signatures of 11 of the greatest fantasy writers of all time in one volume including Stephen King, GRRM, Jordan, Orson Scott Card, Anne McCaffrey, Terry Pratchett, and on . . .

After that, in the space of about a year I had completed the full set. Every book from Shadow Rising to Knife of Dreams and New Spring and Legends as well. A once in a lifetime convergence of good luck and opportunity mixed in with some perseverance.

As for the Brandon Sanderson trio, that was simple enough if you care about such things. It's boring but you follow Brandon's blog and twitter and when a release date is set, you check Amazon 2-3 times a week for the leather bound edition. There's no fanfare or announcement, Amazon just quietly puts it up for pre-sale.

I pre-ordered tGS, ToM, and aMoL through Amazon.

tGS lasted about 4 or 5 months if I recall but the last two books sold out quick . . . within a few weeks I think.

Editions are very very low. I think tGS was 150? and ToM also about 150.

So there you go. I'll take some pictures and post them in the next few days if you are curious.
Old 09-20-2012, 07:36 AM
Elder

Res_Ipsa has a brilliant futureRes_Ipsa has a brilliant futureRes_Ipsa has a brilliant futureRes_Ipsa has a brilliant futureRes_Ipsa has a brilliant futureRes_Ipsa has a brilliant futureRes_Ipsa has a brilliant futureRes_Ipsa has a brilliant futureRes_Ipsa has a brilliant futureRes_Ipsa has a brilliant futureRes_Ipsa has a brilliant future

I for one would like to see such pictures.

" 'Looks like the game can be won after all,' [Mat] said. 'Tell the foxes I'm mighty pleased with this key they gave me. Also, you can all go rot in a flaming pit of fire and ashes, you unwashed lumps on a pig's backside. Have a grand bloody day.' "

"Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day."
Old 09-20-2012, 02:25 PM
Youngling

I would LOVE to see a picture.

I pre ordered TGS of the recent books on amazon and they eventually sent me an email each time (I tried a bunch) saying were sorry we have no more and refunded my money even though I have alerts on EBay amazon and Abe books for all of these books ( meaning I assume I got it in on the first day)

I guess I am a fool for not trying to order AMoL and ToM again through amazon.

I think it's so awesome you completed the whole set, it's my objective too though as of now I need Legends ( I'm stunned you have this) TFoH, TSR and the new 3.

I'm sure I'll eventually complete it all, I started only casually around WH.

I found LoC in the used books section of a Barnes and Nobles in NJ for 50 dollars. My eyes almost fell out of my face, and the guy running the section complimented me on my find. I guess some worker miss priced it because obviously the price is far more. He then told me they had 6 of them total but had sold one a month for awhile. In all fairness the BN in Paramus is the only one with a section like this I've ever seem ( I've been in maybe 20 in my life) it has the equivalent of half a floor of a normal B&N in just used books.

Makes me stunned that:
1 some dingbat sold the books to them for nothing
2 the even bigger dingbat who found the first one they put out and then didnt inquire about the rest.
3 me as the worst since I've been shopping there since longer than I can remember and somehow missed all but this book.

Anyways no rush, the legends is the only one I've never seen though I do have 6 signatures in my first edition normal Legends!
Old 09-20-2012, 09:24 PM
Youngling

Test run:

And . . .

Old 09-20-2012, 09:27 PM
Youngling

The last two are still shrinkwrapped. All of them range from excellent to mint condition. Again, the materials are not great . . . leaves a lot to be desired in my opinion but this is all we've got.

I'm actually thinking about selling the whole lot in one go once I get A Memory of Light in leatherbound to finish the set.

I know what you really want is Legends opened and I'll do that later on when I take pictures of the signature and limitation page in preparation for sale . . .

Thanks!
Old 09-21-2012, 12:56 AM
Youngling

This was so awesome! Thank you so much for taking the time to post this.

Now I'm dying to know how many have it completed like you do. Cannot be more than a handful. Wasn't legends a larger run of 250? or was it 500? I know it was something different, or at least I thought.
Old 09-21-2012, 07:14 AM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

I'd be willing to go as high as $10, maybe $15 for the set. That's cash too, no paypal.

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Theoryland: Just Some Crazy In A Pot
Old 09-21-2012, 07:30 AM
Youngling

halo6819 is a name known to allhalo6819 is a name known to allhalo6819 is a name known to allhalo6819 is a name known to allhalo6819 is a name known to allhalo6819 is a name known to allhalo6819 is a name known to allhalo6819 is a name known to all

I love that book shelf, i need to get one for my collection.
Old 09-21-2012, 12:58 PM
Hero of the Horn

SauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to SauceyBlueConfetti

Jealous. Oh. My. Goodness.

Thanks for posting, both the story and the picture!!!
Yeah. Murderous Saucey. My superhero name
I am Detroit. You REALLY wanna call me wimpy?
Haphazardly Spell & Fact Checked Since June 2001
Old 01-19-2013, 02:42 AM
Youngling

Just a follow up now that finally the entire leatherbound set is done with the release of Legends.

I was thinking of selling the whole set and still considering but it is so so so hard to do it when it come to it. It took so much to get this together and the series itself of course means so much to me.

I feel like Bilbo trying to let go of the One Ring after his birthday party . . . LoL