art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7653

Logged In (1): eveningdesigner,

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > WHEEL OF TIME FORUMS > Theoryland Re-Read
User Name
Password

Old 11-09-2012, 07:17 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Gonzo's err

Obviously, "err" stands for Emergency ReRead, which I started because AMoL is coming, and which I'll finish (somewhere halfway in the series, probably) when AMoL is there.
For now, I'm working through NS. Some more or less random thoughts, inspired by this:

There are no AS merchants. Nor are there any AS artists. Nor any AS craftswomen. It seems that AS indoctrination is remarkably successful, as hardly any AS leave the constraints of the seven Ajahs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NS, Chapter 3, Practice
Siuan hastily moved three pieces of split wood to the fire-irons on the hearth - the woodbox was almost empty; serving men brought Aes Sedai their firewood, but Accepted had to carry theirs up themselves - then grunted when she discovered that her efforts at banking the coals of last night's fire had failed. No doubt in a hurry to reach the Amyrlin's chambers, she had not covered them with ashes well enough to stop them from burning out. A frown creased her forehead for a moment, and then Moiraine felt that small tingle again as the light of saidar briefly surrounded the other woman. Any woman who could channel could feel another wielding the Power if she was close enough, but the tingle was unusual. Women who spent a lot of time together in their training sometimes felt it, but the sensation was supposed to fade away over time. Hers and Siuan's never had. Sometimes Moiraine thought it was a sign of how close their friendship was. When the glow winked out, the short lengths of log were burning merrily.
What's up with that tingle?
It seems like something that is going to be important later on, but I can't remember any case where that actually happened.

Siuan later on became one of the youngest Amyrlins ever. That much is of course well known. But her closest associates were also extremely young. Leane was only a bit older; she'd been raised while Siuan and Moiraine were Accepted. Sheriam was also of that age group.
In contrast, Tamra had a very old Keeper of the Chronicles in Gitara, and her replacement, Aeldra, was rather old too; at least a couple of centuries.

The six pointed star used in the AS testing procedure reminds me of the *finn triangle with wavy line. I don't know whether it is coincidence or not, and I don't know whether we'll find out any more about it. But it is intriguing.

AS are supposed to show deference towards those of them who are stronger. I think that system is going to be badly broken, but I could be wrong. First of all, they're gonna have to face Rand Sedai, who is a lot stronger than any of them, and totally outside their hierarchies of Sitters and Amyrlin and such. Thus, technically, Egwene should defer to him. Which no AS is going to like. Second, there's Moiraine, who is now very weak but still a far more accomplished AS than any other apart from Nynaeve. Having her have to defer to some putz of an Elaida supporter is going to seem mighty strange to any AS who thinks about it (which, admittedly, may not be all of them).
Old 11-09-2012, 07:38 AM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Terez

1. Sarene is a poet. I'm sure there are others with artistic interests.

2. It's just to show how close they are.

4. I'm reminded of The DaVinci Code.

6. I thought it said "Gonzo's ear".
Old 11-09-2012, 01:11 PM
Hero of the Horn

WinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to WinespringBrother

Your thread has been chosen for relocation to the Re-read forum, which is a more appropriate location for it.

"Oh, y'all [Theorylanders] are awesome with awesome sauce, but you ask a lot of tricky questions. I had to watch myself with you guys." - Maria

"I need to RAFO more things, I'm not being very Robert Jordan..." - Brandon
Old 11-12-2012, 07:13 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

There has been occasional speculation that Nynaeve will bring the dead back to life. Most, for some reason, focus that speculation on Rand. However, there's another potential target:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NS, Chapter 16, The Deeps
Nothing remained to be defended now, only a nation to avenge, and he had been trained to that from his first step. With his mother's gift at his throat and his father's sword in his hand, with the ring branded on his heart, he had fought to avenge Malkier from his sixteenth nameday. But never had he led men into the Blight. Bukama had ridden with him, and others, but he would not lead men there. That war was his alone. The dead could not be returned to life, a land any more than a man. Only, now, Edeyn Arrel wanted to try.
Nynaeve may very well decide to try to bring Malkier back to life.
Old 11-15-2012, 05:42 AM
Hero of the Horn

Follow up on the previous post:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NS, Epilogue
"Burning my past," he said, rising. "Burning memories. A nation. The Golden Crane will fly no more." He started to kick dirt over the ashes, then hesitated and bent to scoop up damp soil and pour it out of his hands almost formally. "No one will sorrow for me when I die, because those who would are dead already. Besides, all men die."
Here, Lan is actually committing Malkier to the Last Embrace of the Mother.

This strengthens my belief that Nynaeve won't bring Rand back to life; instead she'll resurrect Malkier.

----
In chapters 24 and 25, Moiraine is told that the King of Malkier is visiting the Aesdaishar Palace. She does not believe that, because she knows that Malkier was destroyed 25 years earlier. I have a hard time accepting this, though. After all, it was very public knowledge that the last heir to the throne had been saved; even the bloody Aiel knew that, and they're generally not all that well versed in Wetland politics. Moiraine, being schooled at the Cairhiening court, should have been aware of this. Moiraine Sedai, having been given lessons on the demise of Malkier in the Tower, should have been informed that the Malkieri royal house still existed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NS, Chapter 25, An Answer
"Anyway," Siuan went on, beginning to make a bundle of clothes and stockings, "I led Cal to believe I'd been dismissed from your service for spilling wine on your dress, and he's offered me a bed with the Lady Ines's servants. He thinks he might be able to get me a place with his Lady." She snorted with amusement, then caught Moiraine's eyes and snorted again, more roughly. "It isn't his bloody bed, Moiraine. And if it was, well, he has a gentle manner and the prettiest brown eyes you've ever seen. One of these days, you're going to find yourself ready to do more than dream about some man, and I hope I'm there to see it!"
Not quite sister wives, but quite close, it seems. I wonder whether or not Thom would be happy with having an audience at such a time. Come to think of it, it probably wouldn't be a first for him, considering the sisters he was 'dating' when Mat found him. In Tar Valon, that was.
Old 11-15-2012, 08:48 AM
Hero of the Horn

WinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonzoTheGreat View Post
Follow up on the previous post:

Here, Lan is actually committing Malkier to the Last Embrace of the Mother.

This strengthens my belief that Nynaeve won't bring Rand back to life; instead she'll resurrect Malkier.

----
In chapters 24 and 25, Moiraine is told that the King of Malkier is visiting the Aesdaishar Palace. She does not believe that, because she knows that Malkier was destroyed 25 years earlier. I have a hard time accepting this, though. After all, it was very public knowledge that the last heir to the throne had been saved; even the bloody Aiel knew that, and they're generally not all that well versed in Wetland politics. Moiraine, being schooled at the Cairhiening court, should have been aware of this. Moiraine Sedai, having been given lessons on the demise of Malkier in the Tower, should have been informed that the Malkieri royal house still existed.

Not quite sister wives, but quite close, it seems. I wonder whether or not Thom would be happy with having an audience at such a time. Come to think of it, it probably wouldn't be a first for him, considering the sisters he was 'dating' when Mat found him. In Tar Valon, that was.
Thom realizes that Moiraine is nothing like those sisters lol and has moved on from that sowing oats phase apparently.

Also, Moiraine could have been saying the same thing about Siuan who is now engaged to Thom's stones buddy.

"Oh, y'all [Theorylanders] are awesome with awesome sauce, but you ask a lot of tricky questions. I had to watch myself with you guys." - Maria

Old 11-15-2012, 09:23 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinespringBrother View Post
Also, Moiraine could have been saying the same thing about Siuan who is now engaged to Thom's stones buddy.
Yeah, but Moiraine, with her rather prudish Cairhienin morals, probably wouldn't have expressed a wish to watch.
Old 11-15-2012, 10:28 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Yeah, but Moiraine, with her rather prudish Cairhienin morals, probably wouldn't have expressed a wish to watch.
True *

* Not applicable during the Feast of Lights.

ETA: It seems that Tairen women are also fairly prudish, even during the Feast.

Quote:
Lord of Chaos CHAPTER: 54 - The Sending
In the beginning the coarsely dressed, sometimes bare-chested oarsmen made rough jokes, not too unfriendly, about how any amount of gold was hardly worth what they were missing. They laughed as they strode back and forth along the deck, working the sweeps, and every one claimed he had been dancing with or kissing a noblewoman. One lanky fellow with a big chin even claimed he had a Tairen noblewoman on his knee before he came out to Manal's shout, but no one believed that. Perrin certainly did not; the Tairen men had taken one look at what was going on and dived headfirst into the celebrations; the Tairen women had taken one look and shut themselves up in their rooms with guards on the doors.

Last edited by WinespringBrother; 11-15-2012 at 10:34 AM.
Old 11-15-2012, 11:21 AM
Hero of the Horn

Well, that does seem to apply only to the Tairen noblewomen, which Siuan isn't.
Old 11-15-2012, 11:34 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Well, that does seem to apply only to the Tairen noblewomen, which Siuan isn't.
That's debatable. She isn't a noblewoman by birth perhaps, but a current Aes Sedai/former Amyrlin definitely is equivalent to a noble.

Old 11-15-2012, 12:26 PM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
That's debatable. She isn't a noblewoman by birth perhaps, but a current Aes Sedai/former Amyrlin definitely is equivalent to a noble.
In status, yes. In attitude towards kissing footmen and such? NS suggests that the answer there is "no, not really noble".
Old 11-15-2012, 12:50 PM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
In status, yes. In attitude towards kissing footmen and such? NS suggests that the answer there is "no, not really noble".
She wasn't Aes Sedai yet, either, I'm merely referring to their current stations since that is what would apply when discussing their current relationship statuses. Theoretically of course. It would be too funny if they ever ended up actually having such a conversation.

Old 11-15-2012, 07:03 PM
Elder

Ieyasu is a splendid one to beholdIeyasu is a splendid one to beholdIeyasu is a splendid one to beholdIeyasu is a splendid one to beholdIeyasu is a splendid one to beholdIeyasu is a splendid one to beholdIeyasu is a splendid one to beholdIeyasu is a splendid one to beholdIeyasu is a splendid one to beholdIeyasu is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
She wasn't Aes Sedai yet, either
In the scene that Gonzo posted she had already passed the test and was a full Aes Sedai...
Old 11-16-2012, 04:51 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
She wasn't Aes Sedai yet, either, I'm merely referring to their current stations since that is what would apply when discussing their current relationship statuses.
She was AS, and had temporarily run away from her post as assistant head of the Blue CIA. To have an affair with someone she wasn't married with, come to think of it. I wonder where RJ got his inspiration?

Anyways, onwards to the next book:

-In the Prologue to TEOTW, I noticed that Ishamael was wearing black, with just a bit of white and silver, but no red. This made me wonder when he switched to the Red&Black fashion, but not (yet) quite enough to start hunting it down.

-A bit further I noticed that Dragonmount formed amazingly quickly. Based on my own knowledge of fluid dynamics, I would have expected a huge load of very warm molten rock to have flown across the land as a lava flow, rather than building up as a volcano (which generally takes days, weeks or centuries). What cooled it off quickly enough to form solid walls?

-And I'll leave you with this from the epilogue to AMoL:
Quote:
Egwene grimaced. "Look at you, Elaida," she said scornfully. "Once you stood first among the Servants. Once you wore the Stole, and sat in the Amyrling Seat. Once you summoned the Sitters in the Hall. Now look at you! A pitiful, shattered wretch. But it is not enough. You spanked me in the Hall of Servants. You defeated me at the Mad Soup Party. But I am the greater, now. I will not let you die without knowing that. When you die, your last thought will be the full knowledge of your defeat, of how complete and utter it is. If I let you die at all."
Now I've started with the story proper, but I haven't found any new things to remark on. Apart perhaps from wondering why there's such a big road going south from Deven Ride. What is it that they're transporting there, and what is the destination? Could be a big Trolloc Breeding Ground, to which they're shipping sheep, but that is speculative for now.
Old 11-17-2012, 05:17 AM
Hero of the Horn

I've reread the bit in the beginning where almost all TR women were trying to play mathmaker for Tam, reasoning that he shouldn't remain a lone widower. That made me think: what about Tam in the Stone of Tear? Why wasn't he mobbed by hordes of noblewomen?
There undoubtedly were a lot who would be too shy to try for the DR himself. But marrying his father, who can't channel, would seem a fairly reasonable alternative. Being mother to the Lord Dragon's halfbrothers isn't all that bad, is it?

All right, it might be that it would seem not quite such a good idea once the Dragon is dead and the next War of a Hundred Years is raging, but that's the future, which most nobles don't think about at all.
Old 11-19-2012, 05:17 AM
Hero of the Horn

From the Dark Prophecy:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TGH,Chapter 7, Blood Calls Blood
Daughter of the Night, she walks again.
The ancient war, she yet fights.
Her new lover she seeks, who shall serve her and die,
yet serve still.
This translation was provided by Verin. Suppose that it's not entirely completely correct?
Then the "who shall serve ... and die, yet serve still" could very well apply to Lanfear herself.

Quote:
Who shall stand against her coming?
The Shining Walls shall kneel.
Minor punctuation change:
"Who shall stand against her coming? The Shining Walls shall. Kneel!"
And suddenly this points straight at Moiraine.
Intriguing, isn't it? Probably not correct, I admit, but a neat alternative nonetheless.

And then there's the meaning of "Lanfear" ("Daughter of the Night"). There have been a number of discussions on which part of the name was which, and as far as I remember, those discussions got nowhere as a result of lack of evidence. Now, thanks to the fact that I finally understood the importance of a bit of evidence which we've had for over a year now, I worked it out. Nynaeve is Lady Gaga Reborn. The rest is trivially easy; I hope I won't need to spell it out.

Last edited by GonzoTheGreat; 11-19-2012 at 05:20 AM.
Old 11-26-2012, 08:34 AM
Hero of the Horn

I noticed that Tam had glass windows in his farm. Which makes me wonder where the glass was produced, and how it was brought to such a remote location.

I'm wondering whether the ta'veren tracking that Ishamael and Lanfear do is a True Power trick. If so, that would explain why no one else does it or can do it.

Finally: Narg. We all know that Narg was exceptionally smart. But was his only role really to get killed by accident?
We also know that Myrddraal are the sons of Trollocs. So I propose the following theory: Shaidar Haran is the Son of Narg.
Old 11-29-2012, 08:52 AM
Hero of the Horn

The mystery deepens. By quite a large margin, I have to say:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ
Interview: Jan 6th, 2004
USA Today Interview (Verbatim)
NY, NY
Why was there a blue light flashing when Thom met the Fade in Whitebridge?
Robert Jordan
Because Thom's best knives are very special indeed.
Now, at first glance, that sort of makes sense. But then there's this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEOTW, Chapter 20, Dust in the Wind
Suddenly Thom's gelding galloped out of the night, hard behind the Trollocs. The Trollocs had only time enough to look back in surprise before the gleeman's hands whipped back and then forward. Moonlight flashed off steel. One Trolloc tumbled forward, rolling over and over before landing in a heap, while a second dropped to its knees with a scream, clawing at its back with both hands. The third snarled, baring a muzzleful of sharp teeth, but as its companions toppled it whirled away into the darkness. Thom's hand made the whip-like motion again, and the Trolloc shrieked, but the shrieks faded into the distance as it ran.
Rand and Mat pulled up and stared at the gleeman.
"My best knives," Thom muttered, but he made no effort to get down and retrieve them. "That one will bring others. I hope the river isn't too far. I hope ..."
Instead of saying what else he hoped, he shook his head and set off at a quick canter. Rand and Mat fell in behind him.
So Thom left his best knives stuck in a couple of Trollocs outside Shadar Logoth. Then, when he met a Lurk in Whitebridge, that Fade apparently gave him his knives back, and Thom then used those to fight off the Halfman.

Which, I must say, raises some questions on Myrddraal ethics. They don't seem to be as black and black as I'd thought so far.
Old 12-03-2012, 08:05 AM
Hero of the Horn

Watching a new (for me, at least) Mythbuster episode, I was struck by how that could apply to the WOT: "They do not just tell the myths, they make them." I just hope that Kari Byron isn't Egwene Reborn. Of course, she could be Kari al-Thor, who was actually a redhead too.
Old 12-08-2012, 09:45 AM
Hero of the Horn

Yet another Verin riddle, as if we didn't have enough of those, yet:
Verin is one of the many who get caught up in Rand's Portal Stone mishap. As a result, she's gone away for quite a while. Her Warder wasn't with them, though. So how did he react to that?

We know that he survived, he was with her later on in during the Two Rivers campaign.