art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7611

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > WHEEL OF TIME FORUMS > General Wheel of Time Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 01-01-2013, 03:51 AM
Youngling

kvothe is an unknown quantity at this point
Default WoT Books - quality?

Hello together,

First of all: Happy new year!

(Sorry for my 'bad' english, I'm trying to give my best)
Well then, I've got a question on the book-series.

I just started reading the first book some weeks ago, and it was quite a good read. At the end it was somewhat.. I don't know how to describe it. It didn't suite me very well.

Now I'm reading the second one, but I don't really get into it. The first book I would rate about 4/5 stars, the second one.. well, I wonder if it gets better (I'm about the first half of it) and even if the series gets better.

My contra-points are, that I don't really like the way the characters are build up. Everyone has very strange characteristics.. And some of them a very strange way of thinking. (For example Nynaeve, her relation to Lan, ...)

I even did not like the story itself very much, regarding the second book. Especially the Aes Sedai scenes during the first 100-200 pages..

Well, I really was looking forward to reading this series, as it should be a great story.

But after having read so much fantasy books.. even "great" ones, and "famous" ones. such as Martin, Sanderson, Hobb, ...

I was even looking forward to reading the last books of this series because of Sanderson B., one of my favourite authors.

So, is it worth reading on this series, will it get a bit better for my points?
Old 01-01-2013, 06:48 PM
Youngling

instantdeath999 is an unknown quantity at this point

I actually don't feel the first book is one of the stronger volumes of the series. It's certainly one of the most beloved, but I'm with you in that it didn't do much for me by itself. That said, once the series opened up a bit, I grew to love it. The Eye of the World, by itself, is way too reminiscent of Tolkien, but it quickly outgrows that; it uses that familiar backdrop to launch it's own very engaging story. Compared to many other fantasy authors, I also felt that Jordan's dialogue was very dry. That's another thing that steadily improves, as the characters see more of the world.

It does slow down later, true, and it does develop some structure problems, but I found I enjoyed every volume in the series to some degree (even Crossroads of Twilight had a few very well written scenes).

The Great Hunt is a bit slower to develop than the first one, but I feel it has a stronger climax than the first. Overall, it's my favorite of the first three. There are some weird elements- I completely agree that Nynaeve's relation to Lan is very sudden- but most of those elements improve.

My advice is to read the first three. They actually function fairly well as a standalone trilogy. If you're not interested in seeing where things go from there, it's safe to say you probably won't enjoy the rest. If you're not sure from there, go ahead and give the fourth a try, because like a said, it's in my personal opinion the best of the series. If you're still not on board by then, I'd drop it.

Last edited by instantdeath999; 01-01-2013 at 06:53 PM.
Old 01-01-2013, 09:01 PM
Hero of the Horn

Ishara has disabled reputation
Send a message via MSN to Ishara

Well, I don't think you'll find anyone who won't agree that it's dense. It is - very. But, Jordan's use of characters is what separates him from many other writers in the genre. His characters are not one dimensional, nor are his plots.

I would strongly agree with the recommendation to read the first three before making any decisions, and be forewarned that the middle of the series lags a bit when compared to other books in the series, but there is payoff, and it's great.

Hopefully you stick with it, and enjoy it as much as we all do!

Rand: You are an insensitive bastard!!!
Mat: And you ruined another hat!

It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by lightening. -- Calvin

"Gee, I wish I could do magic! Maybe I'll try!" --SDog

Official Vixen of Theoryland and Theoryland Siren

Grain Goddess, the Rood Inverse, the Mad Glomper
Old 01-02-2013, 02:26 PM
Hero of the Horn

Birgitte has a brilliant futureBirgitte has a brilliant futureBirgitte has a brilliant futureBirgitte has a brilliant futureBirgitte has a brilliant futureBirgitte has a brilliant futureBirgitte has a brilliant futureBirgitte has a brilliant futureBirgitte has a brilliant futureBirgitte has a brilliant futureBirgitte has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Birgitte Send a message via MSN to Birgitte

Well, it really depends on how patient you are. Judging by your screen name, you're a Patrick Rothfuss fan, so I'm going to go out on a limb and say you're pretty patient when it comes to a good story. There are some really slow parts to the series, but overall, it is definitely worth it. If you read the third or fourth and aren't impressed, then it probably isn't for you. To each his own, you know?

The internal logic of some characters will remain very questionable at best for most of the series, however. If it's a deal breaker for you, all I can promise is that it will get better by the time Sanderson starts wrapping the series up.

General of the Northern Border, Hero of Krieros Valley, the Coffinnail
Queen of the TCA

"Sometimes I sit around... watching chat... and thinking...sh*t... I created this madness." -- Lord of the Board
Old 01-02-2013, 04:10 PM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

I personally despise Wheel of Time...I dont get how anyone could like it. Especially when you compare it to the works of the great Terry Goodkind. Now there is an amazing author.

Seriously though, it picks up a bit as TGH keeps going. Stick with it.

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Theoryland: Just Some Crazy In A Pot
Old 01-03-2013, 08:02 AM
Elder

Casabamelon has a brilliant futureCasabamelon has a brilliant futureCasabamelon has a brilliant futureCasabamelon has a brilliant futureCasabamelon has a brilliant futureCasabamelon has a brilliant futureCasabamelon has a brilliant futureCasabamelon has a brilliant futureCasabamelon has a brilliant futureCasabamelon has a brilliant futureCasabamelon has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davian93 View Post
I personally despise Wheel of Time...I dont get how anyone could like it. Especially when you compare it to the works of the great Terry Goodkind. Now there is an amazing author.
Apples and oranges, man. WoT is a fantasy series, and Terry Goodkind does not write fantasy.
Old 01-03-2013, 08:12 AM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casabamelon View Post
Apples and oranges, man. WoT is a fantasy series, and Terry Goodkind does not write fantasy.
What Goodkind writes transcends the inferior genre that is fantasy...as he is wont to tell you if given the opportunity.

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Old 01-03-2013, 10:36 AM
Youngling

instantdeath999 is an unknown quantity at this point

You guys just aren't old enough to be reading Terry Goodkind

Old 01-03-2013, 11:20 AM
Hero of the Horn

Frenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Frenzy Send a message via Yahoo to Frenzy

Read until the 4th book. The Shadow Rising is very good, and many people's favorite in the series (myself included). The other series favorite is Lord of Chaos, the 6th book. It's definitely worth sticking with.

And welcome!

"How the hell do you Godwin a thread with CUCUMBERS!!?" -- Tru

"I love cucumber prawn... " -- Ivhon

"Have to catch me first. Scared shitless always outruns mad as hell." -- Sinistrum

"Some days I'm happy Frenzy doesn't live next door." -- Tamyrlin

"So Frenzy is a scientist then?" -- Davian
"Well duh. An Evil scientist. " -- Khoram
Old 01-03-2013, 05:18 PM
Youngling

Hugin "Poppa" Cauthon is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenzy View Post
The other series favorite is Lord of Chaos, the 6th book.
I just finished LoC 2 days ago on my 1st re-read of the series. And, yes, Frenzy, by the end of it I was seriously starting to think that it's my favorite book in the series.

Absolutely fantastic character growth and some of the more fun interactions between main characters, in my opinion.

And, kvothe, as someone who purposefully avoided the series for years, and found EotW really slow and boring at first, I highly recommend sticking it out. There are some slow moments later on but, at least for me, once it dawned on me that I loved reading about nearly every character (even the ones I despise or always expect to be boring when their POV starts), I knew it was worth it. And that realization came late, but when it did, I knew it had been the case the whole time, I just hadn't realized it yet - like a dead... well, I don't know how much you know so far, so I'll shut up there.

AND, all of the books are absolutely amazing on your 2nd read - there are so many subtleties in the earlier books that you could only catch after you've read the later books. So, you gotta at least stick with it through all of them twice. How about that?
Old 01-18-2013, 06:15 AM
Elder

Daekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvothe View Post

Now I'm reading the second one, but I don't really get into it. The first book I would rate about 4/5 stars, the second one.. well, I wonder if it gets better (I'm about the first half of it) and even if the series gets better.

I even did not like the story itself very much, regarding the second book. Especially the Aes Sedai scenes during the first 100-200 pages..

Em....The Great Hunt is quite possibly in the top ten of all fantasy novels ever written.

That statement i just made is not a joke. It is close to being a flawless book as any that have been written.

In the series only tFoH tops it for sheer quality so if you can't get into this my friend then i would say- Yes, stop reading.

He just got carried away a bit this time, probably as a result of his marriage-gonzothegreat

Son of Nazbaque, Lord of Fire
Old 01-18-2013, 07:19 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugin "Poppa" Cauthon View Post
I just finished LoC 2 days ago on my 1st re-read of the series. And, yes, Frenzy, by the end of it I was seriously starting to think that it's my favorite book in the series.

Absolutely fantastic character growth and some of the more fun interactions between main characters, in my opinion.

And, kvothe, as someone who purposefully avoided the series for years, and found EotW really slow and boring at first, I highly recommend sticking it out. There are some slow moments later on but, at least for me, once it dawned on me that I loved reading about nearly every character (even the ones I despise or always expect to be boring when their POV starts), I knew it was worth it. And that realization came late, but when it did, I knew it had been the case the whole time, I just hadn't realized it yet - like a dead... well, I don't know how much you know so far, so I'll shut up there.

AND, all of the books are absolutely amazing on your 2nd read - there are so many subtleties in the earlier books that you could only catch after you've read the later books. So, you gotta at least stick with it through all of them twice. How about that?
Its fun to reread in that there are always new little facets that you'll catch that you totally missed the first few times around...or few dozen times aroun.