art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7653

Logged In (1): icatozierfran,

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > Forum Archives > Archived - Non Wot Discussion Boards > Archived: Non WoT Related Discussion 03/08 - 09/08
User Name
Password

Old 09-08-2008, 01:17 PM
Hero of the Horn

Weird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant future
Default I Like Ike -- NOT

LInk to Wunderground's collection of tracking graphics

Ike is looking to cause trouble for our Texas members or cause more trouble for NOLA.

The individual computer models don't exactly agree on where Ike is headed but they've got Houston bracketed.

This one is a big animation showing how "accurate" the models are

This one is even bigger, not as useful, but impressive.

All y'all stay safe -- please.

(Now if I could just figure out which questions they go to. )

I met you in a past life. You were wrong then, too.
Old 09-08-2008, 01:26 PM
Hero of the Horn

Gilshalos Sedai has a reputation beyond reputeGilshalos Sedai has a reputation beyond reputeGilshalos Sedai has a reputation beyond reputeGilshalos Sedai has a reputation beyond reputeGilshalos Sedai has a reputation beyond reputeGilshalos Sedai has a reputation beyond reputeGilshalos Sedai has a reputation beyond reputeGilshalos Sedai has a reputation beyond reputeGilshalos Sedai has a reputation beyond reputeGilshalos Sedai has a reputation beyond reputeGilshalos Sedai has a reputation beyond repute

I've been watching this one and the NBC affiliate and ABC affiliate.

By: Steampunk Boba Fett
Old 09-08-2008, 01:40 PM
Hero of the Horn

Brita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond repute

My colleague's sister has been evacuated from Turks and Caicos- apparently the whole island was evacuated (those who could afford flights that is- a lot of people had no choice but to stay).

She runs a small scuba business just off the ocean, and is expecting the worst when she returns.

I don't have to agree with you to like you or respect you. ― Anthony Bourdain
Old 09-08-2008, 02:21 PM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Terez

Kick the baby!
Old 09-08-2008, 02:27 PM
Hero of the Horn

Sinistrum has a reputation beyond reputeSinistrum has a reputation beyond reputeSinistrum has a reputation beyond reputeSinistrum has a reputation beyond reputeSinistrum has a reputation beyond reputeSinistrum has a reputation beyond reputeSinistrum has a reputation beyond reputeSinistrum has a reputation beyond reputeSinistrum has a reputation beyond reputeSinistrum has a reputation beyond reputeSinistrum has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Sinistrum
Default The only thing I have to say about Ike is...

People don't like to be meddled with. We tell them what to do, what to think, don't run, don't walk. We're in their homes and in their heads and we haven't the right. We're meddlesome. - River Tam
Old 09-08-2008, 08:03 PM
Hero of the Horn

Bryan Blaire has disabled reputation

I like the tracks where it DOESN'T COME HERE!

Not terribly concerned about this one yet....

There's truth in your lies, doubt in your faith, what you've built you lay to waste...

Great Bumper-sticker: Stop Repeat Offenders - Quit Re-electing your Congressmen and Senators
Old 09-09-2008, 04:26 AM
Hero of the Horn

tworiverswoman has a brilliant futuretworiverswoman has a brilliant futuretworiverswoman has a brilliant futuretworiverswoman has a brilliant futuretworiverswoman has a brilliant futuretworiverswoman has a brilliant futuretworiverswoman has a brilliant futuretworiverswoman has a brilliant futuretworiverswoman has a brilliant futuretworiverswoman has a brilliant futuretworiverswoman has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to tworiverswoman

"once I'm naked, i can't get any cooler!" - Camel

Back in my day Pluto was a planet!
Old 09-10-2008, 10:22 AM
Hero of the Horn

Gilshalos Sedai has a reputation beyond reputeGilshalos Sedai has a reputation beyond reputeGilshalos Sedai has a reputation beyond reputeGilshalos Sedai has a reputation beyond reputeGilshalos Sedai has a reputation beyond reputeGilshalos Sedai has a reputation beyond reputeGilshalos Sedai has a reputation beyond reputeGilshalos Sedai has a reputation beyond reputeGilshalos Sedai has a reputation beyond reputeGilshalos Sedai has a reputation beyond reputeGilshalos Sedai has a reputation beyond repute

Well, it should hit Rockport, Texas which is further down the coast from us. However, we're supposed to be on the dirty side and if it hits at a 3, we're in for some nasty weather, but that's about it.

Old 09-11-2008, 09:07 AM
Hero of the Horn

Well, the mayor has requested a voluntary evacuation of downtown Houston tomorrow.

Old 09-11-2008, 09:09 AM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Is it just me or does everyone take hurricane's way more seriously ever since Katrina? I dont rememeber anything like this for hurricanes like Hugo or Andrew back in the 90's.

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Theoryland: Just Some Crazy In A Pot
Old 09-11-2008, 09:12 AM
Hero of the Horn

Can't tell you what Houston did in the 90's. I do know that when Allison dumped 3 foot of rain on us in three days the city kinda WISHED it had evacuated, they were rescuing people from rooftops via boat and helicopter, hell, a newscrew ended up helping one guy. Our lesson is from Allison, not Katrina.

http://www.click2houston.com/weather...43/detail.html

Last edited by Gilshalos Sedai; 09-11-2008 at 09:15 AM.
Old 09-11-2008, 11:14 AM
Hero of the Horn

Ivhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Ivhon Send a message via Yahoo to Ivhon

Not to sound callous or anything but the new tracking that takes Ike away from drought ridden central Texas is sad to me. We need the rain, and so far this summer it has only come with hurricanes.

This one was tracking straight for Austin up until yesterday or so. Now it seems we will only get the outside edge of the SW quadrant.

Proud owner of the first post on TL's VBulletin forum (sorry...I had ta )

Greeter Emeritus
Old 09-11-2008, 11:17 AM
Hero of the Horn

Yeah, but we need it, too. Our pine tree is dying of all things.

Old 09-11-2008, 12:58 PM
Hero of the Horn

Weird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davian93
Is it just me or does everyone take hurricane's way more seriously ever since Katrina? I dont rememeber anything like this for hurricanes like Hugo or Andrew back in the 90's.
There wasn't as much internet access to storm tracking in the 90's that there is now. What was available was all geek-speak meteorologist jargon.

There was this kind of information available for the 2005 Hurricane season and Katrina and lots of doom and gloom for earlier storms.

Katrina just happened to be the big strom that fulfilled all the Doom and Gloom sayers dire predictions so she gets credit for the increased willingness to evacuate.

(Now if I could just figure out which questions they go to. )

I met you in a past life. You were wrong then, too.
Old 09-11-2008, 04:09 PM
Ancient

Cary Sedai has a brilliant futureCary Sedai has a brilliant futureCary Sedai has a brilliant futureCary Sedai has a brilliant futureCary Sedai has a brilliant futureCary Sedai has a brilliant futureCary Sedai has a brilliant futureCary Sedai has a brilliant futureCary Sedai has a brilliant futureCary Sedai has a brilliant futureCary Sedai has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivhon
Not to sound callous or anything but the new tracking that takes Ike away from drought ridden central Texas is sad to me. We need the rain, and so far this summer it has only come with hurricanes.

This one was tracking straight for Austin up until yesterday or so. Now it seems we will only get the outside edge of the SW quadrant.
Seriously.

I want rain! Lots of rain! Oh and Ivhon, there will be rain, eventually. However it's usually after things have cooled down and we get a cold wet winter (ish) rain.
First-sister to Nazbaque, Great Lord of the Flame
Near-sister to Terez, Quotemistress
Lady of Chaos, official member of LoC, Big-sis to Rand & Myr...Woohoo!
Un-official adopted daughter of Pops'Taer, a.k.a. Cary'Taer
Cary Sedai, The first ever, Fairy of the TCA
Old 09-11-2008, 04:38 PM
Hero of the Horn

Ivhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Ivhon Send a message via Yahoo to Ivhon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cary Sedai
Seriously.

I want rain! Lots of rain! Oh and Ivhon, there will be rain, eventually. However it's usually after things have cooled down and we get a cold wet winter (ish) rain.

That does my lawn no good. Nor does it make me happy seeing grass growing in the middle of Lake Travis.

Proud owner of the first post on TL's VBulletin forum (sorry...I had ta )

Greeter Emeritus
Old 09-11-2008, 06:31 PM
Ancient

Cary Sedai has a brilliant futureCary Sedai has a brilliant futureCary Sedai has a brilliant futureCary Sedai has a brilliant futureCary Sedai has a brilliant futureCary Sedai has a brilliant futureCary Sedai has a brilliant futureCary Sedai has a brilliant futureCary Sedai has a brilliant futureCary Sedai has a brilliant futureCary Sedai has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivhon
That does my lawn no good. Nor does it make me happy seeing grass growing in the middle of Lake Travis.
I know! Beleive me, I know! My yard is so sad... You could landscape with rock and cactus...
First-sister to Nazbaque, Great Lord of the Flame
Near-sister to Terez, Quotemistress
Lady of Chaos, official member of LoC, Big-sis to Rand & Myr...Woohoo!
Un-official adopted daughter of Pops'Taer, a.k.a. Cary'Taer
Cary Sedai, The first ever, Fairy of the TCA
Old 09-11-2008, 07:38 PM
Mistress of Novices

Zaela Sedai has much to be proud ofZaela Sedai has much to be proud ofZaela Sedai has much to be proud ofZaela Sedai has much to be proud ofZaela Sedai has much to be proud ofZaela Sedai has much to be proud ofZaela Sedai has much to be proud ofZaela Sedai has much to be proud ofZaela Sedai has much to be proud ofZaela Sedai has much to be proud ofZaela Sedai has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Zaela Sedai Send a message via MSN to Zaela Sedai Send a message via Yahoo to Zaela Sedai Send a message via Skype™ to Zaela Sedai

So what's Gil. Bry B and Sini doing now that you ARE getting hit? Hurricane Party?? BE SAFE!!!!!!

The One, the Original, the ONLY Z
Beware of impostors

In Brandon We Trust
This TL Siren is bonded to Pops, XX, DaiShan and DeiwosTheSkyGod. Allied with Seeker and Guarded by Hopper
General of the Western Border, Valkyrie of the Autumn Storm, Destined Fury
Old 09-11-2008, 07:56 PM
Hero of the Horn

Sodas has a spectacular aura aboutSodas has a spectacular aura aboutSodas has a spectacular aura about

You guys be careful out there in Tehas. Sending you our thoughts and prayers.

Sodas and Camaria

Mazrim Taim drew the eye. He was tall, with a strongly hooked nose and an air of physical strength about him. An air of darkness, too. He sat there with his ankles crossed and one arm hanging over the heavy arm of the throne, yet he seemed ready to explode into violence. Interestingly, though his black coat was embroidered with blue-and-gold dragons that twined around the sleeves from elbows to cuffs, he did not wear the collar pins.
Old 09-11-2008, 08:06 PM
Hero of the Horn

Bryan Blaire has disabled reputation

LOL... Zae, like I said, it depends on what you mean by "hit". We are far enough inland that about all we will be dealing with is the wind. They are predicting that it may move out of here fast enough to not even give us all that much in the way of rain.

Luckily it appears that there is less than a 10% chance it will move up to a Cat 4, and from the way the barometric pressure internally in the storm is raising and the fact that there is a dry air mass at the front of the storm cutting off its infusion of humid air, it may not even get up to Cat 3, although they are predicting a weak/low Cat 3 about 4 hours before landfall, and likely slipping back to a Cat 2 storm. We are expecting winds around 75 mph, with gusts likely up to 90-100 mph. Luckily our windows are required to be rated at up to 110 mph usually, so hopefully unless something decides to come crash into our windows, we should survive.

The key will be how quickly we lose power and Internet/TV, and when they get it restored.

Edit: And the party will likely be all day tomorrow, until my grandmother shows up at my house for sheltering...

There's truth in your lies, doubt in your faith, what you've built you lay to waste...

Great Bumper-sticker: Stop Repeat Offenders - Quit Re-electing your Congressmen and Senators