art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7653

Logged In (2): lschullarma, tfyhughtiffany,

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > Forum Archives > Archived - WoT Discussion Boards > Book Tour: A Memory of Light
User Name
Password

Old 01-09-2013, 12:12 PM
Youngling

kcf is a jewel in the roughkcf is a jewel in the roughkcf is a jewel in the roughkcf is a jewel in the rough
Default AMOL Tour Signing reports

OK, people. The tour is on. I'm sure some of you have been there - what are the details from the Q&A? Your own questions to Brandon? etc.

I suppose that spoilers for AMOL should be in tags for this thread, but whatever the mods feel is best.
Old 01-09-2013, 12:17 PM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Terez

Yeah, I was just wondering where the reports have been. All we've gotten has been on Twitter, and really Twitter is a horrible way to do a signing report. We've already seen some garbled stuff from the midnight signing, and the guy who was live-tweeting Minneapolis didn't specify who was answering the questions. He tagged Brandon, but from the context it was clearly Harriet...
Old 01-09-2013, 12:39 PM
ReadandFindOut.com

Dom has a brilliant futureDom has a brilliant futureDom has a brilliant futureDom has a brilliant futureDom has a brilliant futureDom has a brilliant futureDom has a brilliant futureDom has a brilliant futureDom has a brilliant futureDom has a brilliant futureDom has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terez View Post
Yeah, I was just wondering where the reports have been. All we've gotten has been on Twitter, and really Twitter is a horrible way to do a signing report. We've already seen some garbled stuff from the midnight signing, and the guy who was live-tweeting Minneapolis didn't specify who was answering the questions. He tagged Brandon, but from the context it was clearly Harriet...
I didn't even find them on Twitter. Kept watch on #AMOL and #WOT but got nothing of worth so far.
Old 01-09-2013, 01:14 PM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute

Try @midnightrelease and @grantosan. Bossman said there was lots of video at the midnight release, but I was worried it wouldn't get posted for months. Fortunately I just got word from a friend that he has video. He's having issues with his computer, though...and he's not done reading. In any case, he'll probably get it up soon enough for me. Marie will probably record tonight's Q&A in Chicago (Skokie).
Old 01-09-2013, 01:16 PM
Youngling

kcf is a jewel in the roughkcf is a jewel in the roughkcf is a jewel in the roughkcf is a jewel in the rough

whatever happened to all the live streaming of Q&A. I remember setting that up for the TGS tour back when I was a Storm Leader.
Old 01-09-2013, 01:24 PM
Hero of the Horn

I saw a live stream post for the midnight release...after the fact. So apparently it was streamed, but not recorded from the stream.
Old 01-09-2013, 01:28 PM
ReadandFindOut.com

Dom has a brilliant futureDom has a brilliant futureDom has a brilliant futureDom has a brilliant futureDom has a brilliant futureDom has a brilliant futureDom has a brilliant futureDom has a brilliant futureDom has a brilliant futureDom has a brilliant futureDom has a brilliant future

Quote:
Try @midnightrelease and @grantosan. Bossman said there was lots of video at the midnight release, but I was worried it wouldn't get posted for months. Fortunately I just got word from a friend that he has video. He's having issues with his computer, though...and he's not done reading. In any case, he'll probably get it up soon enough for me. Marie will probably record tonight's Q&A in Chicago (Skokie).
It will be great. I'd hate that we lose any of that or get garbled reports.

For e.g.: apparently Brandon has confirmed all the epilogue, not just the last scene, came from RJ.

But how reliable is this?

Thankfully there's a second branch to the tour. The first days after release are always hectic... we didn't get that many good answers when Brandon/Harriet still consider most of them spoilers...
Old 01-09-2013, 01:29 PM
Hero of the Horn

Yeah, I'll be going to one on Feb. 24 in Birmingham. If I can get my mom to keep her mouth shut I might get to ask some questions, but more likely she'll want to tell Brandon and Harriet my life story or something, and I won't get anything.

Also, we know how reliable the 'whole epilogue' bit is, because we know from Brandon direct that he had to modify all that epilogue stuff RJ left, and we know from Peter that he added at least one scene (Cadsuane). I suspect he was talking about 'the last scene' from what my friend told me; the language was the same as he uses when talking about 'the last scene'.

Last edited by Terez; 01-09-2013 at 01:31 PM.
Old 01-09-2013, 02:35 PM
Hero of the Horn

Isabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via MSN to Isabel

Inbrandons blog he is referring to the entire epilogue as being rj's. ( with minor tweaks).
Unless minr tweak is adding the cadsuane scene.
'Rand al'Thor, Nynaeve shrieked, that is the most outrageous thing I ever heard out of your mouth. The very idea of telling three women you love them! You are worse than a lecher. You apologize right now!'

Isabel sedai of the Green Ajah, Amyrlin of the Official Nynaeve Fanclub, first sister to Gennie Sedai of the Green Ajah, bonded to Camel, Wolf Gaidin, Jachthond and ghostrider.
Old 01-09-2013, 02:53 PM
ReadandFindOut.com

And recently he spoke of "minor tweaks" for RJ's epilogue being essentially language tweaks (suggesting he worked from dictations).

Isabel is referring to this:

Quote:
nd yet, I'd read the ending. We managed to get it into the final book virtually unchanged, with only a few minor tweaks here and there. The sequence (it is more than one scene) that I am referring to most of the time when I talk about this encompasses the entire epilogue of A Memory of Light. Once you get there, you can know you're reading Robert Jordan's words, though of course there are other scenes scattered through the book that he worked on too.
Oh well... someone will manage to get the details on the changes out of him sooner or later (did he invent Cadsuane's scene, or decided it was the right place to put her resolution from the notes, that "obviously" RJ planned to place it somewhere before the epilogue and didn't specify where, but Brandon decided it fitted better in the epilogue).

It's part of the usual frustrations with tours/Q&A, it often takes several attempts to get something really reliable - that and the fact the same questions already answered are asked again and again. Well, that's expected, just frustrating for hcffs.

This time around we can come up with so many relevant questions and can hope to get good, less evasive answers to some, so it's a bit more frustrating than usual that it takes a few attempts, or that it's already answered reliably and we don't know yet.

Terez: make sure to bring something to silence your mom at the right moment, bounds of Air style.

Last edited by Dom; 01-09-2013 at 03:03 PM.
Old 01-09-2013, 04:17 PM
Hero of the Horn

I wouldn't read too much into the wording there. Brandon has shown himself willing to be extremely misleading, and that statement is still pretty ambiguous. I have no doubt that most of the epilogue was written by RJ, but clearly not all of it was.
Old 01-09-2013, 04:20 PM
Elder

sleepinghour has a reputation beyond reputesleepinghour has a reputation beyond reputesleepinghour has a reputation beyond reputesleepinghour has a reputation beyond reputesleepinghour has a reputation beyond reputesleepinghour has a reputation beyond reputesleepinghour has a reputation beyond reputesleepinghour has a reputation beyond reputesleepinghour has a reputation beyond reputesleepinghour has a reputation beyond reputesleepinghour has a reputation beyond repute

We also have Peter (who is probably reading this...hi, Peter!) saying that:

Quote:
What Brandon was given from RJ specifically on the last three books was 200 manuscript pages containing some finished scenes (including the final scene) and some summaries of other scenes, some lines of dialogue here and there, some "I might do this, or I might do this," etc. It's definitely not the last 120 pages of the book.
My guess is that RJ wrote the final Rand POV and parts/summaries of the other POVs in the epilogue.
Old 01-09-2013, 04:34 PM
ReadandFindOut.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepinghour View Post
We also have Peter (who is probably reading this...hi, Peter!) saying that:

My guess is that RJ wrote the final Rand POV and parts/summaries of the other POVs in the epilogue.
Yeah, it sounds likely some of those scenes could go in with only minor tweaks, and others were so succinct descriptions Brandon expanded them to get the final scenes.

E.g. Brandon might have had something like "and as Cadsuane notices Rand leaving, Sitters corner her and tells her they chose her as Amyrlin."
Old 01-09-2013, 11:34 PM
Hero of the Horn

Isabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to behold

I got a reply on FB. I am not able to copy on my ipad, so i post the link.
http://www.facebook.com/notes/brando...f_t=note_reply

The cads scene was brandon. It's not literary said that the fate came from the notes, but it was implied.
'Rand al'Thor, Nynaeve shrieked, that is the most outrageous thing I ever heard out of your mouth. The very idea of telling three women you love them! You are worse than a lecher. You apologize right now!'

Isabel sedai of the Green Ajah, Amyrlin of the Official Nynaeve Fanclub, first sister to Gennie Sedai of the Green Ajah, bonded to Camel, Wolf Gaidin, Jachthond and ghostrider.
Old 01-10-2013, 12:19 AM
Hero of the Horn

What was implied is that they're not going to tell you if it was in the notes or not.
Old 01-10-2013, 12:52 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Emma: Team Jordan said I could say that Brandon himself wrote the words of that little scene. Brandon is still being closedmouthed about what specifically came from the notes, but in general, Robert Jordan left quite a few notes on where people ended up at the end of the book.
After that I asked:

Quote:
Thank you, Peter Ahlstrom! I laughed learning about Cads fate. It was something RJ could have come up with.So good job Brandon putting in her implied fate Am i right to assume that her implied fate wouldnt have been put in,if the notes say something different?( assuming there were notes on it)
Quote:
Peter Ahlstrom The notes about fates at the end were not contradicted.

Old 01-10-2013, 12:59 AM
Youngling

fionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant future

Quote:
What was implied is that they're not going to tell you if it was in the notes or not.
There's this, for what its worth:

Quote:
Peter Ahlstrom: The notes about fates at the end were not contradicted.
Old 01-10-2013, 01:09 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isabel View Post
After that I asked:

All that means is that they weren't contradicted. And knowing Peter, you shouldn't read anything more into it than exactly that. As I said, it's not a given from the scene that Cadsuane will become Amyrlin, so if RJ's notes say that she went to retire to her rose gardens, then the scene wouldn't contradict that. If RJ didn't leave any particular notes on what Cadsuane does after the Last Battle at all, still no contradiction.
Old 01-10-2013, 02:16 AM
Hero of the Horn

Yes, if rj didnt leave any notes on who became amyrlin and if he didnt write down cads fate, than it wouldnt be a contradiction.
If she would go to her rose gardens, than yes it would be a contradiction.
Since amyrlin is her implied fate.

Old 01-10-2013, 02:26 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isabel View Post
Yes, if rj didnt leave any notes on who became amyrlin and if he didnt write down cads fate, than it wouldnt be a contradiction.
If she would go to her rose gardens, than yes it would be a contradiction.
Since amyrlin is her implied fate.
That's what you said. It's not what Peter said.

Quote:
The notes about fates at the end were not contradicted.
He didn't answer your question so much as he rephrased it into something he was willing to say.