art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7611

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > Forum Archives > Archived - WoT Discussion Boards > A Memory of Light
User Name
Password

Old 02-14-2013, 04:14 PM
Youngling

EvilChani is just really niceEvilChani is just really niceEvilChani is just really niceEvilChani is just really niceEvilChani is just really nice
Default Egwene Quarantine Thread for AMoL

[QUOTE=Dom;212430
We don't even know how much damage balefire really does either, and if it could really reach the point of unravelling the Pattern or not (it's all purely theorical - it damages reality but how much they don't really know). The real purpose of Egwene's sacrifice was to make her, specifically, die so she could intervene at the critical moment with Rand from "beyond". She was more sacrificial lamb than savior, even though she made her sacrifice motivated by salvation.

But it really was up to Rand.[/QUOTE]

You think she really spoke to him from the 'beyond'? I interpreted it that it was just him imagining what she would say after he watched her die. How would she even be able to speak to him after she's dead?

As for the balefire, I remember seeing a quote from Brandon stating that the damage Egwene's weave 'healed' would've been healed anyway once the DO was locked away (or rather, that the Pattern would've repaired itself once he was locked away).
Old 02-14-2013, 05:58 PM
Youngling

Demon is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilChani View Post
You think she really spoke to him from the 'beyond'? I interpreted it that it was just him imagining what she would say after he watched her die. How would she even be able to speak to him after she's dead?

As for the balefire, I remember seeing a quote from Brandon stating that the damage Egwene's weave 'healed' would've been healed anyway once the DO was locked away (or rather, that the Pattern would've repaired itself once he was locked away).
After reading this series, you shouldnt think that to be such a weird thing.
Old 02-14-2013, 06:31 PM
Youngling

EvilChani is just really niceEvilChani is just really niceEvilChani is just really niceEvilChani is just really niceEvilChani is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demon View Post
After reading this series, you shouldnt think that to be such a weird thing.
Well, his soul is not tied to hers as it was to Moridin/Ishamael, she isn't some reincarnation of him as he was of LTT, she isn't a Hero of the Horn who was sitting around in TAR ready to chat with him if he wanted, and she wasn't a ghost. Had it been Elayne, rather than Egwene, then I could buy that maybe the bond gave her the ability to project thoughts from the 'beyond' into his head, but they weren't bonded and barely tolerated each other for most of the series.

The whole "No! Not Egwene!" thing felt a little off to me, given their inability to get along, but I guess it made some sense since he showed he still cared for her by giving her a gift before he went to SG (and he was only doing that for people he truly cared for, even if she was a giant douchebag about it and clearly didn't return the affection). Still, having some lingering affection for someone doesn't explain hearing her voice in his head after her death...they simply didn't have that strong of a relationship, which is why I figured it was more of a Rand invention, him imagining what Egwene would say to him in that instance were she actually nice rather than flat out hateful toward him.
Old 02-14-2013, 07:15 PM
Youngling

fionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant future

Quote:
even if she was a giant douchebag about it and clearly didn't return the affection
Quote:
Light, but he’d been difficult to deal with lately— but she’d thought the same thing about her parents on occasion.
Quote:
“I support you. It doesn’t mean I’m going to do as you say with the seals, but I do support you.”
Quote:
Egwene released Rand. She would not be teary-eyed. Even if it did seem like a last parting for them.

Last edited by fionwe1987; 02-14-2013 at 07:22 PM.
Old 02-14-2013, 07:56 PM
Youngling

Quote:
Originally Posted by fionwe1987 View Post
Saying you support someone, then going out of your way to turn the entire world against said person and insisting that that person obeys what you think is right while dismissing anything that person has to say, is not support. POV trap...again. People can say a lot of crap, and even believe it's true, but actions speak a hell of a lot louder than words, fionwe...and the majority of her actions (and even thoughts) where Rand is concerned contradict her claim unless she was adding an unspoken "as long as you do what I want" to the end of "I support you".

I did forget about the teary-eyed part, so I guess it shows she can feel something other than superiority toward Rand. Had she not even been capable of that much, though - with her believing he was going to die so she could live for a thousand years as queen of the world as she indicated to Tuon - she would be an even worse excuse for a human being than I already consider her to be.

Edited to add:

It's even funnier that Egwene declares that she "supports" Rand but won't do anything he wants when she was convinced that her "friends" and "love of her life after Galad was out of reach", who supported her, were incapable of "supporting" her unless they obeyed her ever demand without question. Yet more hypocrisy from her...

Last edited by EvilChani; 02-14-2013 at 08:00 PM.
Old 02-14-2013, 08:33 PM
Youngling

fionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Saying you support someone, then going out of your way to turn the entire world against said person and insisting that that person obeys what you think is right while dismissing anything that person has to say, is not support.
Except it is, when that is the only way for you to save the world. Rand's plan as of Merrilor to immediately break the Seals and kill the Dark One was the wrong one. By putting up roadblocks against that plan, Egwene did support Rand, because it forced him to examine his ideas, and eventually led him to the right plan. The Dark One was released at the exact right moment, and Rand was ready to do what he had to do, reforge the DO's prison, instead of attempt a madcap plan to kill him. It is no different from when Nynaeve stopped Rand from killing all the Borderlanders, except it was larger in scale.

Quote:
POV trap...again. People can say a lot of crap, and even believe it's true, but actions speak a hell of a lot louder than words, fionwe...and the majority of her actions (and even thoughts) where Rand is concerned contradict her claim unless she was adding an unspoken "as long as you do what I want" to the end of "I support you".
You seem to be under some strange impression that supporting someone implies obeying them. Friends stop friends from doing idiotic things. They don't ignore their principles and beliefs and pander to the whims of their friends.
Quote:
It's even funnier that Egwene declares that she "supports" Rand but won't do anything he wants when she was convinced that her "friends" and "love of her life after Galad was out of reach", who supported her, were incapable of "supporting" her unless they obeyed her ever demand without question. Yet more hypocrisy from her...
Old 02-15-2013, 03:34 AM
Elder

Rand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Except it is, when that is the only way for you to save the world. Rand's plan as of Merrilor to immediately break the Seals and kill the Dark One was the wrong one. By putting up roadblocks against that plan, Egwene did support Rand, because it forced him to examine his ideas, and eventually led him to the right plan. The Dark One was released at the exact right moment, and Rand was ready to do what he had to do, reforge the DO's prison, instead of attempt a madcap plan to kill him. It is no different from when Nynaeve stopped Rand from killing all the Borderlanders, except it was larger in scale.
The only thing Eggy had was a couple of mentions in a little known part of the library that had some semblance of caution. Plus, Rand was going to go ahead and break the seals anyways, until Moiraine showed up. And Eggy wanted to remake the already weakening seals, to maybe put off Tarmon Gaidon for a few centuries. A plan that was also doomed to fail. Can't forget that.

Quote:
You seem to be under some strange impression that supporting someone implies obeying them. Friends stop friends from doing idiotic things. They don't ignore their principles and beliefs and pander to the whims of their friends.
Stopping them from doing stupid things, yes. But friends also tend to encourage it too.

Anyways, Eggy had a bad habit of blaming Rand for things that were not his fault. Or taking ripping into him for no real reason. Actually, she had a bad habit of that throughout the series. Pick out a book, find one of her POVs or someone else's POV that has her in it, point to a random part in it, and chances are she is berating someone or accusing someone, or just being plain foolish because she's Egwene.

How people can see her as an epitome of a strong woman when she's more of a bully like Elaida, is beyond me. That said, I did not want her to die, but did her death suit her? Well, she wanted adventure and power, and death usually comes to those people. Just that she had some of Elayne's stupid luck and was not blown to bits half a dozen times throughout the series. But instead, she burned her self out, turned into a crystal thing, and kicked the bucket.
Old 02-15-2013, 12:00 PM
Youngling

Hugin "Poppa" Cauthon is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Rand Needed Egwene

Of all the people in all the worlds, Egwene was the one who needed to die for Rand to realize what he needed to do. I agree that many things can happen in WoT, but I also agree that there are rules to all of these things. Regardless of whether Egwene (who did have a particularly special connection to TAR) spoke to Rand from beyond the grave, or whether it was just Rand's mind finally accepting the true nature of his relationship with Egwene - that was Rand's moment of final epiphany. That was when he realized that it wasn't about "Dragon vs. DO," it was about the people who would never give up the fight.

In a way, by countering Balefire (which destroys the Pattern), Egwene was building on the Pattern, and she built herself right into it. Rand, becoming the Pattern, could, conceivably, have special access to a dead Egwene in that way. But, it doesn't matter. What matters is that Rand was finally able to release her from his "protection" and accept that you cannot be responsible for the decisions/actions of others. That was a big theme throughout the series (e.g., Birgitte & Nynaeve vs. Moghedien, Rand's litany of dead women, the Aiel in general, everyone's constant inability to distinguish between "caring about my welfare" and "meddling in my affairs," etc.).

Egwene was the White Flame, Rand was the Dragon's Tooth. They had to be at odds throughout the series, despite ultimately following the same goal. With Egwene's death, they were able to join together like the ancient symbol of the Aes Sedai. It didn't matter how her message got to Rand, it just matters that he got the message - and it wouldn't have happened if she survived. (Note: see the "Brandon's references to RJ's books" thread for parallels.)

At first, I thought the fact that Egwene's horse was "Daishar" (Glory) and Rand's was "Tai'Daishar" (Lord of Glory) meant that the White Tower would bend knee to Rand. Now, I think it just means that they were inevitably tied together, and Rand would be the one who survived.

Anyway, I love Egwene. I think she went through exceptional growth throughout the series and her character was absolutely essential. Sure, she was often frustrating, but who wasn't? And, yeah, I fault her for the whole Gawyn thing, but it was important for the story, too.
Old 02-15-2013, 12:19 PM
Youngling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rand al'Fain View Post
The only thing Eggy had was a couple of mentions in a little known part of the library that had some semblance of caution.
And her dreams. And how is this different from Rand's sources? He was working on Min's understanding of philosophical concepts in Fel's books, as well as her interpretation of the Prophesies. I know of nothing which says Min is better at interpreting prophesies than Egwene and the Brown scholars who made this their life's work. Min focussed on one part of it, Egwene on another. Both their information was needed for Rand's plan to work as it ended up working. Lews Therin himself had nothing to offer, here, as Rand's PoV reveals. They had scarce sources of information, so the White Towers millenia of study on the Prophesies is hardly something to sneeze at.
Quote:
Plus, Rand was going to go ahead and break the seals anyways, until Moiraine showed up.
Egwene planned to stop him, though. If it came down to it, no doubt she'd have asked her armies to attack his. And she'd have been dead right. Because as we know, the moment the Seals were broken:
Quote:
The seals crumbled. The Dark One burst free.
Rand held the Dark One tightly.
But for Rand being in position to hold the DO, the world would have ended the day of Merrilor if Rand had his way. Min came up with the final piece about Callandor after Merrilor. Rand had no idea what to do, then. He wasn't even 100% certain the DO wouldn't be able to break free:
Quote:
“I don’t agree. Rand, you don’t know what releasing his seals will do—
you don t know if it might let him escape. You don’t know how close he was
to getting out when the Bore was last secured. Shattering those seals could
destroy the world itself! What if our only hope lies in the fact that he’s hindered this time, not completely free?”
“It won’t work, Egwene.”
“You don’t know that. How can you?”
He hesitated. “Many things in life are uncertain.”
“So you don’t know,” she said.
Quote:
And Eggy wanted to remake the already weakening seals, to maybe put off Tarmon Gaidon for a few centuries. A plan that was also doomed to fail. Can't forget that.
That would be relevant if someone were accusing Rand of being a bad friend to Egwene because he didn't follow her hairbrained scheme. They both had it wrong/partly right. But we're not seeing them both being blamed.

Quote:
Stopping them from doing stupid things, yes. But friends also tend to encourage it too.
They encourage stupid things? What friends are these?
Quote:
Anyways, Eggy had a bad habit of blaming Rand for things that were not his fault. Or taking ripping into him for no real reason. Actually, she had a bad habit of that throughout the series. Pick out a book, find one of her POVs or someone else's POV that has her in it, point to a random part in it, and chances are she is berating someone or accusing someone, or just being plain foolish because she's Egwene.
Why don't you do that? Because I'm not able to find these seemingly abundant instances. This sounds more like Nynaeve, actually.
Quote:
How people can see her as an epitome of a strong woman when she's more of a bully like Elaida, is beyond me.
Who does she bully? She stands up to people as strong or stronger than her. She doesn't go about using her strength to bully weaker people. She's the exact opposite of a bully.
Quote:
That said, I did not want her to die, but did her death suit her? Well, she wanted adventure and power, and death usually comes to those people. Just that she had some of Elayne's stupid luck and was not blown to bits half a dozen times throughout the series. But instead, she burned her self out, turned into a crystal thing, and kicked the bucket.
Egwene wanted knowledge. Not adventure. And she burned herself out because she wanted to prevent a Foresaken from baelfiring the world into destruction. It was a choice, and she made the right call.
Old 02-15-2013, 12:36 PM
Hero of the Horn

SauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to SauceyBlueConfetti

For the most part I agree with all of your statements above...but two quick things that I don't nod my head:

Quote:
They encourage stupid things? What friends are these?
supportive friends will raise their eyebrows at something and counsel you on their thoughts, but yes, they may just encourage you to do something THEY think is stupid because they understand your wants and needs to accomplish it.
I think Thom is the best example of this in the books, with his support of Elayne, Mat, Rand and Moiraine.

Quote:
Egwene wanted knowledge. Not adventure. And she burned herself out because she wanted to prevent a Foresaken from baelfiring the world into destruction. It was a choice, and she made the right call.
Disagree. I can't find the quote (I didn't try really hard) where she specifically says she wants adventure (it may be in the split versions of EotW) but she references it repeatedly in the books, most clearly here:

Quote:
TITLE: Great Hunt
CHAPTER: 39 - Flight From the White Tower
"I suppose it is," Egwene said slowly. She found it hard to think that there had been a time when She had been eager to have an adventure, to do something dangerous and exciting like the people in stories. Now She thought the exciting part was what you remembered when you looked back, and the stories left out a good deal of unpleasantness. She told Elayne as much.
Yeah. Murderous Saucey. My superhero name
I am Detroit. You REALLY wanna call me wimpy?
Haphazardly Spell & Fact Checked Since June 2001

Last edited by SauceyBlueConfetti; 02-15-2013 at 02:18 PM.
Old 02-15-2013, 01:16 PM
Elder

The Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond repute

I have noticed that men and women sometimes have different interpretations of the word 'support'. To me, support is something tangible, or at least definite (like advice). Egwene 'supports' Rand using the other definition (which I have never fully understood, but seems to be nothing more than a sympathetic ear at times. Or actively trying to stop you, but feeling a little bad about it).
Old 02-15-2013, 01:38 PM
ReadandFindOut.com

Dom has a brilliant futureDom has a brilliant futureDom has a brilliant futureDom has a brilliant futureDom has a brilliant futureDom has a brilliant futureDom has a brilliant futureDom has a brilliant futureDom has a brilliant futureDom has a brilliant futureDom has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugin "Poppa" Cauthon View Post
Regardless of whether Egwene (who did have a particularly special connection to TAR) spoke to Rand from beyond the grave, or whether it was just Rand's mind finally accepting the true nature of his relationship with Egwene - that was Rand's moment of final epiphany.
The scene really leaves little room for the conversation to have been imaginary. She reached out to him, and he heard her voice in his head. He even answered her aloud, not in his mind. There are limits to constructs scenarios. :P This happened for real, though the exact mechanism by which Egwene was able to reach out from beyond to Rand isn't terribly important.. the barriers were down where he stood, seemingly that included the one between Rand and the "afterlife" of normal people.

I agree with all the rest your points, though.

Quote:
Her voice in his head. Fond, but sharp.

"Egwene?"

Am I not allowed to be a hero, too?

"It's not that . . ."

You march to your death. Yet you forbid anyone else from doing so?

"I . . ."

Let go, Rand. Let us die for what we believe, and do not try to steal that from us.

You have embraced your death. Embrace mine.

Tears leaked from the corners of his eyes. "I'm sorry," he whispered.

Why?

"I've failed."

No. Not yet you haven't.
Old 02-15-2013, 01:39 PM
Hero of the Horn

Marie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond reputeMarie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond reputeMarie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond reputeMarie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond reputeMarie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond reputeMarie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond reputeMarie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond reputeMarie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond reputeMarie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond reputeMarie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond reputeMarie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Egwene Quarantine Thread for AMoL

Since some of the threads are starting to get diverted by Egwene discussion, it seems like it's about time the ONE THREAD for Egwene discussion post-AMoL was created.

Please see the forum rules. Any Egwene discussion that derails other threads is subject to being moved to this, the ONE THREAD to rule them all (and in the darkness bind them).
Old 02-15-2013, 01:56 PM
Youngling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugin "Poppa" Cauthon View Post
Of all the people in all the worlds, Egwene was the one who needed to die for Rand to realize what he needed to do. I agree that many things can happen in WoT, but I also agree that there are rules to all of these things. Regardless of whether Egwene (who did have a particularly special connection to TAR) spoke to Rand from beyond the grave, or whether it was just Rand's mind finally accepting the true nature of his relationship with Egwene - that was Rand's moment of final epiphany. That was when he realized that it wasn't about "Dragon vs. DO," it was about the people who would never give up the fight.

In a way, by countering Balefire (which destroys the Pattern), Egwene was building on the Pattern, and she built herself right into it. Rand, becoming the Pattern, could, conceivably, have special access to a dead Egwene in that way. But, it doesn't matter. What matters is that Rand was finally able to release her from his "protection" and accept that you cannot be responsible for the decisions/actions of others. That was a big theme throughout the series (e.g., Birgitte & Nynaeve vs. Moghedien, Rand's litany of dead women, the Aiel in general, everyone's constant inability to distinguish between "caring about my welfare" and "meddling in my affairs," etc.).

Egwene was the White Flame, Rand was the Dragon's Tooth. They had to be at odds throughout the series, despite ultimately following the same goal. With Egwene's death, they were able to join together like the ancient symbol of the Aes Sedai. It didn't matter how her message got to Rand, it just matters that he got the message - and it wouldn't have happened if she survived. (Note: see the "Brandon's references to RJ's books" thread for parallels.)

At first, I thought the fact that Egwene's horse was "Daishar" (Glory) and Rand's was "Tai'Daishar" (Lord of Glory) meant that the White Tower would bend knee to Rand. Now, I think it just means that they were inevitably tied together, and Rand would be the one who survived.

Anyway, I love Egwene. I think she went through exceptional growth throughout the series and her character was absolutely essential. Sure, she was often frustrating, but who wasn't? And, yeah, I fault her for the whole Gawyn thing, but it was important for the story, too.
Agree with all of that. I had a post explaining how important it was that Egwene's death was the one who got Rand to finally let go, and how strongly that mirrored/put to shame Lanfear's efforts in a similar direction. Its one of the greater successes of the finale, I felt. She even got a hint of it in TAR:

Quote:
A massive rose window dominated the far wall behind the Amyrlin Seat itself. The Flame at the center sparkled, as if there were sunlight beyond, though Egwene knew those boiling black clouds covered all the sky of
the World of Dreams.
She turned from the window, then froze.
There, set into the glass below the Flame of Tar Valon, was a large
segment in the shape of the Dragon's Fang. That wasn't part of the original window.
Egwene stepped forward, inspecting the glass.
There is a third constant besides the Creator and the Dark One, Verin's meticulous voice said, a memory from another time. There is a world that lies within each of these others, inside all of them at the same time. Or perhaps surrounding them. Writers in the Age of Legends called it Tel'aran'rhiod.
Did this window represent one of those, another world where Dragon and Amyrlin ruled Tar Valon side by side?
What it actually represented was what needed to happen in this world, of course. The rose window, made of glass, is a patch on a hole in the Tower's walls, and in it was represented the union of Dragon and Amyrlin. That's a symbol for what happened when Egwene patched a hole in the Pattern, and in so doing, was finally able to reach out to Rand and enable him to do what he had to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SauceyBlueConfetti View Post
For the most part I agree with all of your statements above...but two quick things that I don't nod my head:

supportive friends will raise their eyebrows at something and counsel you on their thoughts, but yes, they may just encourage you to do something THEY think is stupid because they understand your wants and needs to accomplish it.
I think Thom is the best example of this in the books, with his support of Elayne, Mat, Rand and Moiraine.
Fair enough, but this was hardly the time for that kind of friendship. Thom lets those people do somewhat stupid things because the fate of the world didn't rest at the end of this. Not that I think Egwene was capable of that for lesser disagreements. She usually prods at things till she gets her way. She hadn't matured enough by the end, I think, to have the patience to let people make mistakes and learn from it themselves.

Quote:
Disagree. I can't find the quote (I didn't try really hard) where she specifically says she wants adventure (it may be in the split versionso of EotW) but she references is repeatedly in the books, most clearly here:
Fair enough, but she doesn't burn for adventure as she does for knowledge. As early as tGH, she seems to have lost that thirst to be chased through half a continent by trollocs and myrdraal. Unsurprisingly.

ETA: Should I move this to the Egwene thread?
Old 02-15-2013, 02:05 PM
Elder

The Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond repute

Idle thought:
Egwene, quite possibly the youngest Aes Sedai in the story (or ever) is depicted as being a 'great' Amyrlin, allegedly exhibiting all of the best characteristics of the Third Age AS. While Cadsuane (the oldest AS, at least until the Kin are raised) exhibits the best characteristics of the more advanced AS (like Pevara, Nynaeve), and is chosen as the new Amyrlin.
Old 02-15-2013, 02:47 PM
Youngling

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Unreasoner View Post
Idle thought:
Egwene, quite possibly the youngest Aes Sedai in the story (or ever) is depicted as being a 'great' Amyrlin, allegedly exhibiting all of the best characteristics of the Third Age AS. While Cadsuane (the oldest AS, at least until the Kin are raised) exhibits the best characteristics of the more advanced AS (like Pevara, Nynaeve), and is chosen as the new Amyrlin.
Egwene exhibits the qualities of the Third Age AS? I think you're mixing things up. Its Cadsuane who's a throwback to the Aes Sedai at their pinnacle, kidnapping Kings and Queens, toppling them or propping them up, gentling men, having obscure knowledge, acting as advisor to the Dragon Reborn, adventuring all her life, fighting Dreadlords and Foresaken... notice how many of the Ajah's purposes her life seems to encompass? She's the Aes Sedai's Aes Sedai, typical but not. Egwene was anything but. She was unconventional to the extreme, swept aside their laws and customs as she needed. She will be remembered as a great Amyrlin, but that's because she accomplished so much that was uniquely possible at the end of an Age. The other great ones we heard of also had such unique chances and took them, like Rashima Kerenmosa and Deane Aryman.
Old 02-15-2013, 03:16 PM
Elder

Quote:
Egwene exhibits the qualities of the Third Age AS? I think you're mixing things up. Its Cadsuane who's a throwback to the Aes Sedai at their pinnacle, kidnapping Kings and Queens, toppling them or propping them up, gentling men, having obscure knowledge, acting as advisor to the Dragon Reborn, adventuring all her life, fighting Dreadlords and Foresaken... notice how many of the Ajah's purposes her life seems to encompass? She's the Aes Sedai's Aes Sedai, typical but not. Egwene was anything but. She was unconventional to the extreme, swept aside their laws and customs as she needed. She will be remembered as a great Amyrlin, but that's because she accomplished so much that was uniquely possible at the end of an Age. The other great ones we heard of also had such unique chances and took them, like Rashima Kerenmosa and Deane Aryman.
We'll agree to disagree. Egwene was a Third Age Aes Sedai. Pretending to have knowledge of all things, irrationally angry when she comes off as ignorant, exceptionally tranquil. She began as slightly unconventional, but quickly became 'Aes Sedai' with the help of Siuan's coaching and Moiraine's, along with her single track mind (she does everything 'with her whole heart'). Read the chapter on Nynaeve's testing again, and you will see the difference between the two styles. Nynaeve (who was mentored after a fashion by Cadsuane) is a Fourth Age Aes Sedai, ready to adapt to a changing world. Egwene (mentored by Siuan) more often than not fought to maintain the status quo. She had some unconventional habits, but (if we accept her character) she was uniquely qualified to lead a Third Age White Tower. Playing factions off of one another, Daes Dae'mar, 'advising' rulers etc. Cadsuane flaunted custom, rarely engages in petty politics, maximizes the utility of AS (such as the intelligent but weak Daghian), and is a person of action and initiative (like Nynaeve). Kidnapping rulers is a nice talking point, but that doesn't change underlying natures. Adventuring? The stories are about such things, because they are interesting. 90% of being Aes Sedai though is not adventuring, but being annoyed at one's own ignorance, maintaining composure, and strutting around. Not such good stories. Cadsuane was the exception, Egwene the norm. And advising the Dragon is not like advising a normal ruler. At all. Cadsuane herself talks about her aversion to advising when Rand asks her too. While Egwene leaps at the chance to advise world rulers.

I repeat: It is an interesting juxtaposition. The oldest Aes Sedai being the role model for the new, while the youngest was the role model for the old.
Old 02-15-2013, 03:23 PM
Youngling

JayDee is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dom View Post
This happened for real, though the exact mechanism by which Egwene was able to reach out from beyond to Rand isn't terribly important.
Rand was right up in there with the Dark One at that time, I figured he was interacting with Egwene through the same window by which Shai'tan could grab people's souls as they died as it were.
Old 02-15-2013, 03:45 PM
Youngling

suttree has a brilliant futuresuttree has a brilliant futuresuttree has a brilliant futuresuttree has a brilliant futuresuttree has a brilliant futuresuttree has a brilliant futuresuttree has a brilliant futuresuttree has a brilliant futuresuttree has a brilliant futuresuttree has a brilliant futuresuttree has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Unreasoner View Post
Adventuring? The stories are about such things, because they are interesting. 90% of being Aes Sedai though is not adventuring, but being annoyed at one's own ignorance, maintaining composure, and strutting around. Not such good stories. Cadsuane was the exception, Egwene the norm. .
Actually the norm is those average every day sisters out in the world working for the greater good. We know more than a 1/3 of the WT is out in the world and they constantly rotate. Cads was the exception, Egwene with her calling AS fools and vowing they must change was another. AS was the bivkering group involved only in WT politics that the story focused. The norm is sisters like Meidani, just quietly going about their business.

TGS
Quote:
Maps hung within delicate frames, centered on the walls like prized pieces of art. A pair of Aiel spears hung on either side of one map; another was a map of the Sea Folk islands. While many might have opted for the porcelain keepsakes that were so commonly associated with the Sea Folk, Meidani had a small collection of earrings and painted shells, carefully framed and displayed, along with a small plaque beneath listing dates of collection.

The sitting room was like a museum dedicated to one person's journeys. An Altaran marriage knife, set with four twinkling rubies, hung beside a small Cairhienin banner and a Shienar sword. Each had a small plaque explaining its significance. The marriage knife, for instance, had been presented to Meidani for her help in settling a dispute between two houses over the death of a particularly important landowner. His wife had given her the knife as a token of thanks.

Who would have thought that the cowering woman of the dinner a few weeks back would have such a proud collection? The rug itself was labeled, the gift of a trader who had purchased it on the closed docks of Shara, then bestowed it on Meidani in thanks for Healing his daughter.
"Waves are the ultimate illusion. They come out of nowhere, instantaneously materialize, and just as quickly they break and vanish. Chasing after such fleeting mirages is a complete wast of time. That is what I choose to do with my life." - Miki Dora
Old 02-15-2013, 04:04 PM
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by suttree View Post
Actually the norm is those average every day sisters out in the world working for the greater good. We know more than a 1/3 of the WT is out in the world and they constantly rotate.
More than a third? I assume you mean less than half.

It's not really clear what Aes Sedai typically do. Even many Greens don't have much battle experience, so they're not taking shifts guarding the Blightborder. The largest Ajah is the Red, and there have been a bare few channeling men in recent history, so no real information there. Many people have experienced Healing at one point in their lives, but the Yellows don't seem to go too far out of their way to make it totally accessible (like Flinn, sustained several serious injuries serving in the military for a AS-friendly nation, was only healed once). The Whites apparently give little thought to anything outside the Tower, and little in it. Even during the series, the height of Third Age tension, AS more often than not are squabbling in the Tower or sipping wine punch in a randomass palace. Very few Aes Sedai do 'stuff'. But Cadsuane does it all.