art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7611

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > General "Other" Books Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 02-24-2013, 11:29 PM
Hero of the Horn

Frenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Frenzy Send a message via Yahoo to Frenzy
Default NPR's Top 100 Sci-Fi & Fantasy Books

Fun link: Guide to top 100 sci-fi/fantasy books

More fun: What's missing?

....and go!

"How the hell do you Godwin a thread with CUCUMBERS!!?" -- Tru

"I love cucumber prawn... " -- Ivhon

"Have to catch me first. Scared shitless always outruns mad as hell." -- Sinistrum

"Some days I'm happy Frenzy doesn't live next door." -- Tamyrlin

"So Frenzy is a scientist then?" -- Davian
"Well duh. An Evil scientist. " -- Khoram
Old 02-24-2013, 11:41 PM
Hero of the Horn

Weird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenzy View Post
Fun link: Guide to top 100 sci-fi/fantasy books

....and go!
oops:

Quote:
The link you're trying to access can't be used to share files. Please ask the file owner to provide you with a shared link instead. Contact Box Support if you need help.
ETA: I think this is the same list? http://www.npr.org/2011/08/11/139085...-fantasy-books

(Now if I could just figure out which questions they go to. )

I met you in a past life. You were wrong then, too.

Last edited by Weird Harold; 02-25-2013 at 12:38 AM.
Old 02-25-2013, 12:45 AM
Hero of the Horn

Frenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond repute

Probably, but the link i found was laid out as a decision-making flow chart.

"Have to catch me first. Scared shitless always outruns mad as hell." -- Sinistrum

Old 02-25-2013, 02:32 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
What is missing is the actual information you're trying to convey.

WH already hinted at that, but he was way to subtle, so I win this contest.
Old 02-25-2013, 06:06 PM
Hero of the Horn

The link works for me, so i don't know what y'all's problem is

Old 02-25-2013, 06:42 PM
Youngling

Demon is an unknown quantity at this point

Im honestly surprised that harry potter isnt on this list. Unless i missed it.
Old 02-25-2013, 07:44 PM
Hero of the Horn

Weird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant future

Quote:
The link works for me, so i don't know what y'all's problem is
We just don't have your password.

Old 02-26-2013, 04:29 AM
Elder

Daekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond repute

I'm a big fan of LotR. I really am. Loved the books when I was younger and was happy enough with the films.

However, how it tops polls of the greatest Sci-Fi and fantasy novels is beyond me. Its good- but in no way is it anywhere near the level of aSoIaF or WoT. Yet it consistently tops these lists.

Ditto for Dune- Good but very overrated. THe problem is people vote for what they "know" and genuine classics get left behind.

He just got carried away a bit this time, probably as a result of his marriage-gonzothegreat

Son of Nazbaque, Lord of Fire
Old 02-26-2013, 05:05 AM
Hero of the Horn

yks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond repute

I LOVE the LotR books. The language, the plot, the characters, all of it. so, for me, it deserves the top spot.

I liked Dune and Ender's Game but as stand-alones, and while I diagree over the position of Dune in the list (should be in the 20s somewhere), as those 2 are taken as stand-alones, I think the aSoIaF books should be taken as stand-alones as well... Otherwise, you'd have to count the sequels of both Dune and Ender's game along as well and then they fall allllll the way to the bottom of the list.

Bonded to JWB

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
-- Winston Churchill
Old 02-26-2013, 05:36 AM
Elder

Figbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant future

LOTR appears at number one for the same reason that Star Wars or The Godfather tend to appear as number one film in similar lists. Because that's how these things are.

I think putting GRRM at number 5 with a series which is so far unfinished and no indication of when it might be, or even where the damn plot is going, is a little ambitious, but then that's what you get for making a TV series.

As a Brit I can tell this list has been produced by Americans

PTerry doesn't appear till number 57?!?!?!

That being said, I haven't read nearly as many of those books as I'd have liked to, and some I have read I've always intended to read again, so I for one have printed the printable version. My kindle wishlist is about to get a LOT longer
Old 02-26-2013, 06:04 AM
Hero of the Horn

yks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figbiscuit View Post
As a Brit I can tell this list has been produced by Americans

there's a lot of Asimov on the list, but no Strugatsky, for instance. So, yes. Also, a lot of the SF books there are... um... old. Why isn't Otherland on there? it's totally better than a lot of those '60s books. As much as I love her, Diana Gabaldon really shouldn't be on this list, the Fantasy aspect of her books is so negligible.

Bonded to JWB

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
-- Winston Churchill
Old 02-26-2013, 07:00 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Does the Sword of Truth series really count as Science Fiction?
We know (from the author, who should know) that it isn't Fantasy, don't we?

I do like the order of #79 and #80 in this list.
Old 02-26-2013, 10:06 AM
Elder

Daekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figbiscuit View Post
LOTR appears at number one for the same reason that Star Wars or The Godfather tend to appear as number one film in similar lists. Because that's how these things are.

I think putting GRRM at number 5 with a series which is so far unfinished and no indication of when it might be, or even where the damn plot is going, is a little ambitious, but then that's what you get for making a TV series.As a Brit I can tell this list has been produced by Americans

That being said, I haven't read nearly as many of those books as I'd have liked to, and some I have read I've always intended to read again, so I for one have printed the printable version. My kindle wishlist is about to get a LOT longer
It's even worse if you make a movie.

I love Robert A Heinlen. One of the most amazing writers I have ever had the pleasure to read.

Stranger in a strange Land is a great book. Close to his best so no problems with it's position in the list.

Starship Troopers- This is so inferior to many of hisd others. Expecially The moon is a Harsh mistress or The Cat who walks through walls.

And then proper classics like the forever war by joe Haldernon are below this not to mention "The Demolished Man" by Alfred Bester which is in with a shout as greatest novel ever written.

He just got carried away a bit this time, probably as a result of his marriage-gonzothegreat

Son of Nazbaque, Lord of Fire
Old 02-26-2013, 10:15 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by yks 6nnetu hing View Post
...Diana Gabaldon really shouldn't be on this list, the Fantasy aspect of her books is so negligible.
I disagree, the time travel element is central to the Outlander series. Every action of the main characters is colored by the conflict between 20th century and 18th century sensibilities.

I've read most of the nominees, and I think the list is "politically correct;" books/series like LotR are on there because they were the first or influential more than because they were actually "good."

I would have liked to see the Recluse series by L.E. Modessit, the Honor Harrington series by David Weber, 1632 (the Ring of fire Series) By Eric Flint (and others) and the Valdemar series by Mercedes Lackey on the list. I'm not sure which titles I'd drop to make room for them, though.

Old 02-27-2013, 09:16 AM
Hero of the Horn

SauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to SauceyBlueConfetti

I am actually shocked at how many I HAVE read. i figured there would be a high percentage, but man, I guess I am a sci-fi/fantasy nerd.

One thing that stands out is I apparently only give authors one shot. For example Gaiman. I hated American Gods, so I dismiss everything else. Not worth my time (limited) or money (also limited). Folks I respect can recommend them to high-heaven, I am not wasting my time on them.

Edited-to-Add: I actually voted in this survey! Heh.
Yeah. Murderous Saucey. My superhero name
I am Detroit. You REALLY wanna call me wimpy?
Haphazardly Spell & Fact Checked Since June 2001
Old 02-27-2013, 09:40 AM
Hero of the Horn

Mort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Mort

I was surprised that Rothfuss with his Kingkiller chronicles got to #18. Probably because he's hot right now. I like the books but they aren't that good IMO.

Small spoiler for King killer chronicles by Rothfuss:
Spoiler:
Very well written, but has anything really happened yet ?

Ender's game is a favorite of mine. Reading Snow crash #26 by Neal Stephenson now, on audiobook though. Have a hard time getting into it properly, maybe because of the format.

Then there are so many I havn't read yet.

"I discovered at an early age that if I talk long enough, I can make anything right or wrong. So either I am God, or truth is relative." - Jeff Winger, Community
----------

We rode on the winds of the rising storm, we ran to the sounds of thunder.
We danced among the lighting bolts, and tore the world asunder.

Last edited by Mort; 02-27-2013 at 09:46 AM.
Old 02-27-2013, 10:43 AM
Youngling

suttree has a brilliant futuresuttree has a brilliant futuresuttree has a brilliant futuresuttree has a brilliant futuresuttree has a brilliant futuresuttree has a brilliant futuresuttree has a brilliant futuresuttree has a brilliant futuresuttree has a brilliant futuresuttree has a brilliant futuresuttree has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mort View Post
I was surprised that Rothfuss with his Kingkiller chronicles got to #18. Probably because he's hot right now. I like the books but they aren't that good IMO.

Small spoiler for King killer chronicles by Rothfuss:
Spoiler:
Very well written, but has anything really happened yet ?

Ender's game is a favorite of mine. Reading Snow crash #26 by Neal Stephenson now, on audiobook though. Have a hard time getting into it properly, maybe because of the format.

Then there are so many I havn't read yet.
He is actually excellant with foreshadowing and hinting at a much larger conflict. Check out the reread on Tor that really delves deep into the mysteries of the story. I think it's brilliant going the whol unreliable narrator route and making the reader piece it all together.
"Waves are the ultimate illusion. They come out of nowhere, instantaneously materialize, and just as quickly they break and vanish. Chasing after such fleeting mirages is a complete wast of time. That is what I choose to do with my life." - Miki Dora
Old 03-04-2013, 05:32 AM
Hero of the Horn

DahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant future
Send a message via MSN to DahLliA

ASoIaF in the top 10 and MBotF at 81?

I disagree

As for LotR getting the top spot. It's good and it is where it all started, but it doesn't hold a candle to most epic fantasy IMO

"'Profound... huh.' Temper was silent for a long moment, studying the cobbles of the alley mouth. And then he lifted his helmed head, faced Shadowthrone, and said, 'Fuck off.'"
Old 03-04-2013, 08:39 AM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Okay, I have a bunch of comments that are in no particular order.

1. The Godfather and Godfather II are at the top of lists because they are two amazing movies that are tough to equal let alone be better than.

2. Lord of the Rings is good in that it kick-started modern fantasy...other than that, I never cared for them.

3. American Gods by Neil Gaiman did indeed suck as SBC noted...so very very disappointed by it.

4. Sword of Truth is pure garbage.

5. Ender's Game is the only good book OSC ever wrote. He's a hateful racist bigot and nobody should ever buy his books and give him money in the process. If you must read Ender's Game, go get a library card or borrow it from somebody. He's a loser who has been milking one good book for nearly 30 years now.

6. I liked the first Dune when I read it but did not find it world-changing.

7. Heinlein was awesome...also, don't underrate Starship Troopers becuase of a terrible movie that shared a name and nothing else. It was a great book...especially if you take many of the fascist overtones for satire. Not his best novel but still solid. Moon is a Harsh Mistress is his best IMHO.

8. I dont get how you can rate GRRM at all at this point as he's likely going to die before his series is even close to complete.

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Theoryland: Just Some Crazy In A Pot
Old 03-04-2013, 10:07 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davian93 View Post
5. Ender's Game is the only good book OSC ever wrote. He's a hateful racist bigot and nobody should ever buy his books and give him money in the process. If you must read Ender's Game, go get a library card or borrow it from somebody. He's a loser who has been milking one good book for nearly 30 years now.
To be fair to him, having had one good book does put him one ahead of L. Ron Hubbard. Though that one managed to cook up his religion rather than having to use one that had been invented by someone else.