art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7611

Logged In (1): ShadowbaneX,

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > General "Other" Books Discussion > Brandon Sanderson
User Name
Password

Old 10-07-2013, 02:16 AM
Hero of the Horn

yks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond repute
Default Steelheart

Just finished it. Overall I liked it, though one could definitely tell that the intended audience was young adults. There was perhaps too much action, the characters could have been fleshed out more.

Spoiler:
Megan's death didn't really register on an emotional level, but I guess that's because she got brought back. Still, that particular love angle -for me, at least- just didn't work.

I thought Megan was done well, she was tough without being a cliché about it, but the main character unfortunately was your very standard typical teenage boy. I've never been a teenage boy though, so maybe I'm wrong about this.

It was a good quick and entertaining read, with a much more urban feel than, say Way of Kings or Emperor's Heart. There was lots of action and fights; I still think that one-on-one fight scenes with "special effects" is what BS does best. There were several interesting plot twists, some I could see coming from miles away and some that were more unexpected. I understand it's the first of a series, and as such it's a good set-up for the next novels.

Bonded to JWB

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
-- Winston Churchill
Old 10-07-2013, 05:42 AM
Ancient

Oatman is just really niceOatman is just really niceOatman is just really niceOatman is just really niceOatman is just really niceOatman is just really nice

I enjoyed reading it, but not as much as his other books. As mentioned, it is pretty obvious he has aimed the books at a young adult market.

The premise sought of feels like X-men, with psychopaths. There might be more explanation in his future books, but one of the things I like about BS is his structured magic systems, which was lacking.

I'll likely read the rest of the series, but I'll be anticipating the next books in the Stormlight and Mistborn series more.

"From the Oatman Prophecies."

Writer of the Breakfast Prophecies for the Lord of the Morning

RS is an idiot.
Old 10-08-2013, 12:03 PM
Hero of the Horn

Brita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond repute

I have a very strong suspicion these "powers" have an explanation. Calamity in the sky and the constant repition of "they don't seem to follow any scientific or natural laws" indicates he has an underlying structure that hasn't been revealed. Besides, it is one of his biggest strengths.

I enjoyed the novel, but one small section almost ruined it for me. Consistency in character and story is really important to me- I like to lose myself in a book, but when a glaring inconsistency reminds me it is not real I get ticked. So on that note: his father's death was a big secret, he had told no one until he confided in the Reckoners. But later he mentioned that all through his childhood he was lectured by those around him about how his need for vengeance would destroy him. He made such an effort to hide his father's death and his reason for interest in the Epics, that for anyone to notice a vengeance vendetta doesn't match up.

But I got over it, and enjoyed the book to a certain degree. Not one of my favourites though.

“I don't have to agree with you to like you or respect you.” ― Anthony Bourdain
Old 12-04-2013, 07:57 AM
Hero of the Horn

WinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to WinespringBrother

There is a short story for sale on Amazon (for the Kindle) as of yesterday, that continues where Steelheart left off, called "Mitosis".

"Oh, y'all [Theorylanders] are awesome with awesome sauce, but you ask a lot of tricky questions. I had to watch myself with you guys." - Maria

"I need to RAFO more things, I'm not being very Robert Jordan..." - Brandon
Old 12-04-2013, 12:25 PM
Hero of the Horn

SauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to SauceyBlueConfetti

My husband bought me Steelheart for Christmas. At least I think he did. We were in a retail place (rhymes with ballcart) each doing our own shopping, him in groceries, me in toys with Mr. Young Man, and ready to meet in the middle. I got a text asking if I had that book. Then.....nothing. He had already paid separately when I got to the checkout lines, which is odd.

I have at least 5 books on my "to do" Kindle list, so I need to get cracka-lackin. I was whizzing through my AMoL re-read then stalled out.
Yeah. Murderous Saucey. My superhero name
I am Detroit. You REALLY wanna call me wimpy?
Haphazardly Spell & Fact Checked Since June 2001
Old 12-08-2013, 08:11 AM
Elder

Zombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Zombie Sammael

I liked how all of the "bad metaphors" were actually similes.

Master of the lightnings, rider on the storm,
wearer of a crown of swords, spinner out of fate.
Who thinks he turns the Wheel of Time,
may learn the truth too late.

Light is held before the maw of the infinite void, and all that he is can be seized.

The one who Death has known
Old 12-11-2013, 08:03 AM
Youngling

Tomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by SauceyBlueConfetti View Post
(rhymes with ballcart)
Hmmm..

Small fart???
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read. (Marx)
Old 12-13-2013, 12:53 AM
Hero of the Horn

Frenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Frenzy Send a message via Yahoo to Frenzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Sammael View Post
I liked how all of the "bad metaphors" were actually similes.
Yah, almost as if the author teaches creative writing or something

My Kindle says i'm 72% thru Steelheart. Hopefully i'll finish it this weekend.

"How the hell do you Godwin a thread with CUCUMBERS!!?" -- Tru

"I love cucumber prawn... " -- Ivhon

"Have to catch me first. Scared shitless always outruns mad as hell." -- Sinistrum

"Some days I'm happy Frenzy doesn't live next door." -- Tamyrlin

"So Frenzy is a scientist then?" -- Davian
"Well duh. An Evil scientist. " -- Khoram
Old 01-31-2014, 03:30 AM
Hero of the Horn

Matoyak is a glorious beacon of lightMatoyak is a glorious beacon of lightMatoyak is a glorious beacon of lightMatoyak is a glorious beacon of lightMatoyak is a glorious beacon of lightMatoyak is a glorious beacon of lightMatoyak is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oatman View Post
The premise sought of feels like X-men, with psychopaths. There might be more explanation in his future books, but one of the things I like about BS is his structured magic systems, which was lacking.
Heh, yeah, the psychopathic x-men thing is just about dead-on. Sanderson came up with the idea while driving after he got cut off by another driver. He had an immediate thought of "It's a good thing I don't have superpowers, otherwise you would be in trouble." He was then immediately horrified by this, and thus came the idea for what became this series.

And yeah, I'm sure we'll learn more about the actual rules behind what creates a Super, what's up with Calamity, how their powers work, etc as time goes on.

Also, Yks? I think he wrote a pretty damn spot-on hetero teenage boy. "I dunno, is this just infatuation over a hot girl, or is it love? Eh, fuck [s]her[/s]*, er, it, I mean doesn't matter, I'll figure out the love thing lat-, wait ohshitwhatamIthinking abort abort she's looking at me agghhh."

EDIT: *theoryland doesn't seem to support strike-through formatting.

[Gawyn] probably pops his collar. - Kivo
Mat's hat is a Darkfriend. - Daekyras
Old 12-18-2014, 06:02 AM
Youngling

Tomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant future

Just finished it, started it long ago but had to set it aside for a while.

I wonder if he had any symbolism issues naming the boy David. Who would go up against the big bad one.
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read. (Marx)
Old 01-17-2015, 12:46 AM
Hero of the Horn

Frenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Frenzy Send a message via Yahoo to Frenzy

Going to the Firefight booksigning tomorrow in El Cerrito CA. Hope to meet up with Camel there too. Haven't read the new book yet, though. Still stuck on Words of Radiance.

"How the hell do you Godwin a thread with CUCUMBERS!!?" -- Tru

"I love cucumber prawn... " -- Ivhon

"Have to catch me first. Scared shitless always outruns mad as hell." -- Sinistrum

"Some days I'm happy Frenzy doesn't live next door." -- Tamyrlin

"So Frenzy is a scientist then?" -- Davian
"Well duh. An Evil scientist. " -- Khoram
Old 01-17-2015, 05:47 AM
Hero of the Horn

Isabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via MSN to Isabel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenzy View Post
Going to the Firefight booksigning tomorrow in El Cerrito CA. Hope to meet up with Camel there too. Haven't read the new book yet, though. Still stuck on Words of Radiance.
Sounds good Have fun.
btw, the new book is much shorter. You can read that much much quiker than WoR
'Rand al'Thor, Nynaeve shrieked, that is the most outrageous thing I ever heard out of your mouth. The very idea of telling three women you love them! You are worse than a lecher. You apologize right now!'

Isabel sedai of the Green Ajah, Amyrlin of the Official Nynaeve Fanclub, first sister to Gennie Sedai of the Green Ajah, bonded to Camel, Wolf Gaidin, Jachthond and ghostrider.
Old 01-28-2015, 01:45 PM
Elder

Leanne is a jewel in the roughLeanne is a jewel in the roughLeanne is a jewel in the rough
Default Cancelled

Bummer! The signing that was about 10 minutes from me was cancelled because of the storm that never actually happened. Unfortunately many flights to the area were still delayed and/or cancelled. I read Steelheart as quickly as possible too. Gave up on reading the next when I realized it would be cancelled.