art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7653

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > General "Other" Books Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 02-23-2015, 01:40 AM
Elder

Rand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of light
Default What book/books got you hooked into reading?

By that, what book/book series first got you into reading in the first place?

Me, it was Animorphs back in the 2nd grade. Prior to this, all we read were those stupid little stories that never went anywhere, I would end up getting way ahead seeing if the stories actually went somewhere but never did. Then I saw book with the picture of a kid turning into a fly. Read that book (was kind of the middle of the series, but all of them had a little prologue at the beginning explaining how it all began), went and got all the previous books and all the ones currently out, and have been hooked on reading ever since.

Though I will say, I was obsessed with dinosaurs at the time, so outside of whatever books a 2nd grader could find on them, up until Animorphs, I otherwise did not bother with books unless forced too.
Old 02-23-2015, 02:56 AM
Hero of the Horn

Weird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant future

I'm old enough that the Dick and Jane readers in first grade were absolutely riveting; I couldn't wait for the next reading lesson.

I'm not quite sure which came first outside of reading class, Green Eggs and Ham or Curious George (there was only one Curious George when I first got hooked, not the dozens of books and TV episodes there are now.)

The highlight of First Grade (and every other elementary grade) for me was access to the school library.

Other series that figured prominently in feeding my reading addiction were OZ, Hardy Boys, Tom Swift, Tom Swift Junior, Nancy Drew, Tarzan, Jpohn Carter, Pelucidar, H.G Wells and the entire east wall of the local small town library in my home town -- eg the fiction section.

(Now if I could just figure out which questions they go to. )

I met you in a past life. You were wrong then, too.
Old 02-23-2015, 04:20 AM
Hero of the Horn

yks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond repute

Tricky to say - as far back as I remember, I've always loved reading. In fact, my mom says that nobody knows how I learned to read - apparently one moment I just read.

The first book I remember being obsessed about, reading it over and over and over again was the Hobbit; although that must have been when I was... maybe 8 or 9, and I'd definitely read other stuff before then. Mostly fairy tales, we had a huge collection of fairy tales: Andersen, Grimm, folklore tales both local and from the world over. The first book I ever bought from my pocket money was one of the Tarzan stories we didn't have yet. I also read the Tom Sawyer and Huck Finn stories, the Three Musketeers, the first few Narnia stories (because the later ones weren't translated yet, and by the time they were, I'd grown out of them), lots of Astrid Lindgren books - although a few of them were banned in the soviet times (Brothers Lionheart), Alice in Wonderland, Winny the Pooh... those are the more common Western ones I can remember, there were also Estonian children's books and some Russian ones, of course.

Bonded to JWB

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
-- Winston Churchill
Old 02-23-2015, 05:00 AM
Hero of the Horn

Mort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Mort

The first books I remember reading were Enid Blytons Famous Five series at maybe 9-10? Really liked the adventures as a kid.

"I discovered at an early age that if I talk long enough, I can make anything right or wrong. So either I am God, or truth is relative." - Jeff Winger, Community
----------

We rode on the winds of the rising storm, we ran to the sounds of thunder.
We danced among the lighting bolts, and tore the world asunder.

Old 02-23-2015, 05:37 AM
Elder

Daekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by yks 6nnetu hing View Post
Tricky to say - as far back as I remember, I've always loved reading. In fact, my mom says that nobody knows how I learned to read - apparently one moment I just read.

Awwww, Yks. We've talked about this....

I have 5 older brothers so I followed them in my reading.

In fact, I can pin point the exact moment I fell in love with a book/reading.

There were four of us in two sets of bunk beds in our room. I was 8 and my brothers were 10, 11 and 13. (and 2 girls in between those ages. Go Ireland).

Brian was 11 and was reading a book. I asked him what it was about. He then put on a performance as he described in great detail what the book was about. He read the little blurb at the back and put such emphasis on it I was enthralled. I couldn't wait to read it after he was done. That was the first novel that didn't have the Hardy boys in it.

The book was Magician by Raymond E Feist and he was my favourite writer(maybe David Gemmell) until 1991 when I "borrowed" the same brothers copy of The eye of the World....

He just got carried away a bit this time, probably as a result of his marriage-gonzothegreat

Son of Nazbaque, Lord of Fire
Old 02-23-2015, 05:45 AM
Hero of the Horn

yks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daekyras View Post
Awwww, Yks. We've talked about this....

I have 5 older brothers so I followed them in my reading.
hehe, I'm the eldest of three so it's probably not that I followed one of them More likely, it was my dad's typing machine that I used to admire and want to play with... a LOT. Actually maybe because I'm the eldest, I can remember that mom and dad used to read to us - always fairy tales, the ones with pictures were the best. But also adventure stories, I have a very vivid memory of dad reading (what I now know is) the first chapters of The Son of Tarzan to us

Bonded to JWB

-- Winston Churchill
Old 02-23-2015, 06:00 AM
Elder

Daekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
hehe, I'm the eldest of three so it's probably not that I followed one of them More likely, it was my dad's typing machine that I used to admire and want to play with... a LOT. Actually maybe because I'm the eldest, I can remember that mom and dad used to read to us - always fairy tales, the ones with pictures were the best. But also adventure stories, I have a very vivid memory of dad reading (what I now know is) the first chapters of The Son of Tarzan to us
Isn't it funny how memories like that can stay with us? My dad never read to us, he wasn't that kind of Dad, but I remember clearly him showing us how to tie our shoes. He had us practice on a door handle and then we had to tie our shoes. It is my first real memory and happened just before my first day of school. Thats my second really clear memory.

He just got carried away a bit this time, probably as a result of his marriage-gonzothegreat

Old 02-23-2015, 06:24 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daekyras View Post
Isn't it funny how memories like that can stay with us? My dad never read to us, he wasn't that kind of Dad, but I remember clearly him showing us how to tie our shoes. He had us practice on a door handle and then we had to tie our shoes. It is my first real memory and happened just before my first day of school. Thats my second really clear memory.
hehe, yes, memories are funny like that. I've a few that are probably a combination of a real memory and people telling me it happened - like, mom reading my favourite story for me and me correcting her "no, read the whole story" - because I knew it by heart and she wanted to skip ahead. I don't actually remember what the text was, I remember pointing at the printed words and knowing that that text went with that picture. But I'm pretty sure that this memory wasn't a single episode, like remembering my dad reading to us. That scene must have repeated many times for it to print itself into my head as I was... maybe 3 or 4 then. On the other hand, the memory of dad reading, I can almost hear his tone of voice and even whole paragraphs of those first few chapters of that particular book. Whenever I read them, I hear my father's voice.

For my reference, how old are kids in Ireland when they go to school? That is namely vastly different in Holland and Estonia - we had kindergarten from 2 until 6 or 7; and then at 7 (in some cases 6) you go to school. In Holland they call it "school" at 4 already.

Bonded to JWB

-- Winston Churchill
Old 02-23-2015, 06:39 AM
Elder

Quote:
hehe, yes, memories are funny like that. I've a few that are probably a combination of a real memory and people telling me it happened - like, mom reading my favourite story for me and me correcting her "no, read the whole story" - because I knew it by heart and she wanted to skip ahead. I don't actually remember what the text was, I remember pointing at the printed words and knowing that that text went with that picture. But I'm pretty sure that this memory wasn't a single episode, like remembering my dad reading to us. That scene must have repeated many times for it to print itself into my head as I was... maybe 3 or 4 then. On the other hand, the memory of dad reading, I can almost hear his tone of voice and even whole paragraphs of those first few chapters of that particular book. Whenever I read them, I hear my father's voice.

For my reference, how old are kids in Ireland when they go to school? That is namely vastly different in Holland and Estonia - we had kindergarten from 2 until 6 or 7; and then at 7 (in some cases 6) you go to school. In Holland they call it "school" at 4 already.
I was 4 going to primary school which was the norm back in the 80's.

Our two girls were both 5 and our little boy will probably be 6 on his first day. A lot depends on the time of year you were born. Most kids will be 5 in Ireland now as there is a "free" pre school year that was never there before.

I imagine you did tell your mam to read the whole thing. kids are very perceptive of things like that. And maybe you can remember it too. I can gaurantee she remembers it though.

Old 02-23-2015, 06:52 AM
Elder

Figbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant future

I can't remember my first book, like yks I can't remember a time when I ever didn't read. Mum once told me I read my first book at the age of three sat on a beach, I think it might have been the magic porridge pot? I have no recollection of it.

I don't particularly remember a lot of books or authors which stuck with me from being a young kid, apart from Enid Blyton, and mum worked in the local library which for me was like heaven so I think I ate through that like a .247 bookworm.. As I got older I'd just pick up anything I fancied from her bookshelves, so I read a lot of books which probably wouldn't be considered age appropriate really. I remember I was reading a Time to Kill when I started high school at the age of 13, and that deals with child rape and then murder and hate crimes in a pretty graphic way.

She got me into WoT at about 14 or 15 I think, she encouraged me to read a very wide range of fiction, she encouraged me to read full stop, I think because she was on her own with me when I was young and it was a very easy way for me to be occupied so she could get on with things. I have an awful lot of conversations with friends now about the sheer number of films I just never watched, and they don't get that I always preferred to just sit and read a book instead. Still do.
Old 02-23-2015, 07:12 AM
Hero of the Horn

right. I think the same applies in Estonia: school always starts on September 1; if you're 7 on or before September 1 then you go to school. However, if a kid gets the say-so from the kindergarten, they may "skip a year" and go to 1st grate at 6 already. I remember there being a discussion about my brother because his birthday is on September 5; and if he'd waited another year, he would have been effectively a year older than almost everyone else in his class.

I went at age 6, and while I was younger than most, I wasn't the youngest in my class.

Then again, back in Estonia, kids are supposed to know how to read and do simple math and write print by the time they go to school. So maybe that means kindergarten is actually the equivalent of pre-school?

but, back to books. For the longest time I used to pick my reading material based on the thickness of the book - the thicker the better. I read Les Miserables at 12 or so; and the three Musketeers, and all of its sequels, and Count Monte Christo, and Solaris, The Moonstone, Marco Polo... I even read Maxim Gorki's "Mother", lol, because I'd already read everything else and that was the thickest book of the soviet propaganda pile which I hadn't touched until then.

Bonded to JWB

-- Winston Churchill
Old 02-23-2015, 01:17 PM
Hero of the Horn

SauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to SauceyBlueConfetti

3rd grade, so maybe 8 years old,the teacher read Charlie and the Chocolate Factory aloud. I was mesmerized and found Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator to read as soon as she finished. Even at that age I recognized the need for MORE STORY!!!!
Yeah. Murderous Saucey. My superhero name
I am Detroit. You REALLY wanna call me wimpy?
Haphazardly Spell & Fact Checked Since June 2001

Last edited by SauceyBlueConfetti; 02-23-2015 at 01:20 PM.
Old 02-23-2015, 02:11 PM
Hero of the Horn

Isabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via MSN to Isabel

I am not sure what book i started reading.
I do know i read 'the letter for the king' by Tonke dragt a lot and read a lot of other books.

Around 10 / 11 i started reading books for adults.
'Rand al'Thor, Nynaeve shrieked, that is the most outrageous thing I ever heard out of your mouth. The very idea of telling three women you love them! You are worse than a lecher. You apologize right now!'

Isabel sedai of the Green Ajah, Amyrlin of the Official Nynaeve Fanclub, first sister to Gennie Sedai of the Green Ajah, bonded to Camel, Wolf Gaidin, Jachthond and ghostrider.
Old 02-23-2015, 03:24 PM
Elder

rand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant future

The first book I read that seriously got me interested in reading was Harry Potter. My mom read it to me right after it came out when I was something like 6 or 7. After that I started reading and rereading it on my own. Then I got into LOTR, Hobbit, Terry Brooks (I thought Shanara was pretty cool back then lol) and finally WoT sometime around 2001.

I'm sure I read stuff before Harry Potter, but that's the first one that really got me interested in fantasy and reading in general. It's also probably why I still love Harry Potter, since I essentially grew up with it.
Old 02-23-2015, 10:04 PM
Elder

Rand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by rand View Post
The first book I read that seriously got me interested in reading was Harry Potter. My mom read it to me right after it came out when I was something like 6 or 7. After that I started reading and rereading it on my own. Then I got into LOTR, Hobbit, Terry Brooks (I thought Shanara was pretty cool back then lol) and finally WoT sometime around 2001.

I'm sure I read stuff before Harry Potter, but that's the first one that really got me interested in fantasy and reading in general. It's also probably why I still love Harry Potter, since I essentially grew up with it.
I think Harry Potter was what got me into Fantasy as well, since the Animorphs series is/was sci-fi. My uncle got me the first two books (all that was out at the time) for my birthday back then.
Old 02-24-2015, 11:49 AM
Hero of the Horn

Sarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to behold

First series I read were the Kameleon and Arendsoog series, but I'm sure I'd been reading before that. No idea what, though.

the Grey Viper, the Lord of Forsaken Roads, the Pink Sunset
Old 02-25-2015, 11:03 PM
Elder

Khoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant future

I started off really reading with the Hardy Boys series. I'm pretty sure I read every single one if them. Then I migrated over to Harry Potter, and absolutely loved them. I also really liked the Shannara books, before I knew any better.

One book in particular that I remember reading over and over again was The Hatchet by Gary Paulsen. I had to read it for school, but I would always go back to it. There was something about it that caught my fancy.

Life is a dream from which we all must wake before we can dream again.

Al dival, al kiserai, al mashi! - For light, glory, and love!

Carai an manshimaya ayend'an! - Honor of my blade for the fallen.
Old 02-26-2015, 11:22 AM
Youngling

Tomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant future

I read The Hobbit when I was ~9 years old and then LOTR when I was about 12. Those are the ones I remember,, I'm sure there were others.

After LOTR I read D Eddings and T Brooks. I really liked Eddings until I read Jordan in the early 90's and noticed all the problems with Eddings books. I never really got into Brooks writing, I just read them because all the other fantasy reading kids did.

I had a two year period of reading Star wars books

After the mid 90's my book consumption was broader with more different kind of books, but that's another story.
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read. (Marx)
Old 02-26-2015, 01:09 PM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
and noticed all the problems with Eddings books.
There are zero problems with those books...they are all literary gold.

On a serious note, I recent reread The Elenium for the first time in probably 8-9 years. Those are pretty weakly written which saddens me as I loved them when I was 11-12 years old.

Still, they are miles better than that garbage that Terry Brooks wrote...of which I read most of those too back in the day. I tried to reread one of the early ones (I think it was Elfstones of Shannara) a year or so ago and it was just painful to read. You can walk across his entire "world" in like 5 days for one. Rainbow Lake is so large that you can paddle across it in a few hours. Going from the Dwarf lands to Elf lands on the far side of the map from each other is like a long 3 day journey.

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Theoryland: Just Some Crazy In A Pot
Old 02-26-2015, 01:58 PM
Elder

Khoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davian93 View Post
There are zero problems with those books...they are all literary gold.

On a serious note, I recent reread The Elenium for the first time in probably 8-9 years. Those are pretty weakly written which saddens me as I loved them when I was 11-12 years old.

Still, they are miles better than that garbage that Terry Brooks wrote...of which I read most of those too back in the day. I tried to reread one of the early ones (I think it was Elfstones of Shannara) a year or so ago and it was just painful to read. You can walk across his entire "world" in like 5 days for one. Rainbow Lake is so large that you can paddle across it in a few hours. Going from the Dwarf lands to Elf lands on the far side of the map from each other is like a long 3 day journey.
Maybe they just walk really quickly...

Life is a dream from which we all must wake before we can dream again.

Al dival, al kiserai, al mashi! - For light, glory, and love!

Carai an manshimaya ayend'an! - Honor of my blade for the fallen.